PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins to meet with Earl Thomas more the once

FinAtic8480
03-31-2010, 04:55 AM
With the NFL draft three weeks away, the Dolphins might be the biggest wild card out there.

“The Dolphins are the toughest to read right now,” one scout said. “They could go in six different directions.”

One of them is free safety, which is why the Dolphins are among a handful of teams expected to meet in the next couple of days with University of Texas All-America Earl Thomas in Austin, according to a league source.

Thomas, whose Pro Day is Wednesday, also is scheduled to visit South Florida in a couple of weeks, the source said.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/03/30/dolphins-to-meet-more-than-once-with-texas-free-safety-earl-thomas/

Safest pick in my opinion and a true need in a pass happy NFL.

X-Pacolypse
03-31-2010, 05:03 AM
Certainly wouldn't be a bad pick.

TheBow305
03-31-2010, 05:14 AM
I'd be just fine with Earl at 12.

FinAtic8480
03-31-2010, 05:21 AM
He is the smartest choice. Dez & Spiller are real sexy picks and they would both fill needs, but Miami needs to remember this is pass happy league and last year was the perfect example. While I would love Spiller or Bryant, Thomas would make an already young secondary better and give us another defender against what has become the air show in the NFL.

dolfan91
03-31-2010, 05:25 AM
He is the smartest choice. Dez & Spiller are real sexy picks and they would both fill needs, but Miami needs to remember this is pass happy league and last year was the perfect example. While I would love Spiller or Bryant, Thomas would make an already young secondary better and give us another defender against what has become the air show in the NFL.
My only concern about Thomas is, will he hold up against the run ... or in the box ... Not sure he will ...

FinAtic8480
03-31-2010, 05:36 AM
My only concern about Thomas is, will he hold up against the run ... or in the box ... Not sure he will ...

I believe his thin frame has everyone worried, but the guy put up better numbers in a couple of the workouts than Berry. One that comes to mind is the bench. Something interesting I notice is Thomas is listed as a SS per NFL.com as is Berry. Proving my analysis correct this organization loves SS who can play FS.

52CANES
03-31-2010, 05:42 AM

he's the same size as ed reed...then again ed is always thinking about retirement due to the injuries.

FinsFanatic777
03-31-2010, 05:44 AM
he's the same size as ed reed...then again ed is always thinking about retirement due to the injuries.
Then again Ed Reed is one of the most feared ballhawks in the game... I don't really care if he can hold up against the run... Teams are running way fewer in the league now and stopping the pass has become a premium, which this kid can do.

SRM
03-31-2010, 07:09 AM

Well he shouldn't need to fill that role as a run stuffing FS. We have Dansby now, with Crowder freelancing. That immediately takes a lot of pressure of the FS. Before, every other play seemed to head straight to the safety, right past the LB's.

datruth55
03-31-2010, 07:55 AM
A valid concern but if we get a NT that can plug the middle and let Dansby make plays and Crowder attempt to make plays we won't need to worry about putting two safeties in the box like last season.

Earl Thomas is similar to Ed Reed, and I'm not saying he's the next Ed Reed or even as good as Ed Reed, but even if we got a FS that was half as good as Ed Reed we would be making an improvement over Wilson. 0 INTs from your FS is just unacceptable.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 07:56 AM
If Dez, and E. Berry are off the board i am all for drafting Earl Thomas

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 07:59 AM
A valid concern but if we get a NT that can plug the middle and let Dansby make plays and Crowder attempt to make plays we won't need to worry about putting two safeties in the box like last season.

Earl Thomas is similar to Ed Reed, and I'm not saying he's the next Ed Reed or even as good as Ed Reed, but even if we got a FS that was half as good as Ed Reed we would be making an improvement over Wilson. 0 INTs from your FS is just unacceptable.
I would hope we draft a good ILB that can beat out crowder for the starting ILB job even if crowder is there to attempt the Tackle doesnt mean he will get it he isnt anything close to a sure tackler

datruth55
03-31-2010, 08:08 AM
I would hope we draft a good ILB that can beat out crowder for the starting ILB job even if crowder is there to attempt the Tackle doesnt mean he will get it he isnt anything close to a sure tackler
I agree. Don't know that we'll have a chance to get one in this draft though. We need OLBs pretty bad but I would not be surprised if we took 3 linebackers in this draft with one of them being an ILB. This draft is not deep at ILB though.

TKAllDay
03-31-2010, 08:10 AM
It goes without saying that if Berry is on the board we take him, but I really want to draft Thomas. I have been thinking more and more about it, and I almost wouldn't mind if Berry, Bryant are off the board so that we draft Thomas and have nothing to complain about. Thomas is a safe pick and I can see it. I love it

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree. Don't know that we'll have a chance to get one in this draft though. We need OLBs pretty bad but I would not be surprised if we took 3 linebackers in this draft with one of them being an ILB. This draft is not deep at ILB though.
I would hope we could trade down and Draft Sean Weatherspoon that would be awesome our ILB would be amazing with Weatherspoon and Dansby our ILB would be good and coverage and good against the run and sure tacklers and they would be fast

TedSlimmJr
03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
I believe his thin frame has everyone worried, but the guy put up better numbers in a couple of the workouts than Berry. One that comes to mind is the bench. Something interesting I notice is Thomas is listed as a SS per NFL.com as is Berry. Proving my analysis correct this organization loves SS who can play FS.

Which is also why this organization is still looking for one...

Eric Berry isn't a SS that can play FS....to the contrary...

He's a FS that can play SS.....Berry's ideal fit is at FS...where his rarest of traits can be utilized to their fullest extent...which is range, ball skills, instincts, closing speed, burst, etc., etc.....which are all the things that allowed him to play FS his first 2 years for the Vols....which also is what allowed him to be considered argueably the best DB prospect to ever come out of college....

Playing more of a SS role and up close to the LOS as a junior in Monte Kiffin's defense made it easier for teams to avoid Berry.....otherwise he would have built on what was already the most impressive resume for a safety his first 2 years in college...