PDA

View Full Version : Where's the value at #12?

Joey23
03-23-2010, 12:03 AM
In 2005 we had the second overall pick, of course you can get value there, you can pick 249 out of nearly 250 available players, same for 2008.

In 2006 I really thought Manny Lawson was great value at #16 even if we went with Jason Allen. In 2007 I really wanted Quinn, and while he hasn't turned out just yet he was good value at #9.

In 2009 we where picking so late it was almost a certainty someone who shouldn't have been there would fall to us, it happens every year.

But I just don't see value at #12 this year.

I mean Berry won't be there.

Bryant might not be there either and even if he is, he is nowhere near a lock we will pick him even when WR is a big need and he represents great value.

Morgan might not be there either and while I think he will make a heck of a DE I'm not sure he could play OLB.

JPP and Kindle are so raw and stiff they will have trouble transitioning as DEs, let alone at OLB.

Thomas, Benn and Graham could all be had at least 5-6 picks later and if we end up picking one of them at #12 I will always feel we over drafted them and if they turn out like Allen/Ginn did I'll have a hard time getting over that and might start losing confidence on Ireland.

I just wish we trade down so bad.

Pinkboy
03-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Trade up for Berry.

get the best player in the draft.

Problem solved.

BARF
03-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Trade up for Berry.

Problem solved.

yeah but that means giving up a pick not happening

Joey23
03-23-2010, 12:18 AM
yeah but that means giving up a pick not happening

Yeah trading 6 spots to #6 would be very costly #43 at the very least. If we could move Ronnie for a 2nd. rounder I wouldn't be opposed to Spiller. Or if we think Dansby or Crowder or McClain himself could play SOLB I wouldn't mind taking him either.

Earl Thomas is probably my pick otherwise.

Horrible position to be picking honestly. Only advantages are the posibility of a trade down and the fact that we get to pick relatively early in the following rounds.

BARF
03-23-2010, 12:20 AM
there is too much talent in this draft all you need is more picks, TRADE DOWN, so we don't have to give too much money to a rookie

TKAllDay
03-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Ok I don't understand this talk of value. Value would only come into play if NONE of the rookies were busts. If the dolphins pick a player at 12 who is a great player for them but was "valued" in a lower range, what is the different? Sure Quinn was considered Value at our pick but he really was not value and our team recognized this. At 12 this year we may not have a guy of more 'value' fall to us at 12, but there will be guys at 12 that can be great players for us who are lower on the value chart. Realistically the only thing that matters is if we get a solid player with every pick.

Joey23
03-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah this is the one year where I wouldn't mind taking less than value for trading down, or trading down multiple times 'till we feel comfortable.

Even if we trade down out of range for our guy, that's what the insane amount of late round ammo could come in useful for, say we are eyeing some one at #19, but the team at #19 wont trade up, well trade down to #20 and give the team at #19 a sixth rounder.

Joey23
03-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Ok I don't understand this talk of value. Value would only come into play if NONE of the rookies were busts. If the dolphins pick a player at 12 who is a great player for them but was "valued" in a lower range, what is the different? Sure Quinn was considered Value at our pick but he really was not value and our team recognized this. At 12 this year we may not have a guy of more 'value' fall to us at 12, but there will be guys at 12 that can be great players for us who are lower on the value chart. Realistically the only thing that matters is if we get a solid player with every pick.

Well lets say you really want a 2010 Honda, but the guy at dealership tells you he only has 2009s left. You would expect a discount wouldn't you?

Let that alone but you would also expect to have to pay less in taxes and insurance. It's similar you don't get something overpriced just because it will do, or you will end up with Jason Allen and Ted Ginn.

In the other hand I do think Quinn would have turned out if the Browns hadn't toyed with Anderson so much and hadn't their GM and HC gotten fired. That's just me though.

#1dolphinsfan
03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Earl Thomas will be there IMO and if Bryant, and Berry are off the board i would like to draft him

j-off-her-doll
03-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Think you're dead wrong.

Would it be ideal to trade down a few spots and pick up extra picks? Maybe. It would depend on who we're in position to draft at #12 and the possibility of losing the player(s) before we draft next. We don't know who will be there at #12. And, we're not paying top-10 money.

There's only one player I'd be in the top 10 for in this draft (given Miami's needs): Eric Berry.

No1Phinatic
03-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Trading down is hard to do. Need a willing trade partner.

Danny
03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
the best value at 12 will be Bryant if he's there and that's who we'll take.Parcells is stuburn but he'll do the right thing and take the guy we need.

Ozzy rules!!

outlawd2u
03-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Well you don't really know the value of a draft pick until they perform in the NFL. A lot of people here though Brian Hartline was terrible value in the 4th round but now everybody loves him and thinks we got a steal. Guys like Spiller, Bryant, and Thomas could all be there at #12 and to me even just based on pre draft rankings any of those guys would be great value. There will be some very good players available at #12, and I don't really care what their pre ranked "value" is as long as they turn into good players in the NFL.

foozool13
03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Trade up for Berry.

Problem solved.

TRADING UP IS THE WORST THING TO DO IN THIS DRAFT ESPECIALLY FOR A SAFETY WHEN THERE IS SO MUCH DEPTH IN THE 2ND, 3RD , AND 4TH ROUND...

52CANES
03-24-2010, 12:23 PM
TRADING UP IS THE WORST THING TO DO IN THIS DRAFT ESPECIALLY FOR A SAFETY WHEN THERE IS SO MUCH DEPTH IN THE 2ND, 3RD , AND 4TH ROUND...

This is why I'm pretty sure we won't be trading DOWN either. all the teams want to trade down lol.

ColonelJ
03-24-2010, 12:38 PM
At 12 the value is in wide receivers. After Bay Bay, Benn, Bryant there are no #1 wide receivers.

Joey23
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Yes definately if Bryant where there he would be great value, so would be Berry and Morgan, they just have to make it there and if none of them does, that's what I'm afraid of.