PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Earl Thomas meeting with Fins, today

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Im told Earl Thomas is in Miami meeting with Fins tonight and tommorrow. This the third times these two meet and the second time they wine & dine together

TXFinFan
04-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Although I love Earl Thomas, I can't help but wonder why our FO would be so repeatedly & obviously (publicly) interested in him.

JCfinfan
04-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Wow! I wonder why there are so many meetings with this guy. He is in my top 3 players to take at 12. It just seems odd we are meeting with him so much.

MARSHALLAW305
04-07-2010, 01:24 AM
I would have to think that it is made public for a reason as-well. The only reason i can think of is to put pressure on other teams. However i don't think Thomas is one of those players that anyone is gonna think about moving up for.. With that being said maybe they are planning to trade down and use a later pick for him?

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Did the samething last year with Vontae. Interviewed him at the combine, went to his proday and invited him. By the way the only reason we know he has met twice before was cause a Dolphin fan spotted him at his dinner with the Fins and tweeted it to mortensen.

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 03:50 AM
The Miami Dolphins have already met with Texas safety Earl Thomas twice while evaluating prospects for the NFL Draft, and Thomas is now getting a third opportunity to charm the team's decision makers.

Thomas will begin a two-day visit with the Dolphins on Wednesday, and the main purpose of the trip to Davie is to meet with Bill Parcells and go over film with General Manager Jeff Ireland and coach Tony Sparano.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-0407-20100406,0,6915727.story

uga3406
04-07-2010, 04:04 AM
i said it once and will keeping say it till draft day: Earl Thomas should be the Dolphins #1 pick, no matter where they end up picking at 12 or moving back..enough with the stop gaps at the saftey position, Thomas is the man we need here

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 04:05 AM
i said it once and will keeping say it till draft day: Earl Thomas should be the Dolphins #1 pick, no matter where they end up picking at 12 or moving back..enough with the stop gaps at the saftey position, Thomas is the man we need here

The fact he is watching Film with the Big Tune and Ireland says alot.

MiamiDolfan85
04-07-2010, 04:18 AM
yes,and how well he does will prove evident towards him being the pick or not.I have to imagine this late in the process Miami already has their big boards set up throughout the 7 rounds.If Earls their guy,showing how intellegent you are could bump your value toward the Phins to the top of the board(if hes not already at the top)....

MiZFiT
04-07-2010, 04:28 AM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-0407-20100406,0,6915727.story

The Miami Dolphins (http://www.finheaven.com/topic/sports/football/miami-dolphins-ORSPT000189.topic) have already met with Texas safety Earl Thomas twice while evaluating prospects for the NFL (http://www.finheaven.com/topic/sports/football/nfl-ORSPT000007.topic) Draft, and Thomas is now getting a third opportunity to charm the team's decision makers.

Thomas will begin a two-day visit with the Dolphins on Wednesday, and the main purpose of the trip to Davie is to meet with Bill Parcells and go over film with General Manager Jeff Ireland and coach Tony Sparano.

I love it. They seem to really like him.

elite14eva
04-07-2010, 04:32 AM
he might be our pick @ 12.

Kdawg954
04-07-2010, 04:32 AM
I have no problem taking him at 12. For all we know, the Fins may have him ahead of Eric Berry.

MiZFiT
04-07-2010, 04:34 AM
he might be our pick @ 12.

I hope so.

foozool13
04-07-2010, 04:35 AM
ya I remember they met with Vontae quite a bit before taking him...BUT I would love to see Dez Bryant be the pick though...

MiZFiT
04-07-2010, 04:37 AM
ya I remember they met with Vontae quite a bit before taking him...

I know the phins have met with bryant but that was once. Ive never heard of a team talking to a player three times and that team being outside of the top 10 picks in the draft.

3rdandinches
04-07-2010, 04:38 AM
E.Thomas, D.Bryant, CJ.Spiller.......it'll be one of these three!!!

Win, win, win for us!

allsilverdreams
04-07-2010, 04:38 AM
dreams do come true right?

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2010, 04:39 AM
I have no problem taking him at 12. For all we know, the Fins may have him ahead of Eric Berry.

I don't have him ahead of Berry. But, I do think he's a little better as a ball hawk, and I'm confident he's better in man-to-man coverage. So, for our purposes - in Nolan's system - I don't see the drop off from Berry to Thomas that some do. In a more "old school" D, the differences between Berry and Thomas become more glaring - in favor of Berry.

E. Reed became a star under Nolan. To me, Thomas is more similar to Reed than is Berry.

My point: you can't go wrong with either if you're Miami.

allsilverdreams
will he last untill the 12th pick ?
i would have to say no

MiZFiT
dreams do come true right?

Berry would be a dream. Thomas is realistic.

rev kev
04-07-2010, 04:42 AM
I guess we are trading down with Dallas then

Scoffaveli
04-07-2010, 04:43 AM
will he last untill the 12th pick ?
i would have to say no

lol who would take him before us?

I found it rather interesting that Mike Mayock has Earl Thomas as the best safety in the draft...

#1dolphinsfan
04-07-2010, 04:47 AM
I hope Dez Bryant is our pick but Thomas wouldn't be a bad pick up

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:01 AM
the difference between ed reed and earl thomas for me is that while ed reed isn't the most physical player he will get physical with the ball in the air...i don't see that on tape from earl thomas...

and i don't see how if dez bryant character has checked out fine with this regime they'd choose earl thomas over bryant or graham...

berry bryant or graham...one of them 3 needs to be a dolphin...if one of these 3 are on the board and we don't take them i'm gonna be quite pissed

akfinfan
04-07-2010, 05:03 AM
I want Dez Bryant too...I think we would be fine Hamlin if we signed him at Safety, but if we didn't draft Bryant I would want us to somehow draft Golden Tate from ND or M.Williams from GT. I think all three of those guys are playmakers at WR.

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Mayock who I think is one of the best at what he does had him or has him ahead of Berry

MiZFiT
04-07-2010, 05:05 AM
I want Dez Bryant too...I think we would be fine Hamlin if we signed him at Safety, but if we didn't draft Bryant I would want us to somehow draft Golden Tate from ND or M.Williams from GT. I think all three of those guys are playmakers at WR.

I would also throw Demaryius Thomas in with those recievers.

SebasMiamiFan
04-07-2010, 05:06 AM
I would also throw Demaryius Thomas in with those recievers.
Something tells me we go WR in the 2nd round.

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:07 AM
good for mayock...i think its crazy talk...nothing against earl thomas either but berry is the total package...

MiZFiT
04-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Something tells me we go WR in the 2nd round.

I agree and i think D. Thomas is a great pick-up in the 2nd.

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 05:10 AM
good for mayock...i think its crazy talk...nothing against earl thomas either but berry is the total package...

Ever since Jason Allen & Eddie Moore every time I hear talk of the Fins drafting a Tennessee player, I **** bricks. Let me remind you Gibril Wilson is a Tennessee alum. Jared Mayo who was a beast his rookie year stunk it up this year. I don't know I worry about the talent the school produces, maybe all in my head.

miami71
04-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Looks a little small to me! A cb playing safety! His highlights look good, just don't compare his with C.J. Spiller. Not even close to being on the same talent level! Berry,Dez or C.J. with pick 12

SebasMiamiFan
04-07-2010, 05:12 AM
I agree and i think D. Thomas is a great pick-up in the 2nd.
I wouldn't mind that at all, but I'd rather get Tate or Benn.

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:12 AM
Ever since Jason Allen & Eddie Moore every time I hear talk of the Fins drafting a Tennessee player, I **** bricks.

dude jason allen and his bum hip prior to the draft and eddie moore who i think everyone was like who the hell is that when he was picked...they both can't sniff eric berry

i'm gonna **** bricks also if we get eric berry...bricks of pure elation!!!

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2010, 05:13 AM
the difference between ed reed and earl thomas for me is that while ed reed isn't the most physical player he will get physical with the ball in the air...i don't see that on tape from earl thomas...

and i don't see how if dez bryant character has checked out fine with this regime they'd choose earl thomas over bryant or graham...

berry bryant or graham...one of them 3 needs to be a dolphin...if one of these 3 are on the board and we don't take them i'm gonna be quite pissed

E. Thomas was as productive as any player in college football last season. 8 picks, two returned for TD's. And, I've seen him light up receivers.

Skip to 1:15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_tq6nqCPU

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:15 AM
with these reports that ronnie brown may not be right til november i can see his trade value completely shot thus i can't see them taking spiller at #12...as much as i'd like to...if ronnie isn't being dealt i don't see how we can take spiller...

but i sure would like to have him...

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 05:16 AM
with these reports that ronnie brown may not be right til november i can see his trade value completely shot thus i can't see them taking spiller at #12...as much as i'd like to...if ronnie isn't being dealt i don't see how we can take spiller...

but i sure would like to have him...

Where did you read that?

DzakkH13
04-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Thomas would be a very good pick at 12. I would to see us trade down and possibly still get him, but we shall see in a few weeks.

Fin_Frenzy_84
04-07-2010, 05:18 AM
If Dez does not fall then he is are pick...

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Please post Draft topics in the Draft forum.

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:26 AM
E. Thomas was as productive as any player in college football last season. 8 picks, two returned for TD's. And, I've seen him light up receivers.

Skip to 1:15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_tq6nqCPU

i never questioned his productivity...you showed me one highlight of where he made a hit with the ball in the air down the field...

he has exceptional eye popping closing speed but i just don't see a guy who brings physical play with the ball in the air down the field on tape...

and i swear that guy played at 190 lbs max...despite what others think that's my take...

so for me i'm looking at a 5 ft 10 195 lb playing weight to me in the pros safety who doesn't really get physical on vertical routes...that's not worth pick #12 in this draft for me...too much finesse to me down the field...

not over berry bryant or graham...one of which should be available at our pick

in a trade down between 15 and 20 yeah i'd be interested in him...

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Where did you read that?

i could have sworn i read it on here multiple times...today

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 05:28 AM
i never questioned his productivity...you showed me one highlight of where he made a hit with the ball in the air down the field...

he has exceptional eye popping closing speed but i just don't see a guy who brings physical play with the ball in the air down the field on tape...

and i swear that guy played at 190 lbs max...despite what others think that's my take...

so for me i'm looking at a 5 ft 10 195 lb playing weight to me in the pros safety who doesn't really get physical on vertical routes...that's not worth pick #12 in this draft for me...too much finesse to me down the field...

LoL, Hoos do you like any prospect?

MiZFiT
04-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Please post Draft topics in the Draft forum.

This is Dolphin related information. Im not saying we should draft him, I was letting everyone know he is visiting the Dolphin facility.

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:33 AM
LoL, Hoos do you like any prospect?

yes i do...i like berry bryant and graham at #12...like them very much...like spiller also like ryan matthews in round 1

like hughes as a top 20 player underrated...like arrelius benn as a first round talent...like jermaine gresham at te

i like earl thomas and dan williams as top 20 players...i'd take earl over williams though

if you don't want to hear my take just put me on iggy...i've watched plenty of tape/combine workouts etc the last 4 months to be making my calls on these guys...

i'm not a kindle fan anywhere in round 1...but i could certainly see him at #43...i'm not a cam thomas fan anywhere in the top 2 rounds at least off the game tape i've seen he doesn't validate it...plenty of guys i don't like...

but they're just my opinions off of my study...

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2010, 05:36 AM

Fair enough. When I think of the most important traits in a FS, E. Thomas excels - is as good or better than Berry at each. Berry does enough other things exceptionally well for me to still rate him slightly ahead of Thomas. But, I think we must have a different list of "most important traits in a FS." I also love Graham and have been loving Graham, but I'd likely take Thomas over Graham.

miamiron
04-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Jared Mayo who was a beast his rookie year stunk it up this year.

Mayo was injuried the 2nd,3rd,and 4th game of the season and I wish Crowder could stink it up like Mayo did this season 103 tackles in 13 games.
Mayo was real stinky with
24 tackles against us in 2 games

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Fair enough. When I think of the most important traits in a FS, E. Thomas excels - is as good or better than Berry at each. Berry does enough other things exceptionally well for me to still rate him slightly ahead of Thomas. But, I think we must have a different list of "most important traits in a FS." I also love Graham and have been loving Graham, but I'd likely take Thomas over Graham.

i think in a lot of recent drafts i could justify earl thomas as the #12 pick...but not this one...i think this draft is gonna have some real nfl studs come out of it...

earl thomas may well be one but i like some other guys overall game more...

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 05:51 AM
yes i do...i like berry bryant and graham at #12...like them very much...like spiller also like ryan matthews in round 1

like hughes as a top 20 player underrated...like arrelius benn as a first round talent...like jermaine gresham at te

i like earl thomas and dan williams as top 20 players...i'd take earl over williams though

if you don't want to hear my take just put me on iggy...i've watched plenty of tape/combine workouts etc the last 4 months to be making my calls on these guys...

i'm not a kindle fan anywhere in round 1...but i could certainly see him at #43...i'm not a cam thomas fan anywhere in the top 2 rounds at least off the game tape i've seen he doesn't validate it...plenty of guys i don't like...

but they're just my opinions off of my study...

Hoo Im just busting your balls, lol. Your opinion is well respected around here. You spend a ton of time on this site, why dont you become our draft guru.

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Mayo was injuried the 2nd,3rd,and 4th game of the season and I wish Crowder could stink it up like Mayo did this season 103 tackles in 13 games.
Mayo was real stinky with
24 tackles against us in 2 games

Talk is he lost a step, Im not saying he sucks.

AceofSpades
04-07-2010, 05:52 AM
The reason why Mayock has Thomas rated over Berry is because of the way that NFL offenses have changed in recent years. The passing game has become more and more emphasized in recent years. Mayock - whose opinions I have a great deal of respect for - sees Thomas as the most instinctive "center fielder" at the safety position in years. This kind of skill set is ideal for battling teams that like to put the ball in the air a lot.

There's no doubt that Berry hits like a ton of bricks, and that Thomas doesn't match him in that department. This is not irrelevant because we play in the same division as the Jets, and a safety who is good at playing in the box and supporting the run defense is important against the Jets. But we also play in a division with the Patriots, who throw the ball constantly. The Trifecta's evaluation of how much they like Thomas will rest a lot on what they expect from safeties in their defense.

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 05:55 AM
oh yeah and i don't like demarious thomas anywhere in the top 45 picks...too many questions that i don't have answers for there...

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 06:01 AM
You as much crap as our receivers get they did move the chains last year and fins did not have problem putting up points. Do we need a #1 WR, no doubt. Our biggest problem last season was not our WR, our biggest problem was our ILB and FS could not cover for ****.

Ace your point is as solid as they come, this is a pass happy league and Thomas or Berry our the way we should go. Do I love Bryant & Spiller, yes. Can Dan Williams anchor our defense, probably. Is Graham on my wish list, absolutely. This is draft is not about what we want, it is about what we need. Safety is our biggest need and if you don't think so, just look at what the Fins were willing to pay Rolle.

I know you guys will say we low balled Rolle, but a six year 32 million deal was no low ball offer.

FinAtic8480
04-07-2010, 06:01 AM
oh yeah and i don't like demarious thomas anywhere in the top 45 picks...too many questions that i don't have answers for there...

agreed, my friend.

newlownorder
04-07-2010, 06:05 AM
A) still should be posted in draft forum

B) I honestly don't know what bringing in a guy a 3rd time does. You either know by now he's the guy or he isn't.

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2010, 06:08 AM
The reason why Mayock has Thomas rated over Berry is because of the way that NFL offenses have changed in recent years. The passing game has become more and more emphasized in recent years. Mayock - whose opinions I have a great deal of respect for - sees Thomas as the most instinctive "center fielder" at the safety position in years. This kind of skill set is ideal for battling teams that like to put the ball in the air a lot.

There's no doubt that Berry hits like a ton of bricks, and that Thomas doesn't match him in that department. This is not irrelevant because we play in the same division as the Jets, and a safety who is good at playing in the box and supporting the run defense is important against the Jets. But we also play in a division with the Patriots, who throw the ball constantly. The Trifecta's evaluation of how much they like Thomas will rest a lot on what they expect from safeties in their defense.

Great points. But, if you're putting your FS in the box, you're talking about 9 in the box. Even against the Jets, 9 in the box is a bit much. But, this is exactly what I was addressing when saying that Thomas does all the things that I consider most important in FS as good or better than Berry.

miami234ever
04-07-2010, 07:04 AM
1. Berry
2. Bryant
3. Thomas
4. Morgan/Graham

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2010, 07:10 AM
1. Berry
2. Bryant
3. Thomas
4. Morgan/Graham

That's my exact top 4 - except I have just Graham, no Morgan.

DefensiveEnd76
04-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Although I love Earl Thomas, I can't help but wonder why our FO would be so repeatedly & obviously (publicly) interested in him.

I really think we want to drum up interest in him to be able to trade down and pick up more draft picks

Phinatic8u
04-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Damn 3 times means something.

TrinidadDolfan
04-08-2010, 12:19 AM

I wonder what film they watched?

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

or...

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

or....

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/efny-1.jpg

FinAtic8480
04-08-2010, 01:45 AM
NFL
Dolphins appear in love with Texas ex Thomas
The Miami Dolphins have already met with Texas safety Earl Thomas twice while evaluating prospects for the NFL draft, and Thomas is now getting a third opportunity to charm the team's decision makers. Thomas will begin a two-day visit with the Dolphins today. Miami has the No. 12 pick in the first round. Later in the week, Thomas will spend two days in Cincinnati.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/dolphins-appear-in-love-with-earl-thomas-531893.html

Phinatic8u
04-08-2010, 03:10 AM
Watching film means alot especially with Sporano & Ireland.

D-bolt
04-08-2010, 03:21 AM
dude jason allen and his bum hip prior to the draft and eddie moore who i think everyone was like who the hell is that when he was picked...they both can't sniff eric berry

i'm gonna **** bricks also if we get eric berry...bricks of pure elation!!!

I'll get you guys some bulk Prep-H after you get done with those bricks!

finfan54
04-08-2010, 06:01 AM

Best reply so far IMO.

I say we need a guy with speed who can cover the centerfield while our stud CB's ride them most of the way.

Smarts, speed, instincts, agility to play the ball in the air. Mayock is right about offenses in league. Nolan wants a good centerfielder.

To me, it comes down to 4 players:
1. Eric Berry
2. Earl Thomas
3. Morgan
4. Dan Williams