PDA

View Full Version : Found My first Shank Today

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 05:22 AM
Woohoo! I got a shank off the unit today!

I was doing a cell shakedown and I went up under dude's bunk. Taped to the underside was a 4.75 inch shank. That bad boy could've killed someone. We wear stab vests in the building I found it in, but other offenders don't. In all reality, I probably saved a thug's life today (That will toss piss on me tomorrow) :chuckle:

It kinda looked like this, but it looked like it got made out of a screwdriver and masking tape.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/prison_weapons1-1.jpg

It may psycotic, but I love my job. Being a Corrections officer is a blast. :lol:

I have seriously not come home after a day feeling as good as a day in the prison.

Dolphins7273
03-27-2010, 05:26 AM
That's some crazy ****, man.

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 05:45 AM
That's some crazy ****, man.

:lol:

Dude, it's awesome. It's one big game. Ultimately, getting the shank off the unit is a big thing. It's about officer safety.

It ****ing seriously amazes me, the dynamic in a prison...I really enjoy it. It's like two rival mobs. They've got the numbers, but we've got the power. It's very charged. The only reason we hold the place is because if you put criminals close to criminals, they eat each other until we give them a common enemy.

My approach is; Firm, fair and consistant.

Have I seen officers muleing **** from one cell to the other?
Yes.

Will I ever do that?
No.

Have I let contraband go by my checkpoint?
I won't say on the record.

The offenders are getting to know me. I'm not wanting to make a career about generating a billion cases. It's about respect.

-If I say I'll check on somthing, that means I'll check on it..Not sweep the offender off and ignore him.

-If I do things one way when I go to work on a block, I'm going to do it that way, every day, all the time.....Unless rank is around and, everyone understands that.

It's a wierd world that I live in, but I enjoy it.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-27-2010, 06:05 AM
You the man Goon

Slim
03-27-2010, 06:12 AM
I feel like i'm watching Lockdown on Nat Geo.

Goon, what happened to the person who hid this weapon? Lockdown i take it?

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 06:40 AM
It's a major case Slim. The building that he was in? Chances are he's going to go to Ad Seg. the building he was in houses G-4 and 5 offenders. One step away from Ad Seg. Once you're in jail, all we can do is take time and priviledges. This will probably land him in the place where you spend 22 hrs a day in the cell.

Now...What happens when you are alone in a cell for 22 hrs a day...And you have 25 years left to go?

Ask the Administrative Segregation officers. It's dinner and a show every shift.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-27-2010, 06:46 AM
It's a major case Slim. The building that he was in? Chances are he's going to go to Ad Seg. the building he was in houses G-4 and 5 offenders. One step away from Ad Seg. Once you're in jail, all we can do is take time and priviledges. This will probably land him in the place where you spend 22 hrs a day in the cell.

Now...What happens when you are alone in a cell for 22 hrs a day...And you have 25 years left to go?

Ask the Administrative Segregation officers. It's dinner and a show every shift.

He will regret it...

X-Pacolypse
03-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Crazy stuff.

callaway1234
03-27-2010, 06:52 AM
My dad has been a police officer for over 20 years and I obviously respect what he does but you work in a prison in close quarters with killers and other criminals all day long which is crazy in itself. Hope you and your guys stay safe and keep taking dangers out of the question like you did today.

FinFan 13
03-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Great job Boss. A life saved is a good thing. Whether a criminal or not. You did a good thing today, much props.

Myles Fynch
03-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Nice catch, GB. The odds that the shank would never have been used on someone is about zero unless it was found first.

About the 22 hours a day solitary for 25 years.... dude would have play-doh for brains in about 90 days. Show time is right.

Edit: I guess we are using a foreign server now. The date/time stamp on my post is 8 hours in the future. I should have asked myself if it was going to rain tomorrow.

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 07:22 AM
My dad has been a police officer for over 20 years and I obviously respect what he does but you work in a prison in close quarters with killers and other criminals all day long which is crazy in itself. Hope you and your guys stay safe and keep taking dangers out of the question like you did today.

A cops beat I veiw as more dangerous. He has to differentiate the good from the bad.

On my beat.....There is no good. There is only bad. I know that from jump. Cops don't have that advantage.

We do our best to keep the criminals from killing themselves and us. It's a crazy game. It will frustrate those that are weak willed.

I know every con in the place would like nothing better than to gut me like a fish.

Fortunately, the "Wall of Gray" (Uniforms are gray) is the most powerful gang in the place.

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Nice catch, GB. The odds that the shank would never have been used on someone is about zero unless it was found first.

About the 22 hours a day solitary for 25 years.... dude would have play-doh for brains in about 90 days. Show time is right.

Edit: I guess we are using a foreign server now. The date/time stamp on my post is 8 hours in the future. I should have asked myself if it was going to rain tomorrow.

It's the changeover. It's going to take a bit to get things right, but we won't crash during the draft this year.

I've worked Ad Seg. Those guys are just the ones who are determined not to mind.

Like I said...What do you have left to lose when you've got nothing to lose?

I have not yet been assigned to a shift yet. I should find out next week.

Personally, I want to go to Ad Seg.

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Great job Boss. A life saved is a good thing. Whether a criminal or not. You did a good thing today, much props.

Appreciate it sir. Sadly, it's up to us to safegaurd the people that society needs out of the way.

Corrections is interesting.

Ricky_Fan34
03-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Wow Goon. What a job you have. Entertaining, but I imagine it's kind of eerie to be around all those convicts every single day. You must really have to be on edge at all times.

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Crazy stuff.

You have no idea

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Wow Goon. What a job you have. Entertaining, but I imagine it's kind of eerie to be around all those convicts every single day. You must really have to be on edge at all times.

Well....It's a question of respect. Respect is an interesting thing in a prison.

We have everything from bad check writers to people that killed everyone because they were home.

It's an edge...I like it. It's not for everyone.

Ricky_Fan34
03-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Well....It's a question of respect. Respect is an interesting thing in a prison.

We have everything from bad check writers to people that killed everyone because they were home.

It's an edge...I like it. It's not for everyone.
Yeah, that's for sure.

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah, that's for sure.

I don't mean it to sound like an insult. By this age I''ve learned that people are suited for jobs that are in thier nature.

This is right down my alley. It's a blast. Imagine if you're a cat, and you're arching your back constantly.

Ricky_Fan34
03-27-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't mean it to sound like an insult. By this age I''ve learned that people are suited for jobs that are in thier nature.

This is right down my alley. It's a blast. Imagine if you're a cat, and you're arching your back constantly.

I wasn't agry at you for saying it's not for everybody, I was just pointing out that it's not for me.

Fin_Frenzy_84
03-27-2010, 08:57 AM
GoonBoss I respect you my man... I also want to think you for putting your life on the line to keep the streets clean...

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 08:58 AM
I wasn't agry at you for saying it's not for everybody, I was just pointing out that it's not for me.

I can't wait until we get the thanks tab back. It's like saying.."Cool" without having to do a whole nother post.

GoonBoss
03-27-2010, 09:07 AM
GoonBoss I respect you my man... I also want to think you for putting your life on the line to keep the streets clean...

The respect goes to the cops. Then...To us. We don't keep the streets clean. The cops do that. We just caretake those you send to a place that is away from you.

Those animals that you heard about 15 years ago that killed, raped and left that one girl to die? Most people have forgotten. I get to deal with him every day.

Ricky4Life
03-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Good job Goon.

CedarPhin
03-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Nice catch man.

Is it like that show "Oz"?

BobDole
03-27-2010, 04:19 PM
i thought they were called shivs. people get shanked with shivs is how i thought it went down. either way, nice find.

WeVie
03-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Remember I told you that I have a friend that works at the prison around here? He told me that last week that a female CO almost got raped. That is pretty crazy!

callaway1234
03-28-2010, 07:38 AM
I can't wait until we get the thanks tab back. It's like saying.."Cool" without having to do a whole nother post.

Same, I was wondering where the hell the Thank button went lol.

GoonBoss
03-29-2010, 12:58 AM
Remember I told you that I have a friend that works at the prison around here? He told me that last week that a female CO almost got raped. That is pretty crazy!

We've had that happen on my unit.

GoonBoss
03-29-2010, 12:59 AM
i thought they were called shivs. people get shanked with shivs is how i thought it went down. either way, nice find.

Shiv and shank are pretty much interchangeable. I've actually never heard them refered to as shivs on the unit though.

GoonBoss
03-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Nice catch man.

Is it like that show "Oz"?

I actually didn't watch OZ a whole lot.

Myles Fynch
03-29-2010, 01:02 AM
We've had that happen on my unit.

Awful.

I'd hate to be the guy that did it. Even if they transferred him, word gets out why he was moved. Payback's a *****.

GoonBoss
03-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Awful.

I'd hate to be the guy that did it. Even if they transferred him, word gets out why he was moved. Payback's a *****.

I'm told he fell down an awful lot on the way to solitary, and that he lost a great deal of weight while there. That's all heresay of course.

PhinzN703
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Good work Goon. Glad you're safe day in and day out. I can't imagine having that job but someone has to do it I guess!

eger
03-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Woohoo! I got a shank off the unit today!

I was doing a cell shakedown and I went up under dude's bunk. Taped to the underside was a 4.75 inch shank. That bad boy could've killed someone. We wear stab vests in the building I found it in, but other offenders don't. In all reality, I probably saved a thug's life today (That will toss piss on me tomorrow) :chuckle:

It kinda looked like this, but it looked like it got made out of a screwdriver and masking tape.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/prison_weapons1-1.jpg

It may psycotic, but I love my job. Being a Corrections officer is a blast. :lol:

I have seriously not come home after a day feeling as good as a day in the prison.

Cool job although I do not envy you becuase you guys don't get paid enough for the danger you encounter. I absolutely love watching Lockdown, it's one of my fav shows. Went to school for law enforcement at the Criminal Justice Institute @ BCC in Davie but ended up doing something entirely different but still looking for the bad guys. :)

Vaark
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/1zqr87l-1.jpg