PDA

View Full Version : Florida Sports Buzz: Dolphins interested in Spikes, Cunningham, Owens

jim1
03-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Among those invited by the Dolphins to an April 9 predraft workout audition for players with local ties: UM's Jimmy Graham, Jason Fox, Darryl Sharpton, Dedrick Epps, Sam Shields and Javarris James and FAU quarterback Rusty Smith and tight end Jamari Grant. Georgia's Jeff Owens, a likely midrounder, also was invited and is a viable nose tackle option. . . . Dolphins defensive coordinator Mike Nolan attended UF's recent Pro Day, and Miami expressed an interest in defensive end Jermaine Cunningham and inside linebacker Brandon Spikes.

Spikes isn't especially needed after Miami signed Karlos Dansby, but evaluators believe Cunningham (18.5 sacks in 45 games) could play outside linebacker in Miami's 3-4 defense (a big need). Cunningham should go in rounds two or three.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/28/1551227_p2/will-slow-start-prove-costly-for.html

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/28/1551227_p2/will-slow-start-prove-costly-for.html#ixzz0jSu2qSr0 (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/28/1551227_p2/will-slow-start-prove-costly-for.html#ixzz0jSu2qSr0)

Morey161
03-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I would love to get Jason Fox I think with the recent injury problems he could drop an be a great value.

COphinphan89
03-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Hell, Spikes will probably be available in the 5th at this point. He's had a terrible past few months.

Markcalius
03-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Hell, Spikes will probably be available in the 5th at this point. He's had a terrible past few months.

Crazy to think. I just saw a youtube clip a few days ago of Michael Oher before he was drafted saying Spikes was the toughest LB he faced in college. Now he's a late-rounder.

COphinphan89
03-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Crazy to think. I just saw a youtube clip a few days ago of Michael Oher before he was drafted saying Spikes was the toughest LB he faced in college. Now he's a late-rounder.

It is crazy. He struggled with injuries this past season and seemed to be a step slower. Staying in school was a mistake for him. Since we don't have any 5th round picks I wouldn't mind us taking a look at him in the 4th or the 6th if he's there. Give him a shot and see if he can redeem himself. If he can't take reps from Crowder then he really has a problem.

LikeUntoGod
03-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I get the Dolphin Digest and in their mock draft they had us taking Jermaine Cunningham in the 3rd round as a DE/OLB.

dagger151
03-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Spikes has to be better than 5th round talent although wasnt Bryan Cox and Zach Thomas a 5th rounder?

TheBow305
03-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I don't want any part of these guys, other than Graham, Epps and Owens.

Spikes is a headcase and SLOW. Cunningham isn't bad, but Gator DE's haven't been all that successful recently. Shields has been a waste for the Canes, Sharpton can't tackle or catch and is undersized, and the rest are at positions we don't neccesarily need.

BobDole
03-29-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't want any part of these guys, other than Graham, Epps and Owens.

Spikes is a headcase and SLOW. Cunningham isn't bad, but Gator DE's haven't been all that successful recently. Shields has been a waste for the Canes, Sharpton can't tackle or catch and is undersized, and the rest are at positions we don't neccesarily need.

besides the whole eye gouge debacle, spikes is anything but a whack job. never got into any trouble in college and has a very good head on his shoulders. he sure as hell ran slow but doesn't play slow - at all. we don't have that major need anymore but if he's still around in the 5th - why not?

you're right about gator DE's not producing recently - but the gators have a proven track record of producing DE's and MLB's. armstrong, kearse, carter, brown, etc. at DE and peterson, davis, crowder, etc. at MLB. those are 2 positions i trust coming out of the swamp. cunningham is worth a look in the 3rd or 4th if he's still there - he can definitely rush off the edge.

agreed on the other stuff.

SQuinn17
03-29-2010, 12:40 AM
I'd take Spikes in the 4th.

DefensiveEnd76
03-29-2010, 01:18 AM
I would love to get Jason Fox I think with the recent injury problems he could drop an be a great value.

Jason Fox is a big wuss. He is weak and plays too much finesse. He has no power at all.

dolfan_101
03-29-2010, 04:18 AM
I would be happy with spikes in the 4th, but 5th would he da beeeest.

Danny
03-29-2010, 04:33 AM
I'd take Spikes in the 5 but we don't have a 5th....in the 4th round I'd still take him.....I'm not so much into the numbers...I believe he can make plays and I believe he'll be better than Crowder and I bet he knows where London is!

Ozzy rules!!

dolfan_101
03-29-2010, 04:40 AM
I would be happy with spikes in the 4th, but 5th would he da beeeest.

assuming we gather a 5th -_____-

MP-Omnis
03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I dunno how Jeff Owens is going to be a NT. That guy is all chest.