PDA

View Full Version : SERVER UPDATE: Glitches

fin-atic
03-26-2010, 10:57 PM
All:

We moved!! The site moved over to new servers last night at 3AM-6AM. You will notice some gltiches like dead icons etc. and that is all normal with this kind of move so please be patient while we finish syncing a few things and tweaking settings. It is a massive database to map.

In the days ahead, if you have issues with any function please post it in the "Questions & Suggestions" forum and we will address it. We currently know that the icons graphics are dead, the date is wrong and the news feed on the front page is not working so please do not post those. We also know that ads are appearing on VIP posts. These will all be addressed in the next few days.

Thanks again and this is an exciting time for FH!

Thanks!

XxfeensterxX
03-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Im not sure if this is one of them , but I posted and it kept posting in the middle of a thread, not at the end of it.

BillParFan
03-31-2010, 12:53 PM
All:

We moved!! The site moved over to new servers last night at 3AM-6AM. You will notice some gltiches like dead icons etc. and that is all normal with this kind of move so please be patient while we finish syncing a few things and tweaking settings. It is a massive database to map.

In the days ahead, if you have issues with any function please post it in the "Questions & Suggestions" forum and we will address it. We currently know that the icons graphics are dead, the date is wrong and the news feed on the front page is not working so please do not post those. We also know that ads are appearing on VIP posts. These will all be addressed in the next few days.

Thanks again and this is an exciting time for FH!

Thanks!
Glitches aside, load times are much improved.

Hopefully this upgrade means I'll be able to post on game day threads without waiting a quarter for the page to reload.
:thanks:

Bumpus
03-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Im not sure if this is one of them , but I posted and it kept posting in the middle of a thread, not at the end of it.

Yeah, that happened to me earlier too. Pretty sure it's just because the time/date problem just got cleared up ... I'm guessing that it'll just resolve itself as today progresses. :up:

:bumpus:

Vaark
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
If my own experience is representative, it looks like the server is not yet configured to accept new avi's.

showstopper
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
As long as it's back to normal for the draft, that's all that matters.

Wildbill3
04-01-2010, 09:46 AM
well we got our badges and thanks button back, so.... now its time for some new features to be added. Thanks for the support everyone!

Myles Fynch
04-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the hard work, everyone!

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/03/2ytv5fo-1.jpg

Cuzinfinny
04-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Well it was about 7:20 pm today and I couldn't get on, the sight was not downloading. More Glitches ?

Yesterday the login was not recognizing my information....

not complaining, just thought you might like to know.....

I'm getting used to the malfunctions here.....

Update: 4/2, database screw up, sight will not download......again

People pay for this or is it just me ?

4THand10
04-07-2010, 11:57 PM
"Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

Is anybody else getting this message?

I have ben getting this daily for the last week.:ponder:

ghostface95
04-08-2010, 12:01 AM

I second that and I'd been thinking this whole time that my PC was on the fritz.

Also, it explains why it's been difficult for me to edit(change) my sig.

:thumbup:

1 dol fan
04-08-2010, 05:46 AM
I second that and I'd been thinking this whole time that my PC was on the fritz.

Also, it explains why it's been difficult for me to edit(change) my sig.

:thumbup:
I third it... hope its fixed soon.

fin-atic
04-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Everyone:

We are still working out the right configuration on the new server. I have worked on this all day and just dumped a few thousands of dollars into improvements. I am tripling bandwidth, RAM and upping the CPU. This will be going in over the next day so. We will keep at it until it is perfect as 17-0. Thank you for your patience.

-Matt
Owner/Admin
FinHeaven.com

1 dol fan
04-08-2010, 06:06 AM
Everyone:

We are still working out the right configuration on the new server. I have worked on this all day and just dumped a few thousands of dollars into improvements. I am tripling bandwidth, RAM and upping the CPU. This will be going in over the next day so. We will keep at it until it is perfect as 17-0. Thank you for your patience.

-Matt
Owner/Admin
FinHeaven.com
I like that saying... can I use it in normal conversation?

Bta72dolphins
04-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Yeah it happens to me after being on for more then 30 minutes.

Ozfin77
04-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, or if its even due to the recent changes, but I have a couple things to mention, which I'm experiencing;

a) I'm finding that occasionally I cant log in on my PC. Sometimes it works, others it doesnt. I get the message saying I've entered an incorrect password. I'm 100% certain both my user name and pass word are correct, yet when I change my p/w and use the system generated number, it works fine.

b) I only noticed this tonight, but I was browsing the threads about an hour ago. Logged off, went for dinner and now that I'm back and wanted to reply to threads I read before, they're not here...They were posted in the correct forum and of good substance so they wouldnt have been deleted or moved, so not sure whats happened.

Thanks.

tylerdolphin
04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Im having the same issue minus the logging in part

poornate
04-11-2010, 03:15 PM
So... a day of posts just went poof... and I had just stored my dissertation in one of the Babes Threads, too... oh well... there's always a career at Arbys...

ROADRUNNER
04-11-2010, 03:23 PM
me to and its my birthday.............

fin-atic
04-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Guys we pointed everythign to the new server last night. So it takes a day or so to re-sync. Now lets see if we get through the day without the mySql error.

Thanks for your patience.

Wildbill3
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
maybe we should design a new badge for all of our active members... "I survived the 2010 server switch"

or "Server Surviver 2010" sounds catchy...

hooshoops
04-11-2010, 06:15 PM
will the posts that are missing now come back??? the threads also???

Wildbill3
04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
will the posts that are missing now come back??? the threads also???
it shouldn't take much more than a database merge to fix the missing post issue. I don't know when that will be scheduled but it shouldn't take too long. Stopping the crashes of course is more important than missing posts but why not have our cake and eat it too?

:hi5:

ckparrothead
04-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Glad to hear you guys are on top of this. Keep up the good work.

fin-atic
04-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Ultimately we will spend whatever it takes and do whatever it takes to make it as good as it should be. Just working our way there. Thank you for everyone's patience.

4THand10
04-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Ultimately we will spend whatever it takes and do whatever it takes to make it as good as it should be. Just working our way there. Thank you for everyone's patience.

Good news.:thanks:

And keep up the good work fin-atic

zackmandude63
04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
maybe we should design a new badge for all of our active members... "I survived the 2010 server switch"

or "Server Surviver 2010" sounds catchy...
i like!!!

FinsNCanes
04-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Is this why there seems to be missing threads from yesterday or are Dolphin fans just that behind? :confused:

TraderJoe
04-15-2010, 08:38 PM
I couldn't get on at all yesterday. The funny thing is I had just started a thread about how I will know when the trade goes through because Finheaven will crash and then poof....

Does anyone know of any backup sites for the annual draft day crash?

Phin-Phan 66
04-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Now it seems threads posted today are gone??

Wildbill3
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I couldn't get on at all yesterday. The funny thing is I had just started a thread about how I will know when the trade goes through because Finheaven will crash and then poof....

Does anyone know of any backup sites for the annual draft day crash?I would like to say that a lot of the issues we're having will be cleared up so that you won't have to look for an alternative.

No one is taking this more seriously than the staff of finheaven and the hosting company, we're not happy about the downtime anymore than the rest of finheaven.

Bumpus
04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Early reports are that someone let Rex into the server ... he heard that there were "cookies" and well, he's eating everything in sight.

Mr_Freezetag
04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I would be pissed if I were a VIP member.

Not a knock to the Admins and everyone involved with troubleshooting this issue.

But the offseason consists of a lot of boring material and ridiculous post that I usually just comb through on the daily.

And when the 2 major events, probably the only real events during this offseason Finheaven was not available to it's members. I get that it is the traffic volume causing issues, but it's like when you actually have something important to discuss (1. Dansby deal - 2. Marshall trade) poop hits the fan.

At least we have another week of nonsense until the next episode.

Phin-Phan 66
04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't wan't to jinx anything - but things have been smooth the past hour or so.

Kudos to someone out there!

Wildbill3
04-15-2010, 10:57 PM

Not a knock to the Admins and everyone involved with troubleshooting this issue.

But the offseason consists of a lot of boring material and ridiculous post that I usually just comb through on the daily.

And when the 2 major events, probably the only real events during this offseason Finheaven was not available to it's members. I get that it is the traffic volume causing issues, but it's like when you actually have something important to discuss (1. Dansby deal - 2. Marshall trade) poop hits the fan.

At least we have another week of nonsense until the next episode.vip covers a PORTION of the the monthly cost. The owner himself has invested THOUSANDs of dollars into the move. You think he isn't pissed about the process of getting this sorted out?

Wildbill3
04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't wan't to jinx anything - but things have been smooth the past hour or so.

Kudos to someone out there!technically we're on our 3 server in less than 2 weeks... They are testing out the "normal" traffic to see just what finheaven goes through on a normal day. we are also in the process of getting ready to migrate to VB 4.0 (we're currently at 3.7.0 which is about 2+ years old) so who knows what new delights 4.0 might bring, hopefully its more compatable with a lot of the features we'd like to add than 3.7.

Dolphins24
04-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Well, I'm new around here...but you guys need to do something, because the site will probably go down on Draft day.

Daytona Fin
04-16-2010, 12:47 AM
its been the same around here for many years. big trade, big game, draft , big free agent signing, firing, hiring. you can count on a finheaven crash. always the same answers too. we are working on servers. lets just face the truth, dolphin nation is one of the largest and loyal fan bases there is in the nfl. its the masses of finfans that would probably crash any site. lol. hopefully one day it will be fixed.

Wildbill3
04-16-2010, 12:52 AM
its been the same around here for many years. big trade, big game, draft , big free agent signing, firing, hiring. you can count on a finheaven crash. always the same answers too. we are working on servers. lets just face the truth, dolphin nation is one of the largest and loyal fan bases there is in the nfl. its the masses of finfans that would probably crash any site. lol. hopefully one day it will be fixed.
I like your thinking. which is why we're working instead of offering the same tired excuses and reasons every time the server goes down. :hi5:

Mr. Magoo
04-16-2010, 12:56 AM
It's amazing how much people will complain about services that are presented to them lovingly and without cost.

I think everyone recognizes there have been recent and historical problems with the site going down, but I accept that the owners and admins care about making this site the best it can be and will do everything they can to achieve that goal, even if it takes a while.

I for one appreciate the effort and think everyone should who isn't a VIP should store their issues in a box marked "Grow Up."

SRM
04-16-2010, 02:12 AM
Good work guys! Glad it's all back on track. I stopped putting depth into my posts because everytime I made a long post, the server would crash and I would have to retype the whole thing :lol:

fin-atic
04-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Let me be shed some light on this for you guys. I own the site. I am now thousands of dollars into this move that I am doing because love this place and want the best for it and for you. Digest this fact:

Less than 1% of the people who come here contribute anything. Ironically they are usually the first to complain. LOL! VIP doesn't even pay for a third of what the site costs. The ads cover a large portion, and I cover all shortfalls investments and technogy improvements personally at a loss.

When you are a "live" business opeating 24/7 all you can do is pick the best possible time to make changes and do improvements. We picked the offseason to target this move so we would be ready for the draft. I believe we will not go down on draft. I can't promise but with the investment I just made we shouldn't go down. If we do...then I will invest more and increase our capacities even furher. The "teaser" in all of this is that I have concepted a couple of ideas that will make FinHeaven the most unique and personalized fan experience of any sport and any site. It is going be trend setting and I am so excited to bring it. We have to incorporate it as best as possible when we think will be the best time. Unfortunatey the team doesn't check with us before making moves to see if it is best for us.

I hope everyone understands all of this. If you are frustrated I get it. If you want to be part of the solution? Help? Then donate! join VIP or just make a donation. We aren't ESPN here I am a regular guy like you and if this fan base would get behind the effort of this site with even $5 each then we could really do amazing things. Until then I will do the best I can on the budget I have and in the best way possible for the site. I truly believe as painful as this was...you guys will be blown away before season opens when you see the future of Finheaven.

Thanks for your patience...and our support.

If anyone has any qestions PM me. I would really like to get the focus back in the team. That is what we do best.

-Matt
Owner
Finheaven.com

It's amazing how much people will complain about services that are presented to them lovingly and without cost.

I think everyone recognizes there have been recent and historical problems with the site going down, but I accept that the owners and admins care about making this site the best it can be and will do everything they can to achieve that goal, even if it takes a while.

I for one appreciate the effort and think everyone should who isn't a VIP should store their issues in a box marked "Grow Up."

Mr_Freezetag
04-16-2010, 02:44 AM
vip covers a PORTION of the the monthly cost. The owner himself has invested THOUSANDs of dollars into the move. You think he isn't pissed about the process of getting this sorted out?

From my post do you think that is what I am saying? That the owner is happy about this? What kind of question is that?

I think this is the right place to voice our opinions as members.

When some of want this site up and working the most it disappoints.

Just because the owner spends thousands of dollars because HE CHOOSES TO and to take on the responsibility does not mean we can't speak about it OR get pissed.

Throwing in the fact that he spends thousands of dollars means nothing here. I think a majority of us on here respect what the admins and owner/s do for the community of fin fans. That is an odd way to try and downplay our/my dissatisfaction.

Mr_Freezetag
04-16-2010, 02:52 AM
Let me be shed some light on this for you guys. I own the site. I am now thousands of dollars into this move that I am doing because love this place and want the best for it and for you. Digest this fact:

Less than 1% of the people who come here contribute anything. Ironically they are usually the first to complain. LOL! VIP doesn't even pay for a third of what the site costs. The ads cover a large portion, and I cover all shortfalls investments and technogy improvements personally at a loss.

When you are a "live" business opeating 24/7 all you can do is pick the best possible time to make changes and do improvements. We picked the offseason to target this move so we would be ready for the draft. I believe we will not go down on draft. I can't promise but with the investment I just made we shouldn't go down. If we do...then I will invest more and increase our capacities even furher. The "teaser" in all of this is that I have concepted a couple of ideas that will make FinHeaven the most unique and personalized fan experience of any sport and any site. It is going be trend setting and I am so excited to bring it. We have to incorporate it as best as possible when we think will be the best time. Unfortunatey the team doesn't check with us before making moves to see if it is best for us.

I hope everyone understands all of this. If you are frustrated I get it. If you want to be part of the solution? Help? Then donate! join VIP or just make a donation. We aren't ESPN here I am a regular guy like you and if this fan base would get behind the effort of this site with even $5 each then we could really do amazing things. Until then I will do the best I can on the budget I have and in the best way possible for the site. I truly believe as painful as this was...you guys will be blown away before season opens when you see the future of Finheaven.

If anyone has any qestions PM me. I would really like to get the focus back in the team. That is what we do best.

-Matt
Owner
Finheaven.com

I respect everything your doing.

I am all for donating money to help out but when we voice our opinions and just because we have not made contributions we are treated as though we have no say.

If that is the case why not make it a forum where donations are mandatory?

I would be all for that.

kwill29
04-16-2010, 02:52 AM

-Matt
Owner
Finheaven.com

Good stuff fin-atic, I think I just peed a little bit.

Wildbill3
04-16-2010, 03:46 AM

I am all for donating money to help out but when we voice our opinions and just because we have not made contributions we are treated as though we have no say.

I would be all for that.
I don't think that was said, nore has this staff treated or allowed their to be a scisim (sp?) between the vip and the non-vip. Are you treated different? if by different you mean you have to put up with ads then yes you are treated a bit different.

DaMiAmIDoLpHiNz
04-16-2010, 03:52 AM
First off, great site and thank you for everything you are all doing. I completely agree with the notion that we should be happy to even have a website that we can all visit and enjoy our team together.

Not sure if this is the right thread but I just wanted to mention that the date is showing 4/16 rather than 4/15. I don't know if that may be a server issue or an issue with my computer but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Wildbill3
04-16-2010, 03:55 AM
First off, great site and thank you for everything you are all doing. I completely agree with the notion that we should be happy to even have a website that we can all visit and enjoy our team together.

Not sure if this is the right thread but I just wanted to mention that the date is showing 4/16 rather than 4/15. I don't know if that may be a server issue or an issue with my computer but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.
thank you for the kind words! and thank you for the heads up, the date/time is definately on the list, if nothing else its a real annoyance. :thanks:

Mr_Freezetag
04-16-2010, 03:57 AM
I don't think that was said, nore has this staff treated or allowed their to be a scisim (sp?) between the vip and the non-vip. Are you treated different? if by different you mean you have to put up with ads then yes you are treated a bit different.

I'm trying to talk about this and your wise comments are not necessary.

Wildbill3
04-16-2010, 04:03 AM
I'm trying to talk about this and your wise comments are not necessary.PM sent. this is not the thread for such discussion. thank you.

d-day
04-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Some of you posters crack me up. If a friend or family member invites you over to their house and say offers to cook you a meal and they're having problems with their "stove" and your meal isn't cooked the way you wanted it, do you complain? I mean, you could of course. It is your right. But why? Talk about ungrateful and uncool. Our "host" is having problems with his "stove" but he's doing everything in his power and his pockets to fix it so everybody here can have a great meal. Thanks to anyone and everyone who have stepped up to help out and brought over a "dish" (donation). But if you don't have the means or the desire to do so, at least be grateful. The glitches haven't tasted very good as of late but thanks to Matt, we are pretty close to having everybody sit at the captains table.

Phin-Phan 66
04-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Maybe if some of you guys with the large post counts would shell out 18 bucks to be VIP's they could afford to fix the issues. Havent you gotten 18 bucks worth of enjoyment out of this site? You gotta give a little to get a little in this world.

kwill29
04-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Some of you posters crack me up. If a friend or family member invites you over to their house and say offers to cook you a meal and they're having problems with their "stove" and your meal isn't cooked the way you wanted it, do you complain? I mean, you could of course. It is your right. But why? Talk about ungrateful and uncool. Our "host" is having problems with his "stove" but he's doing everything in his power and his pockets to fix it so everybody here can have a great meal. Thanks to anyone and everyone who have stepped up to help out and brought over a "dish" (donation). But if you don't have the means or the desire to do so, at least be grateful. The glitches haven't tasted very good as of late but thanks to Matt, we are pretty close to having everybody sit at the captains table.

Comparisons to food or situations involving food always speak to me.

Vaark
04-16-2010, 07:40 AM

I would be all for that.

You're absolutely right that all members who frequent the site regularly are as equally entitled to have their frustrations and opinions heard and taken to heart.

However, if someone derives timely knowledge and enjoyment from this community, why would they wait for contributions to be "mandatory" before they'd consider supporting the site?

Personally, I don't know what I'd do without FH as it's also therapy for me while engaged in a mentally taxing "job." It was easy to justify paying about 70cents/week ..10/cents/day (that's at 36/yr although I believe it's been reduced), which IMO is a very small price to pay for exposure to like-minded fans, a diversity of opinions, timely news and camaraderie. Unless finances are tight, I can't think of any reason not to support this site if you enjoy being on it regularly.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/mjwydf-1.jpg

Vaark
04-16-2010, 07:41 AM

sounds like someone is "cooking" some beef stokinoff tonight?

Wildbill3
04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Why not make it manadatory to join VIP when you hit a certain number of posts?
Say 500? If you spend enough time to get to 500 posts on a site - imagine how many you have read and not replied to... If you're that invested in time here - just spend a couple bucks and help these guys out. In the end, it will create a better site for all of us to be a part of.
I can't see that working. First Finheaven is a site for all fans, not just fans who pay. I'm not saying Matt wouldnt' enjoy the added support, but from top to bottom (owner to admin, to mods, to vip to regular posters) finheaven is and always will be about donations, not demands.

I feel very honored with how the membership has supported us through the move and the various changes over the years, I couldn't ask for a better result in the face of adversity than the way you guys have shown your support, both verbally (well written but you know what I mean...:)) and even those of you who have deemed finheaven worthy of your hard earned dollars.

We will get this site straightened out. No excuses. :up:

Mcganiel
04-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Maybe if some of you guys with the large post counts would shell out 18 bucks to be VIP's they could afford to fix the issues. Havent you gotten 18 bucks worth of enjoyment out of this site? You gotta give a little to get a little in this world.

I totally agree man, thanks guys for all your efforts.

Phin-Phan 66
04-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Why not make it manadatory to join VIP when you hit a certain number of posts?
Say 500? If you spend enough time to get to 500 posts on a site - imagine how many you have read and not replied to... If you're that invested in time here - just spend a couple bucks and help these guys out. In the end, it will create a better site for all of us to be a part of.

Fin Fan in Cali
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM

Does anyone know of any backup sites for the annual draft day crash?Bro Keep the faith and your support here. Things will get better. Rest assured they are working very hard to make the site better and try eliminate the possibility for crashes. As an ex-staff member I can tell you honestly it is not a joy on anyone's part. Keep up the fight and may you get all the wrinkles worked out Brothers!:hi5:

Fin Fan in Cali
04-16-2010, 10:12 PM

At least we have another week of nonsense until the next episode.It is easy to throw another log on the fire, but it is a little more challenging to support and stick by the staff and your fellow brothers when things get a little rough.

fin-atic
04-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I believe we have cleared our hurddle on this. Ginn trade went down yesterday and we never missed a beat. The Marshall trade just happened at a time we were trying to get some things done. Doo Doo happens.

ROADRUNNER
04-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I believe we have cleared our hurddle on this. Ginn trade went down yesterday and we never missed a beat. The Marshall trade just happened at a time we were trying to get some things done. Doo Doo happens.

man i hope so, that was hell...........:thanks: