PDA

View Full Version : If available, Derrick Morgan will be the pick

wildvillage519
03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I really like a few players in this draft for the #12 pick (Eric Berry, Brandon Graham, Ryan Matthew, etc.), but based on how Parcells and company put so much into size, strength,character, and hard workers I believe if available Derrick Morgan will definetly be the selection. I believe they may even trade up a little to secure his services.

LikeUntoGod
03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Considering that this year is very lean for LBs and our big need for one, this pick is perfect.

This draft is deep for safeties and inside defensive lineman so they can be had at 2 and 3.

However since we have a need for a pass catching TE and this year is also lean for them I'd go for one in the 3rd and wait on a NT.

I see our needs as SOLB, FS, TE, and NT in that order. Then look for a real speedster WR that can also do returns.

Phinatic8u
03-27-2010, 09:24 PM
People stop saying Parcells does this or that. Jeff Ireland makes all personal decsions. Parcells just throws his opinion out there. But I would love Morgan. But He was a DE. he may never be an OLB.

X-Pacolypse
03-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I agree. I think it will be Morgan.

thejetssuck
03-27-2010, 11:49 PM
I want Dez Bryant and will be LIVID if he falls to our spot and we don't take him. I'd be ok with Derrick Morgan if Dez aunt available.

HawkDolphan
03-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Please, Please, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

As a Hawkeye fan I can report this: Iowa played a lot of teams who had "elite" DE's or OLB's. By and large, tOSU's DE's and OLB did not get to our QB (Freshman sub for Stanzi who was out). Derrick Morgan maybe had 1 tackle when GT played Iowa in the Orange Bowl. Even that was on a busted play where the DB's had everyone covered downfield.

Michigan has a horrible defense, too, but Iowa could not stop Brandon Graham. The reason none of the other DE's or OLB from other teams got to our QB very often is because we had a very veteran OLine. Two tackles that will be drafted (Bulaga and Calloway) and another who will be an UFA but will probably play in the NFL (Richardson) and a 5th year senior at center.

I'm telling you that Iowa had a very difficult time keeping B. Graham out of the backfield. He is fast, he is relentless and strong.

Graham proved as much during the Senior Bowl, too. I really hope that Parcells and Sparano take the guy with PRODUCTION over the guy with the measurables on this one.

#1dolphinsfan
03-28-2010, 12:31 AM
I like Morgan i think he would be a great fit for our defense

Morey161
03-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Not sure if Morgan can play the OLB in the 3-4. If you go onto the Georgia Tech site I asked a question on there if they believe he could play that role and they think he is better suited for a 4-3 scheme with his hand in the dirt. Now obviously fans don't always know everything but you never know. TIFWIW

j-off-her-doll
03-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Considering that this year is very lean for LBs and our big need for one, this pick is perfect.

This draft is deep for safeties and inside defensive lineman so they can be had at 2 and 3.

However since we have a need for a pass catching TE and this year is also lean for them I'd go for one in the 3rd and wait on a NT.

I see our needs as SOLB, FS, TE, and NT in that order. Then look for a real speedster WR that can also do returns.

Is this a joke? OLB is as deep as any position in the draft. And, the draft isn't very deep at FS (we don't need a SS), and none of the NT's are worth drafting in the1st. After Berry and Thomas, there are no dynamic FS's. After Morgan - assuming he can play OLB - you have Graham, Hughes, Griffen, Kindle, Worilds, Sapp, Misi, Gibson, Davis, etc.

Doctor Phibes
03-28-2010, 01:08 AM
He's a 4-3 DE - too slow to play OLB in our defense

SnakeoilSeller
03-28-2010, 01:11 AM
I really dont think he is a 3-4 OLB. I could think of several players that I would want more. He has BUST written all over him for an OLB.

TheBow305
03-28-2010, 02:02 AM
I don't think he is an ideal fit, but he has the intangibles and heart to make it work. Guy is a hard worker and will be at least a very solid pro for the next 10 years or so.

That being said, I think this is looking more and more possible every day, although I wouldn't rule out them using this as a strategy to entice teams to move up. I think Dez will be there when we pick and I have a hard time believing we pass on him. I actually think that even if Dez is gone, we could select Demaryius Thomas.

BobDole
03-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Is this a joke? OLB is as deep as any position in the draft. And, the draft isn't very deep at FS (we don't need a SS), and none of the NT's are worth drafting in the1st. After Berry and Thomas, there are no dynamic FS's. After Morgan - assuming he can play OLB - you have Graham, Hughes, Griffen, Kindle, Worilds, Sapp, Misi, Gibson, Davis, etc.

eh ... i don't know about all that. this is the weakest draft i can remember for OLB's. there are literally none that are sure things - hughes is the closest IMO and even he isn't a can't miss. there are plenty of FS's i think will be good after berry and thomas - although they are by far the cream of the crop. burnett, allen, stuckey, etc.. i know SS is deeper but the FS class ain't exactly chopped liver. still think S and DT are the deepest positions this year. OLB, TE, and QB are the weakest IMO.

i tend to think morgan would be better served as a 4-3 end but i don't rule him out as a 3-4 OLB. my take on it is i think thomas is a can't miss - so i'd personally rather go for him.

it's too bad we missed out on the insanely deep OLB class last year - it ain't lookin too good right about now. we need at least 1 but ...

foozool13
03-28-2010, 02:57 AM
I think he is too big for OLB...seems like a perfect 4-3 DE

ZachThomas76
03-28-2010, 03:03 AM

dont mind him. and no, it probably wasnt a joke.

LikeUntoGod
03-28-2010, 04:02 AM
I think he is too big for OLB...seems like a perfect 4-3 DE

Look at the size of the Cowboy's OLB's. They are huge. A perfect SOLB in the Parcell's 3-4 is at least 6'4" and 265 pounds. The problem is that they are not everywhere and it might take a few years to find them.

But Parcells would rather wait then settle for less then what he feels is needed.

LikeUntoGod
03-28-2010, 04:13 AM
eh ... i don't know about all that. this is the weakest draft i can remember for OLB's. there are literally none that are sure things - hughes is the closest IMO and even he isn't a can't miss. there are plenty of FS's i think will be good after berry and thomas - although they are by far the cream of the crop. burnett, allen, stuckey, etc.. i know SS is deeper but the FS class ain't exactly chopped liver. still think S and DT are the deepest positions this year. OLB, TE, and QB are the weakest IMO.

i tend to think morgan would be better served as a 4-3 end but i don't rule him out as a 3-4 OLB. my take on it is i think thomas is a can't miss - so i'd personally rather go for him.

it's too bad we missed out on the insanely deep OLB class last year - it ain't lookin too good right about now. we need at least 1 but ...

True.

What we are looking for is a SOLB and Parcells likes them to be very big. He would even like his WOLBs to be big. That allows them not only to stop the run but to be very hard to be stopped by a RB, TE etc when rushing the passer.

I think LT was at least 6'4, 265 pounds.

There are at least 3 FSs after Berry and Thomas that could start and play well for us.

And you are so right on missing out on LBs last year(including some very very good ones). Just one more reason to hate the Pat White pick. Us getting Dansby this off season was HUGE for us. It allows us not to have to grab one of the very few ILbs in this draft.

Danny
03-28-2010, 04:16 AM
I hope we do NOT take this guy at all.He's not an OLB.....he's a 4-3 DE and that's one thing we don't need.I'm still hoping that Bryant is there and that we actually pull the triger on a guy that will probably be the bigest playmaker to come out of this draft.If not him there are several players I'd take at 12 but Morgan is not one of them.

Ozzy rules!!

DcRy82
03-28-2010, 04:35 AM
I hope that Safety or Dez Bryant are the pick at 12... However, I think that if we go OLB, I think it will be JPP before Derrick Morgan. That said, I dont want either of them.

finfan54
03-28-2010, 04:53 AM
matt roth? hello

if the guy has the size they want for the position and all the work ethic/character/openness to explore a new position, then the kid will learn the position quickly.

They want a big guy to seal the edge who also can do alot of other stuff well. He has the athleticism. He just needs to learn it.

But so would almost any real OLB in this draft. Its just not that clear cut as some think.

Spesh
03-28-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but highlight/lowlight reel of Derrick Morgan. Like many others i had him pegged as a pure Defensive End so i largely ignored him, but the guy seems impressive from all the reports ive heard and he's gaining momentum as the draft closes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10cTyF6CxOE

Also, Mayock discusses Morgan:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8172b285/Converting-to-LB