PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins interested in FSU LB Dekoda Watson

FinAtic8480
04-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Speedy Florida State linebacker Dekoda Watson is steadily rising on NFL teams' draft boards.
According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Watson is of particularly high interest to the Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins and the Oakland Raiders.
Watson is one of the most athletic players in the NFL draft. Most NFL teams regard him as a true weakside linebacker.
The 6-foot-2, 226-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 and 4.46 seconds at his Pro Day workout. He dropped 14 pounds since the NFL scouting combine.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Dekoda-Watson-in-demand.html

DKphin
04-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Overrated

Phinfan31
04-08-2010, 02:57 AM
coming from a gator...lol. keep your comments to yourself regarding FSU players. obviously too much bias

SR 7
04-08-2010, 03:02 AM
ok and he is giong to do what at 226 for us?

SQuinn17
04-08-2010, 03:12 AM
special teams?

D-bolt
04-08-2010, 03:16 AM

Probably Roids or HGH, but he'll have to talk to Ferg first

DKphin
04-08-2010, 03:17 AM
coming from a gator...lol. keep your comments to yourself regarding FSU players. obviously too much bias
His measurables do not match his production.:err:

VT Dolphan
04-08-2010, 03:17 AM
No thanks. Undersized. If we draft him for special teams only, it will be a waste of a pick, because it will likely take a 3rd rounder if not better.

TedSlimmJr
04-08-2010, 03:32 AM
He was 240 at the combine.....226 for his pro day...

He done this to show teams that he CAN add weight (or drop it) to show his scheme versatility...whether it's a Tampa-2 scheme (226) or inside in a 3-4 scheme (240)...

Could probably even get up to 245 after a year or so in the NFL and still maintain his 4.5 speed...

He is perhaps slightly overrated as a prospect....but his athletic ability and upside isn't just good....it's fabulous..... This is the type of linebacker that many teams will covet...trust me...

Mickey Andrews hasn't maximized any FSU defensive players talent in years...

ckparrothead
04-08-2010, 03:36 AM
He wasn't overrated a month ago, suddenly he is. The rating has changed maybe but the talent has, he's a good player IMO...better than Jamar Chaney.

Elliott 1
04-08-2010, 03:53 AM
I wouldn't reach for him. He would be good value in the mid rounds.

MiamiDolfan85
04-08-2010, 04:12 AM
a 4.4 for a player like this is Lawrence Taylor-esque(not comparing the two)....could be what Parcells & co. sees in him....a great pass rushing threat....would need to put on at least 7-9 lbs. tho....

PhinsTD
04-08-2010, 06:52 PM
He's an explosive athlete. To fill a specific niche, I'd be all for him. I don't view him as a 3 down ILB'er, or big enough to set the edge at OLB'er, and I doubt the Phins do either.

For those more familiar, how are his coverage skills? I think his best skill is rushing the passer off the edge.

hooshoops
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
he moved pretty well at the combine...impressive in drills...i'd take him over chaney but for me that's not saying much...

matt11390
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM

What about Safety?

ckparrothead
04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I have zero doubt that the Fins would move him inside.

What they're looking at in guys like Dekoda Watson and Daryl Washington, and to the extent they're also interested in Jamar Chaney, is guys that are able to play three-down football at the NFL level, and who might LEARN to be able to deal with blockers on the interior.

It's the upside thing. Guys like Brandon Spikes and Micah Johnson, you know they can bang around the middle and make some plays but they're not three-down players and they'll never be three-down players. Guys like Jamar Chaney, Daryl Washington and Dekoda Watson can definitely play on passing downs, and there's nothing about them that physically precludes them from being able to learn to also make plays banging around the inside on first and second down.

I really, really like Dekoda Watson. I don't know what round they're thinking about drafting him but I do believe you'll always find a role for him. If Daryl Washington were to miraculously fall to #43, you could immediately plug him in on passing downs over Channing Crowder, just like how Mike Nolan subbed out Andra Davis for Wesley Woodyard. If you were to draft Dekoda Watson in the third round or if he miraculously made it to the fourth round, you could do the same with him. Both guys could work their way toward making Crowder expendable on those first and second down defenses, as well. I guess you could do the same with Jamar Chaney, I'm just not the biggest fan.

PhinsTD
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I've been thinking Edds with our 4th due to his coverage ability. Do you like Watson better? I've thought Watson's size would be an issue, but he showed he CAN put on weight at the combine, and we only need him for the niche the first year.

j-off-her-doll
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Would love Watson in the 4th, but the way I see it, we'll be looking either OLB or FS in the 3rd. Washington is a special player, so I'd consider him in the 2nd. He the type of talent that you alter your draft plans to pick up. But, I'm sure they're looking at a ton of options, so maybe Watson in the 3rd could work.

nolefin
04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
watson is stud, he can be at 245lbs quick, he is ripped up and has ran 4.4 people say ohh he is small, he is 6'1-6'2 (same as brandon graham) he is a little lighter but he runs a legit 4.5 i think we will draft him in the 3rd.

ckparrothead
04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I've been thinking Edds with our 4th due to his coverage ability. Do you like Watson better? I've thought Watson's size would be an issue, but he showed he CAN put on weight at the combine, and we only need him for the niche the first year.

Strictly speaking I would rank A.J. Edds ahead of Dekoda Watson. But not by much and in part because I think much more highly of Edds than a lot of folks do.

MP-Omnis
04-08-2010, 10:52 PM
During what round is this guy expected to go? I would be all over it if he's a UDFA.

hooshoops
04-08-2010, 10:58 PM
i would scoop edds up in a second over watson...if i was gonna use a top 4 round pick on an ilb

mfish41
04-08-2010, 10:59 PM
i've watched him play for 3 years now up here, he's not moving inside if drafted. he's an absolute beast of a pass rusher and is pretty good in coverage. i know fsu's defense didn't play well this year, but it wasn't because of watson. Pound for pound he may be the best athlete in the draft and he'll be a hell of a pass rusher in a 3-4. i'd be very excited if we took him in the 3rd.

ckparrothead
04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
He's going to have to move inside if he wants to play in this defense.

I guarantee they're not looking at him as a 3-4 OLB. Guarantee it.

mfish41
04-08-2010, 11:26 PM
He's going to have to move inside if he wants to play in this defense.

I guarantee they're not looking at him as a 3-4 OLB. Guarantee it.

well one of us will be wrong, i think he's a 3-4 olb. the only way we'll find out is if we draft him.

TedSlimmJr
04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
He'll be moved inside in a 3-4 defense....remember it...write it down...take a picture...whatever..

datruth55
04-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I would imagine Dekoda Watson being another Lawrence Timmons (of the Steelers) in the 3-4. Take that however you want to.

bigchub22
04-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Guy can fly around on the field that is for sure...even though we got spanked it was fun watchin him catch Gators players from behind. One hell of an athlete is all I know.