PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Mitchell

finforlife
03-31-2010, 12:33 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-USFs-Mitchell-burns-up-40-at-pro-day.html

I was hoping this guy might slide to us in 3rd or 4th, but this might put him in the 2nd round range.

My hope was:
1st-Earl Thomas
2nd-Jason Worilds
3rd-Carlton Mitchell

We now might have to spend our second to get Mitchell.

ckparrothead
03-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Running ability was never an issue with Carlton Mitchell. Physicality and tracking the ball in flight, just plain consistency, those are issues.

X-Pacolypse
03-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Running ability was never an issue with Carlton Mitchell. Physicality and tracking the ball in flight, just plain consistency, those are issues.

Sounds like a taller version of Ted Ginn. If that's the case, NO THANK YOU! I'll pass.

ckparrothead
03-31-2010, 01:25 AM
He's not a powder puff by any means. I just don't know how well he gets off the jam at the next level. He can catch the contested ball.

The guy has some GREAT straight up running ability especially at that size. Everything you could ask for. He runs with good pad level, helps him get speed. He can vary his pace, explode, cut, everything. And he seems like the type that can run and run all day. And he can make some pretty fantastic catches, too. Great frame.

But with the ball in the air he's the model of inconsistency because he can adjust to really poorly thrown balls at times and make these superb catches, or he can just not get his head around at all and let the ball go right by and into a defender's hands.

I question his mental game. I think that's usually what that is. He seems to read defenses and communicate them to his QB, but mental consistency is a different issue. For one thing, if you pop in tape of him against UConn, he tipped off whether every play was going to be a run or pass simply by looking at his stance before the snap. If his shoulders were hunched real low and he looked tight, he was running a route. If his shoulders were a little more up and he looked loose, he's just stalk blocking for a run. It didn't stick out like a sore thumb, but it's the sort of little thing that as a coaching staff you would think is so obvious to be careful about that you might not notice that it's happening until it's too late, whereas a smart defender might notice and start making plays. I was literally running through his plays and guessing run/pass purely from his stance and I think I got it right something like 95% of the time.

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 01:39 AM
i think he needs a lot of work on his route running also...seemed to take some extra like choppy steps when gearing down to get into his breaks...etc...

i think he's a very RAW prospect...

DKphin
03-31-2010, 02:05 AM
For one thing, if you pop in tape of him against UConn, he tipped off whether every play was going to be a run or pass simply by looking at his stance before the snap. If his shoulders were hunched real low and he looked tight, he was running a route. If his shoulders were a little more up and he looked loose, he's just stalk blocking for a run. It didn't stick out like a sore thumb, but it's the sort of little thing that as a coaching staff you would think is so obvious to be careful about that you might not notice that it's happening until it's too late, whereas a smart defender might notice and start making plays. I was literally running through his plays and guessing run/pass purely from his stance and I think I got it right something like 95% of the time.
Kind of like when Denny Franks asked Vince Papale what color where his knuckles on "Invincible".:D