PDA

View Full Version : TCU LB Jerry Hughes worth the look

FinAtic8480
03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Tired of talking about Dez Bryant, Dan Williams, Sergio Kindle or Brandon Graham?

Don’t expect Derrick Morgan or Jason Pierre-Paul to be available at No. 12?

Then here’s another intriguing candidate for the Dolphins: TCU pass-rushing linebacker Jerry Hughes.

Hughes has received a mention here and there in the comments section, but hasn’t generate the buzz of those other players.

One NFL scout expects that to change during the coming weeks.

“This guy is going to rise up charts,” he said. “He’s hanging in weeds in early second round with most people. No one is talking about him, no one wants to let the cat out of the bag, no one wants to say, “I really like this kid.’

“A lot of teams hold in high regard when comes to 3-4 rush linebackers.”

A member of the New York Giants’ fan site Big Blue View thinks Hughes is a perfect fit for Bill Parcells.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/03/21/tcu-linebacker-jerry-hughes-could-be-worth-watching/

CK, let us in on this cat.

ChadHennington7
03-21-2010, 07:21 PM
I have a man crush on this guy. I don't think it happens though. I think Parcells will go for Thomas, if he is not there and Hughes is, heck yeah.

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 07:25 PM
he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft...

absolutely killed the lb drills at the combine...3-4 wolb all the way and imo top 20 player in the draft...

sleeper i think for pick #12 consideration...

just .01 behind worilds for fastest 10 yard split of the lbs

has great awareness and is very effective on his feet...weakness is poa strength vs the run but what wolb is a real bear vs the run???

motor runs hot and cold but when it's on it's on...

SR 7
03-21-2010, 07:30 PM
he's the best pure pass rusher in the draft...

absolutely killed the lb drills at the combine...3-4 wolb all the way and imo top 20 player in the draft...

sleeper i think for pick #12 consideration...

just .01 behind worilds for fastest 10 yard split of the lbs

has great awareness and is very effective on his feet...weakness is poa strength vs the run but what wolb is a real bear vs the run???

motor runs hot and cold but when it's on it's on...

drew comparisons to Ware last year after he decided to stay in school. Was talked about as the best pass rusher had he declared and is extremely similar to Ware coming out. I think he has a shot at being a Fin, only problem is Wake is our WOLB so that leaves teh question, where will Hughes fit in if Wake starts as expected.

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 07:40 PM
drew comparisons to Ware last year after he decided to stay in school. Was talked about as the best pass rusher had he declared and is extremely similar to Ware coming out. I think he has a shot at being a Fin, only problem is Wake is our WOLB so that leaves teh question, where will Hughes fit in if Wake starts as expected.

i believe that ck said in his mike nolan defense that the wolb is asked to cover about 30 percent of the time whereas in paul p's d the wolb was asked to cover only 10 percent...

if that's the case in nolans defense i don't know that wake given his limtations from a cod and awareness as a standup player role can be viewed as more than a 3rd down rusher with his hands in the dirt...not sure i see him being able to handle coverage responsibilities...

of course we'll find out...if hughes is drafted by us i'd say you know your answer...cause hughes is definitely a wolb...

SR 7
03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
i believe that ck said in his mike nolan defense that the wolb is asked to cover about 30 percent of the time whereas in paul p's d the wolb was asked to cover only 10 percent...

if that's the case in nolans defense i don't know that wake given his limtations from a cod and awareness as a standup player role can be viewed as more than a 3rd down rusher with his hands in the dirt...not sure i see him being able to handle coverage responsibilities...

of course we'll find out...if hughes is drafted by us i'd say you know your answer...cause hughes is definitely a wolb...

Good point. If the WOLB is required to cover 30% of the time then this becomes a rather big issue because then he isn't going to be much of a starter. I doubt he is only a hands in the dirt on passing down player but I also now question if he will start. Hughes becomes more of a possibility but is he any better in coverage than Wake would/can be because I haven't watched much of Hughes in that area so I don't know much about it.

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
hughes was used like most these conversion guys 4-3 end in college...not much down the field coverage...

but if any of these conversion guys project in coverage it would be for me jerry hughes...

he has such great feet an cod and in drills his pedal was db like...i mean for real

Mr. Magoo
03-21-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm not as high on Hughes as some but maybe that's because I'm looking at all of these guys from the perspective of "can they play the strong side, either right now or at least someday?"

That's probably too narrow a way to look at it but I do think that our much bigger need is at SOLB. I don't think Hughes gives you much there as a rookie and I'm not at all sold on his ability to do it in the future. I think he'll always be a weakside guy. Which hey, there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not what we need right now.

Right now I'd be okay going into training camp with Wake and Anderson on the weak side and spending our draft resources on the enormous hole on the strong side. Anderson I think has untapped potential, especially in this defense. And Wake I think is too valuable to replace in passing situations with Hughes or anyone else in this draft.

hooshoops
03-21-2010, 08:10 PM
no way would i take cameron wake off the field on 3rd down...i'm just saying he may rush as part of the down linemen with his hands in the dirt on 3rd down...

i absolutely want cameron wakes pass rush skills on the field...and as much as possible

if he can play the wolb and be effective on his feet...great...that's one less need to fill

although i'd still take jerry hughes at #43 and find ways to get him on the field...too much talent to pass up...

j-off-her-doll
03-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Also, on passing downs - 2nd down is often a passing down in the NFL - I can see Hughes playing SOLB. He'd be a 50/50 cover guy there. And, I love his agility and have confidence in his coverage ability, so you might have scenarios where Wake and Hughes are rushing or Hughes is in coverage.

But, asking Hughes to go from W to S - pending on the situation - might be too much.

Joey23
03-22-2010, 11:12 PM
I would't take him at #12, not because I don't like him but because I don't see value, and he won't be there at #43. I used to think he would but not anymore.

I rather go FS if we haven't picked one up yet and get Worilds at #43. Too bad, I used to think those 2 would be around an entire round later but not anymore, the way they are running on track and testing on drills.

bigchub22
03-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Cool story on him- (He was on sports620 ktar here in phoenix cause the cards like him) anyway he actually went to TCU as a running back and he was looking for his name and number in the low 20's like the rest of the running backs and couldn't find it. Come to find out Patterson (head coach) decided to switch him to Defense and his way of telling him was to put his name on the back of the 98 jersey and hang it on the locker........turned out to be a great decision I would say

phineffect
03-23-2010, 02:38 AM
i got this value talk. But what if the tuna thinks he is the next ware? Who cares about value if we the player we love and want!