PDA

View Full Version : Pope failed to defrock U.S. sex abuse priest

BAMAPHIN 22
03-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Top Vatican officials ó including the future Pope Benedict XVI ó did not defrock a priest who molested as many as 200 deaf boys, even though several American bishops repeatedly warned them that failure to act on the matter could embarrass the church, according to church files newly unearthed as part of a lawsuit.

The internal correspondence from bishops in Wisconsin directly to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the future pope, shows that while church officials tussled over whether the priest should be dismissed, their highest priority was protecting the church from scandal.

The documents emerge as Pope Benedict is facing other accusations that he and direct subordinates often did not alert civilian authorities or discipline priests involved in sexual abuse when he served as an archbishop in Germany and as the Vaticanís chief doctrinal enforcer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36030565/ns/world_news-the_new_york_times/

NYCBillsFan
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
My problem is not with the church, or religion in this matter, although I hold religion to be useless as a guide for life, but with the cover-up and scope of damage that these sick individuals continue to get away with. Any institution that promotes or even fails to condemn these events should be disbanded immediately.

emeraldfin
03-25-2010, 08:43 PM
My problem is not with the church, or religion in this matter, although I hold religion to be useless as a guide for life, but with the cover-up and scope of damage that these sick individuals continue to get away with. Any institution that promotes or even fails to condemn these events should be disbanded immediately.

Sadly the Church have done very little regarding these type of issues. But because of this reluctance, but Church will be the ones who will ultimately suffer over their ignorance over these types of issues.

72champagne
03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
it isn't ignorance but rather belligerence in covering up.

GoonBoss
04-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Catholics.......I seriously.....I don't know. What is wrong. How can't you see that this sort of stuff is tearing and ripping at the moral fabric of all religion, not just your idol infused witchcraft?

Tetragrammaton
04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
I looked up papal resignations, and there has not been one in six hundred years. Could we be seeing one?

aesop
04-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Definitely will be no resignation. Just further propagation.

X-Pacolypse
04-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Catholics.......I seriously.....I don't know. What is wrong. How can't you see that this sort of stuff is tearing and ripping at the moral fabric of all religion, not just your idol infused witchcraft?

Ignoring serious problems is what they do. Just turn a blind eye to it and just continue to go to Sunday worship and sing those lame @ss songs, while after Mass another altar server gets raped.

Yeah, the Catholic faith is just TERRIFIC! :rolleyes2:

Tetragrammaton
04-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Definitely will be no resignation. Just further propagation.

Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I would think that if the church takes this sort of hardline approach, people will leave the institution.