PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams scheduled to meet with Dolphins

FinAtic8480
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
The Miami Dolphins will hold a private workout for former Syracuse wide receiver Mike Williams on Thursday, according to a league source.

AP
Will the Dolphins like what they see in Williams?
Williams is a very intriguing prospect heading into Aprilís draft. He was the Big Eastís leading receiver this past season before he quit the team in early November amid suspicion that he was on the verge of being suspended by head coach Doug Marrone.

Prior to leaving the Orange, Williams caught 49 passes for 746 yards and six touchdowns. The 22-year-old also set a Syracuse record in 2007 when he caught at least one touchdown pass in nine consecutive games.

Miamiís interest in Williams doesnít come as much of a surprise. The team has long been rumored to be in the market for a wide receiver considering the fact that their top three wideoutsóDavone Bess, Ted Ginn and Greg Camarilloócombined for just three touchdown receptions in 2009.t

http://bit.ly/cO5Voa

Boomer
03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Very, very interesting.

On talent alone he's the #2 WR in the draft for me.

hooshoops
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
anybody think that wr is still not on the must have list this draft???

shoot...we're gonna interview a guy with more flags than 6 flags...

WelcomeBack
03-23-2010, 03:58 PM
If the Dolphins seriously consider taking him, I sure hope those flags are down for good. Talent level alone, he's one of the best this year. But that quitting on the team leaves a sour taste in my mouth too.

hooshoops
03-23-2010, 03:59 PM
quitting questions about work ethic evidently didn't impress in interviews...

we're interviewing just about every wr out there...this year we're getting one with #1 potential...i can feel it

Boomer
03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
anybody think that wr is still not on the must have list this draft???

shoot...we're gonna interview a guy with more flags than 6 flags...

He makes Tiger Woods look honest.

WelcomeBack
03-23-2010, 04:02 PM

we're interviewing just about every wr out there...this year we're getting one with #1 potential...i can feel it

I hope so. Bryant would be ideal of course. But if Mike Williams can straighten up his act, his talent level is right there behind Dez.

WelcomeBack
03-23-2010, 04:03 PM
He makes Tiger Woods look honest.

That's hard to do :lol:

Boomer
03-23-2010, 04:03 PM

I pray we don't take a 3rd tier guy and consider it sorted.

hooshoops
03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
he's talented no doubt...but mike williams and south beach gives me nightmares...

hooshoops
03-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I pray we don't take a 3rd tier guy and consider it sorted.

agreed...that will bother me

if he doesn't have #1 wr potential and upside i don't see the point in using a pick on a wr unless we're gonna part with someone in house...

that's my take

uga3406
03-23-2010, 04:23 PM
I have no prb w/ him quitting the cuse last yr. Dam man if I was on their team and kept on losing, I quit too and so would you!

WelcomeBack
03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I have no prb w/ him quitting the cuse last yr. Dam man if I was on their team and kept on losing, I quit too and so would you!

Wrong. You're playing for a career as well. It's like going to school to study a major. You hope that it leads to something when you're done. Him quitting the football team brought a huge question mark over his head concerning his passion for the game. You'd be upset if any of the Dolphins players quit during or after the 1-15 season.

There's no excuse for quitting on your team because of losing.

#1dolphinsfan
03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
I am a fan of Mike Williams he is a good football player.

nick1
03-23-2010, 04:53 PM
i have no knowledge about mike williams but if he quit then pass

ghostface95
03-24-2010, 03:06 AM
he quit because he and a few teammates were involved in a car accident, and the accident had occurred around 5:30am (past curfew).

He went to his coach (Doug Barrone) and volunteered on his own that he quit the team instead of facing indefinite suspension.

Okay he violated a team rule which is commonplace at universities all over the U.S but did he stoop to such ignorance as the players from UT robbing a convenience store???? No

Was he involved in a brawl at a frat house like several MSU players were???? No

I'm not downplaying nor ignoring the fact of his violation that's all well and good but is that really worth all the bad press he's gotten since he quit Syracuse's football team????

52CANES
03-24-2010, 07:18 AM
he quit because he and a few teammates were involved in a car accident, and the accident had occurred around 5:30am (past curfew).

He went to his coach (Doug Barrone) and volunteered on his own that he quit the team instead of facing indefinite suspension.

Okay he violated a team rule which is commonplace at universities all over the U.S but did he stoop to such ignorance as the players from UT robbing a convenience store???? No

Was he involved in a brawl at a frat house like several MSU players were???? No

I'm not downplaying nor ignoring the fact of his violation that's all well and good but is that really worth all the bad press he's gotten since he quit Syracuse's football team????

I don't think the violation is what worries people its that he just gave up and dipped out on the team.

SnakeoilSeller
03-24-2010, 07:52 AM
I have to think it is all a smokescreen. They dont want Marshall, a proven NFL WR. But they are going to talk to Williams. I remember reading his attitude at the combine was horrible. This must be so Bryant or Thomas fall to them at #12 and they dont want anyone jumping in front of them.

jim1
03-24-2010, 08:19 AM
I still could see us taking a flyer on him in the 4th. Big risk, big reward. As long as he doesn't room with Incognito...

Danny
03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
I think we should just draft Bryant at 12 if he's there.....other than him I like Thomas tho there seem to be a few guys capable of helping us but all we need is a real play maker as we're set at WR from 2 to 5

Ozzy rules!!

BARF
03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
just the fact that he quit on the team turn me off

j-off-her-doll
03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
The draft is just a balance of risk/reward in conjunction with what your teem needs/wants. If Williams is available in the later rounds, he's a perfect prospect for Miami.

PhinsTD
03-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Dude has a lot of talent, but rarely does a player become great in the NFL without really wanting it. Couple that with his intelligence questions, and propensity to take the easy way out, I'd have to be really comfortable with his background check to take him.

dr.jake
03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
after a year long academic/ethics suspension all he had to do this year was keep his nose clean and he's a possible 1st rounder .if you're dumb enuf to still break the team rules and then to QUIT on your team and cost yourself 2-3 rounds easily and all the money that entails....well son you just ain't that smart! I SAY PASS.

MARSHALLAW305
03-24-2010, 06:54 PM
MIKE WILLIAMS is the truth, like dez bryant he has all the talent in the world it is just a question of can you get by the character flaws or not. His body structure is solid and his speed is good aswell. But what i like the most about him is his ability to control the line and take off. he is real fast in the first five with good ball hawking ability.

esafille
03-24-2010, 08:09 PM
This could be that steal of a #1 WR... akin to MN grabbing Moss late in the 1st b/c of his off-field concerns. I'd love to see this happen!

hooshoops
03-24-2010, 08:55 PM
i'd give him a look see in the 6th probably given we have no 5th rounder but there's too many red flags for me to use a pick in the first 4 rounds there...

skipp2myloo13
03-24-2010, 09:32 PM
MIKE WILLIAMS is the truth, like dez bryant he has all the talent in the world it is just a question of can you get by the character flaws or not. His body structure is solid and his speed is good aswell. But what i like the most about him is his ability to control the line and take off. he is real fast in the first five with good ball hawking ability.

What character flaws, may i ask, does Dez have?

Joey23
03-24-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't think he makes it past the 4th round. If anything the bengals will take him.

IF we feel comfortable with the value/risk/reward of the pick and we get an extra 4th from Smiley/Thigpen/Ginn/Camarillo I could see it happening.

Being we have only one 4th rounder I wouldn't spend it on him.

rrrrphin
03-25-2010, 08:00 AM
he's a 20/21 year old kid that has not made the most mature decisions thus far in his life.... similar to most people i would imagine
his problem is that he is an increibly gifted athlete and his decision come under a huge microscope of scrutiny... i can't imagine the temptations this kid has in front of him as a star athlete in a major university

Dolphins - due your due diegence. if his actions in the past appear truely habitual then take him off the board entirely...otherwise consider him in the 2nd/3rd/4th becuase his talent is that worthy.

Aqua and Orange
03-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Despite Williams' obvious talent, I was surprised to read that the Dolphins were bringing him in because his combine was not a good one at all.

The thing I noted the most, being a workout nut and realizing we already have a weak WR on our team in Ted Ginn, is that his numbers in the bench press sucked (8 reps, compared with the others who were at least in the double digits).

Despite a glowing review from some for the catches he made at the Scouting Combine, a league source offered a much more sobering assessment. "Mike Williams did not help himself," the source said. "He was supposed to be a 4.4 guy and was closer to 4.62. He was horrible in interviews blaming everyone but himself for his problems at Syracuse...He did catch the ball [at the Scouting Combine] but everything else was poor." The source also pointed out that Williams, who quit the Syracuse football team in November, won't be permitted to work out at the Orange Pro Day. "He is a great talent but a train wreck as a person," the source opined, expressing regret for the fact that draft experts who pump up Williams' chances are only setting the player and his family up for disappointment when reality strikes. Though it remains to be seen where Williams is drafted, the source believes he'll go in the late rounds, and possibly not at all. - Mike Florio, Pro Football Talk

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1115064

For those of you wanting his combine numbers (the passes he dropped in the skills portion are not listed...that was another thing that caught some eyes), go to Simon's Universal Draft site here:

http://www.universaldraft.com/position-rankings/2010/wide-receivers/

ckparrothead
03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
That blurb by Florio fits everything I've been thinking about Mike Williams.

Here's the problem. Every report of the guy's personality issues has been completely VALIDATED in my eyes by things I have seen for myself either in interviews, with some digging, or at the Combine itself.

In order to test well in Indy, you have to work hard. You don't just show up in street clothes and bust out your 4.4 and then go back to playing Xbox. He showed up at Indy and he was slow. And you know what? That's not what he is on the football field. On the football field he's fast, he's agile and he's vicious. I show on NFL Draft Scout a 4.53 with a 33.5 inch vert, 9'8" broad jump, 4.31 shuttle, 8 bench reps, 6.90 cone. At 6'2" and 221 lbs, it's enough to suggest that he does indeed have physical ability, but that he didn't really train for this as hard as the other guys.

That's an issue for me. I know that Blair White isn't as physically gifted on the football field as Mike Williams and yet the 6'2" and 209 lbs White beat the snot out of Mike Williams in every measure except the vertical and broad jump. Why? Because this guy WORKS hard and fights for everything he gets.

The bottom line is, that hard worker ends up a better pro more often than not.

I don't know how anyone can listen to Mike Williams talk about his cheating scandal, how it was all a misunderstanding that the notes he was studying off of at his desk prior to the test "just happened to be" the exact answers to the questions that were going to be on the test...I don't know how anyone can listen to this guy's post game interviews, hear him use the word "disrespect" to describe his coaches simply trying to correct his technique in practice...and come away thinking, hey this guy's not so bad after all.

What in God's name is going to happen when/if this kid has a little success? He couldn't take the heat under a disciplinarian up in Syracuse...how's he going to take the heat under a disciplinarian in Miami?

Character isn't just about what you do off the field that might get you arrested, or suspended. Character infiltrates everything you do in football, from stupid penalties on the field, to how you approach practice, how you approach the weight room, and how you accept coaching. Fail, fail, fail. For Mike Williams, it's all been a big fail.

Harry_Bagpipe
03-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Not a big fan of the low bench reps. Not because its essential for a WR but because it seems he doesnt want to work hard to be as good a player as he can be. Obviously he avoids hitting the weight room and that kinda laziness raises red flags for me

MARSHALLAW305
03-25-2010, 12:09 PM
What character flaws, may i ask, does Dez have?

Maybe not showing up to games or practices on time and not being a complete team player.