PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Claussen to fall out of top 20?

jim1
04-01-2010, 01:59 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen predicts that Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen will not be drafted in the top-20 picks.

This isn't a report; Mortensen is guessing. Still, he relays that plenty of teams "like" Clausen, but so far have been unable to find "reasons to love him." Mort predicts that the Bills will pass on Clausen if he falls to No. 9. Unless the Jaguars' (drafting 10th) interest in Clausen is sincere, a serious free fall could begin at that point, perhaps to as late as Minnesota (No. 30). Mar. 31 - 8:37 pm et
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter (http://twitter.com/mortreport/status/11395566989)

note: sanity seems to be returning when it comes to Claussen. I can't believe the praise that this guy has been receiving. I don't even know if he's a 1st rounder- most overrated player in the draft imo.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=170753

datruth55
04-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I was hoping he'd go to the Bills. I think he's going to be a bust.

MiamiBlog
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't think he'll fall out of the top 20, someone will grab him. But I don't think he is in elite quarterback by any means. His stats were greatly helped by Golden Tate (who is a stud) and the other receiver they had, his name escapes me.

datruth55
04-01-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't think he'll fall out of the top 20, someone will grab him. But I don't think he is in elite quarterback by any means. His stats were greatly helped by Golden Tate (who is a stud) and the other receiver they had, his name escapes me.
Michael Floyd

ckparrothead
04-01-2010, 02:14 PM
He's got the arm, he's got the experience in a pro system, and he's got the accuracy. But those are very basic core prerequisites to get in the game when it comes to the first round as a QB, and I see what people mean when they say they find it hard to find reasons to "love" him. You could find a reason to "love" Mark Sanchez (his leadership, attitude, etc). You could even find reasons to "love" Jamarcus Russell (he does things with the football most coaches have never even seen before). When you have questions about your attitude and your leadership ability, it is tough for teams to find ways to fall in love with you...especially when you're a little undersized. Slippery slope. The Bills won't take him because they've already been burned doing this before with J.P. Losman.

I could see him falling. But, I could also see a team stopping his slide. I think Washington is in love with Bradford, and I don't think Clausen fits what Shanahan likes to do on offense.

MiamiBlog
04-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Michael Floyd

YEP. That's him. Went to the same h.s. as Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor, Joe Mauer, Chris Weinke. He's a stud!

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I doubt it... but if he does he's going to make whichever team stops that slide extremely happy...

He's a better NFL quarterback prospect than Bradford...

I'd take Clausen over Bradford every time..

ckparrothead
04-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Everyone has their own cup of tea I guess.

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah...if I was going to run a Stoops offense against college defenses....give me Bradford..

As far as an NFL quarterback is concerned...give me Clausen..

baseballcb95
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I think he is either going to Washington, Seattle, Buffalo, or worst case scenario for him, 14 to seattle. I dont see him falling out of the top 15.

Mr. Magoo
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Clausen certainly has the physical skills, and now and then he plays well. But my problem with him isn't so much the attitude on and off the field -- which has become an overblown issue, imo -- it's that he doesn't come through with any consistency in the clutch. That's what doomed JP Losman as much as anything, and why I think they're a good comparison. Jeff George also gets brought up a lot but he had elite physical gifts no one says Clausen has.

I'd stay away, which means of course I hope the Bills take him.

ckparrothead
04-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah...if I was going to run a Stoops offense against college defenses....give me Bradford..

As far as an NFL quarterback is concerned...give me Clausen..

And if I want a guy with the personality and leadership ability of Janice Dickenson, who likes to loop his throws like Tebow at times and has no real pocket presence, I'll take Jimmy Clausen.

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Clausen certainly has the physical skills, and now and then he plays well. But my problem with him isn't so much the attitude on and off the field -- which has become an overblown issue, imo -- it's that he doesn't come through with any consistency in the clutch. That's what doomed JP Losman as much as anything, and why I think they're a good comparison. Jeff George also gets brought up a lot but he had elite physical gifts no one says Clausen has.

I'd stay away, which means of course I hope the Bills take him.

Don't watch much Notre Dame football, eh?

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 02:35 PM
And if I want a guy with the personality and leadership ability of Janice Dickenson, who likes to loop his throws like Tebow at times and has no real pocket presence, I'll take Jimmy Clausen.

Well it's not like he was playing behind that bomb shelter of an offensive line at Oklahoma that Bradford was where he stays untouched.... Clausen was playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in ND history for 3 years...

I think he does need a little work on his pocket presence....but it's because he's played behind such a pathetic offensive line his entire career at ND...sometimes he feels what I call "phantom pressure"....so would Bradford if he played behind that offensive line...

Actually, Bradford would've been on the sidelines in a shoulder sling a lot "Sooner" at ND..

ckparrothead
04-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Well it's not like he was playing behind that bomb shelter of an offensive line at Oklahoma that Bradford was where he stays untouched.... Clausen was playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in ND history for 3 years...

I think he does need a little work on his pocket presence....but it's because he's played behind such a pathetic offensive line his entire career at ND...sometimes he feels what I call "phantom pressure"....so would Bradford if he played behind that offensive line...

Actually, Bradford would've been on the sidelines in a shoulder sling a lot "Sooner" at ND..

LOL. I see what you did there...

rev kev
04-01-2010, 02:39 PM
The jury is out on both just like it is year for every college QB until they get behind the C - and then they get behind the C - and they get two more years to find their way...

hemidemon
04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen predicts that Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen will not be drafted in the top-20 picks.

This isn't a report; Mortensen is guessing. Still, he relays that plenty of teams "like" Clausen, but so far have been unable to find "reasons to love him." Mort predicts that the Bills will pass on Clausen if he falls to No. 9. Unless the Jaguars' (drafting 10th) interest in Clausen is sincere, a serious free fall could begin at that point, perhaps to as late as Minnesota (No. 30). Mar. 31 - 8:37 pm et
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter (http://twitter.com/mortreport/status/11395566989)

note: sanity seems to be returning when it comes to Claussen. I can't believe the praise that this guy has been receiving. I don't even know if he's a 1st rounder- most overrated player in the draft imo.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=170753
I agree. Both Clausen and Golden Tate are over rated. The media loves ND. Always have, always will. I don't see anything special about these two. If Claussen is still there after the first round, the media will call it a slide. I'd say it's about right.

DcRy82
04-01-2010, 03:29 PM
You may be right about Claussen, but you're wrong about Tate. Tate is a stud. Watch some game film. I HATE ND, but I love Golden Tate. We get every ND game in chicago and I've seen a lot of both of them. Tate and Floyd (last year) made Claussen who he is so far. Both are huge playmakers.

Mr. Magoo
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Don't watch much Notre Dame football, eh?

Actually, I do. I've watched at least 8 of Clausen's games since he was a freshman. Caught 3 or 4 this year.

The guy simply doesn't come up big when he has to. With the game on the line, a great quarterback has to be able to raise his level of play to near perfection. Clausen doesn't or can't. I see the same occasionally bad throw or numbskull decision with the game on the line that I do in the first quarter.

This is not to say he's expected to win every game or finish every drive with a touchdown. Look at Henne this year in the Saints game. We didn't win the game, but that wasn't because of him. Receivers dropped the ball. There were penalties. The defense collapsed. Henne was pretty used to that, too. It's what kept happening to him at Michigan, especially in bowl games.

Clausen simply doesn't rise to occasion. The USC game this year is a good example. As much as anything, when I look at quarterbacks that's what I want to see. It's part of why Bradford is the superior prospect. Against UF in the National Title Game, he was at his best. They didn't win the game, but it wasn't because he didn't come through time after time.

DcRy82
04-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Im going to have to disagree with that part about claussen. I'm not sold on him as a pro, but many times he did come thru. Their defense was just sooo terrible. They lost many games due to terrible defense.

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Actually, I do. I've watched at least 8 of Clausen's games since he was a freshman. Caught 3 or 4 this year.

The guy simply doesn't come up big when he has to. With the game on the line, a great quarterback has to be able to raise his level of play to near perfection. Clausen doesn't or can't. I see the same occasionally bad throw or numbskull decision with the game on the line that I do in the first quarter.

This is not to say he's expected to win every game or finish every drive with a touchdown. Look at Henne this year in the Saints game. We didn't win the game, but that wasn't because of him. Receivers dropped the ball. There were penalties. The defense collapsed. Henne was pretty used to that, too. It's what kept happening to him at Michigan, especially in bowl games.

Clausen simply doesn't rise to occasion. The USC game this year is a good example. As much as anything, when I look at quarterbacks that's what I want to see. It's part of why Bradford is the superior prospect. Against UF in the National Title Game, he was at his best. They didn't win the game, but it wasn't because he didn't come through time after time.

You people seriously must not watch college football.....I learned that a long time ago.

You're like Dillinger....full of holes here...

First, you cannot fault Jimmy Clausen for playing with THE WORST college defense in the entire country....that is not even up for debate.

Clausen had a game winning drive in nearly every single game ND won....you must have missed him coming off the bench INJURED in the final 2 minutes against Purdue when he led them on the game winning TD drive...

He had 3 game winning drives negated by the defense giving up the score right back.....he needed a slip and drop to not have the game (tieing) drive against USC. Clausen actually got better when the game was on the line.

ND's defense couldn't hold ANYBODY to under 30 points...hardly ever.

The fact that ND's offensive line was giving up school records for sacks during his 3 years and it being essentially the poorest in school history pretty much negates his "weapons".....go watch some film of Golden Tate and the NUMEROUS passes he dropped that Clausen put right on the money that would've been touchdown's....NO...don't reply....JUST GO DO IT..

Pro days for quarterbacks are scripted to perfection...almost like a movie....just like the offense was scripted to perfection that Bradford played in under Stoops. For all the hype that Bradford's pro day is getting because the ball didn't "touch the ground"...I got news for you....

Jimmy Clausen pitched TWO similar quality performances against ACTUAL DEFENSES in GAMES (against Hawaii and Nevada) where his only incompletions were drops. Until a Stoops quarterback actually makes an NFL roster in the NFL....the questions remain....

Clausen is more pro ready than Bradford...and he's the superior prospect. Bradford's game against Florida in the NC game was a terrific performance....helped by his defense picking off Tebow twice...

Here...let me make this very, very clear.....Clausen is the superior NFL quarterback prospect over Sam Bradford....

DcRy82
04-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Tate did drop a few TDs that I remember, but 1 or 2 plays later, scored them.. So its a wash really. Please dont say that Claussen MADE Tate and Floyd.. Maybe YOU should check out some tape and watch how many times they saved Claussen's ***. Look how many times Claussen chucked the ball up into solid coverage, sometimes, double coverage, and tate or floyd came down with the ball. Yes, they dropped some balls, every WR does, but Tate and Floyd helped him WAY more than hurt him.

TedSlimmJr
04-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Tate did drop a few TDs that I remember, but 1 or 2 plays later, scored them.. So its a wash really. Please dont say that Claussen MADE Tate and Floyd.. Maybe YOU should check out some tape and watch how many times they saved Claussen's ***. Look how many times Claussen chucked the ball up into solid coverage, sometimes, double coverage, and tate or floyd came down with the ball. Yes, they dropped some balls, every WR does, but Tate and Floyd helped him WAY more than hurt him.

Sometimes you just have to throw into double coverage...especially if you're going to play the position in the NFL...and especially when you're playing behind an offensive line as poor as ND's..

Your rationale works both ways....if Tate's drops are washed out by TD's...then Clausen's throws into double coverage are washed out by the pinpoint throws with surgical precision that he made.

Clausen puts the ball into spots where his reciever has the best chance to make the play on it....he didn't throw for almost 4,000 yards, 28 TD's and only 4 INT's because he was constantly bailed out by Tate and Floyd. Hell..he played most of the season without Floyd..

Nowhere did I say that Clausen made Tate or Floyd....YOU are trying to say that they made Clausen....and you're going to find out how sorely mistaken you are...

Clausen reads the field North to South and East to West.....Bradford reads the field North to South....

Did Jermain Gresham, Trent Williams, Joacquin Iglesias, Malcolm Kelly, Demarco Murray, Duke Robinson, Ryan Broyles, Chris Brown, Manuel Johnson, Bob Stoops, spread offense, bad Big-12 defenses, etc.....make Sam Bradford in your estimation?

DcRy82
04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree with what you're saying for the most part. I probably came off as a Claussen hater, but I do like the kid. I think he has potential. What I really meant is that he benefitted a lot from having 2 great playmaking WRs. But you're right, It does go both ways for sure. I got on the defensive because i thought you were callin tate and Floyd bums and that if it WERE one way or the other, i feel that the WRs (like you said, mainly Tate this past year) helped him more so than he helped them.. but at the end of the day, the QB has to get them the ball.. so yea, its all a wash... Sorry jus lookin out for my boy Golden.

DcRy82
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
And to add to that last paragraph that i didnt read until just now... I didnt watch enough of Bradford to accurately put together an opinion. but I would definately say that whenever I did watch Okla, Gresham definately made Bradfords life easier.

Clipse
04-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Doubt it.

DcRy82
04-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Doubt what? There's 25 threads to reply to.