PDA

View Full Version : Why not Sergio Kindle?

Playmaker76
04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
During the past few weeks I have been lukewarm about the idea of drafting Sergio Kindle as our first round pick. However, I am starting to really like the possibility of inserting a playmaker such as Kindle at the OLB position for Nolan's 3-4. Now before you all start bashing the idea by claiming the selection would be a reach, consider that Pro Football Weekly has him as the 11th best prospect in the draft.

Here is a breakdown of Kindle by Pro Football Weekly:

Positives: Looks every bit the part with length and pro-ready musculature. Good instincts. Good athletic ability, balance, and body control. Strong and powerful. Has explosive edge spped to bend the corner. Rips off blocks and closes fast to the quarterback. Controls blockers and can set the edge versus the run. Can line up over tight ends and shadow them down the field. Shows awareness dropping in zone. Generates power through his hips and possesses explosive stricking ability as a tackler. Plays hard and ranges to make plays. Tough and will play hurt. Versatile-has rushed from inside and outside and operated from a two- and three point stance. Shows up in big games.

Negatives: Is tightly wound and shows some hip stiffness when moving laterally. Tends to play too upright. Needs to develop a wider array of countermoves. Has some growing up to do, and character will require scrutiny given past incidents involving alcohol. Lacks leadership qualities.

Summary: Athletic, explosive hybrid rusher with the power and explosion to make a Shawne Merriman-like impact heating up the edge sfrom the outside in a "30" front (3-4). Biggest questions center around his maturity, but there is no doubting his physical talent.

If every team ran a 3-4 I believe this guy would be a sure top five pick. He is not ranked as high in some publications because he played mostly defensive end last year and won't be as effective there in a 4-3 as he would be at OLB in a 3-4.

This guy seems to be a very good all around 3-4 OLB. He is a beast at pass rushing, can set the edge versus the run, and shows good instincts dropping back in coverage. Seems like a perfect fit and the type of versatile playmaker we need for Nolan's aggressive style defense.

IMO he is a better all around 3-4 OLB than Graham and Morgan. He has prototypical size the Trifecta looks for in a LB and can be moved around all over the field for Nolan's crazy aggressive shemes. Something Graham and Morgan probably can't do (I see them as mainly pass rushers who will struggle in coverage as OLB).

Sergio Kindle has moved up my draft board, what about yours?

Charlie Brown
04-02-2010, 01:16 AM
I wouldnt mind Kindle, alot of people on this board hate the idea. Truth is, Kindle fits the ideal Parcells OLB

TheBow305
04-02-2010, 01:26 AM
I wouldnt mind Kindle, alot of people on this board hate the idea. Truth is, Kindle fits the ideal Parcells OLB

Agreed. I could really see him being our pick. I'd be ok with it.

Ozfin77
04-02-2010, 01:56 AM
He's a good player....but at 12?....No.

I actually thought I'd check out some more tape on him this morning..I thought maybe I was missing something, but came away with the same thoughts I had before I watched.

I wasnt overly impressed.....If we trade down, yeah maybe...but not at 12.

XxfeensterxX
04-02-2010, 02:03 AM
I still think he is #2 behind Brandon Graham. Graham may not be proven in pass coverage but he can rush the passer non-stop and be very very good against the run, just look at his tackles for loss. Graham can also afford to lose 5-10 pounds and gain a lot of quickness. I would rather trade down but, getting Kindle in the 1st wouldnt be that bad.

rent this space
04-03-2010, 01:28 AM
the alcohol problem is what soured me on Kindle

Clipse
04-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Because there's around 6 better OLB's available?

BassFin
04-03-2010, 02:04 AM
the alcohol problem is what soured me on Kindle

He had a DWI in 2007 and has been OK since. I don't think it will be a problem. He was a sophomore in college. 90% of his class was getting drunk on a regular basis. I don't like it but it's reality.

The texting car crash episode is troubling but I think it was more a case of being scared, concussed and taking off since he didn't hurt anyone. At least he wasn't drunk.

He showed up big for the National Championship game with eight tackles, 2.5 sacks and 3.5 tackles for losses.

All that being said, for some reason, I just don't want him to be the pick at 1.12.

j-off-her-doll
04-03-2010, 02:09 AM

Truth is:

He's not a good pass rusher, and he looks really stiff in coverage - especially for someone who's played LB in college.

silvrwrx
04-03-2010, 03:10 AM
I like kindle as a player but i just dont see him worth a 12th pick. If we were able to trade down and get more mores and him in the late later part of the first round then i'd be okay with that. But at the 12th spot there are better players availalbe...hopefully.

X-Pacolypse
04-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Terrible in run support.

rent this space
04-03-2010, 03:24 AM
He had a DWI in 2007 and has been OK since. I don't think it will be a problem. He was a sophomore in college. 90% of his class was getting drunk on a regular basis. I don't like it but it's reality.

The texting car crash episode is troubling but I think it was more a case of being scared, concussed and taking off since he didn't hurt anyone. At least he wasn't drunk.

He showed up big for the National Championship game with eight tackles, 2.5 sacks and 3.5 tackles for losses.

All that being said, for some reason, I just don't want him to be the pick at 1.12.
like I have said before, I've done a lot of partying in my time, but I have never driven my car into an apartment building. I don't buy the texting excuse either. it occurred at 3am, he fled the scene, his lawyer later explained that he "needed to go to bed". do you really believe alcohol wasn't involved?