PDA

View Full Version : Draft Perspective

RealDriscoll
03-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Hello All,

I feel like I haven't been around in forever as I was battling some serious health issues that someone at the age of 27 shouldn't be battling but I am back. While I was gone the Dolphins landed Karlos Dansby in free agency, cut Gibril Wilson, Re-signed Chad Pennington, and have reportedly put Justin Smiley on the trading block. I am surprised by the lack of activity for the Fins in free-agency as I thought they were primed to land Antrell Rolle as well. The Ryan Clark situation I found very interesting b/c it seemed like he was a lock at free safety as well. So right now our starting Free Safety is a battle between Chris Clemons and Tyrone Culver. Might tip our cap about what we are thinking in April. We all know that I might be the biggest Chad Pennington mark on this board so locking him up for another year made me happy. I am a HUGE fan of the Richie Icognito signing as I think he is the immediate starter at Right Guard and I love the mean streak he brings. I am surprised that we are looking to move Smiley but he is injury prone but I can almost guarantee we won't get a 3rd Rounder for him. maybe a 4th; Karlos Dansby was the biggest splash I remeber the Fins making since trading for Ricky Williams and I think Dansby immediatly upgrades our defense far more than a Rolando McClain could. Dansby is a GREAT football player and this allows us to address other areas of need in the draft.

I think it's safe to assume that Wide Receiver, Free Safety, Outside Linebacker, and Nose Tackle are the major areas of need for this team but I wouldn't rule out a Left Guard or a Defensive End by any means. Here is my list of people we will consider at #12...

*Dez Bryant-WR-Oklahoma State-The Dolphins need that legitimate #1 receiver threat and I see Dez Bryant in the mold of Andre Johnson. Dez Bryant would give Chad Henne a viable weapon immediatly and would make players such as Davone Bess, Brian Hartline, and even Ted Ginn Jr. better immediatly. I know their are concerns with Bryant off the field but I am not buying it. I think the Dolphins have him high on their radar and if he should fall past the Browns, Jaguars, Bills, and Broncos than I think the Dolphins will take a hard, long, look at Dez Bryant.

*CJ Spiller-RB-Clemson-This guy is Mr. Electric and i know people will say that Running Back isn;t a major need bu Ricky Williams window is getting smaller and Ronnie Brown is in a contract year which didn't start off right with his recent DWI arrest. CJ Spiller is a special player who is a big-play threat every-time the ball is in his hands. He reminds me so much of Chris Johnson that I think our franchise would be ignorant to not take a look at him. Chances are that he is available at #12 as I don't see anyone in the top 10 with the exception of Seattle really looking at a Running Back.

*Sergio Kindle-OLB-Texas-I know people have mixed feelings on Kindle but I must admit I am very high on him. I watched this guy play his arse off in the National Championship game and think he could be a lethal pass rusher in our 3-4 defense. Mike Mayock thinks he is the 7th best player in this entire draft which is really saying something. Kindle has good speed but would need to get better in coverage and against the run.

*Earl Thomas-FS-Texas-The debate is who is the best Free Safety in this draft, Eric Berry or Earl Thomas. I can tell you it's close, damn close. Eric Berry won't be available at #12 but Earl Thomas will. Thomas is an absolute stud. He can cover, he has great ball skills, he can tackle, he is a special talent. They need to take a look at this guy. Our secondary would look great with Sean Smith, Vontae Davis, and Earl Thomas.

*Mike Iupati-OG-Idaho- I know this wouldn't be a popular choice but there is no denying that iupati is the best Left guard to come out in a long time. Drafting Iupati could give the Dolphins the best line in football when you look at Jake Long, Mike Iupati, Jake Grive, Richie Icognito, Vernon Carey with Andrew Gardner, Joe Berger, Nate Garner, and Donald Thomas providing great interior depth.

*Jason Paul Pierre-OLB-South Florida- I don't know much about this guy besides that he is an amazing athlete and a pass rushing demon. I dont think the Dolphins take him this high because he is way too raw. A JUCO transfer who doesn't have much time playing at high level doesn't really fit into a Bill Parcells draft.

*Derrick Morgan-OLB-Georgia Tech- Morgan could potentially be a great SOLB in our defensive system. I question his ability to cover but love his pass rushing ability. Morgan was the ACC Defensive Player of the Year and that is saying something.

*Brandon Graham-OLB-Michigan-Productive. That is the word that describes Graham. He led the nation in tackles for a loss and was the most impressive player at the Senior Bowl in my opinion. The knock on him is that he has short arms but I watch this guy on film and see a guy who can get after the Quarterback and play against the run.

*Dan Williams-NT-Tennessee-Williams was impressive and the Dolphins coaching staff got to take a long look at him. I just don't seem them taking a guy who is a two down player with pick #12 in the draft. I think we are high on Paul Soliai and Jason Ferguson will be back and healthy mid way through the season.

*Other players I see as wild-cards are Jermaine Gresham TE of Oklahoma, Jared Odrick DT of Penn State, Everson Griffen DE/OLB-USC, Rolando McClain ILB of Alabama, and possibly Jerry Hughes OLB of TCU. Round 2 is going to make or break this draft IMO and players I am very keen on include Morgan Burnett FS of Georgia Tech, Terrence Cody NT of Alabama, Arrelious Benn WR of Illinois, and Jason Worlids OLB of Virginia Tech.

jim1
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Hope you're feeling better.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Nice post, I think you are on the mark with all comments.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-25-2010, 05:47 PM
BTW....Did Lionel Osborne help you with the title of this post?

Link....http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/perspectives/274927/

j-off-her-doll
03-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Assuming Berry is off the board, this is my order:

1. E. Thomas - dynamic ball hawk/cover safety. Would have a legitimate chance to be the next E. Reed under Nolan. Been saying it for months.
2. C. Spiller - if we're able to get something for R. Brown. Best non-lineman offensive player in the draft. To me, he's a cross between C. Johnson and M. Faulk - in terms of potential. By that I mean that he's a better receiver than Johnson and the best receiving prospect at RB since Faulk.
3. D. Bryant - somewhere between TO and A. Boldin in style of play.
4. B. Graham - best SOLB prospect in the draft - with the possible exception of D. Morgan. But, give me Graham at SOLB (would take Morgan at 4-3 DE).
5. J. Hughes - best pass rusher in the draft. Would depend on our comfort level with Wake as a WOLB.

jim1
03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Assuming Berry is off the board, this is my order:

1. E. Thomas - dynamic ball hawk/cover safety. Would have a legitimate chance to be the next E. Reed under Nolan. Been saying it for months.
2. C. Spiller - if we're able to get something for R. Brown. Best non-lineman offensive player in the draft. To me, he's a cross between C. Johnson and M. Faulk - in terms of potential. By that I mean that he's a better receiver than Johnson and the best receiving prospect at RB since Faulk.
3. D. Bryant - somewhere between TO and A. Boldin in style of play.
4. B. Graham - best SOLB prospect in the draft - with the possible exception of D. Morgan. But, give me Graham at SOLB (would take Morgan at 4-3 DE).
5. J. Hughes - best pass rusher in the draft. Would depend on our comfort level with Wake as a WOLB.

I'd rather take an offensive explosive guy in the 1st than hope that a defensive pick/reach was going to work out. Of all the defensive guys mentioned, I'd go Earl Thomas and then Brandon Graham. I'd have no problem with Thomas as the selection btw. I like Jerry Hughes, but i'd rather see what Cameron Wake can do. Graham is just a football player, hard to argue with him. And if Iupati is really that good- so be it. There are plenty of other picks in the draft to fill needs- the key word for me in round one is value. The Ravens seem to have that philosophy down pat, I like Ozzie Newsome's style. Bottom line- still hoping that Dez Bryant will be there. If not, Earl Thomas.

Mcganiel
03-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I still have McClain as our number one player on the board. Bill Parcels loves linbackers.

Aqua and Orange
03-25-2010, 07:17 PM
BTW....Did Lionel Osborne help you with the title of this post?

Link....http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/perspectives/274927/

I thought I was the only one that thought of this! Well done.

I find it crazy how quickly opinions change heading into the draft. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE had us drafting McClain and now it would be a huge surprise if we drafted him.

As for my top 5 draft hopefuls, they go:

1) Dez Bryant
2) Eric Berry
3) Brandon Graham
4) Earl Thomas
5) CJ Spiller

showstopper
03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Not sure Spiller is an every down back? And if the answer is, he's not, then no matter how good he is, he can't be a #12 over all pick. Speaking of Earl Thomas vs Berry, and if they are comparable, and if indeed Berry is better. I remember many years ago when, Edgerrin James was drafted ahead of Ricky Williams, and how shocked every one was. Could the same thing happen this year, with the top 2 safeties, and Thomas is selected before Berry?