PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Dolphins seriously considering Mike Iupati as their 1st pick

52CANES
03-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Armando posted on his twitter that the dolphins are seriously considering iupati

FinAtic8480
All the so-called experts as well as fans -- me included -- have for several months told you what the Dolphins' needs are without, you know, actually hearing it from the Dolphins. Those are among the closely guarded secrets of Team Big Tuna.
Well, the needs you heard about are still accurate. They're just incomplete.
The Dolphins can definitely use an OLB, a NT, WR, FS out of this draft.
But did you know LG should be on the list, too?
And perhaps even in the first round.
Surprised?
Don't be because the Dolphins have been, and continue to do much legwork on Idaho guard Michael Iupati, a 6-5, 331-pound behemoth that truly impressed on tape and continued to impress the Dolphins during the Senior Bowl week and in the game.
The Dolphins were so impressed they brought Iupati to town on March 15 and 16 for a visit. The Dolphins were the first team Iupati visited so they were obviously the first to recognize his potential worth. But they haven't been the last.
Iupati, who is expected to be available when Miami picks at No. 12 in the first round, has been a busy man lately, traveling to several other teams. The interest in him is substantial.
By the way, if the Dolphins go with an interior offensive lineman in the first round, it would almost have to be Iupati, as there isn't another player at the position that offers value so high. Iupati is the only one that does.
So why would Miami seriously consider Iupati at that spot?
Well, have you heard, they have interior offensive line issues. Still. The club is expecting to trade left guard Justin Smiley at some point this offseason. That creates a void at the position. I suppose Nate Garner, who started four games at the spot last year, could be a candidate to fill the void, but who else will compete for the job?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#ixzz0jDLAmSDq (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#ixzz0jDLAmSDq)

Miami starts working the media to trade down.

52CANES
I sure hope armando is wrong about this one... drafting iupati with #12.......ouch.

X-Pacolypse
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I love Iupati, but I would be in shock if Miami takes him at #12.

52CANES
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for posting the complete info. I tried to post and since i don't have 20 posts its still a huge pain to post twitters or articles lol.

FinAtic8480
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
No problem

TXFinFan
03-25-2010, 02:33 PM
I sure hope armando is wrong about this one... drafting iupati with #12.......ouch.

You don't have to hope very hard. Armando is guaranteed to be always wrong.

silvrwrx
03-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I actually wouldnt be all that mad if he fell to us, he a great player. he also fills a void we have if and when we trade smiley. I still think we NEED to go WR/S with 1 of our early picks. But good WR are also found i the 2nd round for example desean jackson...

Wildbill3
03-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I think i'd stop watching football if eric berry is sitting there at number 12, or Dez, and we select a freaking guard.

Seriously that would be worse IMO than the draft picks of Ted Ginn and pat white combined.

It would equal me losing all faith in the management. I say this is only a move to drum up the draft value of this guy so tthat another play might fall to us.

52CANES
03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I actually wouldnt be all that mad if he fell to us, he a great player. he also fills a void we have if and when we trade smiley. I still think we NEED to go WR/S with 1 of our early picks. But good WR are also found i the 2nd round for example desean jackson...

yeah but DeSean Jackson isn't available :)

VT Dolphan
03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
I smell smoke.

We can't seriously be investing more money in the offensive line, can we? Long's one of the highest paid players in the league. Carey got his money last offseason. We overpaid for Jake Grove. Smiley has a big contract, assuming we keep him.

Drafting a guard that high considering our other needs makes about as much sense as drafting Pat White did last year.

FinAtic8480
03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
It also could be said the Dolphins are seriously considering Earl Thomas who scheduled for a visit. Guys Lupati would be an awesome pick, but if the Fins were seriously considering him why would they be having Smiley on the block. A team usually does that when they feel they have depth.

This is a smoke screen, the media is sometimes use to draw report stuff like to get other teams to trade up. Bill has been known for using the media like this before and Mando was the first reporter to interview him. Don't buy to much into it, but also don't sleep on it.

Dredd1050
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
SMOKE!

cough
cough
cough

Sooo much smoke!!!

23EmilioVasquez
03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
wow a G at 12 is just wow

52CANES
03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
wow a G at 12 is just wow

Well if we had 1 G on our roster than ok I can see that... but we have so many we are trying to trade 1.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-25-2010, 02:45 PM
OMG if we take him I will cancel my NFL sunday Ticket subscription we have way bigger needs!!!!

FinAtic8480
03-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Beat writer Armando Salguero believes the Dolphins will seriously consider Idaho OG Mike Iupati at No. 12 overall.

We find this hard to believe. The Dolphins were the first team to host Iupati in mid-March, but guards just don't go that high in the draft. The Dolphins are already shopping Justin Smiley, and they have greater needs at outside linebacker, safety, nose tackle, and wide receiver.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

Guys this is your classic case of Smoke Screen, Fins are looking for trading partners to trade down. Look at the names the have visis with Lupati & Earl Thomas two guys who can be have after the 12 pick. Even Dan Williams is not said to be good value at 12. The only guy who can be there at 12 that I have seen Miami show strong interest in is Derrick Morgan.

SR 7
03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
cuz apparently Bengels want him...need O line help. So trade back with them get a 2nd or 3rd...well worth it to me but a 3rd, i just don't know about but definitely for a 2nd.

SR 7
03-25-2010, 02:49 PM
for me its Thomas all the way. He is ahead of Graham for me now at 12. After more film watching on Thomas I fell in love wiht him even more.

Roman529
03-25-2010, 03:04 PM
We would have two bulldozers on the left side of our line with Jake Long and Iupati, but we have so many other needs. We have to improve our passing game and be able to put more points on the board. Unless Graham, Spiller, Dez Bryant and a couple other guys are off the board, I don't think we can take Iupati.

UPFinFan
03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Beat writer Armando Salguero believes the Dolphins will seriously consider Idaho OG Mike Iupati at No. 12 overall.
We find this hard to believe. The Dolphins were the first team to host Iupati in mid-March, but guards just don't go that high in the draft. The Dolphins are already shopping Justin Smiley, and they have greater needs at outside linebacker, safety, nose tackle, and wide receiver.
:crazy:

JCfinfan
03-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I will puke!

ColonelJ
03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
I'd rather take an OT then. There will still be a few good OT's who could be moved inside. Anyway, I would also take John Jerry in the 2nd, rather than Iupati in the 1st. Is a guard really worth a 1st round pick? I think not.

hooshoops
03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
i'm all about taking john jerry or rodger saffold a bit later if it's between taking them at #43 or iupati at #12...

i think saffold could go in round 1 late...if not very early round 2...

Krush
03-25-2010, 03:51 PM
remember the hogs in washington

j-off-her-doll
03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
cuz apparently Bengels want him...need O line help. So trade back with them get a 2nd or 3rd...well worth it to me but a 3rd, i just don't know about but definitely for a 2nd.

Better get some real value - moving down 9 spots. Their 2nd RD pick would be the minimum I'd consider.

dr.jake
03-25-2010, 04:18 PM
remember the hogs in washington

larry little was undrafted.i really like iupati but 12 is too high.

ColonelJ
03-25-2010, 04:22 PM
i'm all about taking john jerry or rodger saffold a bit later if it's between taking them at #43 or iupati at #12...

i think saffold could go in round 1 late...if not very early round 2...

Agree. Saffold may go like Gosder Cherilous, maybe mid second.

RockyMtnPhinfan
03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Well can't say i am in favor of it, but to be honest we have gotten a lot less for similar picks (J. Allen #16 / Ginn #9). So if the guy comes in and is a bull dozer and starter for years he would be a "relatively valuable pick". Of course that is RELATIVE to our recent first round picks.

To be honest i highly doubt they pick a guard this high.....but the smokescreens are fun!!

utahphinsfan
03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
This is a smoke screen or as some of you say, "Armando is an idiot."

A move like this is not w/o precedence; The Bucs drafted an OG (D Joseph) in the 1st rd on '06 but that was with the 23rd pick and still shocking.

Mcganiel
03-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Would you guys please go read all the scouting reports on this kid. My goodness they all have him going in the second round. Some scouts even say thats to high. Some say he may go late in round one also. The kid is a monster i would love for us to get him in the second but he has only average speed. He will not be our first pick period. I'm really not sure why you guys would even think the front office would even pick him with our first.

Danny
03-25-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm not reading the whole thread but I just watched the senior bowl tape yesterday and while he's a good player I don't believe he's worth taking at 12.....most of the game he was holding and got called for it at least once, maybe twice? There were other times when he didn't get call for it but was clearly holding and grabing.......last time we took a guard in round one was back in 82 when we took Roy Foster.I just don't see it.

Ozzy rules!!

Aqua and Orange
03-25-2010, 06:59 PM
I will warn you that this is not an intelligent post, or well thought out, but sometimes my heart dictates what my hands write:

If we use our #12 pick to bolster our O line, I will throw my shoe at my television.

Fix the glaring holes in your castle walls before you decide to paint another gold trim on your chariot. The bodies we have to compete at guard are better than those elsewhere on our team.

Chucking Smiley away to reinforce this move might just make me throw my other shoe at the tv.

jim1
03-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Would you guys please go read all the scouting reports on this kid. My goodness they all have him going in the second round. Some scouts even say thats to high. Some say he may go late in round one also. The kid is a monster i would love for us to get him in the second but he has only average speed. He will not be our first pick period. I'm really not sure why you guys would even think the front office would even pick him with our first.

Draft Countdown has Iupati rated as the 13th best player in the draft. If Bryant, Spiller and Earl Thomas are gone I wouldn't mind taking him. With Smiley half way out the door and questions about how good Donald Thomas and Nate Garner are... if Iupati is the best value at #12, that's ok with me. Plenty of other picks to fill needs. They've got to find the best value at #12 imo. That being said, I do like Brandon Graham, but #12 seems high.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OG/Mike-Iupati.php

Iupati video:
http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Profiles/2010/Mike-Iupati

nice move at :30

TheBow305
03-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I would probably **** myself, then go vomit, then turn off the T.V. and go to bed.

jim1
03-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I would probably **** myself, then go vomit, then turn off the T.V. and go to bed.

I think that your prospective sit down turn around is short sighted.

Miamifin23
03-25-2010, 11:07 PM
If he's an alan faneca or steve hutchison type player then it's a great pick. Yes we have glaring needs at other positions ahead of G but Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano seem to build from the offensive and defensive lines, so if they think this kid is going to be a star then it wouldn't surprise me if they picked him.

#1dolphinsfan
03-25-2010, 11:38 PM
I like him just not in the first round

Phin-Phan 66
03-26-2010, 12:26 AM
This guy is a mauler, but I don't see him at 12. Perhaps it's just homework if we are able to swing a trade down with someone...

Zounds
03-26-2010, 12:34 AM
All this talk about trading Smiley and drafting Iupati is a sham. They just want someone to take the bait so we can trade down and draft Weatherspoon.

DefensiveEnd76
03-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Iupati is not just a guard but he is a tackle also. Maybe we'd trade Carey and plug him in as a right tackle??

Fins NY 72
03-26-2010, 04:38 PM
I would think that if you can help promote a guys value whom you are not really interested in it may allow one of the players you are interested in to fall. Believe not what you read right now.

fgrocker
03-26-2010, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't hate this pick. It's not ideal, but he is projected as an all-pro guard who has the versatility to move to tackle if needed. It would bolster our line immensely over the next few years if this happened.

finner
03-26-2010, 06:53 PM
He'd have to be an IMMEDIATE ALL-Pro G to take an interior OL that high IMO. Is he really THAT dominant?

ChambersWI
03-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Iupati could play OT if needed, but he's got All-Pro guard written all over him. I know teams like Pittsburgh, Cincy, Chicago, and others love the guy. He's definatly the time of OL Sparano would fall in love with.

Not my top choice, as I think even if we trade Smiley, we have a decent rotaion of interior linemen with Thomas, Grove, Incognito, Berger, and Garner.

dolfan91
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
I would not be surprised one bit, if the Dolphins selected Iupati @ #12 ... this regime is O-line crazy ... and Iupati is the best Offensive Guard Prospect in many years ... if Iupati is selected, i would expect Miami to draft the best available Safety Prospect in round #2 @ #43 ... Guys like Morgan Burnett, Nate Allen and the wild card Reshad Jones all could be there for Miami when they pick in round #2 ... if Miami is truly interested in WR's perhaps in round's 4-6 will be the target rounds to choose one; especially if a guy like Mike Williams and his talent level is STILL available ... than the Mike Iupati pick at #12, makes sense ... and would leave them the option; try and hit the need areas like NT, FS and OLB from round #2-4 ... just my opinion!!!

Clipse
03-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Please god, no.... Love Iupati, hate the idea of a ****ing guard at #12.

finfan54
03-27-2010, 02:45 AM
I told people on here...If a guy is going to be a PB G for many many years, dont ya think we would consider it?

Well, eat crap and live cus we aint draftin Bryant or Berry. Just get over it now, so you dont get the big letdown later. it gets old fast.

TheBow305
03-27-2010, 04:11 AM
I think this Iupati love is a little excessive. There were reports after the Senior Bowl that he even looked out of place moving from one guard spot to another and were concerns that he might only be a RG in the NFL. And now he can be a OT prospect? Give me a break. This guys good, but this is just getting ridiculous.

miamirw
03-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Okay, assuming we get a 4th rounder for Smiley, this looks like a good way to go...

1. Mike Iupati, OG
2. Reshad Jones, FS
3. Demarius Thomas, WR
4. Eric Norwood, OLB
4. Jeff Owens, NT
6. Kam Chancellor, FS
6. Anthony McCoy, TE
6. Daryl Sharpton, ILB
7. Selvish Capers, OT
7. OLB
7. WR

Phin-Phan 66
03-27-2010, 08:55 AM
what makes you think D Thomas will be there in the 3rd round?