PDA

View Full Version : 2010 draft, McClain BPA at #12

normaniii
03-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I was looking at the players we have been rumoured to take at #12.

Dez Bryant
Dan Williams
B.Graham
S.Kindle
J.Hughes
D.Morgan
JPP
R.McClain
Weatherspoon
E.Berry
Earl Thomas

IMO Parcells & Ireland will not select Bryant. Parcells, Henning & Sparano have all flirted around the term 'diva' receiver and would not take the risk of taking someone like Dez with 1st pick.

I like Dan Williams but Parcells has usually taken NT with lower picks and IMO Williams would be a reach here and I dont think is in consideration at #12.

At OLB, IMO B.Graham is the best fit. He would play opposite Wake/Taylor, can drop into coverage and provide a consistant pass rush. Morgan & JPP have been scouted as better DE in 4-3 and unable to be effective dropping into coverage. I a massive fan of J.Hughers but IMO is more of a Wake/Taylor type, superb at pass rush but may lack strength at POA. Kindle quite similar and has questionable effort, which is considered a strong point for Graham and we know how Parcells loves a hustle guy.

McClain would be superb fit IMO, but with Crowder and now Dansby, we have more pressing needs at FS and OLB.................unless FO is serious about playing Dansby at OLB. Weatherspoon IMO is a 4-3 OLB and too small I believe for a Parcells/Nolan ILB.

Berry is the ideal draft choice, but very, very slim he will be available. Thomas I like but looking at Parcells previous FS's, he seems to seek out that FS/SS type that has proven history of tackling, which is questionable with Thomas.

The reason I mention this, with Berry likely to be gone, looks more and more like we are targeting OLB, which is considered a strength in this years draft. I dont believe we get great value at #12 unless Berry is there. If FO is legitimate about playing Dansby at OLB, IMO, if available, McClain would be BPA on D side.

If we are targeting OLB I really believe we should trade down if the option is available. Gaining an extra 2nd and dropping to 20> would provide value in selecting an OLB/Earl Thomas/Dan Williams.

Thus board would look:-

Berry,
McClain,
Trade down,
OLB mentioned,
Thomas
Dan Williams
:up:

Kdawg954
03-21-2010, 09:52 PM
McClain is gonna be a very SOLID ILB in this league, but we have Crowder and Dansby inside already. Crowder, when healthy, is VERY serviceable . . . he should improve with a guy like Dansby next to him inside. We have GLARING holes in our defense right now. You may be right with the "Trifecta" passing on Dez Bryant . . . but I couldn't see us taking McClain over Earl Thomas or Brandon Graham. Pre Dansby, of course.

normaniii
03-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I dont see Morgan going before Graham. I just think Wake is not an every down player yet. Drafting MacClain, would allow Dansby to play over TE on 1st n 2nd down and then allow him to move inside bringing Wake in on 3rd downs. I think realisitically its between RM & BG, and IMO Graham at #12 fits a need, RM is BPA.

LikeUntoGod
03-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I like Earl Thomas there although I wish he was a bit taller. But there are a number of safeties I like including Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, Chad Jones and Reshad Jones and one should be there in the second round.

I have to admit that I also like Major Wright who I've seen lay some people out and can be had in the 3rd round.

I'd like to go OLB in the first but we need a SOLB with more height then Brandon Graham. We need someone who can fight off a TE and then go for the QB. IMO, we have a "B.Graham" in C.Wake so why look for another one?

The problem is that the Parchell's standard OLB does not seem to be in this draft. Look at his drafts with the Cowboys and you will see that he like OLBs that are at least 6'4".

And Bill is the kind of guy that will wait a year to get his guy. But I'm no longer sure after the "two Pats" picks that he is the final word in the draft so we might well see a guy taken that is not the perfect Parcell's OLB.

I think our draft will go FS, OLB, TE and NT in some order. I would like to see a speedster WR taken mid draft but I think that defense and TE is more important then another rookie WR right now.

j-off-her-doll
03-22-2010, 12:00 AM
This is ridiculous.

Before we signed Dansby, drafting McClain would have been a reach to fit a need (though, not our biggest need). Before the Dansby signing, drafting McClain wouldn't have been as bad as drafting Dan Williams, but it would have been in the same vein.

There are a number of OLB's who are clearly better than McClain. Both Berry and Thomas are better. I'd put Bryant, Benn, and D. Thomas ahead of him. Forget the LT's, Bradford, Spiller, and J. Odrick. McClain couldn't sniff BPA at 12.

normaniii
03-22-2010, 12:03 AM
This is ridiculous.

Before we signed Dansby, drafting McClain would have been a reach to fit a need (though, not our biggest need). Before the Dansby signing, drafting McClain wouldn't have been as bad as drafting Dan Williams, but it would have been in the same vein.

There are a number of OLB's who are clearly better than McClain. Both Berry and Thomas are better. I'd put Bryant, Benn, and D. Thomas ahead of him. Forget the LT's, Bradford, Spiller, and J. Odrick. McClain couldn't sniff BPA at 12.

Name those OLB that are projected higher than McClain!

j-off-her-doll
03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Graham
Hughes
Kindle
Griffen
Worilds
Morgan (if you consider him an OLB)
Pierre-Paul

I would even rate Sapp ahead of McClain.

normaniii
03-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Graham
Hughes
Kindle
Griffen
Worilds
Morgan (if you consider him an OLB)
Pierre-Paul

I would even rate Sapp ahead of McClain.

Morgan will never make a 3-4 OLB!

dr.jake
03-22-2010, 05:09 PM
i've got no problem with rolando mcclain at 12. he's young and obviously very good.