PDA

View Full Version : Report: Dolphins looking to trade down

Nublar7
04-11-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-9702.html

4. From talking to teams around the league, I hear the Dolphins are looking to move down from the 12th pick in the draft to acquire more picks.

Best news I have heard yet. :up:

Kdawg954
04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Man I don't know about this, I kind of like where we are at.

Then again how far they trying to trade down. I think alot of teams always try and trade down, so this isn't a suprise at all.

kwill29
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't mind picking up another 2nd or a player and a 5th. A team that wants spiller/bryant are going to be the ones trading up.

j-off-her-doll
04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
It just depends. If we know we're not going to draft Dez, trading down - a little - makes sense. If B. Graham is the guy, we can move down to 18 and be pretty confident he's still there (assuming he'd make it to us at #12). If we have a handful of player we like equally (say: E. Thomas, J. Hughes, B. Graham), then we can move down to the low 20s and feel pretty good about getting one of them.

Danny
04-11-2010, 07:42 PM
we won't know till draft day....it'll just take someone droping a little that a team really wants and we'll get some offers.....right now I think we'll stay at 12 but that can change real fast on draft day.......if we're set on drafting an OLB in round one then by all means, lets move down cause none of those pass rushers seems worth of taking at 12.......if we're taking Bryant we'll have to take him at 12.If we're taking Williams I'll be mad.

Ozzy rules!!

Nublar7
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
I would expect only a drop of like 5-8 picks. I think they would still try and stay in the top 20 so they can get a guy like Morgan, Williams or Earl Thomas.

Lets say for example Houston comes calling on draft day. A fair trade would be a swap of 1st round picks. Miami would go to #20 and Houston would go to #12. Houston then would also give Miami a 2nd round pick(51st overall) and maybe even a 5th or 6th round pick.

hooshoops
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
we're within 10 days of the draft...we should be talking with other teams to see if they have any interest in coming forward...

we should also be feeling teams out for the cost to come up if someone we are that high on makes it within our range...

i can see a gentlemens agreement being made that if a specific target of another team was to make it to our pick the fabric of a trade down would be in place going into the draft...

of course if the right guy falls to us we may not be interested in trading down at all...unless it's quite a haul coming our way in return...

i'd venture to say that the jets trade up for sanchez last year with cleveland was ironed out in the days prior to the draft and not when the browns were actually on the clock...the jets guy was there so the trade was consumated...

tylerdolphin
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Im fine with trading down as long as Bryant is not on the board. It would truly break my heart if we passed on the opportunity to draft him considering what our needs are.

Aqua and Orange
04-11-2010, 08:16 PM
I think virtually every team is looking to trade down and get more picks in this particular draft. TONS of talent all over the place in this one, with only a few names at the top sticking out as safer bets.

Phin-Phan 66
04-11-2010, 08:22 PM
If this report is true, we can only assume that Bryant is not in our plans.
I still hope we can get Graham with a small drop down. Usually when a team drops down, it is not for a specific player, but a small group of players that they expect to be there.

Lord Of Miami
04-11-2010, 08:33 PM
You have the master of trading down in Bill, and this is a deep draft, this should of been a for gone conclusion a long time ago.

Zandimd
04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I dont want to miss a chance on Earl Thomas though....

JahnDho
04-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Is this draft really more deep than say the past 4 or 5 drafts or are we and the media getting more and more information each year that enables us to analyze players before we see them in an NFL uniform on game day?

FinAtic8480
04-11-2010, 08:55 PM
It does not surprise me the Fins are stacking up on picks. We know the Fins would trade guys like Brown, Fasano, Ginn & Thigpen if someone came calling. The Fins have Smiley on the trade block and we have heard rumors of Dallas wanting to trade up with the Fins

Roman529
04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
If we are on the clock at #12 and Dez Bryant is still there I think we have to listen to all offers.....tell teams if they want to move out that we want their 2nd pick....tell teams we already have an offer to trade down for a 2nd to sweeten the deal. I think we can get a quality starter like Brandon Graham between #15 and #20.....just go with the BPA if Graham is gone. We can pick up DeMaryius Thomas if WR is our main focus. Then we have two picks in round two where we can grab a LB, WR, SS or NT. I'd rather have two stud starters then Dez Bryant.

GoonBoss
04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Could mean we're targeting Tate.

BARF
04-11-2010, 09:09 PM
i have been ok with trading down since we purposely lost the game to get the 12th spot so we could trade down and get more picks, i don't think it matters where teams are in the draft this year there so much value in this years first 3 rounds it is not even funny

finfan54
04-11-2010, 10:05 PM
It amazes me that people are so locked on the WR position as a position of deep need.

j-off-her-doll
04-11-2010, 10:10 PM

If we're not going after Dez, I wouldn't draft a WR in the 1st. Tate, Benn, or Thomas will fall to us at #43. I prefer Benn and Thomas to Tate, but I wouldn't hate him at #43. Either way, I don't see any reason to reach for a 2nd RD WR in the 1st.

finfan54
04-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I had no idea Seattle had two #1's - #6 and 14. We may trade Smiley and get there 2nd or 3rd to drop two spots and get another pick as well (4th or 5th?).

How pissed would you be if we traded down twice then to Dallas and Bryant still on our board at 14!

woh nellie

#1dolphinsfan
04-11-2010, 10:23 PM
If Dez Bryant is there when we pick I don't want to pass but if we do trade down I want Sean Weatherspoon.

j-off-her-doll
04-11-2010, 10:31 PM
If Dez Bryant is there when we pick I don't want to pass but if we do trade down I want Sean Weatherspoon.

D. Washington > S. Weatherspoon

MiamiDolfan85
04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I think if Dez is on the board,its an auto-matic magnet got teams to trade up for him...i think its the perfect opportunity for Miami to trade down,and in all likely-hood they would

GoonBoss
04-11-2010, 10:36 PM
If we're not going after Dez, I wouldn't draft a WR in the 1st. Tate, Benn, or Thomas will fall to us at #43. I prefer Benn and Thomas to Tate, but I wouldn't hate him at #43. Either way, I don't see any reason to reach for a 2nd RD WR in the 1st.

I dunno. I think Tate is the goods. I think he'll be there in the first, and there's no need to overpay. If we fall into the 20's somewhere we can still ge thim and build value. I think Tate is as good a prospect as Steve Smith (Car)

You certainly may be right. I have a completely debacled history at draft prognosticating.

insomnia411
04-11-2010, 10:38 PM
It amazes me that people are so locked on the WR position as a position of deep need.

We desperately need to be able to fall back on our passing game WHEN (not if) Ronnie Brown gets hurt this year. When that happens, are you really going to be confident with the group of receivers that we have along with a second year starting qb? That position needs to be addressed, and it needs to be addressed early. I feel that Bryant is a similar talent to Crabtree, he's a steal at 12 and he should be the pick.

I only want to trade down if we can get a great deal. As far as the draft goes these days, it's absolutely a buyer's market for trading up, everyone wants to trade down right now and it's pretty tought to get good value. I don't want to miss out on Graham/Dez/E. Thomas/Morgan just to get a 3rd round pick.
Although I will say, if we trade down to the 20s, I'd be very high on Tate, D. Thomas, or Gresham.

JT-forpresident
04-11-2010, 11:17 PM

could also mean we're targeting any other WR not named dez bryant... or brandon graham

:ponder:

hooshoops
04-11-2010, 11:22 PM

it amazes me that ireland keeps saying we need chunk yardage players and you keep just blowing it off...as if a nt or a fs or an olb are what he's referring to OVER AND OVER

he's referring to offensive playmakers...

j-off-her-doll
04-11-2010, 11:24 PM
I dunno. I think Tate is the goods. I think he'll be there in the first, and there's no need to overpay. If we fall into the 20's somewhere we can still ge thim and build value. I think Tate is as good a prospect as Steve Smith (Car)

You certainly may be right. I have a completely debacled history at draft prognosticating.

About two months ago, I had a low grade on Tate. I didn't want him before the 3rd. But, I've come around to like him. But, if we were to trade down, I think we can get Graham or Hughes in the 1st and then Tate, Benn, or D. Thomas in the 2nd - and still pick up a D. Burnett with our other 2nd. Tate could well be the good, but so can Benn or D. Thomas. I just don't see the separation between the three to reach for any of them in the 1st.

GoonBoss
04-11-2010, 11:26 PM
could also mean we're targeting any other WR not named dez bryant... or brandon graham

:ponder:

Certainly. I just think Tate is the goods. He's got a strong 40, played in a pro offense, and, has sure hands.

I think the obvious piece in teh puzzle is WR and that answer may not be a guy that forgot to bring his cleats to his pro day.

GoonBoss
04-11-2010, 11:28 PM
About two months ago, I had a low grade on Tate. I didn't want him before the 3rd. But, I've come around to like him. But, if we were to trade down, I think we can get Graham or Hughes in the 1st and then Tate, Benn, or D. Thomas in the 2nd - and still pick up a D. Burnett with our other 2nd. Tate could well be the good, but so can Benn or D. Thomas. I just don't see the separation between the three to reach for any of them in the 1st.

Completely get that, though I see a team reaching for Tate. I don't see an issue reaching fro him in the first round if he drops to the late 1st round.

hooshoops
04-11-2010, 11:29 PM
dez bryant in the first or maybe move up in the 2nd if arrelius benn is there to get him should we go elsewhere in the 1st...

otherwise i wouldn't move up for any wr period in the first 2 rounds...

finfan54
04-11-2010, 11:45 PM
We desperately need to be able to fall back on our passing game WHEN (not if) Ronnie Brown gets hurt this year. When that happens, are you really going to be confident with the group of receivers that we have along with a second year starting qb? That position needs to be addressed, and it needs to be addressed early. I feel that Bryant is a similar talent to Crabtree, he's a steal at 12 and he should be the pick.

I only want to trade down if we can get a great deal. As far as the draft goes these days, it's absolutely a buyer's market for trading up, everyone wants to trade down right now and it's pretty tought to get good value. I don't want to miss out on Graham/Dez/E. Thomas/Morgan just to get a 3rd round pick.
Although I will say, if we trade down to the 20s, I'd be very high on Tate, D. Thomas, or Gresham.

So how about a TE? Quite frankly, #44 scares me more in Indy than anyone else. Because he opens up the game for Peyton so much.

I am not saying we shouldnt go for a WR wherever in this draft. But I dont get the assumption that our wr corp. is weak. We have young guys who step up in major ways in big games. Ginn albeit sucks as the #9th pick in the draft, surely gives us a full corp or WR's. Are we looking to upgrade? sure, but we are not as desperate at that position as people make it seem. We missed having that second/third TE to go to. Injuries to the RB's killed us more than anything.

One more year for Bess and Hartline to gain some 1000yd steam. Henne in his second year. So I see why people want the superstar, but I dont get the absolute "we need this guy more than anything else" attitude.

I just dont buy that. One could argue we have a huge hole at G.

And when I read your response, are you not actually saying we have a problem at RB with the injury probs?

We need to fall back on our passing game?

If our running game is gone, then you might as well hang up the playoffs, especially if we have to go up north and play in wet and cold. just forget it it right now. Dez Bryant will not help us in that regard. Sure he may stretch the D a little, but nothing to scare teams like NE and Jets.

j-off-her-doll
04-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Completely get that, though I see a team reaching for Tate. I don't see an issue reaching fro him in the first round if he drops to the late 1st round.

He was the best WR in college football last season. And, his 40 time is a big deal. I think that because of his height, most teams have Benn and Thomas rated higher. So, as a player he might not be a reach in the late 1st. I think he would, but I wouldn't be even a little surprised if he became the next S. Smith. I do, though, think he'll be there at #43 - because of Benn and Thomas. And, if he's not, I think Hughes or Kindle will be.

So, I think the first three rounds will be a juggling act of extracting the best value out of the WR, FS, and OLB talent in the draft. If we pick up that extra 2nd, it'll go a long way toward cementing the positions.

GoonBoss
04-11-2010, 11:54 PM
He was the best WR in college football last season. And, his 40 time is a big deal. I think that because of his height, most teams have Benn and Thomas rated higher. So, as a player he might not be a reach in the late 1st. I think he would, but I wouldn't be even a little surprised if he became the next S. Smith. I do, though, think he'll be there at #43 - because of Benn and Thomas. And, if he's not, I think Hughes or Kindle will be.

So, I think the first three rounds will be a juggling act of extracting the best value out of the WR, FS, and OLB talent in the draft. If we pick up that extra 2nd, it'll go a long way toward cementing the positions.

Tate adjusts well to the ball. I've seen that. He's very QB freindly. I swear I think at worst, he's OJ McDuffie. I don't know that he's that tough of a WR, but I think he's going to be a good pro. Possibly great.

dolfan91
04-11-2010, 11:55 PM
I think there are several possibly trading partners ... Philly, NE, Dallas, and possibly Baltimore!!!

j-off-her-doll
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Tate adjusts well to the ball. I've seen that. He's very QB freindly. I swear I think at worst, he's OJ McDuffie. I don't know that he's that tough of a WR, but I think he's going to be a good pro. Possibly great.

Agreed - 100%

X-Pacolypse
04-12-2010, 12:04 AM
A trade down sounds good to me, this team has got a lot of holes. The more the merrier, I say!

thejetssuck
04-12-2010, 12:32 AM
If Dez and Berry are gone, I absolutely say trade down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clipse
04-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Of course we're looking to trade down, I thought everyone knew we would certainly explore our options. And I hope we do trade down.

insomnia411
04-12-2010, 01:17 AM
So how about a TE? Quite frankly, #44 scares me more in Indy than anyone else. Because he opens up the game for Peyton so much.

I am not saying we shouldnt go for a WR wherever in this draft. But I dont get the assumption that our wr corp. is weak. We have young guys who step up in major ways in big games. Ginn albeit sucks as the #9th pick in the draft, surely gives us a full corp or WR's. Are we looking to upgrade? sure, but we are not as desperate at that position as people make it seem. We missed having that second/third TE to go to. Injuries to the RB's killed us more than anything.

One more year for Bess and Hartline to gain some 1000yd steam. Henne in his second year. So I see why people want the superstar, but I dont get the absolute "we need this guy more than anything else" attitude.

I just dont buy that. One could argue we have a huge hole at G.

And when I read your response, are you not actually saying we have a problem at RB with the injury probs?

We need to fall back on our passing game?

If our running game is gone, then you might as well hang up the playoffs, especially if we have to go up north and play in wet and cold. just forget it it right now. Dez Bryant will not help us in that regard. Sure he may stretch the D a little, but nothing to scare teams like NE and Jets.

If our playoff chances go with Ronnie Brown, then we likely have no shot at the playoffs. Dude is hurt every season, you can't argue that.
That aside, Dez is the BPA at 12, and he also fills a huge need. It's a perfect fit. Hartline, Bess and Cam are great #2 and slot receivers, while Ginn is good for a deep shot and an end around. We need a formidable all around #1 receiver. It would make this offense whole while RB is on the field.

JCfinfan
04-12-2010, 01:58 AM
If we are only going down around to 20, I will be fine. This is such a deep draft, there is some major talent to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

OrlandoFin
04-12-2010, 02:19 AM
I have been saying this for a couple of weeks now. There will be too much talent and too many teams that would like to move up to grab some of thet top 10 talent that feel out of it. I think Philadelphia could be a player, they have 7 picks in the first four rounds.

I firmly believe that Miami will not pick at #12.

Aqua and Orange
04-12-2010, 04:12 AM
I think there are several possibly trading partners ... Philly, NE, Dallas, and possibly Baltimore!!!

Bingo!

Boone
04-12-2010, 05:14 AM
If we are on the clock at #12 and Dez Bryant is still there I think we have to listen to all offers.....tell teams if they want to move out that we want their 2nd pick....tell teams we already have an offer to trade down for a 2nd to sweeten the deal. I think we can get a quality starter like Brandon Graham between #15 and #20.....just go with the BPA if Graham is gone. We can pick up DeMaryius Thomas if WR is our main focus. Then we have two picks in round two where we can grab a LB, WR, SS or NT. I'd rather have two stud starters then Dez Bryant.

:goodpost:

PhinsTD
04-12-2010, 05:14 AM
I'm fine with trading down and grabbing more picks on the second day, but if we do, I would expect us to package picks from the 3rd day and move up at least once or twice to grab players we really like, because it would be really hard to bring up to 12-13 rookies to camp and reasonably expect they can make the team.

I wouldn't think more than 8-9 would make this team, barring injury or surprise cuts.

Locke
04-12-2010, 06:46 AM
If this is true, I would say its a safe bet that Dez Bryant isn't high on their board. If we don't grab Dez, I'm firmly in the camp of waiting until next draft to address the WR position since that is looking like the best WR draft in a long time. No point in drafting any of the second tier guys if they aren't going to be any better than what we have, especially in such a strong defensive draft.

Again, if this is true, I'm pretty much convinced that its Brandon Graham that we are looking at in the first. We can trade down a few spots and still safely grab him. Possibly Earl Thomas as well, but I seriously don't see Ireland addressing S before OLB...

Miamifin23
04-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I can only pray we're looking to trade down a bit and gain the extra picks and then pick up the telephone and call the city of denver and get ourselves a young PROVEN

MadDog 88
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Trading down is the best scenario, especially if Dez is on the board. Tough to pass on him but I think the compensation would be excellent for this draft class. Trading down twice to let someone get back in to the first could give us a minimum of 5 picks in this years 2nd and 3rd rounds.

#1dolphinsfan
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
D. Washington > S. Weatherspoon
I would take Sean Weatherspoon every day of the year over Washington

209Mason
04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd love if we could trade down to the 18-23 range assuming Berry is off the board, picking up a 2nd and 5th or 6th. Depending on how things shake out, we could possibly then nab some combination of:

1. Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas, Golden Tate
2a. Arrelious Benn, Cam Thomas, Terrance Cody
2b. Demaryius Thomas, Jerry Hughes

j-off-her-doll
04-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I'd love if we could trade down to the 18-23 range assuming Berry is off the board, picking up a 2nd and 5th or 6th. Depending on how things shake out, we could possibly then nab some combination of:

1. Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas, Golden Tate
2a. Arrelious Benn, Cam Thomas, Terrance Cody
2b. Demaryius Thomas, Jerry Hughes

Should probably switch Tate and Hughes. And, if we don't grab E. Thomas in the 1st, I think we'll be looking hard at Morgan or Allen in the 2nd. But, I kind of have a feeling we're looking at Cook as a conversion prospect in the 3rd.

Chubby
04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Is this draft really more deep than say the past 4 or 5 drafts or are we and the media getting more and more information each year that enables us to analyze players before we see them in an NFL uniform on game day?
Yes, this 2010 draft class has become imo the best draft class in the last 10-15 years arguably.
Chubbs

TheBow305
04-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Glad to hear it, but it isn't really news. Our FO tries to trade down EVERY year. The news to me would be if they can ACTUALLY DO IT.

But I would be ecstatic with a trade down, but only if Dez and Berry are off the board.

If we do trade down though, I want Demaryius Thomas, no question about it!

rev kev
04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
it amazes me that ireland keeps saying we need chunk yardage players and you keep just blowing it off...as if a nt or a fs or an olb are what he's referring to OVER AND OVER

he's referring to offensive playmakers...

Hoop - I think he is stating the obvious we are unathletic on D... the WR position does not need to be "locked down"

Inch78
04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
How about contacting the Colts about sending them our first for Antoine Bethea and their first (pick 31)? We could then trade this pick for Brandon Marshall. This way we get both a pro bowl safety and receiver and address 2 of our major needs.

RealDriscoll
04-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I feel that this draft is so deep that you do whatever possible to acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder. I know the popular pick is that the Dolphins select Dez Bryant at #12 and I would like that very much myself but you have to understand that Jeff Oreland and Bill Parcells have done their homework. This draft is deep with players like Sam Badford, Jimmy Clausen, CJ Spiller, Jermaine Gresham, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga, Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, Charles Brown, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Joe Haden, Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Morgan Burnett, Rolando Mcclain, Sean Weatherspoon, Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes, Dan Williams, Mount Cody, Jared Odrick, Everson Griffen, Derrick Morgan, and Jason Worlids being slam-dunks in my opinion. The Dolphins could make that trade with the Texans which was mentioned above in order to land a CJ Spiller so the Dolphins move down 8 spots and get a 2nd Rounder. This could be a huge move especially if Earl Thomas, Sergio Kindle, Jared Odrick, Brandon Graham, or Demaryius Thomas is available at #20.

Here are mocks for each scenario...

Scenario 1

1. Dez Bryant-WR-Oklahoma State
2. Morgan Burnett-FS-Georgia Tech
3. Koa Misa-OLB-Utah
4. John Jerry-OG-Mississippi

Scenario 2

1. Earl Thomas-FS-Texas
2A. Arrelious Benn-WR-Illinois
2B. Cam Thomas-NT-North Carolina
3. Koa Misa-OLB-Utah

I guess the point of this Mock Up is to show that you fill another position of need with a high quality player. Will it happen? I doubt the Dolphins trade out of #12 pick and I think we are looking at Sergio Kindle, Earl Thomas, or Dez Bryant. My money is on Earl Thomas.

datruth55
04-12-2010, 11:58 PM
I feel that this draft is so deep that you do whatever possible to acquire an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder. I know the popular pick is that the Dolphins select Dez Bryant at #12 and I would like that very much myself but you have to understand that Jeff Oreland and Bill Parcells have done their homework. This draft is deep with players like Sam Badford, Jimmy Clausen, CJ Spiller, Jermaine Gresham, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga, Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, Charles Brown, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Joe Haden, Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Morgan Burnett, Rolando Mcclain, Sean Weatherspoon, Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham, Jerry Hughes, Dan Williams, Mount Cody, Jared Odrick, Everson Griffen, Derrick Morgan, and Jason Worlids being slam-dunks in my opinion. The Dolphins could make that trade with the Texans which was mentioned above in order to land a CJ Spiller so the Dolphins move down 8 spots and get a 2nd Rounder. This could be a huge move especially if Earl Thomas, Sergio Kindle, Jared Odrick, Brandon Graham, or Demaryius Thomas is available at #20.

Here are mocks for each scenario...

Scenario 1

1. Dez Bryant-WR-Oklahoma State
2. Morgan Burnett-FS-Georgia Tech
3. Koa Misa-OLB-Utah

Scenario 2

1. Earl Thomas-FS-Texas
2A. Arrelious Benn-WR-Illinois
2B. Cam Thomas-NT-North Carolina
3. Koa Misa-OLB-Utah

I guess the point of this Mock Up is to show that you fill another position of need with a high quality player. Will it happen? I doubt the Dolphins trade out of #12 pick and I think we are looking at Sergio Kindle, Earl Thomas, or Dez Bryant. My money is on Earl Thomas.

I like both scenarios. Are you assuming Justin Smiley is traded and that's why we take John Jerry?

TrinidadDolfan
04-13-2010, 12:01 AM

If it really is a "buyer's" market on trading up, then I would want us to bump up to get Berry or Dez provided we don't have to move into the top 8 or so

RealDriscoll
04-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Eric Berry being available at #12 is a pipe dream... I wish