PDA

View Full Version : Im sorry but this much I know....

gcity305
03-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I do not claim to be an expert but i do know a little about football and not only is Demaryious Thomas have the exact size and speed our regime loves in a receiver but he also had a ton of productivity for a ridiculously run heavy offense. I mean cmon how is this guy not top of the list for us? or do you think he may be who we really covet and were just not talking about it? Personally after watching a ton of tapes and highlights/lowlights i dont see how anyone who actually knows football thinks that Dez Bryant is far and away a better prospect than this kid. Please someone show me what im missing as far as D. Thomas not being as good as Dez. I would love to find out what it is that i cant see. I actually think its a blessing in disguise that theres so much hype about Dez because mark my words, and im glad im putting this in writing right now for proof, Thomas will be a legit superstar #1 wideout for years to come. Im not saying Dez wont but i think Dez has more question marks as to how successful he will be at the next level. I know this, if D. Thomas wouldve went to a pass heavy school there would be no question that he would be ranked the #1 receiver in his class.

TKAllDay
03-27-2010, 08:17 AM
I agree I don't get how guys like Thomas slip possibly to the second round when other guys are clear cut first rounders. I mean obviously the offense he is in and his injury are forcing him to slip, but if I am ANY team I am happy to get him with a late first round pick. If you are a team and see this guy as the next big thing, why not burn your pick on him? If our FO truly believed this, I wouldn't mind them pulling the trigger at 12. I don't think they would ever do that, though.

gcity305
03-27-2010, 08:24 AM
I would much rather they pull the trigger on him at 12 than hope for him to fall to us in round 2. This guy can be another Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson. Even more valuable than a Randy Moss being that hes tall but built solid and can take punishment over the middle as well as being able to stretch the field. And when you take into consideration his blocking skills!??? The guy is our perfect wideout. Theres not a better match for us in this draft or any upcoming drafts. I want this kid, i cant see why anyone would feel any different. Its gotta be just lack of info for anyone who disagrees

Awsi Dooger
03-27-2010, 09:05 AM
He's dropped a few in high profile situations:

* Late vs. Miami, perfect deep bomb along the right sideline, Canes somehow allowed Thomas behind the secondary while protecting a 16 point lead but he botched a play that potentially could have cut it to 8.

* Much more significantly, 4th and 10 vs. arch rival Georgia on the pivotal drive of the game he dropped a perfect pass on the left sideline beyond the yard markers that would have kept the game winning drive alive. There was nobody near him.

He looks the part but it's always tricky to evaluate receivers in that offense. Inevitably it's single coverage with the safeties playing up so there are few obstacles to running free deep. You simply don't see the receiver in as many typical situations that project to the NFL. I've seen teams burned before. Billy Brooks looked phenomenal in Oklahoma's wishbone in the mid '70s and was a very high pick, top 10 or 15. But he really didn't pan out, playing 5-6 years in primarily a backup role.

gcity305
03-27-2010, 09:15 AM

* Late vs. Miami, perfect deep bomb along the right sideline, Canes somehow allowed Thomas behind the secondary while protecting a 16 point lead but he botched a play that potentially could have cut it to 8.

* Much more significantly, 4th and 10 vs. arch rival Georgia on the pivotal drive of the game he dropped a perfect pass on the left sideline beyond the yard markers that would have kept the game winning drive alive. There was nobody near him.

He looks the part but it's always tricky to evaluate receivers in that offense. Inevitably it's single coverage with the safeties playing up so there are few obstacles to running free deep. You simply don't see the receiver in as many typical situations that project to the NFL. I've seen teams burned before. Billy Brooks looked phenomenal in Oklahoma's wishbone in the mid '70s and was a very high pick, top 10 or 15. But he really didn't pan out, playing 5-6 years in primarily a backup role.

Personally I think alot of the mistakes or drops he had were most likely a result of not having as many opportunities as he should have. Are you sayin he gets scared when the spotlight is on him? or do you think he drops balls consistently?

matt11390
03-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Thomas won't fall into the second round. One of the teams late in the first, like New Endgland (ugh!) or Dallas, will scoop Thomas up. Miami will probably draft an LB at 12 and settle for a "hopeful" WR in round 2 or 3 like always :crazy:

NY8123
03-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I do not claim to be an expert but i do know a little about football and not only is Demaryious Thomas have the exact size and speed our regime loves in a receiver but he also had a ton of productivity for a ridiculously run heavy offense. I mean cmon how is this guy not top of the list for us? or do you think he may be who we really covet and were just not talking about it? Personally after watching a ton of tapes and highlights/lowlights i dont see how anyone who actually knows football thinks that Dez Bryant is far and away a better prospect than this kid. Please someone show me what im missing as far as D. Thomas not being as good as Dez. I would love to find out what it is that i cant see. I actually think its a blessing in disguise that theres so much hype about Dez because mark my words, and im glad im putting this in writing right now for proof, Thomas will be a legit superstar #1 wideout for years to come. Im not saying Dez wont but i think Dez has more question marks as to how successful he will be at the next level. I know this, if D. Thomas wouldve went to a pass heavy school there would be no question that he would be ranked the #1 receiver in his class.

Out of all the receivers in the drat this year Thomas is the one I think that will contribute the fastest to whatever team he is drafted to.

The problem picking 12th is that it might be too high to take him. BP and Co. will do what they think is best for the team at 12th that is for sure, so if they want this guy they will just take him and be done with it.

With that said I still do not think they go offense in the first round. I know half the people want a big time receiver but it just isn't the style offense that this staff runs.

JCfinfan
03-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Agree, i'm intrigued by this guy. I heard some kind of ridiculous stat on Sirius Radio. Something like GT only attempted 78 passes all year and Thomas caught 46. My numbers may not be exact but if even close, that is insane. I wonder what this dude would have done in a pass happy offense?

BassFin
03-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Some say that the reason he did so well in the triple option is that the safeties had to cheat in order to stop the run (70% of the time) and he would just have to beat the corner and it was all open field (hence the crazy YPC).

I don't know how you can hold that against him because at least he produced. We can only guess at how well he would have produced in a pro style offense.

I'm still not sold that he ran in the high 4.3 low 4.4 range. But even if he runs a 4.5, so do great WRs like Fitzgerald, Boldin, Marshall & TO.

The biggest thing to worry about is his separation skills, which I hear he is lacking. That's the toughest thing for rookies to work on. And if they don't get it, they won't be playing much.

I like the guy but not with the 12th pick. Bryant is a more well rounded receiver. He would be the only one worthy of that high a pick.

bigchub22
03-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Some say that the reason he did so well in the triple option is that the safeties had to cheat in order to stop the run (70% of the time) and he would just have to beat the corner and it was all open field (hence the crazy YPC).

I don't know how you can hold that against him because at least he produced. We can only guess at how well he would have produced in a pro style offense.

I'm still not sold that he ran in the high 4.3 low 4.4 range. But even if he runs a 4.5, so do great WRs like Fitzgerald, Boldin, Marshall & TO.

The biggest thing to worry about is his separation skills, which I hear he is lacking. That's the toughest thing for rookies to work on. And if they don't get it, they won't be playing much.

I like the guy but not with the 12th pick. Bryant is a more well rounded receiver. He would be the only one worthy of that high a pick.

THIS!!:hi5:

finfan54
03-27-2010, 07:05 PM

The bottom line with WR is you can have all the potential in the world with measurables and still not be a football player.

I imagine they would compare him to his predicesor in Detroit now. Which means, he hasnt lived up to that status as mental aspects of game are considered.

Thats what is all comes down to when splittin hairs IMO.

Do you love football?
Work ethic
Character
fight for the ball
not afraid to do things that WR are not know for (blocking/going over middle without hesitation)
R U a football player

j-off-her-doll
03-27-2010, 10:47 PM
He's bigger and more physical than Dez (and Dez is very physical). Aside from that, I can't think of anything D. Thomas has over Bryant.

ColonelJ
03-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Agree, i'm intrigued by this guy. I heard some kind of ridiculous stat on Sirius Radio. Something like GT only attempted 78 passes all year and Thomas caught 46. My numbers may not be exact but if even close, that is insane. I wonder what this dude would have done in a pass happy offense?

Yes he did. He caught 46 of 78 passes for a whooping 25 yards per catch. He is the only beast in this draft.

finfan54
03-28-2010, 05:37 AM
He's bigger and more physical than Dez (and Dez is very physical). Aside from that, I can't think of anything D. Thomas has over Bryant.

One could say more experience.

Thomas has size. His greatest threat to me considering how it will be in the NFL is his screen passes where he stiff arms guys into submission and takes off. He wont be as open in the NFL as much as he was in college but he is good going up for the rock.

I say at 43 he is very good value. No way at 12. Not with this regime, but hey, Heyward-Bey went tops last year unexpectedly so who knows?

TheBow305
03-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I really do think that Bey Bey is a true dark horse to be our pick at #12.