PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Ireland on the search for a safety

DKphin
04-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Here’s what Miami Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland said when asked about the team’s (so far) fruitless search for a replacement for the released Gibril Wilson at free safety:
“I think there’s certainly some good players at the position [in the draft]. I feel very confident that the players on our team have a chance to fill that position as well.
“Obviously, as you well know, we tried to fill the position with a free agent [Ryan Clark]. He chose to go back to Pittsburgh. But I do feel confident that Tyrone [Culver] and Chris [Clemons] have a great opportunity to fill the position, and there’s some good players in this draft that could potentially do that as well.”
Interesting that Ireland didn’t mention the team’s well-known pursuit of Antrel Rolle via free agency as well. Perhaps the Dolphins didn’t like the way Rolle basically mocked their offer for being about $5 million less (over five years) than the one he eventually signed with the New York Giants.
The names of Eric Berry (likely to be long gone), Earl Thomas and Taylor Mays didn’t come up, but no doubt they are among the “good players” who could potentially fill the Wilson void. Same goes for second-tier types such as Nate Allen, Major Wright, Morgan Burnett, T.J. Ward, Reshad Jones and Chad Jones.
I’d also keep an eye on Virginia cornerback Chris Cook, an Al Groh product who scouts say could move to safety. He’s more of a second- or third-round type.
The problem with taking a safety in the top dozen picks is what do you with him if he flops?
“We didn’t want to miss on a safety,” former Dallas Cowboys personnel man Gil Brandt said this week on a conference call. “If you miss on him as a safety, he has no place to go. If you miss on him as a corner, he could go to safety.”
Ireland on other topics:
() On where the strengths of this draft are: “I do think there’s a strength in this draft. I think there’s some really good players. It’s a little deeper than I’ve seen in the past. I think there’s some good skill position players. I think there’s some really good big-guy positions in this draft. I think the depth is good.”
So, skill and big guys. I’m thinking wide receivers and nose tackles. True on both counts.
() On whether he’s been able to narrow down who’s going to be available at No. 12: “I’ve got a pretty good sense of it, to be honest with you. I’m not going to go through the names of who might be there. We’ve got the 12th pick in the draft. I feel like there’s going to be some really good players there. Obviously there’s always options to trade down, trade up. But we feel pretty confident there’s going to be a good playhttp://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/04/jeff-ireland-on-the-search-for-a-safety.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2FMiamiDolphinsweblog+%28Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs%29 (http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/04/jeff-ireland-on-the-search-for-a-safety.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2FMiamiDolphinsweblog+%28Miami+Dolphins+%7C+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs%29)

datruth55
04-09-2010, 12:18 AM
If Mike Berardino thinks Taylor Mays is a 1st tier FS then he needs to quit his job and go sell oranges on the corner in little Havana.

PhinsTD
04-09-2010, 01:27 AM
That's a solid point on not wanting to miss on a Safety since they have nowhere to go. One of the big reasons we like Jake Lkng at #1, was if he didn't work at T, at least we knew he could go to G.

That said, if Berry is there, you take him.

BillParFan
04-09-2010, 01:47 AM
The problem with taking a safety in the top dozen picks is what do you with him if he flops?
“We didn’t want to miss on a safety,” former Dallas Cowboys personnel man Gil Brandt said this week on a conference call. “If you miss on him as a safety, he has no place to go. If you miss on him as a corner, he could go to safety.”:ponder:

MiamiDolfan85
04-09-2010, 02:08 AM
not surprising....Im 100% sure the Dolphin brass already know who the 12th pick in the 2010 NFL draft is going to be...

MiamiDolfan85
04-09-2010, 02:09 AM
:ponder:
Antrel Rolle is excellent proof of that...

thejetssuck
04-09-2010, 02:23 AM
not surprising....Im 100% sure the Dolphin brass already know who the 12th pick in the 2010 NFL draft is going to be...

Ok, but do you?

SnakeoilSeller
04-09-2010, 05:14 AM
Did anyone else catch the bottom quote from that article, Ireland said:

On trading within his division, a la Donovan McNabb going from the Eagles to the Redskins: “I’ve never tried to trade in the division. That’s a hard one for me. I think it would have to be pretty good. I think you’d have to think long and hard before you’re trading inside the division, to be honest with you. That’s a good question. It has to be pretty good value, for me.”

Do you think he was dropping a hint to the Pats that Ronnie is available for a #2?

SnakeoilSeller
04-09-2010, 05:17 AM

I agree. I think their value board is set. They are ready. I would think they will listen to any offer to move down, depending on who is on the board.

sphincter
04-09-2010, 05:39 AM
:ponder:Like Jason Allen?. Just saying.

j-off-her-doll
04-09-2010, 06:52 AM
If E. Thomas fails at FS, he can move to CB. Lot of people think he's more suited for that position anyway. I don't.

Aqua and Orange
04-09-2010, 07:24 AM
If E. Thomas fails at FS, he can move to CB. Lot of people think he's more suited for that position anyway. I don't.

I don't think there is any way this regime goes with a 4 foot tall guy at CB! I don't care how high the guy can jump.

finfan54
04-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Graham or Thomas but it sounds to me like we would only draft one S. So there is some depth at the position and we might think S later but to have a guy who can get to the QB on a reg. basis like graham, that is the guy I think we have our eye on.

NT is a big issue here. And I think Spillar is on our short list. RB becomes expendable in a hurry and SD comes callin with a 2nd/3rd rounder?

insomnia411
04-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I love Earl Thomas but I'd rather go WR or OLB in the 1st then go FS in the 2nd. I like Nate Allen and Major Wright a lot.

j-off-her-doll
04-11-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't think there is any way this regime goes with a 4 foot tall guy at CB! I don't care how high the guy can jump.

He's half an inch shorter than V. Davis.

j-off-her-doll
04-11-2010, 11:52 PM
I love Earl Thomas but I'd rather go WR or OLB in the 1st then go FS in the 2nd. I like Nate Allen and Major Wright a lot.

I agree, but I'd rather have M. Burnett than Allen or Wright.