PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Dolphins attend Benn's Pro Day

Nublar7
03-21-2010, 06:22 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/dolphins-watch-arrelious-benns-impressive-pro-day.html

The wide receiver hungry Dolphins were on the Illinois campus over the weekend looking at a possible draft pick in the same place they found last year's first round pick in cornerback Vontae Davis.

The Dolphins had wide receiver coach Karl Dorrell on hand as to time, test, and talk to Arrelious Benn.

It was a good Pro Day for Benn by all accounts, as he ran a 4.42 and 4.40 on some watches but was timed as low as 4.38 on some stopwatches.

Benn also had a 37-inch vertical leap at 6-1 and 218 pounds.

CedarPhin
03-21-2010, 07:11 PM
He's the guy I want at WR.

#1dolphinsfan
03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
If we could trade down I am all for bringing him in

er22
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:07:17 -0700
Armando Salguero, of The Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins (http://www.finheaven.com/team/22/nfl) attended Illinois WR Arrelious Benn (http://www.finheaven.com/player/22282/nfl)'s Pro Day over the weekend. Benn ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 and 4.40 seconds and measured a 37-inch vertical jump during the workout

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0irEFoHyM (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0irEFoHyM)

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/dolphins-watch-arrelious-benns-impressive-pro-day.html

uga3406
03-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I want no part of him...This is the order The Phins wr options should go...Bryant, LaFell,Tate,Briscoe and then Williams from Tulane....

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 07:57 PM
jeremy williams has torn 2 acls already...as such he's not even on my board...

no damaged goods...same for denario alexander

DcRy82
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I want no part of him...This is the order The Phins wr options should go...Bryant, LaFell,Tate,Briscoe and then Williams from Tulane....

You want no part of Benn, yet you have LaFell as your 2nd WR? I like Tate a lot as well. LaFell and Williams make me scratch my head tho. LaFell is just as, if not more inconsistant than Benn. Doesnt have deep speed either.

lucid22
03-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Good to know we're at least showing some interest in Wide Receivers.

Travis34
03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
What round would he go in?

SamIam
03-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Thank god you are not our GM...

TheBow305
03-21-2010, 09:19 PM
He's a late first-early second guy. It would be nothing short of a miracle though if he fell to 43.

Kdawg954
03-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I have mocked him at 43, but truthfully, I think he is a mid to late 20's first round guy. Maybe Dallas, maybe Bmore . . . somebody will take him. If he fell to 43, that would be insane.

CedarPhin
03-21-2010, 09:45 PM
What round would he go in?

Late 1st-sometime in the 2nd.

Mr. Magoo
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Ireland raved about LaFell to our own poster hooshoops a few months back.

Link: http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f2/ireland-talks-chad-henne-and-the-wide-receiver-position-264026-3.html?highlight=ireland+mcclain+spikes#post1063213614

But he's had a mediocre to bad offseason, while Benn has gained momentum from a down season. Gotta wonder who'd be ahead of the other on their board now.

Any thoughts on this, hoos?

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Ireland raved about LaFell to our own poster hooshoops a few months back.

Link: http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f2/ireland-talks-chad-henne-and-the-wide-receiver-position-264026-3.html?highlight=ireland+mcclain+spikes#post1063213614

But he's had a mediocre to bad offseason, while Benn has gained momentum from a down season. Gotta wonder who'd be ahead of the other on their board now.

Any thoughts on this, hoos?

honestly i got no real idea...when i did talk to ireland it was november and we were still in the late teens to early 20's range for a draft pick...plus all the underclassmen had not committed to the draft so i think ireland may have just talked up the seniors to me...he really didn't seem to say much about a junior unless i asked specifically...

he did say lafell was the guy he liked when i brought up wrs but i hope he just hadn't done his underclassmen homework at that point...i think lafells lack of speed and small/questionable hands should hurt him on our board but who knows...these guys took patrick turner at #87 last year...

no telling really...i would think benn would be higher on our board...i know he is much higher on mine...

would ireland take benn over lets say gresham at te if they were both on the board??? i don't think so...he glowed about gresham

Ozfin77
03-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I wouldnt be against a trade down a couple times if possible (ala Browns last year) to pick Benn up in the 20's.

Then, with the picks we acculumate go after an OLB type then TE, maybe Jerry Hughes would be an option here?

XxfeensterxX
03-21-2010, 10:42 PM
I would just take Bey Bey at #43 instead of trying to trade up in the 2nd round.

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
if greshams knee checks out unless ireland was pulling my leg (which seeing the players we've shown interest in to date i don't think he was) i expect gresham to be very high on our draft board...

very high...of course with the depth at the position maybe they go elsewhere early...

i know he's my favorite te in the draft...i just think he's working off the rust right now...

LikeUntoGod
03-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Lafell has tiny hands, I hear he never orders a Whopper because he can't hold it..........:lol:

Mr. Magoo
03-21-2010, 11:16 PM
honestly i got no real idea...when i did talk to ireland it was november and we were still in the late teens to early 20's range for a draft pick...plus all the underclassmen had not committed to the draft so i think ireland may have just talked up the seniors to me...he really didn't seem to say much about a junior unless i asked specifically...

he did say lafell was the guy he liked when i brought up wrs but i hope he just hadn't done his underclassmen homework at that point...i think lafells lack of speed and small/questionable hands should hurt him on our board but who knows...these guys took patrick turner at #87 last year...

no telling really...i would think benn would be higher on our board...i know he is much higher on mine...

would ireland take benn over lets say gresham at te if they were both on the board??? i don't think so...he glowed about gresham

Agreed. Benn would definitely be above LaFell on my board. But if there's one thing we know about this regime's taste in WRs, it's going to be different from just about everyone else's taste in WRs.

Agree completely about Gresham as well. There was a point early on I thought he might be the pick @ #12. In hindsight that was rather foolish given the recovery time of his injury, but I'm firm in the belief that this regime places a huge priority on TEs and is willing to go after them early and often.

Should be interesting to see how the TEs shake out, frankly. There's so many good ones you could see teams tripping all over themselves to trade up and grab them. As far as the top guys go, there's a couple of landmines in the late first with Baltimore and Cincinnati. You would normally sort of pencil in Gronkowski to one and Gresham to the other but with Gronkowski's fickle back it's going to be hard to project where he goes until the medical people sign off on him. If he's healthy, and you know he's healthy, I think he should be the first guy off. Oklahoma's scheme dings Gresham in my mind. But then again, Jeff Ireland's mind is much better than my mind at these things.

Mentally I'm sort of bracing myself for Jimmy Graham to be the pick @ #43. I wouldn't do that personally but I have this ugly suspicion that where Ireland and company aren't willing to swing for the fences on WRs they are on TEs. Sparano's quote from the Senior Bowl about TE being the second hardest position to play after QB keeps ringing in my mind, especially given Parcells' long history of overdrafting TEs (see: Brady, Kyle).

Anyway, the first pick sets up everything. Hard to imagine any TE being the pick if we go Bryant in the first. But if we go, say, Thomas or Brandon Graham, all bets are off.

So many scenarios. The damn thing drives me batty.

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
god i hope it's not jimmy graham at #43...i really do...i was watching on my dvr the combine te workout again today and yeah the kid is really fast for a guy that size but i noticed that when he went to make cuts on routes he didn't sink his hips into his breaks or anything...was almost completely upright...imo that lack of suddenness in his breaks is gonna make up the difference between his speed and say a jermaine greshams speed in routes...

gresham wasn't exactly sinking his hips either but i'm right now at least gonna give him a slight pass with the knee...plus gresham has proven production to rely on...

the question i have is can jimmy graham learn the little tricks etc and how to run his routes to get open at the nfl level??? i'd say that's up for debate...also how will he handle physical play at the los and down the field???

guys who i did think sunk their hips well and showed suddenness in breaks were dickson and dickerson (although i'd expect that with dickerson given he worked out with the wrs at the senior bowl)

i would agree with your assessment that both cinci and baltimore are likely in play for top tight ends although i can see cinci going wr also...check that cinci signed antonio bryant i believe so yeah te...

ckparrothead
03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
The refinements of the TE position and running routes will come with time for Jimmy Graham. The reason you don't draft him at #43 is simply because you can't trust him. He's too young in his TE acclimation. When the ball is in the air, it's not his. Hell, he might not even know it's in the air yet. Look at that interception he caused at the Senior Bowl, not even looking for the ball in the air he lets it whizz right by him and into A.J. Edds' hands.

That's why you take Arrelious Benn or Demaryius Thomas a hundred times at #43 before you take Jimmy Graham...because even though they also lack refinement in their routes and their running, they have the instincts that when the ball is in the air, they're going to know it's in the air and it's their ball.

Some of the little things that you take for granted...you won't be able to take for granted with Jimmy Graham and that could make him hard to trust on the football field his rookie year. In the 2nd round I think you look to get someone that could make an impact on the field immediately.

I said before a long time ago that if Jimmy Graham did everything right this off season he could even get into the 2nd round. I had him as like a 4th rounder. He may get into the 2nd round but to me he didn't do everything right. He blew the doors off the Combine which I saw coming, but his Senior Bowl week of practice and game didn't show me that he was continuing his rocketship learning curve at quite the same pace that he did during the 2009 season. I have him solidly in the 3rd round. I'd take him with pick #74 and be happy about it.

As for Arrelious Benn, I'd be very happy picking him at #43. Between he, Demaryius and Golden Tate, I believe he's in the best position to make an immediate impact as a rookie. That doesn't mean he'll be the best, but he's got advantages over the others when it comes to rookie production.

jim1
03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
The refinements of the TE position and running routes will come with time for Jimmy Graham. The reason you don't draft him at #43 is simply because you can't trust him. He's too young in his TE acclimation. When the ball is in the air, it's not his. Hell, he might not even know it's in the air yet. Look at that interception he caused at the Senior Bowl, not even looking for the ball in the air he lets it whizz right by him and into A.J. Edds' hands.

That's why you take Arrelious Benn or Demaryius Thomas a hundred times at #43 before you take Jimmy Graham...because even though they also lack refinement in their routes and their running, they have the instincts that when the ball is in the air, they're going to know it's in the air and it's their ball.

Some of the little things that you take for granted...you won't be able to take for granted with Jimmy Graham and that could make him hard to trust on the football field his rookie year. In the 2nd round I think you look to get someone that could make an impact on the field immediately.

I said before a long time ago that if Jimmy Graham did everything right this off season he could even get into the 2nd round. I had him as like a 4th rounder. He may get into the 2nd round but to me he didn't do everything right. He blew the doors off the Combine which I saw coming, but his Senior Bowl week of practice and game didn't show me that he was continuing his rocketship learning curve at quite the same pace that he did during the 2009 season. I have him solidly in the 3rd round. I'd take him with pick #74 and be happy about it.

As for Arrelious Benn, I'd be very happy picking him at #43. Between he, Demaryius and Golden Tate, I believe he's in the best position to make an immediate impact as a rookie. That doesn't mean he'll be the best, but he's got advantages over the others when it comes to rookie production.

I still think that a case could be made to take Benn at #12. Would I take Benn over JPP? Absolutely. Dan Williams? Not sure. Sergio Kindle? Yes. Earl Thomas? Not sure, but probably not. Eric Berry? No. Dez Bryant? No. Rolando McClain? Yes. Brandon Spikes, as the bandwagon suggested not too long ago? Please... Brandon Graham? Not sure. DT? Yes. Too many questions for DT re: quickness, explosion and separation.

IF you look past the disaster that was last year. IF you look past the injury that plagued him all year. IF you focus on how his talents and strengths fit in tremendously with Miami. IF you look at where he would have been drafted after the 2008 season as opposed to last year. If all of this were taken into consideration- dude is a top 15 pick.

If I recall corerectly you made a comment about Benn lacking body control- I don't get that, I think that his body control is very good.

ChambersWI
03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
IMO, Benn is going to be a better pro than college player. His numbers suffered because of how the Illini's offense was constructed (all around Juice Williams, who really struggled his final 2 years at Illinois). He was used in a variety of ways while in college though.

j-off-her-doll
03-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I still think that a case could be made to take Benn at #12. Would I take Benn over JPP? Absolutely. Dan Williams? Not sure. Sergio Kindle? Yes. Earl Thomas? Not sure, but probably not. Eric Berry? No. Dez Bryant? No. Rolando McClain? Yes. Brandon Spikes, as the bandwagon suggested not too long ago? Please... Brandon Graham? Not sure. DT? Yes. Too many questions for DT re: quickness, explosion and separation.

IF you look past the disaster that was last year. IF you look past the injury that plagued him all year. IF you focus on how his talents and strengths fit in tremendously with Miami. IF you look at where he would have been drafted after the 2008 season as opposed to last year. If all of this were taken into consideration- dude is a top 15 pick.

If I recall corerectly you made a comment about Benn lacking body control- I don't get that, I think that his body control is very good.

I'd take him over Dan Williams, but that's not saying a lot. With the talent in the top two rounds, D. Thomas, A. Benn or one of the top-tier OLB's is falling to us at #43. No need to reach.

jim1
03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd take him over Dan Williams, but that's not saying a lot. With the talent in the top two rounds, D. Thomas, A. Benn or one of the top-tier OLB's is falling to us at #43. No need to reach.

Maybe, but I' not nearly as sure about this as you are. I don't see DT or especially benn falling to #43. As to the OLBs- maybe Worldis is there, I don't know. And in terms of LBs in general a good value in the second round might end up being Sean Lee, who I've been hoping for some time would be available to us in the 3rd.

The more that I think about it, the more I would say you're maybe right re: the OLBs and not so right re: the WRs. Maybe Jerry Hughes will end up being our 2nd rd guy, who knows.

Aqua and Orange
03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Wow, lot of people saying Benn at 12. I think that is a huge leap to make since no one has yet rated him that high, much less in the top 20.

I think the Dolphins are exploring every way to trade down, and barring that they are targeting Benn at 43. Unlikely, but they are doing their homework.

jim1
03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Wow, lot of people saying Benn at 12. I think that is a huge leap to make since no one has yet rated him that high, much less in the top 20.

I think the Dolphins are exploring every way to trade down, and barring that they are targeting Benn at 43. Unlikely, but they are doing their homework.

I really don't see Benn falling that far. The thing for me is if Dez Bryant and maybe Earl Thomas are gone, then what at #12? I've been on the Benn bandwagon for quite sometime but have seen no one else mentioning him at 12- who else has?, I'm curious. Benn would have been a likely target for the Ravens sans the Boldin trade, but he could still very well be on their radar, the Bengals', too. Rams/Bucs definite possibilities early 2nd rd if he lasted that far. Benn falling to #43 would be an absolute, unlikely gift.

ckparrothead
03-22-2010, 12:08 PM

It's more about maneuverability than it is body control. It's body control on the run. He's not a quick twitch guy from a maneuverability standpoint.

As for your question at #12...I think that even taking aside Dez Bryant and Eric Berry, if you take Benn over Earl Thomas, Brandon Graham, C.J. Spiller, or even Rolando McClain, you're full on into need picking. If Benn ends up not very good, you deserve to be criticized for "reaching" for a need rather than picking the best available player.

jim1
03-22-2010, 12:16 PM
It's more about maneuverability than it is body control. It's body control on the run. He's not a quick twitch guy from a maneuverability standpoint.

As for your question at #12...I think that even taking aside Dez Bryant and Eric Berry, if you take Benn over Earl Thomas, Brandon Graham, C.J. Spiller, or even Rolando McClain, you're full on into need picking. If Benn ends up not very good, you deserve to be criticized for "reaching" for a need rather than picking the best available player.

That is something that I've wrestled with and a good point. And I forgot to mention Spiller- I'd have to take Spiller over Benn, he's just too damn good as a runner, receiver, and KR. Too damn explosive to be passed up for an offense that's dying for explosion. I like Graham very much- the size issue and this regime's size requirements can't be ignored, though. McClain- factoring in the Dansby signing, the Crohn's disease and the fact that I like but don't love him, I'll take Benn. And to reiterate- JPP over Benn? No freaking way. JPP maturity and intelligence questions plus limited expericence and productivity make him a far too risky choice imo. And Gresham- I like the guy, but the injury history scares me out of taking him at #12- now that is a guy who I wouold hope to fall to #43. Do I take Benn over Gresham? Yes.

Add in the new pro day results and especially the sub 4.4 speed, and things change a bit, more upside revealed and buzz for Benn, no doubt.

But I ask you- if the clock were turned back one year, at what point in the draft could you see Benn taken?

hooshoops
03-22-2010, 12:25 PM
i say benn would have been a late 1 had he come out last year...not in front of hakeem nicks but probably right behind him...

this draft is deeper than last years draft imo maybe not at wr but overall so i think benn falls into the value of between pick 25-35...

and given the depth at te in this draft i would take benn at #43 and i would seriously consider moving up to pick #40 if he was still there to secure his services...maybe put ginn on the block with the #43 pick to get moved up somewhat...who knows

i'm not in love with benns overall game to take him top 15

j-off-her-doll
03-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Did a quick tally, and being conservative, I counted 39 players that can go in the 1st. This isn't taking into account teams reaching for 2nd-3rd RD talent in the 1st (happens every draft). I think there's a good chance we get one of the following players in the 2nd: S. Kindle, J. Hughes, A. Benn, D. Thomas. It's also likely that the Jets and Pats picks will directly impact which of these players are available.

At any rate, we're in a good position to go BPA at #12 and #43.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
We will take him if Bey Bey doesnt fall... I believe Bey Bey will fall???

hooshoops
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
if you get a chance put out those 39 names that are potential 1st round picks with 1st round grades...

i'm interested in seeing that list...

you guys can have bebe at #43...hasn't shown me enough on tape for me to go there...

j-off-her-doll
03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
if you get a chance put out those 39 names that are potential 1st round picks with 1st round grades...

i'm interested in seeing that list...

you guys can have bebe at #43...hasn't shown me enough on tape for me to go there...

He's on my list. And, the list isn't people who I would necessarily take in the 1st - but people who I see some teams liking in the 1st (T. Mays is a great example - I wouldn't want him before the 5th). I'll post the list in a bit.

j-off-her-doll
03-22-2010, 12:59 PM
QB: Bradford, Clausen
RB: Spiller, Matthews (Best could sneak into the 1st, but I didn't count him)
WR: Bryant, Benn, Thomas, Tate
TE: Gresham
OT: Okung, Davis, Cambell, Bulaga, Williams, Brown
OG: Iupati
C: Pouncey
4-3 DE: Pierre-Paul, Morgan, Dunlap
DT/NT: Suh, McCoy, Odrick, Williams, Cody, Price
3-4 OLB: Graham, Griffen, Hughes, Kindle
4-3 OLB: Weatherspoon, Washington (Bowman could be a surprise pick in the 1st, but I didn't list him)
ILB/MLB: McClain
CB: Haden, Jackson, Wilson, McCourty (also think P. Robinson has an outside shot, but didn't list him)
S: Berry, Thomas, Mays

Unless I can't count, that should be 39. Again, these aren't players I grade in the 1st - just people I see potentially going there.

hooshoops
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
can't argue with that...

AccordOn13z
03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm a HUGE Arrelious Benn fan but I could not possibly justify picking him at 12. If we trade down and pick him up in a late 17-21 spot range then fine. I definitely think hes a safer pick than Dez.

jim1
03-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm a HUGE Arrelious Benn fan but I could not possibly justify picking him at 12. If we trade down and pick him up in a late 17-21 spot range then fine. I definitely think hes a safer pick than Dez.

That trade down sounds great to me, but what if we can't do it? What if Bryant, Spiller and Earl Thomas are taken before us? Who do you take? That's my dilemma- I'm not thrilled with the thought of Benn at #12, just trying to make the point that who really is a value at #12 if those 3 are gone? I also wonder how high or low Jerry Hughes will go, rumor has it the dude is climbing the charts now. No doubt he can rush the passer.

Aqua and Orange
03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I really don't see Benn falling that far. The thing for me is if Dez Bryant and maybe Earl Thomas are gone, then what at #12? I've been on the Benn bandwagon for quite sometime but have seen no one else mentioning him at 12- who else has?, I'm curious. Benn would have been a likely target for the Ravens sans the Boldin trade, but he could still very well be on their radar, the Bengals', too. Rams/Bucs definite possibilities early 2nd rd if he lasted that far. Benn falling to #43 would be an absolute, unlikely gift.

I agree it is unlikely that he falls to 43, but this is a deep draft and crazier things have happened. The Dolphins were shocked and elated when Henne fell as far as he did in his draft, so there's a perfect example. I'd love Benn at 43 or in a trade down scenario.

ckparrothead
03-22-2010, 03:56 PM
QB: Bradford, Clausen
RB: Spiller, Matthews (Best could sneak into the 1st, but I didn't count him)
WR: Bryant, Benn, Thomas, Tate
TE: Gresham
OT: Okung, Davis, Cambell, Bulaga, Williams, Brown
OG: Iupati
C: Pouncey
4-3 DE: Pierre-Paul, Morgan, Dunlap
DT/NT: Suh, McCoy, Odrick, Williams, Cody, Price
3-4 OLB: Graham, Griffen, Hughes, Kindle
4-3 OLB: Weatherspoon, Washington (Bowman could be a surprise pick in the 1st, but I didn't list him)
ILB/MLB: McClain
CB: Haden, Jackson, Wilson, McCourty (also think P. Robinson has an outside shot, but didn't list him)
S: Berry, Thomas, Mays

Unless I can't count, that should be 39. Again, these aren't players I grade in the 1st - just people I see potentially going there.

I don't have Jermaine Gresham or any TE in the 1st round. I don't have Arrelious Bryant or Golden Tate as 1st round WRs. I don't have Markice Pouncey as a 1st round Center. I really have a very hard time imagining Bruce Campbell going in the 1st round. I don't have Carlos Dunlap as a 1st round DE. I don't have Terrence Cody as a 1st round DT. I don't have Sergio Kindle as a 1st round OLB. I don't have Taylor Mays as a 1st round Safety.

I'm back and forth on Jimmy Clausen as a 1st round QB.

I think that Geno Atkins is a name you're going to start hearing some more pretty soon. I agree that another CB could end up in the bottom of the 1st round.

hooshoops
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
i think the point was he could see the names he has going in round 1...not that he has them all as first round grades...

i don't have them all as first round prospects either...

ckparrothead
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I thought his point was there are 39 1st round caliber players in this draft and therefore it's beneficial to be picking at #43 because chances are good one of them will fall and we'll get a 1st round guy in the 2nd round.

If that's what he was saying, I disagree. If not, my mistake.

hooshoops
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
hmm...lol well maybe i misread it...:lol:

ckparrothead
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Never really have seen the fascination with Dunlap. I see the fascination with Pierre-Paul way more than I do with Carlos. At least when you're watching Pierre-Paul play, you can feel his power, feel his overwhelming athletic ability. With Carlos Dunlap, you're waiting...and waiting...and waiting...and wait, oh there I think I just saw it- no, that was just decent motor...waiting...waiting...

hooshoops
03-22-2010, 04:18 PM
i absolutely agree on dunlap...

jim1
03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't have Jermaine Gresham or any TE in the 1st round. I don't have Arrelious Bryant or Golden Tate as 1st round WRs. I don't have Markice Pouncey as a 1st round Center. I really have a very hard time imagining Bruce Campbell going in the 1st round. I don't have Carlos Dunlap as a 1st round DE. I don't have Terrence Cody as a 1st round DT. I don't have Sergio Kindle as a 1st round OLB. I don't have Taylor Mays as a 1st round Safety.

I'm back and forth on Jimmy Clausen as a 1st round QB.

I think that Geno Atkins is a name you're going to start hearing some more pretty soon. I agree that another CB could end up in the bottom of the 1st round.

I'm kind of surprised and rather refreshed to see what you have to say about Claussen. His arm is ok and he has good accuracy, but given the questions about his athletic ability and attitude I'm far form sold on him as a 1st rd talent. I remember him looking rather lousy until his senior year- and even that year it seemed to me that he threw quite a bit to his primary options and to premier targets who helped make him look good. I've read plenty to the contrary, but I just don't like him as a high pick.

ckparrothead
03-22-2010, 04:28 PM
The QB has to be a leader first and foremost. How can teams be sold that Clausen is a leader? Aside from that I have some nitpicks about his mechanics and the ball he throws, his pocket presence, etc.

hooshoops
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
clausen is a junior...and many of those balls that golden tate hauled in were beautifully thrown vertical passes...and most of the ones tate dropped were as well...

but we could debate qbs til the cows come home...and still not get anywhere...tough position to get a pro read on to me...

BARF
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
he would be a good choice if there in the second

j-off-her-doll
03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I thought his point was there are 39 1st round caliber players in this draft and therefore it's beneficial to be picking at #43 because chances are good one of them will fall and we'll get a 1st round guy in the 2nd round.

If that's what he was saying, I disagree. If not, my mistake.

It was meant to be a list of people who I can see going in the 1st - not that I'd rate as 1st RD talents. I used Mays as an example of a player I wouldn't touch anywhere near the 1st - but who I think will likely go there (for the combine numbers, etc.).

I think that a borderline 1st/high 2nd will likely fall to us at 43 - because of players like T. Mays.

I agree that each of the players you pointed out shouldn't be considered 1st RD talents - with the possible exception of Kindle. I have a late 1st RD (27-32) grade on him. But, I see coaches likely reaching for players like Cody, Campbell, and Mays. Needless to say, this is all speculation.