PDA

View Full Version : First impressions of Dez pro day..

MDFINFAN
03-30-2010, 10:04 PM
There was a report earlier in the day that Bryant ran a 4.32 time in the 40-yard dash last week. Well, what a difference a week makes. On Tuesday, Bryant ran an averaged 4.55 time in the 40-yard dash with one time with the wind at 4.5 and one time against the wind at 4.6, according to a source.

[Update: Gil Brandt of NFL.com says the more accurate time is 4.52 (with the wind) and 4.68 (against the wind). Brandt reports Bryant ran a third time and posted another 4.52. That averages out to 4.6]

Those are good times, on average, for a 220-pound man. But it isn't jaw-dropping. One interesting thing about Bryant's weight: He has dropped from the 225 he weighed at the Indianapolis Combine in February.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/dez-bryant-will-likely-be-available-when-the-dolphins-pick-in-the-first-round-at-no-12--but-the-chances-of-bryant-being-the.html#ixzz0jgTJUG31

Quick react: Bryant Pro Day good, not great

(http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/dez-bryant-will-likely-be-available-when-the-dolphins-pick-in-the-first-round-at-no-12--but-the-chances-of-bryant-being-the.html)

TKAllDay
03-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Good enough for the 12 pick imo

elite14eva
03-30-2010, 10:41 PM
watch we pass on him.

Aqua and Orange
03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I think Bryant had to really stink it up to mess up his draft stock. The 40 time is not great, but I don't think it hurt him enough to make him slip out of the top 20 (or slip to us IMO).

Aqua and Orange
03-30-2010, 10:48 PM
watch we pass on him.

I think the majority of folks on this board have that sick feeling in their stomach that this will happen.

The team has not even talked to the other troubled FA WRs, Parcells doesn't draft WRs high, Dez's behavior in regard to showing up late to practice doesn't fit the team's "all effort, all the time" mold, and the Dolphins are completely conflicted on its character stance as of late...not looking good.
:boohoo:

foycore79
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Anyone know if he was still working out during all that time off or did he just wait until last month to start again imo knowing you are going to declare you should at least kept in shape with all the extra time

Elliott 1
03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
This Dez mania is insane. and running a 4.6 isn't good. It isn't even that good for TE.

What is this crud????? Good for a guy 220. Are you kidding me????

Jimmy Graham weighs over 260 and he consistently runs in the low 4.5's.

And a 38 inch vertical is average for a wide out. Jameson Konz weighs 235 and he had a vertical of 46 inches at his pro day.

Dez Bryant has elite hands; thats nice, so does Terrell Hudgins and we can have him in the 6th, and Hudgins owns every NCAA record in the books, and he doesn't have character or work ethic issues, and he is bigger than Dez Bryant and he ran a 4.52 at his pro day as well.

What does Dez really offer that Hudgins doesn't bring to the table???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Maybe a little quicker, a little more elusive, but if anything Hudgins has better hands, is taller and bigger.

So you have a guy with every advantage compared to a guy from tiny Elon and the big name brat is almost outclassed.

Who knows how great Hudgins may become once he is subject to good coaching and state of the art training facilities.

With Bryant, your looking at it, not much upside.

Why should they risk the 12th pick in the draft on a guy who may not turn out better than a 6th rounder?

AdamC13
03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Anyone know if he was still working out during all that time off or did he just wait until last month to start again imo knowing you are going to declare you should at least kept in shape with all the extra time

My understanding is he was nursing a pulled hamstring. Tough to keep in top shape when that happens. Of course, falling out of shape in the first place can lead to pulling the hamstring to begin with.

NYinBostonFin
03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I think the majority of folks on this board have that sick feeling in their stomach that this will happen.

The team has not even talked to the other troubled FA WRs, Parcells doesn't draft WRs high, Dez's behavior in regard to showing up late to practice doesn't fit the team's "all effort, all the time" mold, and the Dolphins are completely conflicted on its character stance as of late...not looking good.
:boohoo:

I know its not BP's mo to draft a WR in the 1st, but its not like he NEVER did. I know I will be hoping he drafts Dez if he's there.

I remember someone posting that BP's earliest DT was in the 2nd round...but a lot of mocks have us taking Dan at #12.

It might be wishful thinking, but the way I'm looking at it we are more likely to draft a WR with #12 than a DT.

SabanHater
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
watch we pass on him.

With our defense last season??? we probably do pass on him.

AdamC13
03-30-2010, 11:06 PM

Why should they risk the 12th pick in the draft on a guy who may not turn out better than a 6th rounder?
Because in 28 games / 19 as a starter (Freshman, Sophomore, and only "3" games as a Junior) Bryant caught 147 passes, 2,425 yards, and 29 TDs.

Pretty tough to have a lot of upside when you are putting up the numbers he ALREADY does.

C'mon...comparing Bryant to Hudgins...

lucid22
03-30-2010, 11:06 PM
One word: Freddie Barnes

Zounds
03-30-2010, 11:19 PM
I'll pass on Bryant at #12. Even though he had a good college career, he still has too much risk imo. While I dont think he would be a trouble maker, he seems like a guy that would let himself go once he got that big paycheck. That 4.6 - 40/dash time scares me because he was running at below his normal weight - so shouldnt he actually be faster?? I dont buy the hamstring thing, because if that were a factor he could still run closer to the draft and give it more time.

NYinBostonFin
03-30-2010, 11:20 PM
One word: Freddie Barnes

I thought grammar was bad on this site....now is counting an issue? :lol:

Bta72dolphins
03-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Dez as a dolphins would shock the hell out of me. I believe we will find a WR after the draft ,but if we do draft a wr it will be midpoint or late.

Elliott 1
03-31-2010, 12:01 AM
Because in 28 games / 19 as a starter (Freshman, Sophomore, and only "3" games as a Junior) Bryant caught 147 passes, 2,425 yards, and 29 TDs.

Pretty tough to have a lot of upside when you are putting up the numbers he ALREADY does.

C'mon...comparing Bryant to Hudgins...

No, lets compare.

Hudgins had 5,250 yards and 395 receptions. Both are records, and he owns 10 more as well, including every record Jerry Rice ever had.

Bryant surely has superiority in some areas but, body of work, is defintely not one of them.

You could easily say Hudgins body of work was three times as great as Bryants.

Bryant had a better vertical and broad jump, but would there really have been much difference if Hudgins would have had the opportunity to train in state of the art facilities at one of the combine training centers.

I saw his pro day forty on youtube. His form was horrible. If he had proper track and field training for running and jumping I;m sure his pro day numbers would have been much better. He could easily run in the 4.4's if he would learn technique.

If Hudgins can improve his cuts and breaks the sky is the limit for him. But as far as his size and ball catching ability goes, they are elite and second to none, including Dez. Dez has elite hands but Hudgins is a phenom in that capacity. He really does catch everything, and the records he holds proves it.

Hudgins in the 6th is a better value than Dez in the 1st.

Canadi-Phin
03-31-2010, 12:16 AM
This Dez mania is insane. and running a 4.6 isn't good. It isn't even that good for TE.

And a 38 inch vertical is average for a wide out. Jameson Konz weighs 235 and he had a vertical of 46 inches at his pro day.

Dez Bryant has elite hands; thats nice, so does Terrell Hudgins and we can have him in the 6th, and Hudgins owns every NCAA record in the books, and he doesn't have character or work ethic issues, and he is bigger than Dez Bryant and he ran a 4.52 at his pro day as well.

What does Dez really offer that Hudgins doesn't bring to the table???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Maybe a little quicker, a little more elusive, but if anything Hudgins has better hands, is taller and bigger.

So you have a guy with every advantage compared to a guy from tiny Elon and the big name brat is almost outclassed.

Who knows how great Hudgins may become once he is subject to good coaching and state of the art training facilities.

So Hudgins is 10-15lbs heavier, that makes him bigger only in weight. Who was covering Hudgins? compared to Bryant? Cause I know Texas has had lots of good safeties and corners come out in the 3 years that Bryant has been scoring Tds against them. Guys who play in the NFL. Same with Oklahoma. Please don't use Jerry Rice as a comparison that is unfair to the kid and your argument. The one example of a Div 1-AA player kicking ***.

Who knows anything about any of these players? If we depend on a 6th rounder to get over the top at the receiver position we shouldn't even waste a pick there. Especially if we have to wait for him to develop even more than a guy from a big school.

Canadi-Phin
03-31-2010, 12:18 AM
No, lets compare.

Hudgins had 5,250 yards and 395 receptions. Both are records, and he owns 10 more as well, including every record Jerry Rice ever had.

Bryant surely has superiority in some areas but, body of work, is defintely not one of them.

Bryant had a better vertical and broad jump, but would there really have been much difference if Hudgins would have had the opportunity to train in state of the art facilities at one of the combine training centers.

I saw his pro day forty on youtube. His form was horrible. If he had proper track and field training for running and jumping I;m sure his pro day numbers would have been much better. He could easily run in the 4.4's if he would learn technique.

If Hudgins can improve his cuts and breaks the sky is the limit for him. But as far as his size and ball catching ability goes, they are elite and second to none, including Dez. Dez has elite hands but Hudgins is a phenom in that capacity. He really does catch everything, and the records he holds proves it.

Please tell me your joking, give me a break. Talent level at which Dez dominated as a 19 year old is not even close. His Sophmore year Texas and Oklahoma were great teams and he still had amazing numbers on an average Okla St team.

godolphins1985
03-31-2010, 12:32 AM
what matters is what he does on the field not running in a straight line.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 12:33 AM
watch we pass on him.

I would be pretty pissed that would be a huge mistake the only way i would pass is if Eric berry is there

godolphins1985
03-31-2010, 12:42 AM
I would be pretty pissed that would be a huge mistake the only way i would pass is if Eric berry is there

I agree other than suh berry being there at 12 lmao..if we passed on bryant for anyone else I will be triple pissed at the fo more so then drafting john beck or pat white.

X-Pacolypse
03-31-2010, 12:50 AM
I agree other than suh berry being there at 12 lmao..if we passed on bryant for anyone else I will be triple pissed at the fo more so then drafting john beck or pat white.

Speaking of the devil, how come I don't see you in the John Beck Memorial Thread anymore?

jlfin
03-31-2010, 03:41 AM
watch we pass on him.

as well we should

jlfin
03-31-2010, 03:51 AM
Please tell me your joking, give me a break. Talent level at which Dez dominated as a 19 year old is not even close. His Sophmore year Texas and Oklahoma were great teams and he still had amazing numbers on an average Okla St team.

On 'Path to the draft' one of the panel brought up Bryant's game against Georgia. Georgia had a physical secondary and they held him to 3 catches.

Additionally, it was brought up that his 40 times after several attempts dropped significantly, indicating that perhaps he was out of shape. They also brought up the fact that he didn't finish drills and didn't appear to even know how to run the cone drill.
This is in essence a job interview and he showed up unprepared. Doesn't speak well of his work ethic.
The guy may have all the talent in the world, but he doesn't strike me as a guy with the drive to win (like a Jerry Rice).
He also doesn't have 4.3 speed like Randy Moss, which can sometimes compensate for lack of effort.
There are just too many red flags IMHO to spend the 12th pick in the draft on him.
This team needs to get to the next level and they really can't afford to blow this pick.

rickd13
03-31-2010, 03:58 AM
On 'Path to the draft' one of the panel brought up Bryant's game against Georgia. Georgia had a physical secondary and they held him to 3 catches.

Additionally, it was brought up that his 40 times after several attempts dropped significantly, indicating that perhaps he was out of shape. They also brought up the fact that he didn't finish drills and didn't appear to even know how to run the cone drill.
This is in essence a job interview and he showed up unprepared. Doesn't speak well of his work ethic.
The guy may have all the talent in the world, but he doesn't strike me as a guy with the drive to win (like a Jerry Rice).
He also doesn't have 4.3 speed like Randy Moss, which can sometimes compensate for lack of effort.
There are just too many red flags IMHO to spend the 12th pick in the draft on him.
This team needs to get to the next level and they really can't afford to blow this pick.

I agree with you. Too much risk for the 12th pick.

finfan54
03-31-2010, 04:43 AM

TOTALLY CONCUR!!!

Elliott 1
03-31-2010, 01:01 PM
So Hudgins is 10-15lbs heavier, that makes him bigger only in weight. Who was covering Hudgins? compared to Bryant? Cause I know Texas has had lots of good safeties and corners come out in the 3 years that Bryant has been scoring Tds against them. Guys who play in the NFL. Same with Oklahoma. Please don't use Jerry Rice as a comparison that is unfair to the kid and your argument. The one example of a Div 1-AA player kicking ***.

Who knows anything about any of these players? If we depend on a 6th rounder to get over the top at the receiver position we shouldn't even waste a pick there. Especially if we have to wait for him to develop even more than a guy from a big school.

How can you not compare him to Jerry Rice????????????

They played in the same conference and any records that Jerry Rice held were broken by Hudgins. The situation demands comparison with Rice.

Now, don't presume I'm predicting a similar NFL career for Hudgins, but the facts are the facts.

Elliott 1
03-31-2010, 01:14 PM

Of course the competition level is a vital issue to compare, but so is the issue of training and development.

Dez had every advantage playing for an elite organization. Far superior coaching and mentoring, far better trainers and training facilities, the encouragement and support of boosters and all that entails, both legal and otherwise.

They show the Elon weight room on some of the youtube videos and my HS back in days of yore had better stuff.

If Hudgins had access to professional mentoring and state of the art facilties, I have no doubt he would improve his athletic numbers and his game dramatically.

I would take a guy like Hudgins over a guy like Braylon Edwards any day.

Guys whocan actually make every catch while being hit and held are rare.

Great athletes who drop easy passes because they can't focus are as easy as pie to find.

I'm not saying Dez doesn't have elite hands but he isn't a superior athlete and he shouldn't be made out as one.

The cleats huh; it's always something with him isn't it.

MadDog 88
03-31-2010, 02:22 PM
The biggest thing that stands out for me is forgetting his cleats. With all the red flags on him and he comes to his job interview unprepared is a huge red flag. I hope that the Trifecta goes in a different direction but I am becoming concerned Bryant may be the choice if available.

AdamC13
03-31-2010, 06:38 PM
No, lets compare.

Gimme a break...such an AMAZING player and yet can't project higher than the 6th round? Please...

Comparing him with Rice...:crazy: You know Rice was taken in the 1st round. The 49ers traded up to get him. I think if Hudgins was anywhere near the talent of Rice he would have moved up into the first couple rounds of the guys who evaluate talent for a living.

And you also think the solution of improving our rather mundane WR group is to draft ANOTHER mundane WR? Saying that we shouldn't draft Bryant in the 1st b/c Hudgins offers better value in the 6th is ludicrous.

An argument can be made that Davone Bess is a better VALUE than Larry Fitzgerald.

Davone Bess was an undrafted FA who was signed to a minimum contract. His numbers last year...76 receptions, 758 yards, 2 TDs. Bess might be the best VALUE WR in the NFL.

Larry Fitzgerald cost the Cardinals the 3rd pick in the draft and his contract averages $10 million dollars a year. His numbers last year...97 receptions, 1,092 yards, 13 TDs.

Your solution is to add another mundane WR to our already mundane WR group b/c he has better value in the 6th round. This does NOTHING to improve our WRs or offense. My solution is to add a BLUE-CHIP player that actually IMPROVES our WRs and offense and help us WIN ball games.