PDA

View Full Version : Earl Thomas runs 4.35 at his pro day!

TXFinFan
03-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Texas S Earl Thomas reportedly ran a 4.35 forty at the Longhorns' Pro Day on Wednesday.

Thomas ran in the 4.44-4.53 range in Indianapolis, so this is an improvement. ESPN's Todd McShay noted that Thomas "so far has had the biggest day" of any Longhorn. Thomas seems unlikely to fall out of the top-20 picks this April.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

ckparrothead
03-31-2010, 01:03 PM
The thing to keep in mind about Thomas is that Kirwan identified him specifically as one of the guys that he heard from 3 or 4 different personnel guys that don't like him at all. He has his detractors.

SRM
03-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Damn. I'm thinking he is a much better physical specimen than what he played as. He went from 195ish running a 4.4-4.5 to 208 running a 4.35.

And CK, I don't get why his guys wouldn't like him "at all". So he doesn't stuff the run/hit like Berry can. Does that completely overshadow his incredible range on the field?

TXFinFan
03-31-2010, 01:05 PM
The thing to keep in mind about Thomas is that Kirwan identified him specifically as one of the guys that he heard from 3 or 4 different personnel guys that don't like him at all. He has his detractors.

Really? I haven't heard a bad word said about him. Are his detractors just people that think he fits better at corner?

JCfinfan
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM

What are the negatives on Thomas? Mainly his size and tackling? Thanks

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 01:10 PM

yeah...i heard that also...what i have a problem with is the almost cb like physicality that he plays with a lot on tape (and i'm not talking vontae davis like cb)...that and with the ball in the air he just doesn't seem to get physical to me...

maybe a little too much finesse for my taste...i don't know...

charles davis also said that he's asked many teams if they view him as a cb potentially and that to a man they all said ballhawking free safety

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
I think his detractors are stuck in the past and would prefer T. Mays to Thomas.

In other words, I don't give two ****s about them.

ckparrothead
03-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't shoot the messenger. In Kirwan's latest mock which he did after getting done talking to a ton of personnel guys and GMs during the owners meetings in Orlando, he specifically noted that some changes in his fourth mock as opposed to his third were a direct result of hearing the same thing about a guy over and over from 3 or 4 different GMs. He had Earl Thomas falling to Dallas' pick at #27 and specifically noted in the comment on it that Earl has some serious detractors.

I like him. I think the reason some don't like him is because he looks a little smallish on the tape, when he measured in at the Combine there's some thought that he downed a gallon of water in order to weigh heavy, and he's not an overly physical tackler. He's no Sean Smith don't get me wrong. It's just that there's a school of thought that if you're going to be a smaller safety and still be great, you've got to be extremely physical. I myself waver on that one.

I think many teams will really like him, and some teams he just won't be their cup of tea.

krosston
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
His detractors are people who want him to drop to their team.

ckparrothead
03-31-2010, 01:16 PM
yeah...i heard that also...what i have a problem with is the almost cb like physicality that he plays with a lot on tape (and i'm not talking vontae davis like cb)...that and with the ball in the air he just doesn't seem to get physical to me...

charles davis also said that he's asked many teams if they view him as a cb potentially and that to a man they all said ballhawking free safety

And in all fairness the other side of it is that Daniel Jeremiah specifically noted that he has asked the same question and several teams told him they view him as a corner.

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Don't shoot the messenger. In Kirwan's latest mock which he did after getting done talking to a ton of personnel guys and GMs during the owners meetings in Orlando, he specifically noted that some changes in his fourth mock as opposed to his third were a direct result of hearing the same thing about a guy over and over from 3 or 4 different GMs. He had Earl Thomas falling to Dallas' pick at #27 and specifically noted in the comment on it that Earl has some serious detractors.

I like him. I think the reason some don't like him is because he looks a little smallish on the tape, when he measured in at the Combine there's some thought that he downed a gallon of water in order to weigh heavy, and he's not an overly physical tackler. He's no Sean Smith don't get me wrong. It's just that there's a school of thought that if you're going to be a smaller safety and still be great, you've got to be extremely physical. I myself waver on that one.

I think many teams will really like him, and some teams he just won't be their cup of tea.

Have a great deal of respect for your work CK. The harsh tone wasn't intended to be toward you at all. Haven't been impressed with Kirwan's evaluations this off season.

SRM
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Have a great deal of respect for your work CK. The harsh tone wasn't intended to be toward you at all. Haven't been impressed with Kirwan's evaluations this off season.

Yeah same here. Isn't Kirwan the guy that had Dez falling to the Jest, and having us pick Kindle at 12?

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 01:23 PM

I agree that he's not as physical as one would prefer. It's the primary reason I still have Berry rated higher. As far as ball skills and range . . . it's difficult for me to feel confident that one is clearly better than the other, but I usually favor Thomas - very slightly. I also like Berry's long arms. I think he'll be able to get to some high passes that Thomas probably won't. But, Thomas - to me - is one of the four game changers at skill positions in the draft (the others being Berry, Bryant, and Spiller). And, I keep thinking about what Nolan did with E. Reed, and unless the pick is Bryant at #12, I'll be upset with we don't go Berry or Thomas. Of the positions we're really looking at, I see WR and FS as having the biggest drop offs after RD 1.

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 01:24 PM
the gallon of water thing carries weight for me...lol get it???

anyways...i've watched earl thomas tape countless times and there's no way anyone on here can convince me that guy was playing at over 190 lbs...not the guy i saw on tape...he had nickle cb size...

i REALLY believe that he did in fact do something to try and get the weight concerns out of peoples minds prior to the combine...

and i bet as a pro he plays at 195 max...maybe 200 if he can carry it well..

this 208 stuff is for the birds...i don't buy it

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 01:25 PM
And in all fairness the other side of it is that Daniel Jeremiah specifically noted that he has asked the same question and several teams told him they view him as a corner.

duly noted...

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Also, I said that both Thomas and Berry looked like they ran a 4.40 or under at the combine. There was something seriously flawed about their timing methods.

ckparrothead
03-31-2010, 01:29 PM
I think that Thomas may have played at 195 or so. He seems to have his weight hidden pretty well. He's taller than I thought he was so I don't doubt he's also heavier.

JT-forpresident
03-31-2010, 01:34 PM

boy, i wouldn't want to see a "finesse" Safety behind Sean smith...

:foundout:

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 01:39 PM
I think that Thomas may have played at 195 or so. He seems to have his weight hidden pretty well. He's taller than I thought he was so I don't doubt he's also heavier.

Sounds about right. I was worried when I heard he weighed in at 208. But, if we draft Dez at #12, and Thomas does slip into the mid-to-late 20s, I'd seriously consider trading up.

SR 7
03-31-2010, 01:51 PM

the closer we get the more obvious it gets that there really are only a couple players that fit the mold and have what it takes to get drafted by this regime.

1) Bryant
2) Hughes

and thats about it. The "they are close but not quite the mold" are:

1) Thomas
2) Graham
3) Spiller (not the power back this FO likes)

So I think if Bryant isn't there, its Hughes, if he isn't there, i have NO IDEA what so ever what happens next.

TheBow305
03-31-2010, 01:53 PM
He'd be a PERFECT compliment to Yeremiah Bell, plain and simple.

ckparrothead
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Not sure why Brandon Graham wouldn't fit the mold but Jerry Hughes would. Actually, not sure why Earl Thomas wouldn't fit the mold although I do absolutely hear the argument that you don't want to pair an Earl Thomas next to a Sean Smith.

Chubby
03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Not sure why Brandon Graham wouldn't fit the mold but Jerry Hughes would. Actually, not sure why Earl Thomas wouldn't fit the mold although I do absolutely hear the argument that you don't want to pair an Earl Thomas next to a Sean Smith.
Bah if they get away Bell will catch em eventually :)

kwill29
03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
After much consideration I vote that we boycott this draft, because I can't figure out who the hell I want us to take in the 1st round.

Heatking
03-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Sounds about right. I was worried when I heard he weighed in at 208. But, if we draft Dez at #12, and Thomas does slip into the mid-to-late 20s, I'd seriously consider trading up.

that would be a dream come true. Next years first plus this years third for a 15-20 pick.

MadDog 88
03-31-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm with you Kwill. I can't come close to figuring out who they take at 12. SOLB is the most pressing need and I have thought that they would go in that direction but sending a couple of scouts instead of one of the Trifecta to Dez Bryant's work out has me thinking that perhaps that is where they go if he is available and get the SOLB in round 2.

SR 7
03-31-2010, 02:20 PM

Graham I mention because of Height/Arm length...sorry wasn't clear on what I meant by the mold stuff...I mean the WHOLE PACKAGE (only because we have a very high pick in 12). I mentioned Earl because like you said, he is lean, looks small, and somehow put on nearly 13 lbs. This FO likes BIG STRONG Safeties...earl looks like Will Allen at times thats what I meant.

If the FO lets those 2 reasons slide, than all 4 are the top candidates for our 12 spot 100% for us fans to know its one of the 4. But those minor Height/weight mold crap makes it seem like they are but ehhh not 100% there in terms of mold but pretty damn close if not as close as it gets. That's what I meant.

Roman529
03-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Kirwan does a pretty good job with mocks but I think if anyone downgrades Earl Thomas past the middle of the first round they are crazy. Thomas is a good tackler and usually brings the receiver down once he gets his hands on him.

SRM
03-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Graham I mention because of Height/Arm length...sorry wasn't clear on what I meant by the mold stuff...I mean the WHOLE PACKAGE (only because we have a very high pick in 12). I mentioned Earl because like you said, he is lean, looks small, and somehow put on nearly 13 lbs. This FO likes BIG STRONG Safeties...earl looks like Will Allen at times thats what I meant.

If the FO lets those 2 reasons slide, than all 4 are the top candidates for our 12 spot 100% for us fans to know its one of the 4. But those minor Height/weight mold crap makes it seem like they are but ehhh not 100% there in terms of mold but pretty damn close if not as close as it gets. That's what I meant.

Well to be honest, there's not really anyone that fits the mold if people go far enough, which people kinda of are. Graham, like you said isn't tall and his arms are short, Morgan may be more of a 4-3 DE, Thomas isn't physical enough to make up for his size, Dan Williams isn't a machine the machine you want for NT, Dez doesn't appear to have the mental attitude that they like..

I can really go on and on. Sooner or later people need to start looking at the pluses and line them up with the negatives, instead of just saying "Oh, he's not this and this, so the FO is looking the other way"

After the Pat White pick, anything is in play for this FO. Anything.

datruth55
03-31-2010, 03:44 PM
I find it interesting that Brandon Graham's arm length is coming in question but Jeff Owens is being touted as a NT for us.:ponder:

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 03:51 PM
grahams arms actually measured out at 32 1/2 inches i believe at the combine...arm length concern i think has been nixed...

my concern with graham slightly is the lack of height and i wonder if he'll be able to beat nfl level left tackles on a consistent basis...i can see them washing him out a lot...the ones that have good feet...if he's considered a wolb

on the strongside i guess i'd just say other than the height does he have the hips and cod to man the position at a high level...and at a high level it would have to be to warrant the #12 overall pick in this draft as a solb...cause i think he'll do damage vs nfl right tackles as a pass rusher...

footsteps falco
03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
do you guys remember on the finheaven main page there was a link to an article comparing him and berry about a week ago? it was a little confusing to read because of the format, like which parts were about berry and which were about thomas

anyway the point was that one of the criticisms were that he wasnt anything special in man coverage, but i wasn't sure if this was about berry or thomas, because ive heard thomas is excellent in reading and jumping routes, can anyone clarify if thomas or berry was the liability in coverage from that article

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 04:37 PM
i think they may have said in that article that thomas was the better pure coverage player and covers more ground than berry and mike mayock even echoes those sentiments..and i think you'll get that same answer from a lot of people on this board...but that's just not the case for me...

i think that just because berry was asked to play closer to the los this year people are forgetting about how good berry looked in every aspect of playing the deep middle just a season ago...when he had a leading the country 8 ints i believe...

footsteps falco
03-31-2010, 04:41 PM
thank you for clarifying

and i respect your opinion, for me there's no question berry is the best safety in this draft and can do it all, but i've pretty much written him off as a possibility for us

rev kev
03-31-2010, 05:01 PM
grahams arms actually measured out at 32 1/2 inches i believe at the combine...arm length concern i think has been nixed...

my concern with graham slightly is the lack of height and i wonder if he'll be able to beat nfl level left tackles on a consistent basis...i can see them washing him out a lot...the ones that have good feet...if he's considered a wolb

on the strongside i guess i'd just say other than the height does he have the hips and cod to man the position at a high level...and at a high level it would have to be to warrant the #12 overall pick in this draft as a solb...cause i think he'll do damage vs nfl right tackles as a pass rusher...

I like Graham at no.12

Irish Dolphin
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Earl Thomas pulled his hamstring and he ran a 4.37 according to Gill Brandt

LikeUntoGod
03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
He would be the free safety, not the strong safety so at this stage being a strong tackler is not huge for me. Coverage skills, speed, size and being able to improve is.

Still, I think he is one of five good FSs in this draft and we can wait till the 2nd round if we have to. But I do like Thomas.

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 06:39 PM
i read he was 202 today at his workout...6 lbs less than the combine...

finfan54
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
i read he was 202 today at his workout...6 lbs less than the combine...

henceforth the speed diff.

This is called work ethic.

It says, I want to be legit and I will prove it in everything I do especially when it matters.

character. dude just scored more points today and I bet this regime is thinking they might end up losing out on him if other teams wise up.

But I want to chime in on the Berry v Thomas thing.

First, I dont know squat about Berry or even Thomas for that matter other than what most have seen behind a computer or tv screen. It just seems to me that one probably hits bigger than the other and the other covers deep better and has some cover skills. I would be happy with either.

I just wonder what Nolan wants in his safety as a leader/character ect.

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 09:14 PM
henceforth the speed diff.

This is called work ethic.

work ethic to drop 6 lbs of likely water weight that you were carrying around at the combine???

well then bravo indeed... by draft day he'll be 198...

LikeUntoGod
03-31-2010, 09:38 PM
I guess that is how Cody has lost 30-40 pounds, lol.

I still like Thomas, he can cover anyone.

finfanatic13
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_tq6nqCPU

Im on the bandwagon. This kid looks like a STUD and if he's there at 12 I think it's a no-brainer. FS is a huge need and yeah, it could be filled in the later rounds, but if you have an opportunity to nab a prospect of this caliber you have to take him unless someone like Berry falls (not likely). Get your LB in the later rounds. They can be found.

OrlandoFin
04-01-2010, 09:36 AM

CK I agree. Thomas doesn't seem physical enough to me. He seems to play soft and is more of a drag down tackler than and attacking one. You can get by with that at corner, but not at safety.