PDA

View Full Version : CJ Spiller or Dez Bryant ?

FinAtic8480
03-30-2010, 11:00 PM
What if the Dolphins, despite an abundance of need on defense, choose to pick an offensive player in the upcoming NFL Draft?

And what if Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant and Clemson running back C.J. Spiller both are available when Miamiís turn comes up in the No. 12 slot?

Do they choose wide receiver to fill an immediate need? Or do they go to a running back to address a future need when Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams are (soon?) gone? Spiller, too, would serve as a kick returner and might be great fun running the Wildcat offense.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/stodapop/2010/03/30/dolphins-cj-spiller-or-dez-bryant/

Aqua and Orange
03-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Well at this point the team has at least met with Spiller. I have seen nothing in the way of interest from the Dolphins regarding Dez Bryant.

I REALLY hope that changes, or we'll have one of those "we need the thumbs to go in this direction" speeches from Sparano when we pass on Bryant.

FinAtic8480
03-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Well at this point the team has at least met with Spiller. I have seen nothing in the way of interest from the Dolphins regarding Dez Bryant.

I REALLY hope that changes, or we'll have one of those "we need the thumbs to go in this direction" speeches from Sparano when we pass on Bryant.

I have read the Fins interviewed Bryant at the Combine, and they were present at his pro day today.

Aqua and Orange
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
I have read the Fins interviewed Bryant at the Combine, and they were present at his pro day today.

They did interview him? I have not seen that anywhere. If true that definitely puts my mind at ease.
:thanks:

ROADRUNNER
03-30-2010, 11:39 PM
if i have to and i must pick one i would go for Spiller,
and get WR in 2011............but i dont want to pick any of them,

JCfinfan
03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
If I have to choose one or the other at 12, its Spiller for me. Too much baggage with Dez.

datruth55
03-30-2010, 11:47 PM
if i have to and i must pick one i would go for Spiller,
and get WR in 2011............but i dont want to pick any of them,
2011? It generally takes longer for a WR to adjust to the NFL game than it does a RB. If I had to pick between drafting a WR and RB this year I would pick WR.

TheBow305
03-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Dez 100%. Running Back is not a need THIS offseason. We got 4 guys who can play there (Ronnie, Ricky, Lex, Cobbs). We don't have a #1 WR NOW. Dez can be exactly that. We should go with him, regardless of the baggage.

Chubby
03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
If I had to pick who I would select @12 Bryant or Spiller I would Choose: B. Graham or E. Thomas.
Chubbs

FinAtic8480
03-31-2010, 12:01 AM
This is a tough one for me. Spiller would be an awesome weapn and Ricky, Ronnie and Cobbs are all Free Agents next year. Then there is Bryant a heck of WR, but has concerns. I go with Spiller cause unlike Bryant he has not missed a year of college ball and the Fins need a home run threat bad. There are some nice WR in the Draft like a Marcus Easly, Taylor Price, Shane hodge and Scott Long. Shoot as unlikely as it sound Fins can nab Mike Williams.

Phin-Phan 66
03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
It is very likely that both players are there at 12 and we pass on both.
Friggin Dez forgot to bring his cleats to his pro day workout today and it's already an excuse for his lower than anticipated 40 times. You've got to wonder about all the red flags with this kid.
I would have no problem with CJ as he is a stud, but it is not an immediate position of need for us.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 12:16 AM
No question dez Bryant

aj13
03-31-2010, 02:22 AM
its not even close...his pro day he dropped a few balls and he could be seen as slow...if want to play devils advocate and say hes a physical receiver in the larry fitzgerald mold, you go to the types of routes he ran in college...in the spread, running one cross route after another, is hardly gonna get nfl teams excited...he didnt run nfl routes in college...combine that with the other intangibles, says he slides...

spiller is an explosive 20 touch a game back...a game changer...if youre picking bpa, you take spiller....

dolphinsbshaw72
03-31-2010, 02:33 AM
bryant.. you can find really good rb's in later rounds..

HurriPhin
03-31-2010, 03:26 AM
Between Spiller and Bryant I would take E. Berry, E. Thomas or McClain. :up:

Miamifin23
03-31-2010, 04:24 AM
Hell why don't we trade our 2nd rd and some more to move up to oakland's spot and take bryant and then with our pick at 12 pick spiller. Sounds nice huh? Won't happen, on a serious note I would take Dez Bryant.

TedSlimmJr
03-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Good grief....it's C.J. Spiller you numbnuts...

Everyone...fill in the blanks yourself:

Top 10 reasons Bryant over Spiller...

Top 10 reasons Spiller over Bryant:

** Ronnie and Ricky in 2010 isn't a reason to pass up on the most explosive, and safest offensive weapon in the draft.....so don't even attempt it...which is similar to the same boneheaded reasoning behind passing up on Patrick Willis because of Zach Thomas and Clowning Crowder. You're required to look past September-January of 2010 with the 12th overall pick in the draft **

C.J. Spiller's don't come in every draft......Dez Bryant's do...

FinsGuy939
03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Spiller because of his versatility. I watched almost single-handedly dismantle the Hurricanes in every way imaginable.

hammond47
03-31-2010, 09:32 AM
spiller is was too small to run the wildcat, and hes not a 3 down back. hes a luxury we cant afford right now. we desperately need a reciever. a #1 reciever. you can get that in bryant. you wont find another immediate number 1 in this draft. and you already have a great running back. there are other runningbacks that can be taken later in the draft that will be good.

Mr. Magoo
03-31-2010, 09:42 AM
I'll take a crack at it. Even though I won't be able to fill them all.

Top (7) reasons Bryant over Spiller...

1. Great WRs are harder to find.
2. And have longer careers.
3. Running back is a part time, platoon style position. Your #1 receiver is out there almost every play.
4. Bryant is probably a better punt returner right now.
5. Spiller's upright style and 195 lbs make him an injury risk.
6. The NFL is a passing league, pushing down the value of RBs.
7. The Dolphins have more of a need at the position.

Top (4) reasons Spiller over Bryant:

1. More of a guaranteed prospect. The concerns over Bryant are overstated, but still worrisome. Spiller is a solid, hardworking, determined kid.
2. The Dolphins are primarily a running team.
3. Offers positional flexibility with his ability out of the backfield.
4. Instantly the best kick returner in the NFL.

At least, that's my read of it. Either way, you can't go wrong, talent-wise. Bryant has more a bust potential from a character standpoint, but Spiller has not been the most durable guy at Clemson (though he's played admirably with pain) and his upright style and fearless attitude on the field would make me worry he could consistently finish a season for you. All things considered, though, I see Bryant the bigger risk, since he makes you wonder if you'll get any kind of production out of him (which again, I frankly don't see), where Spiller makes you worry about him staying on the field, not his ability while on it.

So Ted. Would you really take, say, Chris Johnson over Andre Johnson, if given the chance? Or even Chris Johnson over an in-his-prime Eric Moulds? I sort of see the question like that.

MadDog 88
03-31-2010, 09:52 AM
The most important day of his life and he forgets his cleats?? :lol: Pass.

OLB will be the choice at 12. Book it!

XxfeensterxX
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
If I had to pick who I would select @12 Bryant or Spiller I would Choose: B. Graham or E. Thomas.
Chubbs

+1 :)

TedSlimmJr
03-31-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll take a crack at it. Even though I won't be able to fill them all.

Top (7) reasons Bryant over Spiller...

1. Great WRs are harder to find.
2. And have longer careers.
3. Running back is a part time, platoon style position. Your #1 receiver is out there almost every play.
4. Bryant is probably a better punt returner right now.
5. Spiller's upright style and 195 lbs make him an injury risk.
6. The NFL is a passing league, pushing down the value of RBs.
7. The Dolphins have more of a need at the position.

Top (4) reasons Spiller over Bryant:

1. More of a guaranteed prospect. The concerns over Bryant are overstated, but still worrisome. Spiller is a solid, hardworking, determined kid.
2. The Dolphins are primarily a running team.
3. Offers positional flexibility with his ability out of the backfield.
4. Instantly the best kick returner in the NFL.

At least, that's my read of it. Either way, you can't go wrong, talent-wise. Bryant has more a bust potential from a character standpoint, but Spiller has not been the most durable guy at Clemson (though he's played admirably with pain) and his upright style and fearless attitude on the field would make me worry he could consistently finish a season for you. All things considered, though, I see Bryant the bigger risk, since he makes you wonder if you'll get any kind of production out of him (which again, I frankly don't see), where Spiller makes you worry about him staying on the field, not his ability while on it.

So Ted. Would you really take, say, Chris Johnson over Andre Johnson, if given the chance? Or even Chris Johnson over an in-his-prime Eric Moulds? I sort of see the question like that.

I would take Andre over Chris.....but Dez Bryant ain't Andre Johnson....on or off the field...

FinSolari
03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
I would take Andre over Chris.....but Dez Bryant ain't Andre Johnson....on or off the field...

What makes you think Spiller will be another Chris Johnson? he can easily turn out to be another Reggie Bush. You have to see it both ways. However, I think Bryant has more of a chance to be a bust than Spiller.