PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse WR Mike Williams predicts he will be " The Steal of the Draft"

FinAtic8480
04-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Guys I will posting news from my mobile, so no links. The story is on rotoworld.com. Williams is quoted as saying that if he is not taken in the first he will be the steal of draft. He has his highscool coach vouching for him saying he has no character concerns.

If some one can post the link and quote the article I would appreciate it.

TrinidadDolfan
04-06-2010, 08:20 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5568&line=170986&spln=1

hooshoops
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
"steal" seems like an appropriate word given all his off the field red flags

Mr_Freezetag
04-06-2010, 08:23 PM
With his potential, he could be right. And no way is he taken in the 1st.

TrinidadDolfan
04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
"Syracuse WR Mike Williams, who worked out for six NFL teams Monday, predicts that he will be "the steal of the draft."
"I love football," said Williams, who quit Syracuse's team seven games into last year. "If I don't go in the first round, I'm going to be the steal of the draft. I tell people that: it don't matter where I go. I'm going to be a good character guy and love my teammates." Williams' high school coach vouched for his former pupil, saying "Anybody who thinks Mike has character issues is nuts." Apr. 6 - 10:07 am et
Source: Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/05/1010055/williams-auditions-for-nfl.html)"

Phin-Phan 66
04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
3rd rounder if we dont get Dez

I like his fire - but what would you expect him to say?
His antics cost him millions...

PhinsTD
04-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Remember that Minnesota RB who slipped to the 5th round due to character questions? He nicknamed himself "SOD" for Steal Of the Draft. I believe he went to jail for trying to smuggle a penis shaped item through an airport.

The item was helping him pass a drug test...

ghostface95
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I have this vision that if Berry is gone by pick 12 then we're getting Dez.......

also, we'd get Mike Williams in the 3rd or 4th due to an extra pick acquired by the FO making some kind of "shrewd" business move

oh the possibilities

JCfinfan
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I like the kids potential but feel any earlier than the 3rd or 4th is too early for him.

FinSolari
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
3rd rounder if we dont get Dez

I like his fire - but what would you expect him to say?
His antics cost him millions...

I think all that "fire" he displays is manufactured to raise his stock. I remember after Beck was drafted by the dolphins and he went on 790 the ticket and said how he wanted to be like Danny boy with the same fire in his eyes. :lol:

ckparrothead
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't even draft him.

FinAtic8480
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Good to see the kid has some fire, but his serious character concerns are an issue. Lots of other players with good upside like Tate, Easely, Price, Brizcoe, Long etc........

ckparrothead
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure Briscoe belongs on that list...

hooshoops
04-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure Briscoe belongs on that list...

me either...in fact i'm sure for me he doesn't

thejetssuck
04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
I say draft Dez AND Mike Williams!! Let them battle it out and motivate each other. If Mike gets his head screwed on straight, we could potentially have 2 number 1 receivers. Plus this regime does like drafting in 2's. Above all else though, I WANT DEZ BRYANT!! Mike Williams as well would just sort of be a bonus.

Phin-Phan 66
04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I say draft Dez AND Mike Williams!! Let them battle it out and motivate each other. If Mike gets his head screwed on straight, we could potentially have 2 number 1 receivers. Plus this regime does like drafting in 2's. Above all else though, I WANT DEZ BRYANT!! Mike Williams as well would just sort of be a bonus.

They would be monsters together, but we have too many other pressing needs IMO, to draft them both.

Aqua and Orange
04-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Dez Bryant and Mike Williams would be an amazing pairing. The only issue is that pairing will likely cost a 1st and 3rd on the same position, which would then pose the problem for our holes at NT, S, and OLB, not to mention our RB situation next year.

finfan54
04-07-2010, 12:47 AM
I would rather have Blair White in round 4. 6-2 bright, hard worker, athletic, 4.4 forty.

Dont get why guys like this get no action.

Dajesus
04-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Why does someone always start a thread similar to something someone else just posted no matter how obscure it is like drafting Mike Williams?

A lot of you who have chimed in on this thread and the one started before this one are looking at him as a 2-4th round pick, but most experts have him going in rounds 5-6. I think if he is available in the 5th round we should package some 6th round picks we have to grab him. On the field Williams has shown flashes of being as valuable as Dez Bryant. Same size and speed, but Williams had more off the field issues, and played for a much worse team in school.

The problems with Williams and Bryant is the only WR Miami needs is a #1 wr. If we waste a pick or fa signing on a WR and he does not end up being our #1 WR with 70+ receptions and 8+ tds it was a waste. We have 3 guys who have proven they can be very good #2 and #3 wrs in Hartline, Bess, and Cam. For some reason we have not cut or unloaded Ginn, so we have our kick returner(but for the love of good let him return punts as bess sucks at it.) We have Turner as project and Ginn can at least play as our 4th wr. If we needed a 4th WR or even 3rd WR I think Freddy Barnes from Bowling Green would make more sense.

All that being said if Williams and possibly even Marcus Easley are in available in the 5th it would be a worth while gamble as they both are low risk and high reward. At the very worst they would push Turner so there would be a good fight for one of the projects to step up.

ticophin
04-07-2010, 03:04 AM
So humble, and he hasnt even been drafted yet....This kid will make T.O. look like Saint Francis!

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 03:16 AM
So humble, and he hasnt even been drafted yet....This kid will make T.O. look like Saint Francis!

LOL, I agree

datruth55
04-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Here is the report from National Football Post. He apparently had a pretty good workout.

Former Syracuse wide receiver Mike Williams had a strong workout today at the Thurman Thomas sports academy in Buffalo for several NFL teams, a showing expected to boost his draft stock.

One NFL scout described Williams' performance as "amazing," per a league source.

The 6-foot-2, 212-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.53 seconds, also turning in a 4.17 short shuttle and a 6.74 three-cone drill.

Per our source, Williams recorded a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap, a 9-10 broad jump and an 11.63 60-yard shuttle.

Baltimore Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler ran the route-running drills.

Among the other teams that attended the workout: the Green Bay Packers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns and the San Diego Chargers

We're told that Williams ran 100 routes and displayed sound hands and crisp patterns.

Williams has previously visited the Ravens and conducted a private workout for the Miami Dolphins.

Williams is an imposing wide receiver with athleticism and ability to run after the catch.

Williams caught 49 passes for 746 yards and six touchdowns last season before leaving the program.

He also set a Syracuse record in 2007 when he caught at least one touchdown pass in nine consecutive games.

Williams is projected a second-round target for NFL teams.

"It was an improvement today," Williams told the Buffalo News. "I showed them that I'm staying in shape (http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/) and I'm still running."

Williams addressed his departure from the Syracuse program.

"I made some mistakes," he said. "Iíve got to learn from my mistakes and make up for it," he said. "Iíve just tried to let all of them know that I can do this. This is what I do. I love football.

"If I donít go in the first round, Iím going to be the steal of the draft. I tell people that: it donít matter where I go, Iíll be the steal of the draft. Iím going to be a good character guy and love my teammates."
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Mike-Williams-has-strong-workout.html

#1dolphinsfan
04-07-2010, 06:29 AM
If we can't get Dez Bryant I would love Mike Williams

Fin_Frenzy_84
04-07-2010, 06:52 AM
He will be the steal I think we can take him in the 4th...

Dajesus
04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Here is the report from National Football Post. He apparently had a pretty good workout.

I could not imagine him going in the 2nd round unless he is taken by Oakland or Dallas, as you never know what those two mad men will do. If he would have just played football and studied he would be bound for the first two rounds, but his problems are going to seriously hurt Williams. Dez will probably drop 10-15 picks down from where he would have been picked if he never met Deion, but he did actually do anything wrong. Randy Moss fell very far considering his talent for basically nothing. Williams got kicked off the team twice. If he goes before round 4 I would be surprised. I think from round 4 and on he is a very good value.

MiamiDolfan85
04-07-2010, 07:39 AM
its amazingly shocking how some people could easily be atop of their craft if they would stfu and do what your supposed to do.You get the recognition you work for by actions,not for what you say....

MiamiDolfan85
04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I would rather have Blair White in round 4. 6-2 bright, hard worker, athletic, 4.4 forty.

Dont get why guys like this get no action.
cause we already have our Blair White in Brian Hartline....eirely similar....that would be a terribly wasted pick...