PDA

View Full Version : How to Combat the Jets' Revamped Passing Attack...Official Draft Eric Berry Theard

JCane
04-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Simple...

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/utfla_12103_atb_28_t607-1.jpg

tylerdolphin
04-12-2010, 10:36 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/2608x1x-1.jpg

Dudes gonna be a stud.

Mr_Freezetag
04-12-2010, 10:37 AM
The FO needs to make this happen

Possum
04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
:hump:

CedarPhin
04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Do everything possible.

Pinkboy
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
get him !

ROADRUNNER
04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
How about this...............

emeraldfin
04-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Sadly JCane, I think your going to be pretty disappointed come draft day.

finfan54
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
no, were gonna counter attack by gettting the best WR in the draft! Mr. Bryant. and then we can watch how he comes along while our defense looks like swiss cheese. but hey! at least we will be in passing mode all second half and Dezzy can build his stats for all you fantasy geeks.

JCane
04-12-2010, 02:51 PM
How about this...............

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/navidnoo-1.gif

ROADRUNNER
04-12-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/navidnoo-1.gif

Eric Berry, what was i thinking, ROADRUNNER was wright all along............:lol:

JCane
04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
If you really think Earl Thomas is the better of the two...

RUDEbyallMEANS
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
It's pretty disheartening as a Miami fan. Miami is building their roster at a snails pace, and the Jets just keep wheelin' and dealin'.

datruth55
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
It's pretty disheartening as a Miami fan. Miami is building their roster at a snails pace, and the Jets just keep wheelin' and dealin'.
Dolphins have been there and done that....and it all came crashing down on us in 2007 with that 1-15 season. Trading for players, "giving" away draft picks, over paying for mediocre free agents....we've done all that and it never got us a championship. IMO it's about time we build a team through the draft and use free agency only for the areas in which the draft is weak. This years class of ILBs is pretty weak so getting Dansby was huge. We're doing it the right way.

Look at the last few super bowl winners and tell me how many of them traded for the majority of their players? It even failed for New England who traded for Moss and Welker and have yet to win a championship with them. Patriots won when they had their own players, picked in the draft and taught to play the way Belichick wanted them to.

SnakeoilSeller
04-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Dolphins have been there and done that....and it all came crashing down on us in 2007 with that 1-15 season. Trading for players, "giving" away draft picks, over paying for mediocre free agents....we've done all that and it never got us a championship. IMO it's about time we build a team through the draft and use free agency only for the areas in which the draft is weak. This years class of ILBs is pretty weak so getting Dansby was huge. We're doing it the right way.

Look at the last few super bowl winners and tell me how many of them traded for the majority of their players? It even failed for New England who traded for Moss and Welker and have yet to win a championship with them. Patriots won when they had their own players, picked in the draft and taught to play the way Belichick wanted them to.

Great points!

j-off-her-doll
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM

I agree with this is principle, but if someone's about to grab S. Holmes for a 5th . . . maybe offer a 4th . . . especially considering that our WR's are worse than the Jets - before they got Holmes.

datruth55
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I agree with this is principle, but if someone's about to grab S. Holmes for a 5th . . . maybe offer a 4th . . . especially considering that our WR's are worse than the Jets - before they got Holmes.
Holmes is a good receiver, not great, he is inconsistant. Shows up in games when he wants to and he really won't compliment our current corp of receivers, he's not physical.

Believe me, any team willing to trade a starting receiver for a 5th round pick should tell you that the receiver isn't as good as he might seem on paper. That's a team ready to part with a head case, prima donna who's actions on and off the field don't merrit keeping him. It's not like the Steelers are loaded at WR. Limas Sweed has been a bust, they got Wallace last year who was a surprise in how quickly he became effective in the passing game and an aging Hines Ward...for them to part with Holmes tells me there is a lot of issues that are not being said. They basically have two receivers next year, Ward and Wallace, so they must feel that there is a WR in this draft that can help them @ #18 or #52 that won't be the pot smoking head case Holmes is.

It would not surprise me to hear Holmes will be suspended for 4 games this season because of substance abuse violation. That could be a reason his asking price was so low.

Chubby
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM

I wouldnt give up a 4th round for a player who will only play 12 games then becomes an unrestricted FA. Plus Holmes is not the big #1 WR we are looking for, yes he is a #1 WR but not that specific #1 type that we are looking for.

Better move for the Jets then the fins.
Chubbs

insomnia411
04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Holmes is a good receiver, not great, he is inconsistant. Shows up in games when he wants to and he really won't compliment our current corp of receivers, he's not physical.

Believe me, any team willing to trade a starting receiver for a 5th round pick should tell you that the receiver isn't as good as he might seem on paper. That's a team ready to part with a head case, prima donna who's actions on and off the field don't merrit keeping him. It's not like the Steelers are loaded at WR. Limas Sweed has been a bust, they got Wallace last year who was a surprise in how quickly he became effective in the passing game and an aging Hines Ward...for them to part with Holmes tells me there is a lot of issues that are not being said. They basically have two receivers next year, Ward and Wallace, so they must feel that there is a WR in this draft that can help them @ #18 or #52 that won't be the pot smoking head case Holmes is.

It would not surprise me to hear Holmes will be suspended for 4 games this season because of substance abuse violation. That could be a reason his asking price was so low.

You just marginalized a super bowl MVP, and elite deep threat in the NFL who is coming off of a 1200 yard season down to a "pot smoking head case".
I have a strong feeling that you would be singing a different tune had the Dolphins made this move. A little objectivity wouldn't kill you. This would have been a tremendous move for us. I really don't get why we keep letting deals like this slip through.

datruth55
04-12-2010, 06:39 PM
You just marginalized a super bowl MVP, and elite deep threat in the NFL who is coming off of a 1200 yard season down to a "pot smoking head case".
I have a strong feeling that you would be singing a different tune had the Dolphins made this move. A little objectivity wouldn't kill you. This would have been a tremendous move for us. I really don't get why we keep letting deals like this slip through.
Deion Branch was a super bowl MVP...how's he doing?

I had Holmes on my fantasy team and he is inconsistant. When he wants to show up he does but he had plenty of bad games last year (5 games under 60 yards receiving...that's a 3rd of the season). He had 3 100 yard games last year, Tennessee at the beginning of the year when they absolutely sucked (didn't they start 0-8?), Cleveland and Oakland....yeah he was tearing up some good defenses there.

Oh, and I just read he is going to be suspended for the first 4 games for substance abuse. Sweet!

This confirms a Profootballtalk.com report from Saturday, and it helps explain why the Steelers took pennies back on the dollar for Holmes. His contract is up after this season anyway and he's going to miss Weeks 1 through 4. Pair this news with a downgrade at quarterback and more quality competition for targets, and Holmes' outlook for 2010 has taken a significant hit. http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/12044884548 (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/12044884548)

Good luck Jet fan.

tylerdolphin
04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Deion Branch was a super bowl MVP...how's he doing?

I had Holmes on my fantasy team and he is inconsistant. When he wants to show up he does but he had plenty of bad games last year (5 games under 60 yards receiving...that's a 3rd of the season). He had 3 100 yard games last year, Tennessee at the beginning of the year when they absolutely sucked (didn't they start 0-8?), Cleveland and Oakland....yeah he was tearing up some good defenses there.

Oh, and I just read he is going to be suspended for the first 4 games for substance abuse. Sweet!

Good luck Jet fan. You dont get 80 catches and 1250 yards by being inconsistent. Sure, he didnt put up 100 every game, but he only had 2 games under 50 yards, one of which was week 17. Im not sure how much he even played that week. He had a ton of 70-90 yard games, which is good.

Clipse
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Would love Berry. Not sure we'll need him for the Jets though, after all, Sanchez still is their QB.

datruth55
04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
You dont get 80 catches and 1250 yards by being inconsistent. Sure, he didnt put up 100 every game, but he only had 2 games under 50 yards, one of which was week 17. Im not sure how much he even played that week. He had a ton of 70-90 yard games, which is good.
Alright man whatever you say. Obviously the Steelers are a dumb franchise and trade stars away for 5th round picks. Maybe we can get Ben Roethlisberger for a 4th round pick from them. I mean there's never been an inconsistant player get 1000 yards...heck, didn't Chris Chambers have a 1000 yard season once? We should have kept him, he was the most consistant receiver we've had since Irving Fryar :sarcasm:.

j-off-her-doll
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Going to back off my previous comments. I was unaware of his suspension and his ongoing investigation, and I was also unaware of the locker room cancer charges.

So, I spoke too soon. Hope that NYJ locker room implodes.

XxfeensterxX
04-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Eric Berry shoould easily be #1 on Miamis big board. Sadly I dont think we will move up for him, if he falls, wow.

Right now im thinking draft B.Graham and sign Atogwe when his tender deadline is up.

tylerdolphin
04-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Alright man whatever you say. Obviously the Steelers are a dumb franchise and trade stars away for 5th round picks. Maybe we can get Ben Roethlisberger for a 4th round pick from them. I mean there's never been an inconsistant player get 1000 yards...heck, didn't Chris Chambers have a 1000 yard season once? We should have kept him, he was the most consistant receiver we've had since Irving Fryar :sarcasm:.
You can downplay Holmes talent if you want. Whatever helps. He has been solid his entire career, and I suspect will be around 800-900 yards again next year even missing 4 games. But you know that. Youd be parading if we had pulled the trigger on it. And for the record, he had 1250 yards last season...its not like he gt 1001 yards.

If you want to agree with not trading for him because of character, thats one thing. But you cant deny his talent.

XxfeensterxX
04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
You can downplay Holmes talent if you want. Whatever helps. He has been solid his entire career, and I suspect will be around 800-900 yards again next year even missing 4 games. But you know that. Youd be parading if we had pulled the trigger on it. And for the record, he had 1250 yards last season...its not like he gt 1001 yards.

If you want to agree with not trading for him because of character, thats one thing. But you cant deny his talent.

We dont need a guy to give us 800-900 yards, Hartline will do that, hell Ginn or Bess might get to that number. We need a Big #1 WR who can dominate, demand double teams, and is physical.

Holmes is talented, but he isnt what this team needs.

tylerdolphin
04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
We dont need a guy to give us 800-900 yards, Hartline will do that, hell Ginn or Bess might get to that number. We need a Big #1 WR who can dominate, demand double teams, and is physical.

Holmes is talented, but he isnt what this team needs.
800-900 in twelve games. He is a legit 1000 yard receiver over a full season. Easily. He was exactly what we needed.

datruth55
04-12-2010, 08:02 PM

He has talent but he is inconsistant, even though you deny that fact. He had a big year last year, mainly due to the fact that Hines Ward was hurt (but still playing) leaving the Steelers with just two WRs, Holmes and Wallace (the rest of their receiver suck, total of 2 catches between them).

Had the Dolphins traded for Holmes I would have been pissed. He's not what we need, we need a big physical receiver that will punish defenders...heck I would have taken Hines Ward in a heart beat even at his age. Ward has more heart than any of our receivers. Holmes is a good #2 receiver, a deep threat, he doesn't go across the middle he likes to work the sidelines.

Oh and Chris Chambers had 1118 yards receiving that season.

Chubby
04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
800-900 in twelve games. He is a legit 1000 yard receiver over a full season. Easily. He was exactly what we needed.

Would he have been an upgrade? of course. Is he exactly what we are looking for? No!! Our FO and most of the fanbase for the most part want that 6'2+ Top Tier #1 a (marshall, A. Johnson) type who can take over games, demand double teams and overpower defenders.

Again, would Holmes have been an upgrade over what we have now? Yes, but Holmes would have definately stopped us from going after that true #1 prototype, whether it was a Marshall Trade or Dez Bryant etc... so honestly i am glad we didnt jump on this deal.
Chubbs

mmikel30
04-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Look at the last few super bowl winners and tell me how many of them traded for the majority of their players? It even failed for New England who traded for Moss and Welker and have yet to win a championship with them. Patriots won when they had their own players, picked in the draft and taught to play the way Belichick wanted them to.yeah but the jet are making steals where we were getting robbed.

tylerdolphin
04-12-2010, 08:22 PM
Beggars cant be choosers man. We cant keep passing up on legit WRs just because they are not perfect prototypical big #1s. Thats just dumb at this point. Besides, I have no idea why you guys think we need a big guy for a #1. What we actually need is someone like Holmes. A guy who gets chunk yards and stretches the field. Thats what we lack. We have possession guys already.

datruth55
04-12-2010, 08:27 PM
yeah but the jet are making steals where we were getting robbed.
If you think what they gave up for Brandon Edwards was a steal then why did they trade for Holmes?

Zounds
04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
How to Combat the Jets' Revamped Passing Attack...

Revamed? Did they get a new QB?

Chubby
04-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Revamed? Did they get a new QB?
Didnt you hear? They resigned Vinny T.

BillParFan
04-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Going to back off my previous comments. I was unaware of his suspension and his ongoing investigation, and I was also unaware of the locker room cancer charges.

So, I spoke too soon. Hope that NYJ locker room implodes.

Noted.

Keep in mind the Jests will have to negotiate contracts next year with Revis, Mangold, Brick as well as Cromartie, Edwards, Holmes, Leon & Pool.

From GG...

Going into 2013 we only have Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, and Mark Sanchez locked up.

What the hell are we going to do at the other 50 spots?? We are screwed.
From someone that "gets it"!

When you trade away pics for big time players, you get good value, but you have to pay for it. However, the best value comes when you make a good scouting evaluation in the middle rounds of the draft and have a guy playing well for 3-4 years under his cheap rookie contract. We haven't had enough of that in recent years. We did pretty well a few seasons back getting guys like Cotch, Eric Coleman, Rhodes and even Adrian Jones to play pretty good ball on the cheap.

RealDriscoll
04-12-2010, 11:31 PM
You know it's crazy but you got to give the Jets credit. They are aggressive and because of it they are a better team. This off-season they have landed LaDanian Tomlinson, Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes, and seem to be on the verge of signing Jason Taylor. if I were JT I'd make the move why be loyal to a team that isn't showing you respect? The Jets have a better chance of winning than us and frankly are a better team than us. They are loaded in the secondary , at linebacker, and they still have Kris Jenkins at the Nose Tackle. Their offensive line is great, they have a talented young Quarterback, good running-baks, and now a scary receiver core. I cannot believe they got Santonio Holmes for a 5th; I would have gladly given a 5th for Holmes whether he was suspended or not. Holmes has been on the verge of becoming a big-time player. The Jets still have their 1st and 2nd Round picks and I suspect that a pass rusher ala Jerry Hughes is high on their radar.

RealDriscoll
04-12-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't care how you look at it Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes is a good receiving core. Vontae and Sean Smith better be ready...

Roman529
04-13-2010, 01:08 AM
You guys are overeacting to the Santonio Holmes deal big time. For one thing he is going to be sitting out four games, so more then likely we don't have to face him but once this year. Secondly, the Jets still have the San-chize as their QB. Lets wait until after the draft before we hear from the Doom and Gloom crowd.

oasis
04-13-2010, 01:13 AM
I don't care how you look at it Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes is a good receiving core. Vontae and Sean Smith better be ready...

Cotch as a 3rd receiver is a good receiving corps, nevermind about the first two names.

HurriPhin
04-13-2010, 03:30 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/EricBerry14-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/jimmygraham-1.jpg

and heres an Eric Berry wallpaper (http://media.photobucket.com/image/Eric%20Berry/Sabanocchio/Wallpapers/EricBerryWallpaper.jpg) for you as well. :up:

X-Pacolypse
04-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Jets suck.

COphinphan89
04-13-2010, 04:44 AM
You've all seen my sig, so nothing more needs to be said. We MUST walk away from the draft with Eric Berry. Again, MUST. We have to have him. Whatever needs to be done.....
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

DO IT.

XxfeensterxX
04-13-2010, 04:45 AM
I thank him everytime he says we should get Berry. Its the best player at one of our primary spots of need.

mmikel30
04-13-2010, 06:22 AM
If you think what they gave up for Brandon Edwards was a steal then why did they trade for Holmes?If you banged the hot blond why would you want the hot brunette?

newlownorder
04-13-2010, 07:19 AM
The way you combat the JESTS new passing attack is to attack the QB with OLB's. Wake is one part of solution, at the very least he will be put blitz packages just like the JESTS want Taylor to do. Then you fight fire with fire, add the hawk Earl Thomas to intercept all those passes, add a legit WR threat and bring in a pass catching TE.

Draft looks like:
1) Earl Thomas (takes the ball away)
2) Best WR available (pressures the opponent into throwing more to keep up, see round 1)
3) Jason Worlidis (OLB brings the pressure which leads back to round 1 pick.
4) Dorin Dickerson (pass catching TE, is like having another WR on the field)

HurriPhin
04-13-2010, 07:26 AM
The way you combat the JESTS new passing attack is to attack the QB with OLB's. Wake is one part of solution, at the very least he will be put blitz packages just like the JESTS want Taylor to do. Then you fight fire with fire, add the hawk Earl Thomas to intercept all those passes, add a legit WR threat and bring in a pass catching TE.

Draft looks like:
1) Earl Thomas (takes the ball away)
2) Best WR available (pressures the opponent into throwing more to keep up, see round 1)
3) Jason Worlidis (OLB brings the pressure which leads back to round 1 pick.
4) Dorin Dickerson (pass catching TE, is like having another WR on the field)

I like, but...

Put Damien Williams in at the #2 spot and

switch Dorin for Jimmy Graham (personal reasons)

JCane
04-13-2010, 08:25 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/2emq3ac-1.jpg

tay0365
04-13-2010, 09:02 AM

And yet Miami won the AFC East in 08, and the Jets needed 2 teams to lay down for them to overtake the Dolphins in 09...yea, all those great players are paying much dividends for the might Jets.

oh by the way, in 2011, :snack: sit back and watch as the Jets have to scramble to get rid of a ton of players that will expect to continue to be paid...even with a salary cap.

SRM
04-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Look down.

HurriPhin
04-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Look down.

That would be a sweet scene to see this coming season. :thanks:

COphinphan89
04-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Too long has it been since we've seen a Dolphins safety do this
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

I think this thread needs to become the official Draft Eric Berry thread. We need one here almost as badly as we need him in Miami.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/utucla27_asb_12038_t607-1.jpg

JCane
04-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I think this thread needs to become the official Draft Eric Berry thread. We need one here almost as badly as we need him in Miami.

Nah I'll just make a new thread titled "***OFFICIAL*** JCane was RIGHT" when he's the baddest Safety in the NFL ever.

Possum
04-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Nah I'll just make a new thread titled "***OFFICIAL*** JCane was RIGHT" when he's the baddest Safety in the NFL ever.
already changed it.:tongue2:

HurriPhin
04-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Hurriphin: is on the official do whatever the **** we can by any means necessary to make sure we get Eric Berry Bandwagon.

* new face book status?? :ponder:

Possum
04-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Hurriphin: is on the official do whatever the **** we can by any means necessary to make sure we get Eric Berry Bandwagon.

* new face book status?? :ponder:
at least the sig.

HurriPhin
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
at least the sig.

Good call. :up:

Possum
04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Good call. :up:
:bowdown:

chrisbaucom
04-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Trade Ronnie Brown and our first to the Lions for the #2, hell throw in Smiley if you want I don't care. Grab Berry at 2 and the best available WR in the second.

nyjunc
04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
And yet Miami won the AFC East in 08, and the Jets needed 2 teams to lay down for them to overtake the Dolphins in 09...yea, all those great players are paying much dividends for the might Jets.

oh by the way, in 2011, :snack: sit back and watch as the Jets have to scramble to get rid of a ton of players that will expect to continue to be paid...even with a salary cap.

Do you ever get over it? You guys needed 5-6 teams to lay down in 2008 and once in postseason you got humiliated at home. We won TWO postseason games, the last time Miami won 2 postseason games in one postseason was 1984! The last time they won two ROAD postseason games in the same postseason was...NEVER!

Get over it already, you have a good team. A team that will compete w/ my team and NE for the div title this year. Stop w/ the silly jealousy.

If the QB develops like we expect it's going to be hard to stop our O as we'll have everything you need- great OL, power back, scat back, fullback to open holes, good TE, speed WR, WR that can go over the middle, big WR. This offense has it all right now.

ROADRUNNER
04-13-2010, 08:21 PM

:possum4286:

HenneGivenSunday
04-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Draft Eric Berry

COphinphan89
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Draft Eric Berry
I like it.

tay0365
04-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Do you ever get over it? You guys needed 5-6 teams to lay down in 2008 and once in postseason you got humiliated at home. We won TWO postseason games, the last time Miami won 2 postseason games in one postseason was 1984! The last time they won two ROAD postseason games in the same postseason was...NEVER!

Nobody layed down for Miami, if anything when we played certain teams, we played them at the worse possible time, when they were playing better then they were earlier. What your team did in the post season was nice, but if the Colts and Bengals had not sat out key players, your team would never had made it to the playoffs, and we would not be having this conversation, your team got lucky, and yes, they made the best of it.

Get over it already, you have a good team. A team that will compete w/ my team and NE for the div title this year. Stop w/ the silly jealousy.

This is what I have been saying for a while now, glad to see you are finally on board. Right now there is no distinct top team between the Jets, Patriots, and the Dolphins, I have no jealousy of your team, when something good is said about your team, I do not jump to attack your team as you seem to do, my only problem is that people are crowning the Jets as the best, when they have done little to deserve it.

If the QB develops like we expect it's going to be hard to stop our O as we'll have everything you need- great OL, power back, scat back, fullback to open holes, good TE, speed WR, WR that can go over the middle, big WR. This offense has it all right now.

Your team has a better defense then us, even though I expect Miami D to be worlds better then last year, but on offense, we will at worse have just as good a QB (I think Henne will be better, but..), we will have an O-line that will be almost as good as yours, we will have a better running game then your team, and with Marshall, we will have a better receivers then you guys...so we should be bettter then you guys on offense.

It will be a very interesting year in 2010.

miamiron
04-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Trade Ronnie Brown and our first to the Lions for the #2, hell throw in Smiley if you want I don't care. Grab Berry at 2 and the best available WR in the second.

Add Ginn and Pat White to sweeten/sour the deal

COphinphan89
04-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Saved from the 2nd page.

COphinphan89
04-22-2010, 02:07 PM
OK. Last time I'll bring this back before the draft.

Package the 12th pick with Ronnie Brown and move up!

tay0365
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I have to work tonight, so I will not be able to see the draft on TV, but if I check if I see on my computer, that for some reason we picked Eric Berry, I will need to be revived....too bad I will be in the office tonight all alone.