PDA

View Full Version : Reasons Dez Bryant will be our pick

Playmaker76
03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Reasons Dez Bryant will be be our pick:

1. The Trifecta values talented players with a high passion and love for football more than any other criteria. Dez fits that bill. (So did Vontae and Jake Long).

2. Silence. History has shown us the players we end up drafting are players we don't hear the Fins talking about or spending too much time with before the draft. (See Vontae and Jake Long).

3. If we didn't like him we would be pretending to show serious interest to increase the possibility of teams trading up to get him at #12 (giving us more draft picks) or ahead of us so we get the player we really want.

4. Henne needs and wants a big physical playmaker really bad.

5. Dez fits the prototype receiver the Trifecta likes.

6. The Tuna likes players with chips on their shoulders.

7. This is a very deep defensive draft. There won't be much talent difference this year between a first round and second round defensive pick. There is a huge talent dropoff between Dez and the receiver we might get in the second. (Please don't try to sell me on Demaryius Thomas. He is not as physical and won't be ready to play for at least a year because he has no concept of running a full route tree).

baseballcb95
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
AGREED! I pray that we dont go OLB at 12 as there is NO value or anyone worthy.

TXFinFan
03-31-2010, 04:10 PM
This is actually a very good post. Not bad for #5.

ckparrothead
03-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Excellent post. Agreed on all points.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 04:20 PM
I hope we do i am a huge fan of Dez Bryant's and i think all the bashing on him from the so called draft experts and Media, and fans i think it is going to light a fire under his A$$ and he will have a very good NFL career

Drubatuba
03-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Good points. I still believe we need to concentrate more on defense. But let me ask you this. If we give the first round pick for a WR why not give it to Denver for Marshall. He's proven himself in the NFL. You take a big risk in signing a WR in the first round. Considering it takes 2 to 3 years for a WR to really get used to the NFL if at all. Signing Brandon Marshall just makes more sense to me.

Playmaker76
03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Good points. I still believe we need to concentrate more on defense. But let me ask you this. If we give the first round pick for a WR why not give it to Denver for Marshall. He's proven himself in the NFL. You take a big risk in signing a WR in the first round. Considering it takes 2 to 3 years for a WR to really get used to the NFL if at all. Signing Brandon Marshall just makes more sense to me.

Excellent question and point. IMO its because Brandon Marshall committed the biggest No-No in Parcells' book. That No-No is that he completely disrespected the organization he played for. He rebelled, embarrased, and showed no respect for everyone in the organization from the owner to the coaching staff with his acts of defiance. When you consider his criminal history (hitting his girlfriend multiple times) and the fact he was a grown man while committing these acts, it puts to shame the nitpicking that people are trying to put on 20 year old Dez Bryant.

On top of that you would have to pay him $10 million per year with about $30 million guaranteed.

rev kev
03-31-2010, 04:53 PM
I would support the pick but I don't see him lasting that long and I am pretty sure we won't trade up but rather let the draft fall to us..., like 3rdinches is prosletysing...

JERSEYFINFAN23
03-31-2010, 04:54 PM
i love the idea of drafting Dez if he is there at 12.
All valid points about them not talking about who they draft.

RUDEbyallMEANS
03-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Dez said something to the tune of "without football I would die"... If that's not a WR Parcells/Ireland would select with a first rounder, then this team is destined for low round WR's that want to prove themselves... and that's about the only types.

finfan54
03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
who wants to bet some money?

TheBow305
03-31-2010, 07:26 PM
I couldn't agree more. Nice work here man.

Phin-Phan 66
04-01-2010, 12:31 AM
I would bet $$ he will not be our pick.

General Tso
04-01-2010, 12:59 AM
I think he will be there at #12 and we will pass. Just like we've done with every other 1st round pick I've wanted since 1997...

2009 - Wanted Maualuga or Nicks, got Davis
2008 - Wanted Chris Long, got Jake (whew...)
2007 - Wanted Quinn or Willis, got Ginn
2006 - Wanted Manny Lawson, got J. Allen
2005 - Wanted Aaron Rodgers, got R. Brown (Brown was my #2 option)
2004 - Wanted Wilfork, got V. Carey (Carey was my #2 option)
2001 - Wanted Brees or Quincy Morgan, got J. Fletcher
1998 - Wanted Moss (though never dreamed he'd fall to our original pick), got pre-Moss free fall trade down for Avery and later a "better than Moss" Larry Shannon
1997 - Wanted and got Yatil Green (o, what coulda and shoulda been)
1996 - Wanted Ray Lewis, got Daryl Gardener (and later that Z. Thomas fella... who turned out ok)

j-off-her-doll
04-01-2010, 01:02 AM
One of three players I'm looking at for the #12 pick.

bdhock
04-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Good post. when the draft process started i thought no way for D Bryant to many red flags. But after thinking a while, people thought Vontae Davis had character issues, I will admit I was one of them people .the pick surprised me. Dez does seem competitive, durable and physically what Parcells likes. I am slowly coming around to Dez Bryant.

209Mason
04-01-2010, 08:06 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-draft-dezsdiary&prov=ap&type=lgns

“I’m not the type of person that will try to confront somebody but now I feel like it’s gone too far. It’s gone too far,” Bryant said in an interview with The Associated Press. “I ain’t never got in trouble with nobody. I never said anything. I don’t say anything wrong to nobody. I’m friendly. This here is too far.

“What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don’t think it has anything to do with me playing football.”

Bryant questions why he has faced such a flurry of rumors following his college career, which came to an early conclusion just three games into his junior season. He had 87 receptions for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns and also returned two punts for scores in 2008.

He was the only 2008 Biletnikoff Award finalist to return to school last season and entered the season as the top receiver in college. But most of the scrutiny Bryant has been facing has dealt with everything but his playing ability.

“What is this? Y’all don’t want me to go to the NFL or something? It’s going to happen,” Bryant said. “It is going to happen. God blessed me to have this ability to play this game.

“I haven’t did anything wrong to nobody.”

No one can doubt his ability... I'm just a tad worried we've got another diva in the making though. I mean, he's already coming out and complaining about getting scrutinized and the guy hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. Be humble kid, and when you do make it to the NFL and prove yourself, then worry about the scrutiny.

enduro
04-01-2010, 08:26 AM

1. The Trifecta values talented players with a high passion and love for football more than any other criteria. Dez fits that bill. (So did Vontae and Jake Long).

2. Silence. History has shown us the players we end up drafting are players we don't hear the Fins talking about or spending too much time with before the draft. (See Vontae and Jake Long).

3. If we didn't like him we would be pretending to show serious interest to increase the possibility of teams trading up to get him at #12 (giving us more draft picks) or ahead of us so we get the player we really want.

7. This is a very deep defensive draft. There won't be much talent difference this year between a first round and second round defensive pick. There is a huge talent dropoff between Dez and the receiver we might get in the second. (Please don't try to sell me on Demaryius Thomas. He is not as physical and won't be ready to play for at least a year because he has no concept of running a full route tree).

if you look at the top 30 players according to the nflpost : http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-NFP-Super-30-5326.html

1. DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska (6-4, 302)
Potential blue-chip defensive tackles are tough to come by, and Suh grades out as this yearís best player.
2. DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma (6-4, 298)
McCoy has the ability to consistently beat blocks vs. both the run and pass game and is one of the few instant impact-caliber defenders in this yearís draft.
3. S Eric Berry, Tennessee (5-11, 203)
One of the most instinctive safeties to come along in years; looks like a real ball-hawk type of defensive back at the next level.
4. C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida (6-5, 304)
Exhibits a unique combination of power and fluidity for his size and is capable of starting from day one and becoming one of the premier players at this position in the NFL.
5. ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama (6-4, 256)
Possesses an impressive athletic skill set for the position and has the ability to instantly contribute in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme.
6. TE Aaron Hernandez, Florida (6-2, 250)
A potential dynamic threat in the pass game at the next level in the Dallas Clark-type mold.
7. OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State (6-5, 302)
Looks effortless in pass protection, plays with great length and is the draftís most NFL-ready left tackle.
8. RB Jahvid Best, California (5-10, 199)
The one guy everyone seems to have forgotten because of concussion issues. But heís a big-play threat every time he touches the ball and is a much better runner between the tackles than given credit for.
9. OG Mike Iupati, Idaho (6-5, 330)
Makes everything look so easy inside. Possesses an impressive blend of size, power and fluidity for the position and looks like one of the better offensive guard prospects to come along in years.
10. RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson (5-11, 195)
A similar prospect to Calís Jahvid Best, but he seems to be getting more attention because of a possible East Coast bias. Looks like a Felix Jones-type back at the next level.
11. WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (6-2, 220)
Bryant isnít a 4.6 guy on tape -- like he ran Tuesday at this pro day -- and straight-line speed isnít the concern I have with him. Itís his work rate and preparation. How hard did he really train for his pro day, and is he willing to put in the work needed to be great in the NFL? Those are questions I have.
12. QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma (6-4, 236)
He was absolutely brilliant at his pro day this week, displaying the accuracy, arm strength and frame to project as a potential franchise quarterback.
13. OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa (6-6, 312)
Never quite regained his form from 2008, but he now looks healthy and is certainly capable of anchoring the left side of an NFL offensive line for years.
14. DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech (6-3, 266)
Possesses the tools to get after the quarterback in a variety of ways off the edge and looks like an ideal fit as an every-down defensive end in a 4-3 scheme.

i see the following players available at pick #12

TE Aaron Hernandez, Florida (6-2, 250) ..............no, not this high
RB Jahvid Best, California (5-10, 199).................no, not this high
OG Mike Iupati, Idaho (6-5, 330)...........maybe with trade of smiley
RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson (5-11, 195)...................maybe
WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (6-2, 220).........maybe
DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech (6-3, 266).........maybe

so by the bpa method with a hint of need it will be Iupati, spiller, bryant or derrick morgan at pick #12

3rdandinches
04-01-2010, 08:31 AM
if you look at the top 30 players according to the nflpost : http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-NFP-Super-30-5326.html

1. DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska (6-4, 302)
Potential blue-chip defensive tackles are tough to come by, and Suh grades out as this yearís best player.
2. DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma (6-4, 298)
McCoy has the ability to consistently beat blocks vs. both the run and pass game and is one of the few instant impact-caliber defenders in this yearís draft.
3. S Eric Berry, Tennessee (5-11, 203)
One of the most instinctive safeties to come along in years; looks like a real ball-hawk type of defensive back at the next level.
4. C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida (6-5, 304)
Exhibits a unique combination of power and fluidity for his size and is capable of starting from day one and becoming one of the premier players at this position in the NFL.
5. ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama (6-4, 256)
Possesses an impressive athletic skill set for the position and has the ability to instantly contribute in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme.
6. TE Aaron Hernandez, Florida (6-2, 250)
A potential dynamic threat in the pass game at the next level in the Dallas Clark-type mold.
7. OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State (6-5, 302)
Looks effortless in pass protection, plays with great length and is the draftís most NFL-ready left tackle.
8. RB Jahvid Best, California (5-10, 199)
The one guy everyone seems to have forgotten because of concussion issues. But heís a big-play threat every time he touches the ball and is a much better runner between the tackles than given credit for.
9. OG Mike Iupati, Idaho (6-5, 330)
Makes everything look so easy inside. Possesses an impressive blend of size, power and fluidity for the position and looks like one of the better offensive guard prospects to come along in years.
10. RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson (5-11, 195)
A similar prospect to Calís Jahvid Best, but he seems to be getting more attention because of a possible East Coast bias. Looks like a Felix Jones-type back at the next level.
11. WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (6-2, 220)
Bryant isnít a 4.6 guy on tape -- like he ran Tuesday at this pro day -- and straight-line speed isnít the concern I have with him. Itís his work rate and preparation. How hard did he really train for his pro day, and is he willing to put in the work needed to be great in the NFL? Those are questions I have.
12. QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma (6-4, 236)
He was absolutely brilliant at his pro day this week, displaying the accuracy, arm strength and frame to project as a potential franchise quarterback.
13. OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa (6-6, 312)
Never quite regained his form from 2008, but he now looks healthy and is certainly capable of anchoring the left side of an NFL offensive line for years.
14. DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech (6-3, 266)
Possesses the tools to get after the quarterback in a variety of ways off the edge and looks like an ideal fit as an every-down defensive end in a 4-3 scheme.

i see the following players available at pick #12

TE Aaron Hernandez, Florida (6-2, 250) ..............no, not this high
RB Jahvid Best, California (5-10, 199).................no, not this high
OG Mike Iupati, Idaho (6-5, 330)...........maybe with trade of smiley
RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson (5-11, 195)...................maybe
WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (6-2, 220).........maybe
DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech (6-3, 266).........maybe

so by the bpa method with a hint of need it will be Iupati, spiller, bryant or derrick morgan at pick #12

According to that list we would be foolish to pass on Pouncy OC when he's available at 12, lol!!!

enduro
04-01-2010, 08:39 AM
According to that list we would be foolish to pass on Pouncy OC when he's available at 12,

wrong. pouncy will be gone by #12. Is this shocking to you? maybe the raiders or bronco's

datruth55
04-01-2010, 08:42 AM
According to that list we would be foolish to pass on Pouncy OC when he's available at 12,

wrong. pouncy will be gone by #12. Is this shocking to you? maybe the raiders or bronco's
A center gone before 12?....don't think so.

3rdandinches
04-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Yes very shocking!!!

I would welcome some crazy team to draft him ahead of us so an actual top ten player drops in our lap. Pouncy is a real good prospect at center but probably not going top 20 and might not even go 1st round. Indy may not let him get by after dumping R.Lilja and they pick 31st!

gdiaz0358
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
damn you make good points...the more i think about it the more i realize the top OLBs are Graham and Huges, both of which dont fit BP's "mold" of OLB. I doubt he takes Kindle and D.Morgan is only rumored to be able to play 3-4. Earl Thomas is a possibility but there are also very good FS in rd 2. This might be all part of BP's plan to take Bryant...oh well we will know in 21 days!

MadDog 88
04-01-2010, 11:38 AM
As the draft gets closer, I am starting to feel a little more comfortable if they go with Dez. All your points are valid. Nice post.

ckparrothead
04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Speaking to point #2, Omar Kelly recently pointed out that the Dolphins have never drafted any player that they brought in for a private visit, except for the locals.

Meaning, the NFL allows teams to bring in I think 25 private, non-local visits. But, players that are considered local, they're allowed to come for a visit and not be limited to the 25 visit rule. The Dolphins have drafted locals but never have they drafted anyone that came for a private visit.

Not good news if you're an Earl Thomas, Derrick Morgan or Rolando McClain fan.

Elliott 1
04-01-2010, 12:25 PM

What a joke. These statements are meaningless and generic. These same things can be said of lots of prospects.

Everything you mention as a reason to draft Dez is just as much, or rather more so, a reason to draft Terrell Hudgins in the 6th instead of spending the 12th pick of the draft on a guy with ?'s.

1.) Hudgins has more respect and passion than Dez. One of the things scouts complained about Dez was how disinterested he seemed.

2.) Dolphins haven't spoken to Hudgins either.

3.) It isn't draft day yet. That strategy may yet manifest, but if it doesn't, it speculative anyway.

4.) Hudgins is a bigger more physical player than Dez and he made far more plays in his college career than Dez.

5.) Hudgins fits the prototype of Trifecta WR's more because he is bigger and he bears none of the concerns that Dez does.

6.) Dez brought his problems on himself, he deserves the hassle he is getting from the media. Hudgins, on the other hand, has done nothing but have an absolutely stellar career, breaking almost every record possible for him to break, and he is being ignored and disrespected.

7.) Huge dsrop off??????? Hoooey! Hudgins in the 6th is a huge value pick and without risk. The smart move is to draft a reliable player in the 1st round.

The 2011 draft and FA crop for WR's could be the best ever. Thats right, the best ever, depending on how many of the elite WR's in the NFL who are eligible for FA get new contracts from their current teams.

Spending a 1st this year on a guy with Dez's issues just isn't wise. If we miss in the later rounds this year, next year holds great promise for finding an elite WR.

I would rather trade up or down or take at least 4 different guys than to draft Dez.

hooshoops
04-01-2010, 12:27 PM
now that's interesting indeed ck...

MadDog 88
04-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Elliott, I have to wonder why he is a 6th round prospect if he is that much better then Dez?

hooshoops
04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
hudgins over dez is a joke...

Elliott 1
04-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Elliott, I have to wonder why he is a 6th round prospect if he is that much better then Dez?

Small school, low competion level, slow out of his cuts and breaks.

I said he was a better value. I didn't say he was a better WR than Dez.

finner
04-01-2010, 01:53 PM
The smart move is to draft a reliable player in the 1st round.

That IMO is the real question with Dez being selected by this regime. They do tend to play it safe IMO (as in Long vs Ryan). Of course it's wise to know EXACTLY what you're getting at #12. And we all know the WR position is very difficult to project -- and that is only compounded by a guy with "questions" about intelligence and/or reasonable judgment.

Perhaps the rumors about Dez are just smoke? Either way you can be guaranteed we're investigating this dude behind the scenes very aggressively. So if we take him, we'll have to be 100% sold on his athletic / playmaking superiority AND his "character" in general...

It certainly would be an EXCITING pick!

rev kev
04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
now that's interesting indeed ck...

Shh.........

X-Pacolypse
04-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Speaking to point #2, Omar Kelly recently pointed out that the Dolphins have never drafted any player that they brought in for a private visit, except for the locals.

Meaning, the NFL allows teams to bring in I think 25 private, non-local visits. But, players that are considered local, they're allowed to come for a visit and not be limited to the 25 visit rule. The Dolphins have drafted locals but never have they drafted anyone that came for a private visit.

Not good news if you're an Earl Thomas, Derrick Morgan or Rolando McClain fan.

Didn't they bring in Sean Smith for a private workout?

MadDog 88
04-02-2010, 12:23 AM

Not good news if you're an Earl Thomas, Derrick Morgan or Rolando McClain fan.You can add Dez Bryant to that list after last nights meeting.

TedSlimmJr
04-02-2010, 12:38 AM
You can add Dez Bryant to that list after last nights meeting.

Oops..

Looks like we're basically down to Tim Tebow and Jonathan Dwyer...

Mr. Magoo
04-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Yeah, but he also says in the story that the Dolphins met with Patrick Turner and Brian Hartline the same way last year.

Doesn't specify what that way was, though. The story doesn't say, for instance, the meeting was at the practice facility on an official visit. It could have been in Lufkin. There are no limits in the number of times you can meet with a player at his house.

Very confusing.

Smacks of confidential information he's withholding because he said he would that is necessary to clear up the confusion.

seltzer37
04-02-2010, 01:27 AM
I agree with both of your views, so I am just going to trust the FO to make the decision for the team. It do take Rec 2-3 Years to adjust the NFL so if you are thinking like that give the pick to Denver for Marshall. Are stay with the 12th pick to see who falls to us Like Berry or Bryant only because he's younger that Marshall and you can mold Bryant into what you want Marshall is a Old Dog which I don't think you can taech him new tricks.

MadDog 88
04-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Yeah, but he also says in the story that the Dolphins met with Patrick Turner and Brian Hartline the same way last year.

Doesn't specify what that way was, though. The story doesn't say, for instance, the meeting was at the practice facility on an official visit. It could have been in Lufkin. There are no limits in the number of times you can meet with a player at his house.

Very confusing.

Smacks of confidential information he's withholding because he said he would that is necessary to clear up the confusion.It is confusing but they did not meet with either Jake or Vontae so this would be the first time they would meet with a first rounder if they selected him.

Like Spiller, this may very well be a signal to someone in hopes of a trade down.

Mr. Magoo
04-02-2010, 01:46 AM
It is confusing but they did not meet with either Jake or Vontae so this would be the first time they would meet with a first rounder if they selected him.

Like Spiller, this may very well be a signal to someone in hopes of a trade down.

But "meet" is very vague. The story doesn't say Dez came in for an official visit. It just says he met with Dolphins personnel. Or, to be precise, "league sources" say he's going to meet with Dolphins personnel, including Bill Parcells. But "meeting" can mean a lot of different things happening at a lot of different places.

I know for a fact, for example, that Sparano met with both Jake Long and Chad Henne before the draft two years ago. It just wasn't an official visit. He said in an interview he went to their apartment (or house, whatever) in Ann Arbor. He even talked about Henne's leadership skills were evident because he was so clearly the leader of the guys who lived there.

Omar's word choices in this story are very vague, and I think on purpose. I wonder what the real story was.

Ozfin77
04-02-2010, 01:51 AM
The point about having a guy to take him by the ear, drag him over to practice and say "this is how we kick it son...now get to work" is a great point....shame we dont have that "someone".

The combination of his attitude, irresponsibilty, agent and friends is a ticking timebomb waiting to explode.....I just hope it's not in our faces.