PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld nugget on Dez/Phins

rayfinkle5
04-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Came from the Herald but here is the rotoworld link:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5558

One scout picking for a team after the Dolphins at No. 12 acknowledged that the criticism of Dez Bryant has been overblown.
Bryant has never been arrested, and the scout believes his game film speaks for itself. While Oklahoma State coaches have conceded that Bryant is "gullible and had time-management issues," they maintain that he is not a character problem. According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Bill Parcells "loves being a mentor" and is "very close" with Bryant's agent, but the Dolphins may not be willing to "pull the trigger."

MadDog 88
04-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Good point in the Herald article that after 12, there may be no other WR available with the potential of being a no 1 before pick 43.

I also believe this is Irelands trigger to pull and that he may be more ready then Parcells ever has been about taking a WR this high.

MiamiDolfan85
04-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Im confused....wheres the news?

RealDriscoll
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Well it's saying that there is mutual interest between the Dolphins and Dez Bryant. The Dolphins are high on Dez, Jared Odrick, Earl Thomas, Brandon Graham, and Sergio Kindle from everything I have been hearing. I don't think we are as interested in Dan Williams, NT of Tennessee, like everyone thinks. Earl Thomas starts his 2nd visit with the team today; Dez Bryant was here for 2 days; I'd be surprised if one of the players above were not our pick

RealDriscoll
04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Also I know that a lot of people wouldn't be happy with the Jared Odrick pick b/c it's not as sexy as Dez Bryant or Earl Thomas but Odrick is a hell of a player

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Berry
Bryant
Thomas
Graham

That's my order.

outlawd2u
04-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Berry
Bryant
Thomas
Graham

That's my order.

Mine too... followed by Spiller, Kindle, and Weatherspoon

datruth55
04-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Just for kicks, what if the draft went like this:

1. St. Louis - Sam Bradford QB (seems the most likely pick at this point)

2. Detroit - Ndamukong Suh DT (Need to build that defense, could also grab an OT)

3. Tampa Bay - Gerald McCoy DT (been trying to get a DT for 3 seasons now)

4. Washington - Russell Okung OT (need to protect their new QB, will probably grab a WR with their next pick)

5. Kansas City - Brian Bulaga OT (Pioli doesn't like taking safeties early, Ferenz is friends with Pioli so Pioli will know everything about Bulaga and they need to protect their QB who was hurt too often last year)

6. Seattle - Trent Williams OT (with Carroll moving to a zone blocking scheme Williams is a good fit. They will probably go WR with their 14th pick).

7. Cleveland - Jimmy Clausen QB (No way they go into next season with Delhomme as the starter and Seneca Wallace the backup. Homlgren is an offensive mind and he wants to pass the ball...he needs a QB to make it happen).

8. Oakland - Bruce Campbell OT (Raiders need an OT and Campbell turned in a great workout....that's all you need for Al Davis)

9. Buffalo - Dan Williams NT (they would love to grab an OT since their RT retired at 26 and they have no LT but with the other OTs off the board and their move to the 3-4 defense they need a NT)

10. Jacksonville - Derrick Morgan DE (14 total sacks last season, enough said)

11. Denver - Rolando McClain ILB (they'll continue to build the defense so it can last the season.)

That leaves Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant and Eric Berry for us to choose from. Who do you take?

TheBow305
04-07-2010, 06:17 PM

2. Detroit - Ndamukong Suh DT (Need to build that defense, could also grab an OT)

4. Washington - Russell Okung OT (need to protect their new QB, will probably grab a WR with their next pick)

5. Kansas City - Brian Bulaga OT (Pioli doesn't like taking safeties early, Ferenz is friends with Pioli so Pioli will know everything about Bulaga and they need to protect their QB who was hurt to often last year)
6. Seattle - Trent Williams OT (with Carroll moving to a zone blocking scheme Williams is a good fit. They will probably go WR with their 14th pick).

7. Cleveland - Jimmy Clausen QB (No way they go into next season with Delhomme as the starter and Seneca Wallace the backup. Homlgren is an offensive mind and he wants to pass the ball...he needs a QB to make it happen).

8. Oakland - Bruce Campbell OT (Raiders need an OT and Campbell turned in a great workout....that's all you need for Al Davis)

9. Buffalo - Dan Williams NT (they would love to grab an OT since their RT retired at 26 and they have no LT but with the other OTs off the board and their move to the 3-4 defense they need a NT)

11. Denver - Rolando McClain ILB (they'll continue to build the defense so it can last the season.)

That leaves Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant and Eric Berry for us to choose from. Who do you take?

Berry, no question.

foozool13
04-07-2010, 06:45 PM

5. Kansas City - Brian Bulaga OT (Pioli doesn't like taking safeties early, Ferenz is friends with Pioli so Pioli will know everything about Bulaga and they need to protect their QB who was hurt to often last year)

I actually like Thomas more than Berry, BUT in that scenario I'd take Dez Bryant. Safeties can be found later in this particularly draft (I REALLY like Robert Johnson from UTAH late in the draft)...We don't need a GAME CHANGING safety, we just need one that knows how to play the position unlike Gerbil. BUT we do need a GAME CHANGING WR and looking at the 2011 Draft there really isn't another Dez Bryant type player at WR in there.

Dmarino110
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I actually like Thomas more than Berry, BUT in that scenario I'd take Dez Bryant. Safeties can be found later in this particularly draft (I REALLY like Robert Johnson from UTAH late in the draft)...We don't need a GAME CHANGING safety, we just need one that knows how to play the position unlike Gerbil. BUT we do need a GAME CHANGING WR and looking at the 2011 Draft there really isn't another Dez Bryant type player at WR in there.
safety is a need but we need a WR that Henne can blossom with. Would marino have had his 84 season with this current group of WRs?

Once again this is a past 1st league, the rules make it illegal to talk mean to the Qbs these days. Corners cannot man handle Wrs like they used to be able to ......

WR will make the biggest impact on this team with the #1 pick IMO

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Berry slightly edges out Bryant.

qmar
04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
safety is a need but we need a WR that Henne can blossom with. Would marino have had his 84 season with this current group of WRs?

Once again this is a past 1st league, the rules make it illegal to talk mean to the Qbs these days. Corners cannot man handle Wrs like they used to be able to ......

I take the Safety based on your rationale and I will add some more points.

- Corners can't man handle WR's - Therefore the need for 2 good safety amplifies

- Pass 1st league - run stuffing / tackling safety is not as critical. Ball hawking safety will have a huge impact on a defense in this era.

additional points
- We are a run 1st team, however you want to slice it. With the wildcat and the depth we have at RB, this is a team that will ball control you to death. We need a good defense and an elite safety will only help. If this is such a pass 1st league, living in Philly, why do I continue to hear fans/talk show hosts/analysts complaining about Andy Reid and the fact that they need to have a more ball control offense. The grass is always greener, that's all I will say here.

- An elite safety can have such a huge impact to a defense. While the Steelers and Ravens D's ended up fairing pretty well for the year, while Troy and Ed were out, their defenses struggled mightily. Those two players make their defenses so much better. Maybe Berry or Thomas will never be the caliber of Troy or Ed, but they will certainly be far better then Gibril Wilson.

ckparrothead
04-07-2010, 07:26 PM

This is what really entices me about Dez is getting he and Henne to have chemistry together and really get to know one another. Dez and Zac Robinson had amazing chemistry together and it produced 23 TDs in 16 games from 2008-2009.

Aqua and Orange
04-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Berry
Bryant
Thomas
Graham

That's my order.

Mine too, with Spiller after Graham. I'm going to be crossing my fingers on draft day that either Berry or Bryant drop out of the top 11. If they do, and the Dolphins don't pick them, I think I will need to purchase a new TV after I kick mine in.

rayfinkle5
04-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Im confused....wheres the news?

I agree, you are confused! I am not sure what your expectation of this thread was but I was clearly sharing a "Rotoworld nugget on Dez/Phins", as the title states. Let me know if any of this confuses you. Thanks.

hooshoops
04-07-2010, 10:30 PM

berry...

#1dolphinsfan
04-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Hopfully he is a dolphin come april 22

#1dolphinsfan
04-07-2010, 10:32 PM

A lot of people arnt going to agree with me on this but i would go Dez Bryant and then draft Nate Allen in the second round

outlawd2u
04-07-2010, 11:45 PM
A lot of people arnt going to agree with me on this but i would go Dez Bryant and then draft Nate Allen in the second round

I'd actually agree with you. I have been saying all along that Berry is the pick no matter what if he falls to #12 but after thinking and thinking about it I just think Dez Bryant should be the guy. I wouldn't be sad in the slightest however if Berry was picked over Bryant.

finfan54
04-08-2010, 06:09 AM
WR is not our problem.

AllFinsAllDay
04-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I really want the draft to hurry up and get here.

ckparrothead
04-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Dez Bryant is solidly on the Dolphins' draft board. I don't know how high relative to some others. We have inside word that they've moved off character issues for Dez and now it's strictly about the tape and whether he showed football intelligence on the tape. We have another scout talking about how the character issues with Dez are way overblown.

Daniel Jeremiah recently pointed this out...but Percy Harvin and DeSean Jackson were the last two "big time" WRs he can think of that fell down the board due to character issues, and both have turned out pretty good. And yet, he says Dez Bryant's issues aren't even close to the same level as those two.

hooshoops
04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
that's music to my ears...bryant is solidly on our draft board...

PhinsTD
04-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Berry or Bryant, and I couldn't be happier. Both are elite talents, at positions of massive need, and their skills fit exactly what we need to improve on.

Is there really a better scenario than having a chance to add one of the two, then have the entire night to assess what they'd like to do with their plan from there. Including being able to decide if there is a player available we'd like to trade up and grab.

tay0365
04-09-2010, 01:20 AM
I was big on going defense 1st, after all, it was defense that killed us last year, not offense, but the idea of Henne throwing to Dez would be awesome, and like a good domino effect, it would make Ginn much more dangerous, making our running game even scarier, which would finally make it easier on our defense.

Besides, we will still find what we need talent wise at O-LB or FS in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but we will be lucky to get someone close to as good as Dez in the 2nd or 3rd...yes that includes Mike Williams, nice talent, dangerous head case.