PDA

View Full Version : Why Bryant should be the pick

matt11390
04-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Watching the NFL Network's "State of the Franchise" on Miami last night and it confirmed what most are saying. That Miami has three main positions of need to use the first pick on. They are WR, FS, and OLB. Some could also include NT and RB but those two are much stronger currently than the first three.

Let me say that I would be happy with either position being our first pick but IMO Dez Bryant should be the first pick for this reason. Even though Miami has need at FS and OLB, the Dolphins currently have young talent at each position that can mature into those roles. I'm not saying we couldn't get better fast by drafting a stud at either one of those positions because we can, but realisticly Miami could find a stud in rounds two or three as well.

However, Dez Bryant is the only consensus #1 WR in this draft and Miami currently has NO ONE to fill that role on their roster. They have a few possible 2's and slot guys and good role players but absolutely no #1 on the team. So, if Bryant is there when Miami picks, IMO it's a no brainer he has to be the pick. They need a playmaker on offense so badly. Then in the second and third rounds they could pick an OLB and FS or vise versa depending on who's available at those picks.

VT Dolphan
04-08-2010, 10:47 PM
I would say that Clemons and Culver are no better prospects than Bess, or Hartline. I see what you're saying, there certainly doesn't seem to be any future #1 wideouts on our roster, but I don't really see any legitimate future starting caliber FS's on our roster right now either. I'd really hope that we wouldn't pass on Earl Thomas simply because we spent a 5th rounder on Clemons last year.

Yessir
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Bryant will NOT be there at 12. He'll be picked a few picks before. Book it.

dolphinsbshaw72
04-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Bryant or Thomas

matt11390
04-08-2010, 11:08 PM

That will change things no doubt. Most likely Thomas will be gone also which narrows it down to an OLB. My case is simply if Bryant is available when Miami picks. If not, then pick a WR in round 2 and hope to grab a #1 in next year's draft.

DanTheMan1980
04-08-2010, 11:15 PM
I think Bryant at 12 also. Its been to dam long since we have had a true#1Wr on are team. Now with that said i am not saying that defence does not need to be addressed. I just think that we take bryant at 12 and then go def in the next couple of rounds. We have a lot of young talent on this team. What we dont have is a big fast playmaker wr, and we have lacked that for many years now. I just think we are dew for a playmaker on the off side of the ball.

Aqua and Orange
04-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm with you guys on Bryant being the choice at 12, but I think it'll come down to him getting past the Browns and Jags (I think that unless Marshall is a draft day trade, Broncos go D).

Personally, I just hope this draft we don't pull any wildcard picks like the Pat White one. We all know what the holes on our team are, and we need to address them.

#1dolphinsfan
04-09-2010, 12:07 AM
I would love Bryant at 12

AquaAdrenaline
04-09-2010, 02:13 AM
I loved how Bryant lashed out at his critics last week (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-03-31-dez-bryant-reax_N.htm). I may disagree with some of the things he said but he seems very convincing in his quotes. Sure he could use some mentoring but he's heading into the draft with a chip on his shoulder and the draft hasn't even started yet.

"Any teams who don't draft me who think I have background problems or any of that, you're not going to draft me because of stuff that happened in my childhood? What about now? What's been going on with Dez now? "

Elliott 1
04-09-2010, 05:14 AM
Joe Webb is the man.

dr.jake
04-09-2010, 05:19 AM
respectively decline your premise.. number 12 should be rolando mcclain. no risk.big reward.

#1dolphinsfan
04-09-2010, 05:20 AM
there are only 2 teams i am worried about taking him and that is the Jags at 10 and the Broncos at 11 and i dont think either one will take him unless the Broncos do trade Brandon Marshall

matt11390
04-09-2010, 05:22 AM
respectively decline your premise.. number 12 should be rolando mcclain. no risk.big reward.

There's risk with McClain. There's a boom or bust with any pick.

#1dolphinsfan
04-09-2010, 05:22 AM
No risk? there is always a risk with a player and it has been said by some professionals that he is a two down ILB nothing more and you dont draft a two down ILB at 12 if we go ILB at 12 i would much rather have Sean Weatherspoon

dr.jake
04-09-2010, 05:35 AM
There's risk with McClain. There's a boom or bust with any pick.

the SEC is the best college football conference.4 starters can we all agree on this fact? if not jump off now.
rolando mcclain facts (wiki):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freshman year
As a true freshman in 2007 McClain started 8 of 13 games for the Crimson Tide, finishing fourth on the team in tackles with 75. He also recorded two interceptions and a sack and was a freshmen All-Southeastern Conference selection.
[edit]Sophomore year
As a sophomore in 2008 McClain recorded 95 tackles, three sacks, and an interception, earning Associated Press Third-team All-American honors. He was also a First-team All-SEC selection by the AP, Sporting News, league coaches and Phil Steele.
[edit]Junior year
For the 2009 season , Rolando had 105 total tackles including 14.5 tackles for loss. He also has 4 sacks, 14 QB hurries, 2 interceptions, 3 passes broken up, and a forced fumble. He was named FWAA National Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Kentucky in early October.[7] Later that month, he was named midseason All-American by Sporting News.[8] Following the SEC Championship Game, Rolando was named SEC Defensive Player of the Year and named First-team All-SEC.
On December 7, 2009, McClain was announced as the winner of the 2009 Lambert Award for the best collegiate linebacker.[9] He is the first Alabama linebacker to win the Lambert Award since its inception in 1991. A day later, he was also awarded the 2009 Dick Butkus Award, being only the second Crimson Tide player to do so (along with Derrick Thomas in 1988).[10] Rolando was also named 1st team All-American by Walter Camp, unanimous selection by the Associated Press, and AFCA. [11]
On January 11, 2010, several days after winning the BCS National Championship, McClain decided to forgo his senior year at Alabama and enter the 2010 NFL Draft.[12]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the dude is a player and the best linebacker in this draft. if rolando mcclain is on the board and eric berry is gone (given) you grab mcclain.also IMO second round jerry hughes.(maybe pouncey if he's still on board.) just my thoughts.
[edit]

rent this space
04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
I have read that Bryant, Thomas and Benn all could develop into #1 WRs. the problem is that Bryant may be gone by the 12th pick and both Benn and Thomas could be gone by #43

finfan54
04-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I loved how Bryant lashed out at his critics last week (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-03-31-dez-bryant-reax_N.htm). I may disagree with some of the things he said but he seems very convincing in his quotes. Sure he could use some mentoring but he's heading into the draft with a chip on his shoulder and the draft hasn't even started yet.

He's been sitting for some time, and forgot his cleats on a very important day. Also claimed injury for combine didnt he?

Fact is, he hasnt done much lately.

JahnDho
04-11-2010, 08:38 PM
"Chip" or excuse? I think Bryant is a Diva and Divas are too unpredictable. They also always have an excuse. He has made plenty already. Great talent, but so are Thomas and Benn. Trade back and get Thomas in the 20's. If NA, I still take Thomas at 12. Too much upside to pass up. Sure, maybe he's a reach at 12 because the media says so, but if the rest of the NFL were as needy at WR as we were would he really be a reach at 12??? If the majority of the NFL has a true #1 already, then we better get one too. I'd get two if I were in charge (Boldin + a pick), but who am I.

Zandimd
04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Im for Thomas if they are both on the board, but Thomas is not there and Bryant is then we need to pull the trigger on Dez. I think they will both be there when we pick though.