PDA

View Full Version : MY VOTE for IUPATI as our No. 12 PICK!

jeffa
03-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Okay, I know it is not the sexy pick! But after much thought and consideration, it is the best pick for us! Just listen to me on this one, my reasons why include the following:

IUPATI is special for his position. He is a rare Guard available with his traits (much like Hutchinson for the Vikings). He has great size (335 lb., 6'5"), strenght, atheleticism and love for the game (according to many draft mags) - all of which our trilogy love.

He is the SAFE PICK. Yes, I know that sucks, but it is true. Especially for the first round. Think about all the Monday Morning Quarterbacks after picking Jake Long and passing on Ryan. Would be better off? No! Yes, Ryan is good. But think about that draft. When we selected again at 32, there were no Left Tackles left, and we still grabbed Henne, whom I have alot faith in carrying this team.

No to EARL THOMAS. No safety is worth picking that high given the bust factor (i.e., our very own JASON ALLEN at pick #16 then, MICHAEL HUFF, LANDRY, etc.). Yes there will be the occassional Polumalu or Reed, but it is not worth the pick. We do not have that luxury.

No to SERGIO KINDLE, JERRY HUGHES (too high for him), CARLOS DUNLAP (no drive), DERRICK MORGAN (transition to 3-4 LB too much of a question), CJ SPILLER (luxury pick again) or ROLANDO McCLAIN (set enough for now with Crowder and Dansby).

This is an organization building to win now, but have a future. IUPATI solidifies that.

Now, you may slam me on this one.

jeffa
03-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Let me just add also NO's to...

Dan Williams. Not impressed. A one year wonder at Tennessee. Parcells loves consistency.

AND,

Dez Bryant. There is no way this organization is taking him. I left him out completely because he is too risky!

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 09:46 PM
i'm not gonna slam ya but i'm not gonna back ya on this one either...your flying solo on an offensive guard at pick #12

JCfinfan
03-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Dont get me wrong, I like Iupati but feel we have many other pressing needs at 12 and think we should take the top rated player that fills a need. IMO, our o-line is the strength of our team. We are good-to-go there.

VT Dolphan
03-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes, let's invest even more money into our offensive line. Let's just use a goal-line, 4 tackle package every down.

We need playmakers! I'm a firm believer in building inside out. The inside has been built. Get someone out there who knows what the hell a YAC even is. Our WR is pedestrian at best.

baseballcb95
03-31-2010, 09:58 PM
I do NOT back you, at 12 that is. If we trade down to mid 20s, maybe dallas at 27, you can consider me on board but this is my view on the pick.

IMO, there isnt an OLB i like or think is worthy of the 12th pick. Morgan (will be a hard transition to OLB) Graham (not up to par on size requirments, not much potential, overachiever) Hughes (pure reach, WOLB, were more in need of a SOLB) Kindle (I just dont like him, i dont even know why, he would dissapoint me here) Griffen (REACH)

I dont like Spiller unless Ronnie is traded for a first or second, its just not that big of a need if we keep Ronnie.

In the secondary, Berry is great but is a top 3 talent and will be gone, Haden is amazing (and a gator :]) but CB is set for now, and Earl Thomas is a strong possibility but there are question marks surrounding him as well including tackling and physicallity.

Dan Williams just doesnt provide value, a 2 down player and more value can be had later on.

QB is set and consider me 100% off any Mcclain bandwagon at 12 (if there is any left)

Now you come to the OLINE, I LOVE Williams, Okung, and Bulaga.

Here is my bigboard at 12.

Eric Berry
Dez Bryant
Trade Down
Okung
Iupati
Williams

That sends Carey Inside and would give us

Long, Incognito, Grove, Carey, Williams

Thats just plain nasty.

hooshoops
03-31-2010, 10:01 PM
you think okung makes it to #12??? i don't see how that's possible despite a bit of stiffness in drills that he seemed to show me...

baseballcb95
03-31-2010, 10:05 PM
you think okung makes it to #12??? i don't see how that's possible despite a bit of stiffness in drills that he seemed to show me...

NO! thats like people wanting berry in the first, he more than likely wont be there, its just my bigboard. Okung, Berry, Suh, Mccoy, Bradford,Clausen, Haden will all be gone by the time we pick imo. and one or two of T. Williams/Bulaga/Campbell

TheBow305
03-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Someone ban him! NOW!! ;)

3rdandinches
03-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Okay, I know it is not the sexy pick! But after much thought and consideration, it is the best pick for us! Just listen to me on this one, my reasons why include the following:

IUPATI is special for his position. He is a rare Guard available with his traits (much like Hutchinson for the Vikings). He has great size (335 lb., 6'5"), strenght, atheleticism and love for the game (according to many draft mags) - all of which our trilogy love.

He is the SAFE PICK. Yes, I know that sucks, but it is true. Especially for the first round. Think about all the Monday Morning Quarterbacks after picking Jake Long and passing on Ryan. Would be better off? No! Yes, Ryan is good. But think about that draft. When we selected again at 32, there were no Left Tackles left, and we still grabbed Henne, whom I have alot faith in carrying this team.

No to EARL THOMAS. No safety is worth picking that high given the bust factor (i.e., our very own JASON ALLEN at pick #16 then, MICHAEL HUFF, LANDRY, etc.). Yes there will be the occassional Polumalu or Reed, but it is not worth the pick. We do not have that luxury.

No to SERGIO KINDLE, JERRY HUGHES (too high for him), CARLOS DUNLAP (no drive), DERRICK MORGAN (transition to 3-4 LB too much of a question), CJ SPILLER (luxury pick again) or ROLANDO McCLAIN (set enough for now with Crowder and Dansby).

This is an organization building to win now, but have a future. IUPATI solidifies that.

Now, you may slam me on this one.

Only if it invloves a trade back that nets us another 2nd. I'd then have zero problem with it but I can't see it happening when FS, OLBx2, NT, WR, TE seem to need more improvement then Oline.

TedSlimmJr
03-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Taking a guard with the 12th overall pick in the draft is similar to taking a kicker in the first 2 rounds......it's stupid....and it's rare.....

It's rare because it's stupid...

..and by the way....this guy ain't Steve Hutchinson...

Good day..

Phin-Phan 66
03-31-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm firmly on the Brandon Graham bandwagon. Maybe even driving the train...

newlownorder
03-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Dude Iupati at 12? April Fools is tomorrow.

MP-Omnis
04-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm all for Iupati ... if we can trade down.

Ozfin77
04-01-2010, 12:45 AM
I posted this thought too about a week ago and I'm still all for it providing we trade down first.

SRM
04-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Why take someone at a position that isn't a need with the 12th pick of the draft? You're telling me you would add another guard to the list of Thomas, Garner, and Incognito with our 1st round pick, while depending on later picks to fill our actual needs?

Pat-London
04-01-2010, 06:32 AM
I could see it happen but would prefer if Iupati was the pick that we trade down.

Dolphin Dave
04-01-2010, 07:44 AM
I understand exactly where the OP is coming from and can respect his opinion. I agree with most of the posters here that #12 is probably to high. Never the less, putting him next to Long on the left side would make for a monster line for the next decade. OL is not the sexy pick but everthing on the offense relies on them.

gdiaz0358
04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
WE have way too many pressing needs at way more important positions such as NT,OLB,FS,WR,TE, and even RB since Ricky is 1 yr away from retirement and Ronnie is on his contract yr. I wouldnt hate the pick since hes going to be solid but we have 3 players who can play both gaurds positions and play them well, 4 if u include Smiley. I think theres only 3 possibilities @ 12. 1 is D.Bryant since we are depleted @ WR and yes i love Bess and Hartline but neither of them are #1. 2 OLB since Parcells loves big OLBs and Nolan needs toys for his defense. 3 FS either Berry if he falls or Thomas, but with all the news that we "are highly interested in THomas and are having him back for a visit" seems like BS because not once does the Trifecta show their hand in the draft.

PhinPhan910
04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I like lupati, and i'd take him.

After the 4th round.

Its like saying, lets draft sam bradford if he falls to us. Or what about Joe Haden? Maybe even taylor mays at SS?

Zounds
04-01-2010, 12:53 PM
I would take Iupati at #12 if Thomas is gone, or I'd take the best OT available. Seriously.