PDA

View Full Version : The More I Think About It The More Trading Back Makes Sense

3rdandinches
03-31-2010, 05:38 AM
The more we break down players that are potential picks at 12 the more I believe a trade back is going to happen. Dez has way to many question marks and the FO likes their WR's later anyways. Graham doesn't fit their size mold, JPP is only a 1 year wonder, Morgan is better off as a DE in a 43, CJ Spiller is interesting but a compliment player more then a every down guy and quality RB's can be had later. D.Williams and T.Cody would be reaching way to much at 12, Berry will never drop so E.Thomas to me is one of the few that make the most sense (to me atleast) but there's real strong depth at FS in this draft.

So with that said I believe we trade back.....

After trading J.Smiley OG to Seattle for a 4th round pick and T.Thigpen to Buffalo for a 3rd and 5th. Buffalo pays alittle more then value because it's a divisional rival and Gailey's relationship with Tyler.

Draft:

All trades are based on the Trade Value Chart

Trade 1(12) to Houston for 1(20), 2nd and 5th

This is for Houston to jump up and grab CJ.Spiller, their defense was solid but their run game was pathetic. Spiller makes that offense scary good. Other potential suitors could be NYG or Pitts looking to move up for R.McClain.

Trade 1(20) to Dallas for 1(27) and a 3rd

This is so Dallas can grab E.Thomas FS, Dallas doesn't have many holes but FS could be upgraded and grabbing this talented Texas player is a major coup.

1(27)(Dal) T.Cody NT 6'4 349

Cody gives us value here and solidifies one of the most important positions in a 34. Cody is the only true NT in this draft that can make an impact right away. Yes he's a two down player but their crucial in allowing the defense to be played to it's strength, giving M.Nolan flexibility in his blitz calls.

2. J.Hughes OLB 6'2 254 4.59/40

Hughes is a solid prospect at OLB, great on pass downs and has big potential overall. Hughes has all the tools to be a great pass rusher in this league with his rentless motor and solid tackling technique he could develope into a big time SOLB.

2.(Hou) C.Cook CB/FS

Cook has great size and speed 6'2 212 4.43/40, he gives us the flexibility to play CB and FS.

3.(Buf) T.Gibson OLB 6'2 243 4.58/40

Gibson is climbing alot of draft boards, he's a talented player that has loads of potential as a 34 OLB. Personally I think Gibson will be the sleeper of this draft 3/4 years down the road.

3. M.Williams WR 6'1 220 4.49/40

Some of "experts" believe M.Williams is the 2nd best WR in this draft but his off the field issues will hold him back from being drafted on day 1. This is a pick some here believe won't happen because BP stays away from "divas" but I believe our FO knows the locker room is strong and a college "diva" is easier to transform then an established vet. Thus not allowing the FO to pass on the talent Williams brings to the field.

3.(Dal) J.Graham TE 6'6 262 4.56/40

Potential, potential, potential! Great size and speed for this 1 year player who played basketball before trying out football. Graham will eventually bring mismatches on the field but first he needs more fine tuning in all aspects of playing the position.

4.(Sea) B.Spikes ILB 6'3 253 5.0/40

Classic case of staying in school one year to long, Spikes was a potential 1st rounder last year and now because of bad timed speed he drops big time. The one thing is his game speed is greater then his timed speed and that of course is the most important aspect of a football player. Spikes is a thumper that could easily replace Crowder in 2011 if Crowder does not improve in a big way playing beside Dansby. If he falls to the 4th I just can't see how we can pass him up.

4. M.Neal DE 6'3 294 4.86/40

Strong DE that is versitile enough to play inside on passing downs something our CS seems to really like in their DLineman.

5.(Buf) D.Karim RB 5'9 210 4.37/40

This kid is why CJ.Spiller isn't picked in the first, he may not be the same talent but he'll bring the same versitility to our offense and at great value in the 5th.

5.(HOU) M.Easley WR 6'3 210 4.46/40

Great potential in this kid only being a walk on at Connecticut. Great size/speed combo and can push Turner as our future redzone threat. THis FO loves to build competition amongest players to get the best out of them and this is another classic move to do so.

6. OB.Schofield OLB 6'2 221

After looking like a great OLB prospect Schofield tore his ACL in the Senior Bowl. He's a talented player that will obviousily be out for the year but needs time develope anyways. This is a flyer pick that could pay off in the long term.

Everyone else could easily be interchanged with any other names but the point is to add depth and alittle competition for roster spots.

6. B.Carter OG

6. A.Woods NT

7. S.Canfield QB

7. E.Hicks FS

7.(comp) K.Jolly OT

So the bottom line for me is I'm not 100% sold on a single player at 12 so gathering as many picks as possible makes the most sense. We certainly can set ourselves up depth wise for the long term if we hit on a few of the potential players.

DKphin
03-31-2010, 05:51 AM
But who will we trade with? Who is willing to give up what we want? That is the question.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 05:55 AM
Trading back is always the best option but I think we won't be able to do that

Ricky_Fan34
03-31-2010, 06:41 AM
Best I could see is trading back 2 spots to 14 with Seattle.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 06:44 AM
Best I could see is trading back 2 spots to 14 with Seattle.
The only way i can see us trading down a long way is if we do what clevand did last year just trade down a coples spots each time you are up to pick. and if we trade down and Sean Weatherspoon is still on the board i think he would be a great pick

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 07:22 AM
I like your last mock better.

3rdandinches
03-31-2010, 07:33 AM
I like your last mock better.

Why? Is it because of Dez in the first?

I just think with the reluctance of the FO to draft a WR in the early rounds and the more questions about Dez really makes it harder to imagine it ever happening.

M.Williams gives us huge upside with not much risk selecting him in the 3rd.

BARF
03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
if we get a pick for smiley i don't see us trading down

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 07:46 AM

I just think with the reluctance of the FO to draft a WR in the early rounds and the more questions about Dez really makes it harder to imagine it ever happening.

Don't like Cody in the 1st (or 2nd for that matter). I think there will be a dynamic player available at #12. And, I don't see why you'd trade out of that opportunity just to pick up more bodies.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 07:52 AM

I love Mike williams i think he is going to be a very good NFL player IMO he is the 2nd best WR on the field in this years draft if we could i would love to stay at 12 draft Dez and then draft Williams i think that would give us a great WR core and have Bess/ or Hartline as our slot and the other as our fourth and leave Ginn as a plain PR/KR

3rdandinches
03-31-2010, 08:11 AM
I love Mike williams i think he is going to be a very good NFL player IMO he is the 2nd best WR on the field in this years draft if we could i would love to stay at 12 draft Dez and then draft Williams i think that would give us a great WR core and have Bess/ or Hartline as our slot and the other as our fourth and leave Ginn as a plain PR/KR

That certainly would shore up the questions concerning the WR position.

Ozfin77
03-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Trading down has always been my #1 option this draft unless a top 5 guy falls.

Like the way you're thinking. Good job.

d-day
03-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Trading down has always been my #1 option this draft unless a top 5 guy falls.

Like the way you're thinking. Good job.

I agree. But I would only do it after the first 11 picks were made. Just in case someone worthy of the pick slips.

3rdandinches
03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
Don't like Cody in the 1st (or 2nd for that matter). I think there will be a dynamic player available at #12. And, I don't see why you'd trade out of that opportunity just to pick up more bodies.

I'm not looking for more bodies, I'm looking for starters and better depth. The more picks we aquire gives us just that, personally I don't see anyone at 12 that is head and shoulders above a player we could get with a trade back.

Now of course if Berry/Suh or Okung fell then by all means stick around and pick them up. Otherwise the player selected at 12 won't be that much better if at all then the one selected later on, let alone that player selected at 12 could still be there later on.