PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft 2.0

Nick13
03-27-2010, 06:22 AM
This draft is based on the CURRENT picks the Dolphins own and includes no trading.

1. Dan Williams NT Tennessee- With Jason Ferguson facing suspension, Williams could be a starter from the get go and brings a lot of the qualities we need in a NT. He moves well and isnt too large to still be agile. A solid pick at #12, although not the highest value.

2. Jerry Hughes OLB TCU- Dolphins need a legit pass rusher with Jason Taylor at 36 and Joey Porter gone. Wake was good in situational use, but has yet to prove he's an every down player. Hughes is a big step in injecting youth into our front 7 and with the addition of Dansby helps give Miami a young, reasonably talented corps of LB's.

3. Rob Gronkowski TE Arizona- He's not going to be a game changer from day one and likely would benefit from another year in school to learn to polish up his routes and not rely so much on his athleticism, however in a few years time he'll be one of the top 5 TE's in the league. A true competitor he loves the game of football and really enjoys contact, He's a bear to bring down in the open field and a solid blocker in the line.

4. Marcus Easley WR Connecticut- Most college WR's end up being projects when they first come into the pros and few perform well off the bat, Easley is someone we know is a project and instead of costing us a high round pick he's here in the 4th round. Good athlete with good production and no immediate rush to make him the savior of our offense likely bodes well for him.

6. O'Brien Schofield OLB Wisconsin - He had everything going for him and then tore his ACL in the first day of Senior Bowl drills. Even so he was impressive in the limited time he participated and has the right makeup to bounce back from the injury. Could turn out to to be the steal of the draft.

6. Deji Karim RB Northern Illinois - We need an insurance policy if Ronnie or Ricky go down, Hilliard and Cobbs have both looked solid in limited time, but with Ronnie possibly facing disciplinary action following the DUI arrest, adding another running back to the stable seems like a good idea. Karim is a heck of an athlete notching a 4.37 40 and a 43 inch vertical. He's a tad on the small side at 5'9'' 210, but would make an ideal scat/3rd down back.

6. Brandon Carter G Texas Tech- Since we've signed Richie Incognito I say we go all out and squeeze in all the crazy possible into our O-line. If you aren't sure what i'm talking about, this is a normal game day for Carter http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3230/2998504286_38713aa859.jpg ; He's got good size at 6'6'' 320 and and ran a decent 5.24 40 at his pro day, I'd love to see Carter Grove and Incognito just straight up mauling people on the inside, Nose tackles league wide would be scared of this trio.

7. Chris Maragos S Wisconsin - to quote Emmitt Smith 'this dude blowed up' at his pro day, he's a strong athlete, but was essentially unheralded prior to aforementioned explosion. He's nowhere near as fast, but could certainly fill in a Jason Allen type special teams role and at a fraction of the price.

7. Scott Long WR Louisville- Has all the tangibles, but only had one real season in which he got consistent time/numbers. Brings a little more size to the receiving corps without sacrificing much speed. Ran a 4.46 at the combine at 6'2'' 216.

7. LeRoy Vann CB Florida A&M - His official position is CB, but he's really a KR/PR, he has 11 special teams TD's in the past 2 years, at any level that's impressive. The Dolphins need a boost in the return game, especially on punts, also, putting Vann and Ginn Jr. back on kickoffs forces teams to kick to one of them, it's a pick your poison situation.

I do realize I didnt address the position of FS, but after Earl Thomas and Eric Berry no one in this draft really impresses me and makes me think 'I GOTTA have him', Thomas was a consideration at 12, but I think that NT is a better value at 12 than a FS, especially considering our team needs.

TheBow305
03-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Eh, it's a solid, but very unspectacular draft.

IMO LeRoy Vann is VASTLY overrated. He made his name making big plays and returns against lowly, lower-level competition and didn't show up at all when they played Miami or any top teams this year. No thanks. Give me Trindon Holliday or Brandon James instead.

Nick13
03-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Eh, it's a solid, but very unspectacular draft.

IMO LeRoy Vann is VASTLY overrated. He made his name making big plays and returns against lowly, lower-level competition and didn't show up at all when they played Miami or any top teams this year. No thanks. Give me Trindon Holliday or Brandon James instead.

You can't always have flash, I think it's a draft that adds a decent amount of starters as well as some guys who will see the field situationally and makes our team better for years to come. that's all you can ask for in a draft.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Not a big fan i like Jerry hughes and that is pretty much it

Mr. Magoo
03-31-2010, 10:10 AM
Can't believe you have Gronkowski down in the 3rd without also having some kind of inside information on his back. No way he lasts that long with a clean bill of health. And even if the information on his back isn't great, Marcus McNeill still went in the 2nd with people saying he might be suffering from stenosis, so it's not like it pushes him that far down. When healthy, Gronkowski has Witten like ability and is a sure 1st round guy.

Can't see it.

Also can't see Dan Williams in the first round. I almost get tired of typing it, but it simply won't happen. The guy has become massively overrated and not only is nose tackle a deceptively hard position to learn, it's also a part time position where we have good young depth. Forget about it.

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
D. Williams is a terrible pick at 12. He's going to struggle against the run as a NT. And, at #12, you don't draft a 2-down NT unless he's DOMINATE. Odrick would be a much better pick at #12. But, there are better picks than Odrick.

Phin-Phan 66
03-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Love the RB in round 6

Nick13
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Can't believe you have Gronkowski down in the 3rd without also having some kind of inside information on his back. No way he lasts that long with a clean bill of health. And even if the information on his back isn't great, Marcus McNeill still went in the 2nd with people saying he might be suffering from stenosis, so it's not like it pushes him that far down. When healthy, Gronkowski has Witten like ability and is a sure 1st round guy.

Can't see it.

Also can't see Dan Williams in the first round. I almost get tired of typing it, but it simply won't happen. The guy has become massively overrated and not only is nose tackle a deceptively hard position to learn, it's also a part time position where we have good young depth. Forget about it.

Well, I dont have information on Gronkowski's back, but I do know his play probably better than anyone on this board (not bragging, but I've seen him play probably a dozen times), He's very talented but still very raw and relies mainly on his size and athleticism to overpower the smaller defenders at the college level, he needs polishing in a bad way, and he certainly should get to the point that he is a dominant TE, but he isnt there yet, combined with the fact that he hasn't played ball in a year, and there are still some questions about his overall health, it would seem likely that he'd slip, especially since Gresham will probably be a late 1st round pick. I wouldnt be surprised if Gronk went earlier, but I'd be equally nonplussed if he lasted into the 3rd.

datruth55
03-31-2010, 04:43 PM

Can't see it.

Agree on Gronkowski, he will be the 2nd TE taken behind Jermaine Gresham. I don't see him falling to the 3rd round.

Disagree on Dan Williams. I believe Williams is the best NT in this draft. I will say this though, Ferguson was signed as insurance. I see one of two things happening if we draft a NT. 1) We draft a NT and the Dolphins release Ferguson when his 8 game suspension is up. No way the Dolphins carry 3 NTs on the roster. 2) We draft a NT and the Dolphins release Paul Soliai when Ferguson's 8 game suspension is up because Soliai hasn't developed well enough, quick enough or whatever. Take your pick from those two if we draft a NT.

Personally I think the signing of Ferguson means they're not targeting a NT in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds. They have more pressing needs. Parcells has had very good success identifying NTs in the later rounds. Ferguson himself was a 7th round pick and so was Jay Ratliff in Dallas. Both of whom are pretty darn good. Would not be surprised to see us get some kind of developmental player in the 7th or as a UFA. Someone like Callahan Bright, Travis Ivey or someone along those lines.