PDA

View Full Version : C.J. Spiller is a soft running back?

DKphin
03-31-2010, 04:40 PM
There's been so many rumors about who the Miami Dolphins will take with the 12th pick in the draft. NFL draft expert Tony Pauline of SI.com is convinced one of those players should be scratched form the list. "I find it very difficult that Bill Parcells would be interested in [Clemson RB] C.J. Spiller when he watches him on tape," Pauline said on today's show. "For all his great athletic ability and for all his game-breaking skills, when you watch him over the last three years, he's a very soft running back.
"He's not a guy that I think is going to be a featured back at the next level. He's a running back that goes down very easily at the point of attack by the first defender. He's a guy who finishes plays by running out of bounds rather than keeping it in bounds and trying to get that extra yardage. I just don't know that he warrants that early a pick. I just don't think that Spiller is a Parcells-type player."
Pauline also made it clear who he would take if he were the Dolphins and Tennessee defensive tackle Dan Williams and Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant were available with the No. 12 pick.
"[Williams] is the exact opposite of Dez Bryant," he said. "He's a guy who's got it all together. He's a guy who goes very hard. He makes football a priority on and off the field. Coming into the season, Dan Williams was not even rated as a draftable player by NFL scouting services. He was considered a street free agent and look where he is now, which tells you how he's elevated his game
"If you're looking for a big [guy] in the middle that's going to occupy blockers and create opportunities for the other defensive linemen and outside linebackers . . . he's not a guy who's going to make a lot of tackles or get a lot of penetration on the field. But if you're looking for someone to occupy a lot of space and push that pocket up the field, then Dan Williams is your guy. When you compare him to somebody like Dez Bryant . . . I don't know that he has as much upside as Bryant, but then again, I think, he's more of a sure thing compared to Bryant. He's the safer pick."
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dolphins/joerose/2010/03/cj_spiller_is_a_soft_running_b.html

TXFinFan
03-31-2010, 04:44 PM
I wonder how much longer it will be until people realize that Jeff Ireland is in charge, and has shown that he will most definitely stray from the original Parcells formula?

rev kev
03-31-2010, 04:48 PM
I wonder how much longer it will be until people realize that Jeff Ireland is in charge, and has shown that he will most definitely stray from the original Parcells formula?

I'm not saying you are wrong but you sure as heck cannot back up that statement

TedSlimmJr
03-31-2010, 04:52 PM
He's not "soft".....he's just not an effective 3 yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust-between-the-tackles-type-back....I've tried to get that point across as well when we first started discussing Spiller here and his comparison to Dexter McCluster...

Spiller runs out of bounds because that's usually where he's at.....he's gotten the edge on the defense and either he outruns the angle or goes out...

I can find a bunch of backs in every draft that can get me 3 yards up the middle....5th, 6th, 7th round....easy...

Sounds like whoever wrote this article needs to watch some more of Spiller....breaking tackles (Maryland) and lowering his head right before he goes out of bounds and jumps up beating his chest after delivering the lick.....

He's not as tough a runner as Jahvid Best though for their comparable size....Best finishes his runs more consistently..

TXFinFan
03-31-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm not saying you are wrong but you sure as heck cannot back up that statement

Pat White

SRM
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Just because he runs around people doesn't mean he's soft. Have people not seen the play where he shrugged off three guys at once and ran it in for a TD?

Orlando Fan
04-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Franco Harris made a living off of running out of bounds,to avoid the big hit. He played it smart, better to give the lick than to let the LB have the lick on you. Plus playing smart like that extends your playing career.........

I dont call that soft, I call that smart football and knowing where you are on the field.