PDA

View Full Version : Eric Berry & Dez Bryant & Fins DRAFT STRATEGY

TrinidadDolfan
03-26-2010, 06:33 PM
FACT - Ireland & co., as any draft team would do, would not be naiive enough to single out one player and one player only for our 1st round pick. There will be a handful of players they would list as "justifiable" with the 12th pick. The list would include some players presently projected to go higher (in case of fall) , as well as a very small set of players set to go right after our pick.

No one knows how the picks above us would unfold, and that is the reason for not locking onto one player beforehand.

While they might have a particular favorite that they believe would have a good chance of being there at 12, no one would be a lock at this point.

However, the closer we get, the more I think that Ireland & Co. may be drawn to either Berry or Dez if they come close to 12. Do I think that we would jump if berry was still there at.....say 7? Not really.....Price may be too high.....But if Berry is still there at 10 I would bet that we pull the trigger to land him.

That takes us to Dez. This one is a harder sell given the recent bad "press" r/e having to hire someone to "wake him up for meetings/practice" etc. I will go out on a limb and say that if Dez OR Berry make it to 10, the Fins make a move to jump and get one of them.

If both are there, then Berry is our man. If Dez is the only of the 2 left, then we attempt to get him.

O.k, o.k, please refrain from saying that Berry "will not be there". I know that is a strong possibility. At any rate, it is anyone's guess how this will play out, but that is my guess. Just a guess as to what will happen.

LikeUntoGod
03-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow, another Eric Berry/Dez Bryant thread......................:rolleyes:

It seems like 70-80% of the time Dolphin fans are talking about players that we are not going to draft.

FYI:

There are other players.
There are other players we are more likely to draft.
There are other rounds besides the 1st one.

TrinidadDolfan
03-26-2010, 06:55 PM
wow, is the server acting strange or what?

TrinidadDolfan
03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Wow, another Eric Berry/Dez Bryant thread......................:rolleyes:

It seems like 70-80% of the time Dolphin fans are talking about players that we are not going to draft.

We are ALL speculating, and that is what makes this time of year both fun as well as a bit nerve-wracking.

I would love to see the source of your solid inside info since you state your comment as fact.

Come on man.....

TrinidadDolfan
03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
If we did have to move up 2 spots, I hope that we could do so with moving out a player or two rather than losing a pick somewhere down the line. Got the feeling that if we have the chance to grab one of these guys that we will pull the trigger.

hammond47
03-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Trinidad - I doubt we would move up, but I like those two guys as targets. If neither is there at 12 I hope we can trade down. Since there is evidentally no chance we draft either of them, maybe we move down and get earl thomas and then mike williams later on in the draft

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Trinidad - I doubt we would move up, but I like those two guys as targets. If neither is there at 12 I hope we can trade down. Since there is evidentally no chance we draft either of them, maybe we move down and get earl thomas and then mike williams later on in the draft

I like your thinking. Every year we talk about trading down as though it is fairly easy to do, but I wonder how realistic that is.....

The draft used to be an "art", but is becoming more and more of a science. While there are busts every year, I think that it happens much less than before. Contracts are so huge now, players are dissected completely.

Because of this, a fair value is (for the most part) placed on each player to be picked, and JJ's trade value chart is not really used as the trading bible anymore.

bert
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
i agree.we will not give up a 2nd to move up a couple of spots,but the pats will.if the pats want dez or berry .they will move to the jags spot just ahead of us.giving up one of there 3-2nd round picks. plus the jags dont move that far back .screwing us and sending this forum nuts.

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
i agree.we will not give up a 2nd to move up a couple of spots,but the pats will.if the pats want dez or berry .they will move to the jags spot just ahead of us.giving up one of there 3-2nd round picks. plus the jags dont move that far back .screwing us and sending this forum nuts.

Well, I am sure that we will all be holding our breath to see what the Pats do on draft day. Unfortunately they have a knack for picking well, and they sure as hell have the ammo to do some damage in this deep draft.

I really don't think that it will take our #2 to move up 2 spots. Perhaps it could take a player or two to switch positions.

I do know that if the Pats get Berry or Dez that you are right, the forum will know ballistic....me included.

MadDog 88
03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
I am tired of hearing how the Pats draft well. They accumulate a lot of picks but have not had a real solid draft in several years.

52CANES
03-29-2010, 07:47 PM
To move from pick #10 from #12 it would cost us something like a 3rd or 4th round pick, or a next years 2nd or 3rd round.

Worth it for Berry? MAYBE..but I doubt he's there.

To go from 12 to 6, it would cost us the 43 or our 3rd AND 4th.

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
I am tired of hearing how the Pats draft well. They accumulate a lot of picks but have not had a real solid draft in several years.

It seems that you are right. Too many of us (me included) see the low-round Brady "steal" everytime we think NE draft success.

Here is a quote that substantiates what you are saying -

http://blogs.southcoasttoday.com/patriots/2009/04/09/forbes-calls-patriots-nfls-worst-drafters/

"But according to Forbes, the absolute worse-drafting team over the past three years is the New England Patriots, noting that they retained “only a little more than half their drafted players.” Well, Forbes, the Patriots have always been considered a “veteran” team under Bill Belichick, with only a few rookies breaking through here and there. For the most part, Patriot rookies are expected to be quick learners if they hope to make the roster, and even more so if they hope to crack the rotation. And Belichick isn’t shy about turning to undrafted free agents as well, something that wouldn’t fit under the Forbes formula.
Plus, the reason why Belichick stockpiles so many draft picks each year is so he can swing deals that allow him to acquire veteran talent that can keep the team winning now, as opposed to building a team for the future. Potential draftees instead turn into Randy Moss and Wes Welker, who go on to lead the Patriots to break almost every offensive record in the book and a spot in the Super Bowl. But at the same time, nobody can fault the Pats’ system, which has not only brought in veterans but also built home-grown talent as well, especially on the offensive and defensive lines."

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 08:20 PM
To move from pick #10 from #12 it would cost us something like a 3rd or 4th round pick, or a next years 2nd or 3rd round.

Worth it for Berry? MAYBE..but I doubt he's there.

To go from 12 to 6, it would cost us the 43 or our 3rd AND 4th.

Are you quoting from the JJ draft Value Chart?

I think that most of us agree that the chart might have been fine for JJ and his team, but it really unrealistic these days.

52CANES
03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Are you quoting from the JJ draft Value Chart?

I think that most of us agree that the chart might have been fine for JJ and his team, but it really unrealistic these days.

Its a starting point. Why is it so unrealistic when every team has a copy of it?

XxfeensterxX
03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
We are ALL speculating, and that is what makes this time of year both fun as well as a bit nerve-wracking.

I would love to see the source of your solid inside info since you state your comment as fact.

Come on man.....

Yeah Id love to see his sources also.

Its the offseason though, if people didnt make threads speculating we wouldnt have much to read. I love reading all the threads no matter how stupid some people believe them to be, just intresting stuff.

And do I think we will move up for Berry? Not really, unless we already have a deal in place with Seattle/Cleveland to trade them Smiley+pick and our 1st to move up.

Berry is still the dream pick for me, but Brandon Graham/Earl Thomas/Dez Bryant at 12 would be exciting for me also.

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah Id love to see his sources also.

Its the offseason though, if people didnt make threads speculating we wouldnt have much to read. I love reading all the threads no matter how stupid some people believe them to be, just intresting stuff.

And do I think we will move up for Berry? Not really, unless we already have a deal in place with Seattle/Cleveland to trade them Smiley+pick and our 1st to move up.

Berry is still the dream pick for me, but Brandon Graham/Earl Thomas/Dez Bryant at 12 would be exciting for me also.

Good post

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/thanks-1.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/uploads/thanks.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/ip-communications/thank-you-all-for-the-recognition.html&usg=__n7lZSGG1boMs0L4VddBGKoaEYg4=&h=333&w=500&sz=150&hl=en&start=32&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=BRwfqkVOqHP2iM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthanks%26start%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_enTT250TT250%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1)

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Its a starting point. Why is it so unrealistic when every team has a copy of it?

How do you know every team has a copy of it?

LikeUntoGod
03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
How do you know every team has a copy of it?

It is a benchmark that most if not all teams use. It would be a little stupid not to have a copy or one very close to it.

It would be like you are a money trader. If you did not know what others are converting Euros to Dollars for you would be ripped off.

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Oh, and IF the chart were used, them a 4th rounder would be the price to jump from #12 to #10.

How did you come up with a 2nd rounder?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........?

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
It is a benchmark that most if not all teams use. It would be a little stupid not to have a copy or one very close to it.

It would be like you are a money trader. If you did not know what others are converting Euros to Dollars for you would be ripped off.

Hello hello hello....

The chart says a "4th", NOT a 2nd

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
and remember....the chart was created for his own personal use. AND it was created in the days BEFORE the salary-cap.

52CANES
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Oh, and IF the chart were used, them a 4th rounder would be the price to jump from #12 to #10.

How did you come up with a 2nd rounder?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........?

Go back and reread my post.

I said to trade from 12 to 10 would be our 3rd or 4th or NEXT YEARS 2nd.

I said to trade from 12 to 6 it would take our #43 or our 3rd AND 4th.

hammond47
03-29-2010, 10:37 PM
no matter what, its just really hard to think theyll trade up. we have so many needs, and they can all be addressed in the first 4 rounds if we use those picks wisely. cant see us trading up unless berry falls to ten. And i have this sick feeling in my stomach that bryant is there at 12 and we go brandon graham.

ckparrothead
03-30-2010, 04:22 AM
FACT - Ireland & co., as any draft team would do, would not be naiive enough to single out one player and one player only for our 1st round pick. There will be a handful of players they would list as "justifiable" with the 12th pick. The list would include some players presently projected to go higher (in case of fall) , as well as a very small set of players set to go right after our pick.

No one knows how the picks above us would unfold, and that is the reason for not locking onto one player beforehand.

While they might have a particular favorite that they believe would have a good chance of being there at 12, no one would be a lock at this point.

However, the closer we get, the more I think that Ireland & Co. may be drawn to either Berry or Dez if they come close to 12. Do I think that we would jump if berry was still there at.....say 7? Not really.....Price may be too high.....But if Berry is still there at 10 I would bet that we pull the trigger to land him.

That takes us to Dez. This one is a harder sell given the recent bad "press" r/e having to hire someone to "wake him up for meetings/practice" etc. I will go out on a limb and say that if Dez OR Berry make it to 10, the Fins make a move to jump and get one of them.

If both are there, then Berry is our man. If Dez is the only of the 2 left, then we attempt to get him.

O.k, o.k, please refrain from saying that Berry "will not be there". I know that is a strong possibility. At any rate, it is anyone's guess how this will play out, but that is my guess. Just a guess as to what will happen.

You sir, have echoed my thoughts almost exactly. To the point where I wonder if I have some alter ego at night when I'm supposed to be sleeping, logging in and posting under a different name.