PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt thinks Sergio Kindle could be the pick

FinAtic8480
04-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Now 77, the former Cowboys VP of Player Personnel (1960-89) is still going strong in his current role. A longtime confidante of Bill Parcells, Brandt had this to say when I asked him to forecast the Miami Dolphins’ pick at No. 12:

“I know I’m going to be wrong, but I think it would be Sergio Kindle,” Brandt said. “I think Kindle can play with his hand on the ground and rush the passer, and I think he can also drop into space. I don’t think you’d be moving out of a plateau to get Kindle.

“I think all you have to do is look and see what Kindle did against Alabama in the national championship game and you automatically fall in love with him.”

That said, Brandt has Kindle (and Bryant, for that matter) in his 21-30 “plateau” on his Hot 100. He doesn’t rank players slot by slot, but rather in groups of 10 or so, based on their relative abilities. (Similar to how he ranked them for the Cowboys for three decades.)

Take this for what it’s worth, but Brandt is now the second NFL-employed draft analyst with strong Parcells ties to predict Kindle, the former Texas linebacker, to the Dolphins. The first was Mike Mayock, the former Giants safety in the early Parcells years in the Meadowlands.

Hmm.

Yeah, I know, Kindle has had some problems behind the wheel, and a team going through some embarrassing offseason troubles in that area (Ronnie Brown/Will Allen) might want to avoid inviting more public backlash with such a selection.

But still, hmm.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/04/another-vote-for-sergio-kindle-to-the-miami-dolphins.html

JT-forpresident
04-08-2010, 06:41 AM
interesting ...

it's funny how so many "experts" see kindle as the pick, while many (i'm talking 90% or more ) dolphin fans don't see him as a possibility...

( the names that lurk around on finheaven are thomas, graham, spiller, bryant, williams, for the most part)

finfan54
04-08-2010, 06:51 AM
I would have no problem with Kindle as the pick. I think he has the size and can do it all. His off field probs wont bother Parcells cus he is a LB and as long as he kept clean since, then all will be forgotten, cus he is a LB.

LT was a huge cocaine snorter.

Aqua and Orange
04-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Kindle at 12?

:puke:

If that's our pick I seriously hope we trade down.

SRM
04-08-2010, 07:48 AM
The thing is, we're drafting for SOLB. Kindle is definitely not that guy.

newlownorder
04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
People who like Kindle have not watched any film on him and only make their assumptions because he fits the size criteria the Parcells likes.

VT Dolphan
04-08-2010, 07:52 AM
43? sure.

12? :bobdole:

Phin-Phan 66
04-08-2010, 08:01 AM
I hope Gil is wrong

hemidemon
04-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Yes he is. He would be a very good pick.

Mr. Magoo
04-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Wouldn't shock me, though it would upset me.

#1dolphinsfan
04-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Wouldnt be the worst pick at 12 but i would rather go somewhere else

Scout72
04-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Brandon Graham!:hclap:

JT-forpresident
04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I would have no problem with Kindle as the pick. I think he has the size and can do it all. His off field probs wont bother Parcells cus he is a LB and as long as he kept clean since, then all will be forgotten, cus he is a LB.

LT was a huge cocaine snorter.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/RickJamesCocaine-1.jpg

TheBow305
04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
People who like Kindle have not watched any film on him and only make their assumptions because he fits the size criteria the Parcells likes.

Yeah, I'm sure guys like Gil Brandt and Mike Mayock know nothing about what Parcells likes. You are right. :rolleyes2:

HurriPhin
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I really like Kindle and I'm still a big fan of McClain despite the Dansby signing. I'm not a fan of Graham as I think he is too short, big and slow to be a stand up player (OLB) in the NFL nor do I think Morgan has the athleticism to do the same. I would be very satisfied with either Kindle, McClain, Williams or even Sapp at #12. Of course if Berry is there, it's a no brainer.

greasyObnoxious
04-08-2010, 01:06 PM

we're not necessarily looking at SOLB prospects only. both OLB positions are question marks. i, for one, am not totally sold we have a WOLB in Wake.

ckparrothead
04-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Kindle at #12 would put some people on suicide watch.

But keep something in mind. The reason Gil Brandt gave the disclaimer that he's probably wrong is because last year he "knew" that the Dolphins were going to take Clay Matthews. Clay was available, but they took Vontae Davis. So I think Gil has to recognize that just because a guy looks like what he considers to be a Bill Parcells player through and through, that doesn't mean Miami takes him.

Sergio reminds me of a less agile, less polished Clay Matthews.

PhinsTD
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I think Clay Mathews has some concerns moving forward, who was picked 26th off memory. To hear CK say he thinks Kindle is a lesser prospect to him, and to hear there is a chance we'd take him 12th overall would ruin my day to see it happen.

Kindle in the 30's? Absolutely. Not at 12 though, not with some of the people that will be there available.

newlownorder
04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
If you doubt my post then please for the love of anything holy just watch the film on him and come back here and tell me again that you think he's worth a 1st round pick. Highly likely that you will come back here eating crow. FILM DOES NOT LIE!

JCfinfan
04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I pray we do not take Kindle at 12. The thing that scares me is Gill Brandt has a good relationship with Parcells and they speak often.

ckparrothead
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I think Clay Mathews has some concerns moving forward, who was picked 26th off memory. To hear CK say he thinks Kindle is a lesser prospect to him, and to hear there is a chance we'd take him 12th overall would ruin my day to see it happen.

Kindle in the 30's? Absolutely. Not at 12 though, not with some of the people that will be there available.

Well keep in mind that if the 2009 draft were re-held today, Clay Matthews would be a top 10 pick. So just because Sergio is a lesser prospect, that doesn't necessarily mean lesser than #26.

It's always important to learn from your mistakes, self-assess and adjust. The NFL missed on Clay Matthews a year ago. If Sergio Kindle is like a Clay Matthews but less polished and with less agility, then you don't base his value on what everyone thought Matthews was coming out...you base it on what you know Matthews to be now that he's been in the NFL.

hooshoops
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM
i hear the clay matthews comparisons but clay matthews was absolutely beautiful in lb drills at the combine a year ago...i mean lit it up...i don't think matthews has the stiff hips or cod issues that sergio kindle does...and i don't think that kindle is as an explosive a player as matthews is when turning the corner as a pass rusher...

matthews would just destroy guys with the quickness and explosive speed off the edge this year...i do think that kindle and matthews have the same high effort all the time motor

aj13
04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
if they say graham...then graham it is...

showstopper
04-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Mr. Brandt, thank you for the red-herring, we owe you one.

TheBow305
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I don't know how you can watch Sergio Kindle in the NC game and NOT think he is a Top 20 pick. He was an animal in that game! He's definitely worth the 12th pick, but it's up to the bosses.

finfan54
04-11-2010, 04:27 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if we end up with 3 LB's in this draft with one middle type guy.

But I tend to think either Kindle is at the rear end of our short list or just off it. But who knows? If Graham ends up gone before us. He enters picture IMO and especially if we were to trade down.

j-off-her-doll
04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Think a lot of people rated Kindle high because Mayock did. I found myself questioning my criticisms, but eventually, I settled into the state of mind that I'd rather trust my own eyes - rather than blindly following anyone, even Mayock.

But, recently, Mayock has Kindle following below B. Graham as a prospect - though, he has Graham as a DE. But, Kindle went from 7 to 17 or 18 on his big board. I think he'd rate him lower if he hadn't rated him so highly.

Xeticus
04-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Well keep in mind that if the 2009 draft were re-held today, Clay Matthews would be a top 10 pick. So just because Sergio is a lesser prospect, that doesn't necessarily mean lesser than #26.

It's always important to learn from your mistakes, self-assess and adjust. The NFL missed on Clay Matthews a year ago. If Sergio Kindle is like a Clay Matthews but less polished and with less agility, then you don't base his value on what everyone thought Matthews was coming out...you base it on what you know Matthews to be now that he's been in the NFL.
CK two things. Who do you see as the best SOLB prospect in this draft?

And when are you guys at universal going to do a write up on Brandon Graham. I've been chomping at the bit for your detailed analysis. I really liked what I saw of him at the Senior Bowl think he might be a great pick up at #12 for us.

X-Pacolypse
04-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Meh. I would have a hard time getting excited about Kindle.