PDA

View Full Version : George Selvie DE/OLB

Paper Tigers
03-29-2010, 04:59 AM
What happened to this guy? I watched him at USF for four years and he was consistently a beast. I always thought he would be an awesome 3-4 OLB, but it seems like no one is talking about him anymore. Did he perform badly at the combine or is he just being overshadowed by Jason Pierre Paul? He could be a steal if available in the later rounds.

SQuinn17
03-29-2010, 05:09 AM
Consistent? He was a nobody last year.

DKphin
03-29-2010, 05:12 AM
George Selvie, South Florida

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/03/georgeselvie-1.jpg DE/OLB

South Florida

Senior

Ht: 6’ 3” 245 lbs.

Strengths: Elite Burst, Closing Speed, Tackling, Experience, Production

Weaknesses: Strength, Speed, Above-Average Athleticism, Frame/Size, Pass Rush Moves
By Daryl Breault (http://www.nfldraftdog.com/draftdog-writers/daryl-breault.html)
South Florida’s George Selvie is still living off his monster 2007 season when he led the country with 31.5 TFL and 14.5 sacks. Coming off a freshman year that saw him post 84 tackles, 14.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks, Selvie was expected to be a star in 2008 and cement a spot in the top half of the NFL Draft. His success worked against him, not to mention an ankle sprain, as teams directed more attention his way and his numbers suffered, falling to 14.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks.

This year has been a huge disappointment as Selvie has failed to produce despite playing opposite rising star Jason Pierre-Paul. Neither had gotten the pressure expected, let alone needed, and Selvie has three sacks and Pierre-Paul only 1. Selvie’s 7.5 TFL put him on pace to be well below his career averages. As a result, Selvie has seen his stock plummet.

He was named USF’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2006 and won numerous accolades in his breakout 2007 season: Big East Defensive Player of the Year, Associated Press, Coaches, ESPN, Walter Camp, Football Writers, CBS and Rivals 1st Team All-American, Hendricks and Nagurski finalist, Bill Willis trophy award winner, Tampa Amateur Male Athlete of the Year by the Sports Club of Tampa Bay, and established the USF and Big East Conference single-season records for TFL with 31.5. Despite the drop in statistics and the injury in 2008 he still earned 1st Team All American from the Coaches Association and 2nd Team from Walter Camp as well as consensus All-Big East selection.

Speed, speed and more speed. Selvie is just too fast for many OT to handle 1-on-1 and as a result Selvie faces extra attention on nearly every play. He is arguably the fastest player in college football off the snap and closes in the blink of an eye. He seems to surprise QB’s at times, getting to them before they expect to get hit and will use his long arms to attack the ball carriers hands. Forced 3 fumbles in each of his first two years but has only 2 in the last year and half. Excellent hand usage allows him to split the double team to make plays and faces double teams on 75% of his plays. Makes quite a few tackles, and TFL, chasing runners down and while his athleticism is good but not great but he compensates with sound tackling and surprisingly strong arm tackles. Early production made him tough to ignore but his recent body of work is under whelming.

Despite all of the gaudy stats, Selvie may not be able to play either DE or LB as a pro. He hustles and chases but does not possess elite speed to keep up with TE and RB. He lacks great change of direction skills for coverage and has little experience dropping back. It’s a bit of a stretch to see him ever developing into a reliable defender in coverage. He has a natural core strength but has little ability to anchor against the run and no bull rush. Usually lines up wide of the tackle to take advantage of burst but lacks a variety of pass rush moves. Does not pop a ball carrier and is more of a drag down type.

Selvie has been passed by other South Florida defenders like CB Jerome Murphy, FS Nate Allen and the aforementioned Pierre-Paul. Right now it appears like Selvie has no position and no shot at a high pick, topping out as a situational pass rusher. Expect him to hear his name called sometime after the first 65 picks.http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2010-nfl-draft/george-selvie.html

Paper Tigers
03-29-2010, 05:19 AM
Consistent? He was a nobody last year.

From what I remember he was still getting a bunch of double teams last season.

finfan54
03-29-2010, 05:32 AM
sounds to me like he got all the attention-double teams and JPP got the bene. Stay away from both but Selvie falls far, BP and co. may be lookin.

j-off-her-doll
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't draft Selvie.

dr.jake
03-30-2010, 03:19 AM
selvie shouldda jumped last year. he's probably dropped two rounds by staying. i still like him though 4+.

#1dolphinsfan
03-30-2010, 03:40 AM
I wouldnt mind having him depending on the round we get him

Oraclepz
03-30-2010, 03:45 AM
my boy Selvie is dropping like a rock... i would still draft him in the late rounds... he underachieved some what but he did take on a lot of doubles. He ran a 4.87 40 i believe which hurt his stock even more. Selvie has never been fast, his forte was his initial burst off the line was TOPs in NCAA football a few years back which is why he had all those sacks. Hes hasnt shown that burst since his injury. I would draft him late and see if we can get him to his old self. He would be a tremendous steal!

X-Pacolypse
03-30-2010, 04:03 AM
He should've taken the jump after his junior year. He cost himself millions of dollars. Poor guy, he had no idea he was going to have that tough of a senior campaign.

Vote X-Pacolypse.