PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Draft Spotlight: DE Derrick Morgan

Conuficus
04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/04/01/2010-draft-spotlight-de-derrick-morgan-georgia-tech/

Derrick Morgan is very much an effort player. Unfortunately, he is not the most athletically gifted player in the 2010 Draft Class. That does not mean that Morgan lumbers by any means, he simply will not “wow” you with his athleticism. During the pre draft process, there has been a good deal of consideration given to whether Morgan could in fact make the switch to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. Personally I have concerns about such a switch as I think Morgan may have some balance issues when he is forced to redirect at times. Morgan does not fall down every other play, but he does go to ground without the aid of his opponent. There are several instances where Morgan ends up on the ground that he probably shouldn’t have in my opinion. I don’t want to overemphasize this point, only highlight it.Thought you guys might enjoy this.

Lord Of Miami
04-01-2010, 11:46 PM
I've said this many times but to me he's a 4-3 LDE because he just doesn't have the speed to be a "great" 4-3 RDE because he just dosen't have the speed or burst.

As a 3-4 OLB he'd play as the LOLB and be about what Matt Roth was, which would be great but not as the 12 pick in the draft.

Conuficus
04-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I've said this many times but to me he's a 4-3 LDE because he just doesn't have the speed to be a "great" 4-3 RDE because he just dosen't have the speed or burst.

As a 3-4 OLB he'd play as the LOLB and be about what Matt Roth was, which would be great but not as the 12 pick in the draft.

Yeah, comparing him to Matt Roth is a pretty good way to go. Morgan will likely move a little better than Roth overall, but yeah drafting Matt Roth at 12 isn't the best idea.

Roth was a second rounder too IIRC.

Spesh
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, comparing him to Matt Roth is a pretty good way to go. Morgan will likely move a little better than Roth overall, but yeah drafting Matt Roth at 12 isn't the best idea.

Roth was a second rounder too IIRC.

About to run out my door, so i apologize if you went over it in the write up(which ill be reading in a bit, thanks in advance), but how does Derrick Morgan compare to Carl Banks?
People have called banks the quintessential SOLB and Parcells burned the 3rd overall pick on him in 1984. Curious if Morgan compares favorably.

HawkDolphan
04-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm going to keep beating this drum. Sorry if it bothers any of you, but Morgan didn't do squat against Iowa in the Orange Bowl. Now, he was lined up at both RDE and LDE. When he was RDE, he was competing against Brian Bulaga, who appears to be a Top 15 pick.

The surprising part is he also did NOTHING against Riley Reiff, who was starting his FIRST GAME AT RIGHT TACKLE, and is only a Redshirt Freshman. Kyle Calloway was moved inside to RG, because Geaorgia Tech had some 340 pounder as a DT, and Calloway owned him.

I'm sorry, but Georgia Tech had an underachieving defense all year long. For a defense that supposedly has two first day picks (Morgan & Burnett) I really question whether they have the stones it takes to be starters in the NFL.

Dear Trifecta: please DON'T pick this guy.

ckparrothead
04-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't see Roth comparisons AT ALL on that one.

I see as I've always seen, Tamba Hali.

Conuficus
04-02-2010, 01:11 PM

I knew you were gonna say that.

Spesh
04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Went back and read it, great article, very insightful.

You mentioned it a few times in the article how his lack of arm use is a major concern. Of all his flaws, or any players, i dont see how that one couldnt be coached out of him.
Couldnt ask for better teachers of linebackers then Mike Nolan and Bill Sheridan with Parcells adding input.

finfan54
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Yeah he is not matt roth. He would be transitioning like Roth so the ? all aimed at Morgan are in regards to this.

The Trifecta has many many eyeballs on many many OLB's so tend to think if they draft this kid, its cus they believe he will be able to shut down the outside, make the occasional sack, and knock a TE back a step if needed.

He has the size they like for the position.

A player who gives his all but does not wow you is a good football player cus they are playing disciplined and doing what the coaches ask. Morgan may be gone before our pick though.

insomnia411
04-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Say what you want about size and strength, if you put on the tape it does not take a scouting genius to see that Brandon Graham is the far better player in every aspect. Picking Morgan over Graham would be flat out stupid and it would further prove my point that our front office is way too stubborn for their own good. I really don't see how you can possibly even make the argument for Morgan over Graham.
I'm sick and tired of missing out on great players due to their supposed lack of physical tools. Drew Brees Anquan Boldin and Ray Lewis ring any bells?