PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Casserly says Earl Thomas is better than Sean Taylor & Laundry

FinAtic8480
03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Former Texans GM Charlie Casserly just said he likes Texas FS Earl Thomas better than Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry when they came out.

www.twitter.com/OmarKelly

As much as I would love Spiller or Bryant the more I hear on this kid the more I like him. The more I think he is best pick to defend a pass happy league.

#1dolphinsfan
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
I wouldnt mind us drafting him if berry, and Bryant are off the board

SRM
03-31-2010, 06:55 PM
BS. Sean Taylor was the man.

JT-forpresident
03-31-2010, 06:55 PM
say whaaaaaaaaa ?

Taylor
Thomas
Landry

that's more like it... and taylor is/was way ahead of those two guys

FinAtic8480
03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Thomas tweaked a hammy at his pro day according to the guys at UniversalDraft.com

TheBow305
03-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Sean Taylor is/was the best Safety prospect EVER. Better than Berry, better than anyone. He may go down as the best safety prospect ever. His blend of size, speed, playmaking, tackling and swagger are the best we will ever see IMO.

It's straight blasphemy for Casserley to say this. I like Thomas, but no.

FinAtic8480
03-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Sean Taylor is/was the best Safety prospect EVER. Better than Berry, better than anyone. He may go down as the best safety prospect ever. His blend of size, speed, playmaking, tackling and swagger are the best we will ever see IMO.

It's straight blasphemy for Casserley to say this. I like Thomas, but no.

Guys I loved Sean Taylor, but you guys sound like a bunch of Canes fans,lol

Clipse
03-31-2010, 07:30 PM
:rolleyes2: What a ****ing idiot really. Taylor was one of the best DB prospects of all time. Thomas isn't half the prospect Berry is, so I wonder what he considers Berry?

JT-forpresident
03-31-2010, 07:32 PM

well i wouldn't say that he was the best safety EVER

there's a lot of guys i didn't have the chance to see play, like ronnie lott for example... and there are actual safeties that are pretty much in the same class that taylor was ( polamalu and reed )

but to say a rookie who didn't play a snap in the nfl is better than sean taylor, jesus you gotta smoke some good buddah to say that :lol:

Clipse
03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
well i wouldn't say that he was the best safety EVER

there's a lot of guys i didn't have the chance to see play, like ronnie lott for example... and there are actual safeties that are pretty much in the same class that taylor was ( polamalu and reed )

but to say a rookie who didn't play a snap in the nfl is better than sean taylor, jesus you gotta smoke some good buddah to say that :lol:
What he was saying is he likes Earl Thomas the prospect better than Sean Taylor the prospect, which is just ridiculous considering there are very, very few who were better DB prospects than he was, and Earl Thomas isn't even close to him.

Pinkboy
03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
hmm.. Casserly and Parcells are very close friends.

It was Casserly who first came out and said Parcells told him he would select Pat White with their 1st second round pick - right after the JT trade to Washington he told him this.

Maybe Parcells is as high on Thomas as Casserly seems to be... and maybe Parcells whispered some good things in his ear about the kid.

Phinatic8u
03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
What he was saying is he likes Earl Thomas the prospect better than Sean Taylor the prospect, which is just ridiculous considering there are very, very few who were better DB prospects than he was, and Earl Thomas isn't even close to him.

Earl Thomas is a BEAST!. Berry is a bigger beast, But Sean Taylor is one of the best DB prospects ever. This guys a idiot lol

Pinkboy
03-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Eric Berry = Ronnie Lott

Earl Thomas = Troy Polamalu

SRM
03-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Eric Berry = Ronnie Lott

And Sean Taylor = Sean Taylor. He's in his own class that no one can be a part of.

I just can't believe this guy thinks that Thomas is a better prospect. Get real. I like Thomas and I'd love for us to get him, but even HE knows he isn't up there. Not yet anyways, and probably not ever.

FINishedPerfect
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
I want a Sean Taylor Hurricanes jersey.

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 09:04 PM
and the cane fans on this board SEVERELY overrate sean taylor as a pro safety...i mean severely

eric berry is a better overall prospect than sean taylor was...

malzacher
03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Imo no one on this planet right now is better than Sean taylor. Sean taylor is a freak of nature. Great Instincts, big, fast, physical. His athletic ability was so superior to anyone else I have ever seen. Ed reed is the next best, Polumalu and then laundry. I am a Cane fan and I did play against taylor in High school. That guy was a special player. I dont think we will ever see a safety as good as he was. The Canes have a player with the name of Ray Ray Armstrong who if he gets his stuff together, could be another great safety. Homer yes. To say otherwise would be Blasphemy. I cried when Sean was murderd, there were more tears shed over him then when my aunt died. My brother owns an authentic Miami Hurricane number 26 Sean Taylor jersey and that will always be in my Family forever. Eric Berry is awesome and I would love for him to be a Dolphin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-PG04d4-sI Eric Berry in college

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ru2603cYw Sean taylor

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
i think sean taylor was a heck of a prospect but i don't think he was an elite cover guy in the pros and i think he head hunted too much and as a result missed some plays that with his athleticism and speed he should have made...went for the big shot a little too much

and i don't think he showed the hips and cod quite of an eric berry... i'm also not sure that he had the ball awareness and instincts of berry...

now i've also seen eric berry head hunt at the college level and come up empty but i still think as an all around safety eric berry is the better pro prospect...

i also think that eric berry is the best pro safety prospect to come out in the last maybe 10 years...

newlownorder
03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Dirty Laundry maybe but not way he's better than clean laundry.

bigchub22
03-31-2010, 09:46 PM
and the cane fans on this board SEVERELY overrate sean taylor as a pro safety...i mean severely

Thank you...it was getting a little out of hand

HybridPHIN 23
03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Eric BErry isnt even as good as Taylor

jbyrd423
03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
This is coming from an fsu fan here so its competely unbias...

Sean Taylor was the best safety prospect in as long as I can remember. He truly was a man amongst boys in college. He'd lay your wr/rbs *** out, then pick off your qb the next play and take it to the house. He was seriously on another level and he was really starting to put it together in the nfl when he passed(rip). He woulda been one of if not the best safety ever in my opinion

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Sean Taylor was never a great pro, so stick your prospect talk up you ***. Just means everyone overrated him coming out of college.

WaxOn WaxOff
03-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Eric Berry = Ronnie Lott

Eric Berry = Ronnie Lott

Earl Thomas = Ken Easley

(As both came out in the same draft)

JCane
03-31-2010, 11:10 PM

:bobdole:

jbyrd423
03-31-2010, 11:52 PM
Sean Taylor was never a great pro, so stick your prospect talk up you ***. Just means everyone overrated him coming out of college.

hahaha...dude he was still young and he was becoming great. in college he was THE BEST..and last time i checked "prospect" and "player" were 2 different things. no one overrated him out of college, you obviously didnt watch him in college

DcRy82
04-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Ed Reed was better than Taylor coming out of college. Taylor was a bigger hitter but Reeds ball skills were insane. He touches the ball and it's 6 points.

SRM
04-01-2010, 12:14 AM

Wow, you're on some crack if you think he wasn't a great pro.

Sean wasn't the best ever but damn was he on his way there. He was in what, his 3rd-4th year when he passed? By then he was already dominating, and was considered to be up there with Reed, Polamalu, Sanders, Dawkins, etc.

JT-forpresident
04-01-2010, 12:20 AM

:ponder:

12 interceptions, 34 passes defended, 8 forced fumbles, 299 combined tackles, 2 sacks and 2 pro bowls in ... 4 seasons

http://www.nfl.com/players/seantaylor/profile?id=TAY696860

p.s. there's unfortunately no stats for the number of lethal hits he delivered through those seasons, or for that matter there's also no stat for the number of times he made an opponent **** his pants when staring at him

he wasn't a great pro ? :bobdole:

get real

JT-forpresident
04-01-2010, 12:23 AM
btw, wherever you are m.taylor, happy 27th birthday, and may you rest in peace...

SRM
04-01-2010, 12:23 AM

12 interceptions, 34 passes defended, 8 forced fumbles, 299 combined tackles, 2 sacks and 2 pro bowls in ... 4 seasons

p.s. there's unfortunately no stats for the number of lethal hits he delivered through those seasons, or for that matter there's also no stat for the number of times he made an opponent **** his pants when staring at him

get real

What are you talking about? You put the number right there. 299 lethal hits :up:

FINS4LIFE16
04-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Sean Taylor really was something to behold at the U. I wish he was posing at the pro-bowl with all the other former Hurricanes in 2010.

What are you talking about? You put the number right there. 299 lethal hits :up:

lol

j-off-her-doll
04-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Wow, you're on some crack if you think he wasn't a great pro.

Sean wasn't the best ever but damn was he on his way there. He was in what, his 3rd-4th year when he passed? By then he was already dominating, and was considered to be up there with Reed, Polamalu, Sanders, Dawkins, etc.

By Canes fans?

He was a great athlete, and he hit hard. He never lived up to his top-10 draft status.

j-off-her-doll
04-01-2010, 12:59 AM

get real

That's 3 picks a year. He was good. He wasn't great. Take your duck head off.

SRM
04-01-2010, 01:29 AM
That's 3 picks a year. He was good. He wasn't great. Take your duck head off.

Man whatever you say. You have your opinion and we have ours. And obviously neither of them are going to change.

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 01:41 AM
I wish I could find the clip of Sean Taylor where he wanted absolutely NO PART of Steven Jackson in the open field....

Canes fans will constantly berrate people over the head with all this "greatest of all time ****"....he wasn't...nor even close to it....not as a prospect or pro...

Ed Reed was the better college player.....and the better pro...

You can't be the greatest safety prospect ever (or even close to it) when all you can lock out is 11 reps on the bench...

As far as flat out being a "freakish" athlete and prospect, he can't even sniff Taylor Mays.....ability to play safety aside, of course...

jbyrd423
04-01-2010, 02:13 AM
I wish I could find the clip of Sean Taylor where he wanted absolutely NO PART of Steven Jackson in the open field....

Canes fans will constantly berrate people over the head with all this "greatest of all time ****"....he wasn't...nor even close to it....not as a prospect or pro...

You can't be the greatest safety prospect ever (or even close to it) when all you can lock out is 11 reps on the bench...

As far as flat out being a "freakish" athlete and prospect, he can't even sniff Taylor Mays.....ability to play safety aside, of course...

Im sorry but your just plain wrong and probably never watched Sean in college. To even bring Taylor Mays into this and say hes a better athlete and prospect is HILARIOUS. Taylor Mays looks good running in a straight line and thats about it. If his football skills were anywhere close to a Sean Taylors/Eric Berrys/Earl Thomas he would be slated to go in the top ten of the draft. But the truth is Taylor Mays cant cover for crap, cant run anything but in a straightline and has no balls skills. He had 5 picks in his entire college career lol.

Sean Taylor was a moster in college, I dont care if he put up 1 rep in the bench. The bench doesnt mean a damn thing. Sean Taylor had 10 INTERCEPTIONS IN HIS LAST YEAR OF COLLEGE. He returned 3 of those picks for TD's that year and had 2 picks when UM played Pitt and also held Larry Fitzgerald to something like 1 catch. Oh yea, and he was 6'3/6'4 and made wrs crap their pants when they even looked at him. He could hit, run, cover, had ball skills...he had it all and if his life wouldnt have been taken he wouldve emerged into one of the best safeties in the league, cause he was already pretty much there after only playing a few years.

And again, Im an FSU fan, so Im not some UM homer

ROADRUNNER
04-01-2010, 02:41 AM
only thing im going to say is lets just draft the kid............

BARF
04-01-2010, 03:05 AM
ST was in a league of his own no if ands or buts

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Im sorry but your just plain wrong and probably never watched Sean in college. To even bring Taylor Mays into this and say hes a better athlete and prospect is HILARIOUS. Taylor Mays looks good running in a straight line and thats about it. If his football skills were anywhere close to a Sean Taylors/Eric Berrys/Earl Thomas he would be slated to go in the top ten of the draft. But the truth is Taylor Mays cant cover for crap, cant run anything but in a straightline and has no balls skills. He had 5 picks in his entire college career lol.

Sean Taylor was a moster in college, I dont care if he put up 1 rep in the bench. The bench doesnt mean a damn thing. Sean Taylor had 10 INTERCEPTIONS IN HIS LAST YEAR OF COLLEGE. He returned 3 of those picks for TD's that year and had 2 picks when UM played Pitt and also held Larry Fitzgerald to something like 1 catch. Oh yea, and he was 6'3/6'4 and made wrs crap their pants when they even looked at him. He could hit, run, cover, had ball skills...he had it all and if his life wouldnt have been taken he wouldve emerged into one of the best safeties in the league, cause he was already pretty much there after only playing a few years.

And again, Im an FSU fan, so Im not some UM homer

Actually, I watched him play a lot...

Hell, son I was watching college football and studying the draft when you were still pooping in your FSU diapers...

Sean Taylor isn't even the best safety prospect from the University of Miami.....I'm old enough to remember watching guys like Darryl Williams and Bennie Blades play for Miami....nevermind Ed Reed...who left with ALL the career records from Miami..

That school record for INT's......Taylor shares that record with Bennie...who went #3 overall in the draft...

Bench press reps, 40 times, shuttles, splits, etc.....it ALL matters when you're talking PROSPECT...THAT'S WHY THEY DO IT....

Sean Taylor wasn't the fastest safety prospect....wasn't the best ball hawk...and he wasn't even the best safety prospect that's come out of his own school..... ...therefore he CANNOT be the "greatest of all time"......clowns..

He wasn't even that good of an NFL safety until not long before his passing.....it's just convenient to talk him now into something that he wasn't...

Whether Taylor Mays can play safety or not isn't the point...I THOUGHT I made that pretty clear with the post you QUOTED....but you were so anxious to yap some more...you didn't even let it sink in...

Sean Taylor's best comparison safety wise because of their virtually identical size...which is rare for safeties... is none other than Taylor Mays....who is VASTLY superior to Sean Taylor from an athletic standpoint.....VASTLY....

A lot of you Sean Taylor worshippers need a big time dose of reality forcefully shoved in your earholes and strung up by it with clothes-pins so you can just hang there as long as it takes before it becomes painfully obvious that you don't know what the **** you're talking about.....PERIOD...

Pinkboy
04-01-2010, 04:13 AM
TedSlimmJr is awesome

Clipse
04-01-2010, 06:58 AM
i think sean taylor was a heck of a prospect but i don't think he was an elite cover guy in the pros and i think he head hunted too much and as a result missed some plays that with his athleticism and speed he should have made...went for the big shot a little too much

and i don't think he showed the hips and cod quite of an eric berry... i'm also not sure that he had the ball awareness and instincts of berry...

now i've also seen eric berry head hunt at the college level and come up empty but i still think as an all around safety eric berry is the better pro prospect...

i also think that eric berry is the best pro safety prospect to come out in the last maybe 10 years...
Nobody is talking about what he did in the pros though. We're talking about Sean Taylor the prospect, which Thomas isn't close to being as close to, while Berry is.

hooshoops
04-01-2010, 08:08 AM
you cane fans are a trip...

and jimmy graham is gods gift to the tight end position right??? lol...please

52CANES
04-01-2010, 09:34 AM

we are :)

52CANES
04-01-2010, 09:35 AM
you cane fans are a trip...

and jimmy graham is gods gift to the tight end position right??? lol...please

You don't like Graham? I think the NON canes fans like Graham better lol... ****ing Va Tech game....

52CANES
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM

I don't care about bench that much, but you certainly are correct in that Ed Reed was better in college and better in the pros.

I was a little kid, i think about 8 or 9 years old when Bennie Blades was helping The U win a national title but he was likely better too, i remember him just being ridiculous.l

So Sean Taylor looks like the 3rd best safety from The U.....

Thats a nice group of safety's though.....

bigchub22
04-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Actually, I watched him play a lot...

Hell, son I was watching college football and studying the draft when you were still pooping in your FSU diapers...

Sean Taylor isn't even the best safety prospect from the University of Miami.....I'm old enough to remember watching guys like Darryl Williams and Bennie Blades play for Miami....nevermind Ed Reed...who left with ALL the career records from Miami..

That school record for INT's......Taylor shares that record with Bennie...who went #3 overall in the draft...

Bench press reps, 40 times, shuttles, splits, etc.....it ALL matters when you're talking PROSPECT...THAT'S WHY THEY DO IT....

Sean Taylor wasn't the fastest safety prospect....wasn't the best ball hawk...and he wasn't even the best safety prospect that's come out of his own school..... ...therefore he CANNOT be the "greatest of all time"......clowns..

He wasn't even that good of an NFL safety until not long before his passing.....it's just convenient to talk him now into something that he wasn't...

Whether Taylor Mays can play safety or not isn't the point...I THOUGHT I made that pretty clear with the post you QUOTED....but you were so anxious to yap some more...you didn't even let it sink in...

Sean Taylor's best comparison safety wise because of their virtually identical size...which is rare for safeties... is none other than Taylor Mays....who is VASTLY superior to Sean Taylor from an athletic standpoint.....VASTLY....

A lot of you Sean Taylor worshippers need a big time dose of reality forcefully shoved in your earholes and strung up by it with clothes-pins so you can just hang there as long as it takes before it becomes painfully obvious that you don't know what the **** you're talking about.....PERIOD...

:hi5: You got it

hooshoops
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
You don't like Graham? I think the NON canes fans like Graham better lol... ****ing Va Tech game....

i don't like him in the 2nd round...

52CANES
04-01-2010, 11:16 AM
i don't like him in the 2nd round...

I agree.... no thanks in the 2nd round.... I'd look at him in the 3rd and jump all over him in the 4th tho..

jbyrd423
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
I guess we just have to agree to disagree cause in my mind Sean Taylor>>>>Taylor Mays as an athlete or a football player, either one hes better. Theres more to being an athlete than being big and strong, theres also a thing calledbeing fluid and flexible, and Taylor Mays is about as flexible as my grandma. Also to say that Taylor wasnt the safety prospect that Blades was or Reed was is kind of misleading. Blades went 3rd overall in the draft, which is ridiculous for a safety, thats just unheard of. Reed went 24th I believe and Taylor went 5th overall. So the nfl thought he was superior to Reed as a prospect and right with Blades.

He was 6'3 230 and ran the 40 as low as 4.42 and as high as 4.55. Mays officially ran a 4.43 at the combine but because it was first reported as an unofficial 4.2 or whatever it was, people are all star-struck.

Also Sean left UM after his junior year where he had 10 picks, if he would have stayed for his senior season like Reed he would have needed 7 int's to tie Reed career record. 7 is no small feat but at the very least he would have come close to it. Blades was a little before my time but to say your 1a or 1b to Reed doesnt even matter. I still think as a prospect he was superior to Reed due to his combo of size/speed and I think the nfl agreed with that

I could talk about how badazz Sean was all day but I'll give it a rest

JT-forpresident
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
alright, you guys are right we were wrong...

sean taylor was a terrible nfl player... :rolleyes:

get real

Elliott 1
04-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Freak of nature????? Best ever??????? League of his own???????
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=27773&draftyear=2004&genpos=FS

That was a pretty unimpressive combine/pro day.

He had a couple good years as a pro. One with 5 int. and another with 100 plus tackles, but, wow, not the icon some have made him out to be.

state06
04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
the earl thomas @ 12 train seems to be picking up steam while others may be dying off. personally i dont mind whether he is compared to Taylor, Reed, Polomalu, Berry, but if he stays in the conversation with them, and does not screw up somehow before the draft, he is a VERY strong possibility

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I compare Thomas to Polamalu as a prospect.....except where Thomas has the better ball skills....he lacks the incredible lower body strength that Troy had coming out of USC...

Kdawg954
04-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Ed Reed was the better college and pro FS

But Canes fans have it right (and of course I am one) he is in a league of his own. Doesn't mean he had the best instincts or was the best college/pro FS . . . . but potential, size and hitting ability . . . there was none better. He did rely too much on his athletic ability and going for the big hit, and he would put himself out of place . . . his coverage skills were NOT elite, but they were solid.

I still think if you put Polamalu, Berry, E. Thomas, S. Taylor, M. Huff, E. Reed and L. Landry in the same draft coming out of college at the same time with the same film and everything . . . Sean Taylor gets pick before all of them by MOST NFL GM's. Doesn't mean he had the best college film or the best combines . . . he had that blend that GM's salivate over and D Coordinators desire. He is in a league of his own.

JT-forpresident
04-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Ed Reed was the better college and pro FS

But Canes fans have it right (and of course I am one) he is in a league of his own. Doesn't mean he had the best instincts or was the best college/pro FS . . . . but potential, size and hitting ability . . . there was none better. He did rely too much on his athletic ability and going for the big hit, and he would put himself out of place . . . his coverage skills were NOT elite, but they were solid.

I still think if you put Polamalu, Berry, E. Thomas, S. Taylor, M. Huff, E. Reed and L. Landry in the same draft coming out of college at the same time with the same film and everything . . . Sean Taylor gets pick before all of them by MOST NFL GM's. Doesn't mean he had the best college film or the best combines . . . he had that blend that GM's salivate over and D Coordinators desire. He is in a league of his own.

i liked sean taylor, and still do, a lot. And i'm not a canes fan.

and I can't agree with that...

Ed Reed is the 2000-2010 decade's best safety, hands down, and i'd pick him over sean taylor

RyanWallace321
04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
dudes a beast would love to see him ina fin jersey

jbyrd423
04-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Ed Reed is the 2000-2010 decade's best safety, hands down, and i'd pick him over sean taylor

Of course you would, cause you've gotten to see Ed Reed play 8 years in the NFL and ball out as one of the best safeties ever. Truth is if you lined up all those guys Sean would probably be picked first by NFL GM's and scouts. Theres a different between being an amazing player and being an amazing prospect. Sometimes you can be both but it doesnt always work out like that or the number one pick in the draft would always be a baller.

Kdawg954
04-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Of course you would, cause you've gotten to see Ed Reed play 8 years in the NFL and ball out as one of the best safeties ever. Truth is if you lined up all those guys Sean would probably be picked first by NFL GM's and scouts. Theres a different between being an amazing player and being an amazing prospect. Sometimes you can be both but it doesnt always work out like that or the number one pick in the draft would always be a baller.

And Ed Reed went 24th in that draft . . . u can bet anything that Taylor would never slip that far.

Kdawg954
04-01-2010, 11:01 PM

No question, the best safety we have seen in the 2000's. But he wasn't the best prospect. Remember defining a prospect for the NFL includes size, combine results, in addition to what he did in college. It's like Lebron and Wade . . . you just can't teach that size . . . and Wade was arguably better than Lebron those first 3 or 4 years . . . but Lebron has made that leap . . .who is to say that Sean Taylor wouldn't have made that leap. A real good prospect has unlimited potential, that was Sean Taylor . . . Ed Reed was the Jake Long of FS. He was a sure thing. I don't mind having the sure thing at all on my time . . . too many teams have been burnt by potential, but Sean Taylor was special . . . he needed to put it all together and it looked like he was starting to.