PDA

View Full Version : Alabama ILB Rolando McClain workouts for Dolphins

FinAtic8480
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Source: #Dolphins had Alabama ILB Rolando McClain in for a visit Monday and Tuesday.

www.twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero

ROADRUNNER
03-30-2010, 10:44 PM
www.twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero (http://www.twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero)

next best after Earl Thomas..............thanks for the info

datruth55
03-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Big drop off in the draft at ILB after McClain. I see him as the same player as Dansby though. I would prefer someone who compliments Dansby, does the things that Dansby can't do or isn't particularly good at.

Wouldn't oppose the pick though, he would start over Crowder.

oasis
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Crowder being expendable would be a dream come true. But this has to be due diligence...just too many other needs and it's hard to envision a scenario where the ONLY option is to pick McClain.

Chubby
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
I beleive they are going to give Channing a shot to play next to Dansby and see if he will step it up, I could see us drafting someone later in draft but not at 1.
If Channing doesnt step up then ILB could be addressed early next year.
Chubbs

Aqua and Orange
03-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I beleive they are going to give Channing a shot to play next to Dansby and see if he will step it up, I could see us drafting someone later in draft but not at 1.
If Channing doesnt step up then ILB could be addressed early next year.
Chubbs

Agreed.

SRM
03-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I don't think ILB is a need at this point. Working McClain out was probably all part of the trickery leading up to the draft.

FinAtic8480
03-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Guys Crowder can improve next to Dansby, but his set backs last year are very dicouraging.

JCfinfan
03-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I listened to him on Sirius a couple hours ago. He didnt really say much just stated he just left Miami and will be visiting the Giants next. I prefer to go in a different direction since we signed Dansby.

Spesh
03-31-2010, 12:11 AM
It's always good to look at all our options, but as others have stated the need at that position has been filled. And the drop off between McClain to Crowder isn't as large as the dropoff at some of our positions(Dan Williams to Solai, Derrick Morgan/Brandon Graham to Charlie Anderson, Earl Thomas to Chris Clemons, etc, etc, etc).

As well, i just don't see McClain making it past Denver at 11. They rebuilt their D-line through Free Agency(thereby eliminating a need), then proceeded to cut Andra Davis and have made no effort to fill that position. Seems like they are pretty confident in drafting him.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 12:19 AM
I would like to see Sean weatherspoon in for a workout

dolfan91
03-31-2010, 01:03 AM
I might be in the minority here ... but i actually think McClains' versatility can allow him to make the switch to OLB ... lord knows Miami's OLB couldn't set the edge against the run last season ... McClain could be just what the Doctor ordered in that dept ... just my opinion!!!

cobbs321
03-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Who knows. Maybe they're thinkin about switching dansby to olb and mcclain as Ilb

X-Pacolypse
03-31-2010, 01:09 AM
Due dillegence, I'm guessing.

HurriPhin
03-31-2010, 03:30 AM
Draft McClain and cut Clamming Chowder. :d-day:

D-bolt
03-31-2010, 03:39 AM
I might be in the minority here ... but i actually think McClains' versatility can allow him to make the switch to OLB ... lord knows Miami's OLB couldn't set the edge against the run last season ... McClain could be just what the Doctor ordered in that dept ... just my opinion!!!

I just don't see him making the transition to olb. I guess my main reasoning is Ithink he plays to upright and will get killed in the open field by fullbacks in the running game. He plays to upright and he is a drag tackler and not a solid hitter....He actually looks like a bear dry humping a sappling when he tackles.

SRM
03-31-2010, 03:40 AM
I just don't see him making the transition to olb. I guess my main reasoning is Ithink he plays to upright and will get killed in the open field by fullbacks in the running game. He plays to upright and he is a drag tackler and not a solid hitter....He actually looks like a bear dry humping a sappling when he tackles.

I agree with that. It seems like he usually just wraps up and hopes his weight can drag them down. I could see MJD dragging him for 10 yards..

Doctor Phibes
03-31-2010, 03:43 AM
Crowder's got glass knees - he really shouldn't be a factor in any long term planning such as who to draft in the first round

For me, McClain is different to Dansby - drafting him would give you a nice combo of a heavy hitter and a speed guy. Or you have the option of moving Dansby outside. Either way McClain probably has a lot less question marks than any of the outside linebackers on offer

D-bolt
03-31-2010, 03:49 AM
I would prefer Donald Butler over him....hellI'd even prefer a 2 down player like Micah Johnson who will knock someone out and send a message other than the "I will hump you into submission" tackle technique of McClain. We'd lose him after one preseason game because he'd get arrested for date rape on the football field! Nowthat I said all ofthat we can safely assume with the 12th pick the Miami Dolphins select LB Rolando McClain from Alabama.

finfan54
03-31-2010, 04:59 AM
McClain wildcard for us is that he totally knows our defense and is smart enough to do multiple facets with Dansby.

If by the end of this draft we ended up with a good OLB, McClain, and Cam Thomas/Linvale Joseph, you could just chalk this one up to top 5 defense eventually.

AZStryker
03-31-2010, 05:48 AM
If we must draft a LB in the first round, then I'd much rather have McClain than Morgan, JPP, or Graham.

bdhock
03-31-2010, 05:51 AM
I was going to ask about moving him to SOLB but you answered that very nicely. What about moving Dansby to SOLB I heard something about that back when we were signing him.

D-bolt
03-31-2010, 07:52 PM
BD,
That was a theory before he signed. The media said that Miami would move him to OLB if they were in a bidding war a needed to find a logical reason to pay him more. Dansby will be a MLB and he will let Crowder dowhathe does best andthat's randomlyruninto the fat guys andtake up a blocker. Also it make more sense tokeep Dansby in the middle of the field to defendthe passing game. Coveringthe middle of the field takes away more options than relagating him to one side where a safety and a corner and the boundries all can shorten the passing game naturally.