PDA

View Full Version : TCU's Daryl Washington meets with Dolphins

FinAtic8480
04-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Washington—who’s known for his speed and ability to track ball carriers sideline-to-sideline—turned some heads at TCU’s pro day on March 12 when he ran a 4.54 twice in the 40-yard-dash. The senior finished with the sixth-best 40 time among linebackers at the combine in February when he ran a 4.63.

Washington was named first-team All Mountain West in 2009 after completing a season in which he racked up 109 stops (68 solo), two sacks, three interceptions and a touchdown for the 12-1 Horned Frogs. He finished his four-year career at TCU with 219 tackles.

The senior linebacker has already met with the Atlanta Falcons, Miami Dolphins and Washington Redskins.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/TCUs-Daryl-Washington-is-lining-em-up.html

JCfinfan
04-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Interesting. I like the kid but didn't think he had the size we are looking for in a MLB.

cobbs321
04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
He seems like one of those players that we could put him anywhere, kinda like Brandon Graham. He has the speed for SOLB and the run stopping ability for MLB and WOLB

Phin-Phan 66
04-03-2010, 10:29 PM
He's a player. I hope we can get him at a good value position in the draft.
He's projected 2nd round. Hopefully he drops.

j-off-her-doll
04-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I used to shoot him down for being too small to play in our system, but he's a dynamic player. If he does fall to us in the 2nd, I think we have to take a long look. He looks like he can fill out that frame, too. I'd take him 10 out of 10 times over Weatherspoon.

FinAtic8480
04-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Alot of people are real high on this kid.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 04:48 AM
smokescreen...there's no way i'd take this kid and put him inside in a 3-4...226 lbs at the senior bowl

FinAtic8480
04-04-2010, 04:54 AM
smokescreen...there's no way i'd take this kid and put him inside in a 3-4...226 lbs at the senior bowl

Every player the Fins brings in guy like you call them smokescreen. The Fins will be bringing 35-40 local players aside from the 50 national players they are allowed. Are all smokescreens?

I have yet to see this organization bring in a player that they have not shown true interest in. It is ridiculous to think they are entertaining players they would not like to have.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Every player the Fins brings in guy like you call them smokescreen. The Fins will be bringing 35-40 local players aside from the 50 national players they are allowed. Are all smokescreens?

I have yet to see this organization bring in a player that they have not shown true interest in. It is ridiculous to think they are entertaining players they would not like to have.

yeah...you're not selling me on a 230 lb 3-4 ilb...not happening

no 230 lb 3-4 ilbs...

ckparrothead
04-04-2010, 05:03 AM

A lot of 3-4 teams are talking to him. When he locks on, he is FORCEFUL.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:03 AM
A lot of 3-4 teams are talking to him. When he locks on, he is FORCEFUL.

i think it's a mistake...that guys a great 4-3 fit...why put him in a 3-4???

ckparrothead
04-04-2010, 05:09 AM
i think it's a mistake...that guys a great 4-3 fit...why put him in a 3-4???

Because he has the ability to get off blocks and the quickness to avoid them, while being a three-down player.

Some of these guys the Brandon Spikes of the world they may be heavier and they may get off blocks but they're not going to be three-down players and so they're just not very valuable.

There's a school of thought that it's not as difficult to get a guy a little stronger, maybe a little heavier, and teach him how to deal with blockers, as it is to get a two-down guy to be a three-down guy or to give a guy that doesn't have explosion some more explosion.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:10 AM
i just don't see why you'd want to put guys like washington and spoon who can attack the ball and arrive in a hurry when they have clean looks in a 3-4 and ask them to sift through trash and take on blockers...

it doesn't make sense to me...and spoon for my eyes on tape wasn't even very effective as a take on or shed player against those soft east west running games in conference...

i don't like either of these guys as 3-4 ilbs vs downhill nfl running games...

these guys to me give you the most bang for your buck as 4-3 lbs...run and chase players who arrive in a hurry and can run to the ball...

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Because he has the ability to get off blocks and the quickness to avoid them, while being a three-down player.

Some of these guys the Brandon Spikes of the world they may be heavier and they may get off blocks but they're not going to be three-down players and so they're just not very valuable.

There's a school of thought that it's not as difficult to get a guy a little stronger, maybe a little heavier, and teach him how to deal with blockers, as it is to get a two-down guy to be a three-down guy or to give a guy that doesn't have explosion some more explosion.

i also don't know if you can put a lot of weight on a washington...he's thin torsoed to me...i think he might carry 235 max well...but i don't see this guy handling say 245 well...

226 at the senior bowl...

FinAtic8480
04-04-2010, 05:15 AM
i just don't see why you'd want to put guys like washington and spoon who can attack the ball and arrive in a hurry when they have clean looks in a 3-4 and ask them to sift through trash and take on blockers...

it doesn't make sense to me...and spoon for my eyes on tape wasn't even very effective as a take on or shed player against those soft east west running games in conference...

i don't like either of these guys as 3-4 ilbs vs downhill nfl running games...

these guys to me give you the most bang for your buck as 4-3 lbs...run and chase players who arrive in a hurry and can run to the ball...

When most 3-4 teams see this kid as an ILB and you do not, someone is obviously wrong. I think the NFL teams are the ones correct, no offense.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:19 AM
When most 3-4 teams see this kid as an ILB and you do not, someone is obviously wrong. I think the NFL teams are the ones correct, no offense.

color me not impressed with your takes...

j-off-her-doll
04-04-2010, 05:20 AM

Was going to ask you how you see him fitting in Nolan's D. So, how do you see him fitting in Nolan's D?

And, hoops, to my eyes, he looks like he hasn't maxed out his frame at all.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:24 AM
so the guy played at around 220 lbs this season cause he didn't feel like bumping it up into the 240 lb range???

this isn't a 6 ft 5 kid i believe he's 6 ft 2 and he's thin torsoed...now you want to draft the kid and PROJECT him to be effective carrying an extra 10-15 lbs??? and you want to use a high 2nd round pick max to do it???

not me...i'm going with the guy who has the size etc already....and likely not an ilb period cause the value isn't there in a 3-4 imo...not with 230 lb guys...

j-off-her-doll
04-04-2010, 05:32 AM
so the guy played at around 220 lbs this season cause he didn't feel like bumping it up into the 240 lb range???

this isn't a 6 ft 5 kid i believe he's 6 ft 2 and he's thin torsoed...now you want to draft the kid and PROJECT him to be effective carrying an extra 10-15 lbs??? and you want to use a high 2nd round pick max to do it???

not me...i'm going with the guy who has the size etc already....and likely not an ilb period cause the value isn't there in a 3-4 imo...not with 230 lb guys...

I'm not talking about him adding 15 lbs in one off season. He has great instincts: gets after the ball, moves like a safety in coverage, and he plays stronger than - say - Weatherspoon. And, I like him blitzing.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:36 AM
I'm not talking about him adding 15 lbs in one off season. He has great instincts: gets after the ball, moves like a safety in coverage, and he plays stronger than - say - Weatherspoon. And, I like him blitzing.

alright i hear all that...and i agree with what you have...but your still taking a guy in the mid 2nd round in a draft that you need to hit bad and asking a guy to continue to be as effective a player over time while you calorie load him...and hoping that he can carry the same on field grade and skills that you saw at 220 lbs at a higher weight...

i really look at that as reaching...why reach with a pick that high when you have guys who fit the profile at other positions just as talented available???

FinAtic8480
04-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Washington is made for an attacking Defense, the type of defense Nolan runs. Look at the quickness an agility the kid has to change direction and avoid blockers. Another thing is you guys are talking like if the Fins would take him with 1st. They are just bringing him in for a visit, we have no idea where they have him ranked.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:44 AM
you better have a hell of a defensive front if you're gonna plug a 230 lb ilb in a 3-4...

and paul solai isn't cutting it if that's the case...better get a DOMINANT NOSE

cause i know if i was an oc i'd run downhill at that 230 lb guy til one of 2 things...

he proved to me he could physically take on lineman and shed and that he could hold up over the course of an nfl game with me continuously running downhill at him... or...

that nose was so dang dominant the guards weren't getting to the 2nd level...

j-off-her-doll
04-04-2010, 05:47 AM
alright i hear all that...and i agree with what you have...but your still taking a guy in the mid 2nd round in a draft that you need to hit bad and asking a guy to continue to be as effective a player over time while you calorie load him...and hoping that he can carry the same on field grade and skills that you saw at 220 lbs at a higher weight...

i really look at that as reaching...why reach with a pick that high when you have guys who fit the profile at other positions just as talented available???

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying he should be our pick in the 2nd. I just think he's worth a hard look. He's a special talent that might fit. But, I think that some 4-3 team will draft him before we're up in the 2nd - because he is a special talent.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 05:49 AM
my guess is he doesn't make it to pick #43 anyways...if he was 15 lbs heavier moved the way he does now and looks like he looks on tape he'd probably be a top 10 pick

FinAtic8480
04-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Washington is ten pounds lighter than Patrick Willis, ten pounds can be gained in three months and then some

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 06:08 AM
there's a difference between good and bad weight...not everyone can carry 10 extra lbs well...

Dogbone34
04-04-2010, 06:11 AM
i like washington and weatherspoon because they are both fast. we are so slow at linebacker. now with crowder and dansby inside, we can afford some shut down speed outside with sure tacklers that can cover.

FinAtic8480
04-04-2010, 06:14 AM
there's a difference between good and bad weight...not everyone can carry 10 extra lbs well...

How do you know he cannot carry the weight, based on what.

hooshoops
04-04-2010, 06:18 AM
How do you know he cannot carry the weight, based on what.

i don't know he can't...just like i don't know he can...just like no one here knows if he can...i know that with the height he is and the torsoe i see i don't like it but that's just me...

it becomes a projection...it becomes a risk...it becomes a risk with a high 2nd round pick...it's a chance i'd only take if there wasn't some equal value on the board elsewhere...and imo there will be plenty of value with less risk that high...

of course i don't see him as a say elite talent either so the risk to me doesn't add up to worth taking...

FinAtic8480
04-04-2010, 06:24 AM
i don't know he can't...just like i don't know he can...just like no one here knows if he can...i know that with the height he is and the torsoe i see i don't like it but that's just me...

it becomes a projection...it becomes a risk...it becomes a risk with a high 2nd round pick...it's a chance i'd only take if there wasn't some equal value on the board elsewhere...and imo there will be plenty of value with less risk that high...

of course i don't see him as a say elite talent either so the risk to me doesn't add up to worth taking...

fair enough

Lord Of Miami
04-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Bill and Jeff drafted Kevin Burnett as the 42 overall pick to be a 3rd down ILB in Dallas and we drafted JD Folsom last year who's only 230 himself to also be a 3rd down ILB on passing downs.

So if they did draft him, it would be to play that role then put on 20 pound of muscle in the next two years and make him a starter when Crowder leaves.

So could it happen? YES.........Will it with us still not having a starting FS,OLB,and a future DT, odds are no it won't, but it could.