PDA

View Full Version : If the Dolphins trade down, who’ll still be around?

DKphin
04-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Back from a week off and less than two weeks until a merciful end to all the draft speculation and rumor-mongering.
Here’s the latest, courtesy of The National Football Post’s Michael Lombardi in his Sunday notes column (Item No. 4 (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-9702.html)): The Dolphins are looking to trade down from the No. 12 pick and acquire more draft picks.

If someone does decide to make a deal with Bill Parcells, the Dolphins still could get a player they want, but likely would have to give up someone to add to their nine draft picks (No. 12, 43, 73, 110, 173, 174, 179, 212, 219, 252).
Tennessee nose tackle Dan Williams’ rapid rise up draft boards is a topic in Sunday’s Palm Beach Post (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/tennessee-nose-tackle-dan-williams-seems-like-good-548279.html) and could put him out of reach depending on how far the Dolphins drop down.
Despite speculation he’ll drop to the 20s, wide receiver Dez Bryant might not get to the Dolphins whatever happens, with pitiful passing teams like Kansas City (No. 5), Cleveland (No. 7) or Jacksonville (No. 10), much less Denver at No 11, ahead of Miami.
Texas’ Earl Thomas could be the playmaker the Dolphins need at free safety, but in the pass-heavy NFL, Thomas could be a hot property. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock even ranks Thomas ahead of Eric Berry, who could be a top-five pick.
Instead of Georgia Tech’s Derrick Morgan, one of the best physical specimens in the draft, the Dolphins could opt for Michigan’s Brandon Graham, who makes up for a less-than-ideal height and arm length with an incredible motor. If not Graham, TCU’s Jerry Hughes could get the call.
Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick, a sleeper pick for the Dolphins, might be a reach at No. 12, but a could make sense in the late teens or early 20s.
With so many options, the Dolphins might select someone no one has even considered.
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/04/11/if-the-dolphins-trade-down-wholl-still-be-around/

X-Pacolypse
04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
People may kill me over this one, but let me just throw this out there. Don't be surprised that if the Dolphins do indeed trade down that Idaho OG Mike Iupati may be a guy that they take. I'm not saying that's what they will do, it's just something to keep in mind.

AceofSpades
04-13-2010, 04:23 AM
What are peoples' opinions about Odrick and where he should go in the draft?

3rdandinches
04-13-2010, 04:28 AM
D.Thomas, S.Kindle, J.Gresham, JPP, T.Cody, D.Williams, E.Griffin, G.Tate are all guys that I think we have interest in and could be available if we drop 10 or so spots aswell.

hooshoops
04-13-2010, 04:28 AM
i think that it's either dez bryant or derrick morgan they'll take...bryant if he's there morgan no matter who else is still there

WelcomeBack
04-13-2010, 04:32 AM
And I'd be happy with either on hoops.

My list is Bryant, Thomas, Graham, Morgan and Spiller. I'm not including Berry cause I don't think he'll be there.

I also love Everson Griffen and on his skill alone I'd take him at 12, but I know many don't agree with that.

hooshoops
04-13-2010, 04:49 AM
my list is...

berry
bryant
graham

i think that my guess at their list is...

berry
bryant
morgan
thomas (maybe)

and i think we'll end up with morgan cause dez won't make it to us...morgan is reminding an awful lot of people of chris long from a few years ago and i can see those comparisons...and we know that bill parcells loved chris long...i think ireland would be on board for morgan also...plus we brought morgan in and worked him out at olb...something we haven't done with some of these other top de prospects...i don't believe for one second we're gonna take a guy as a college def end who we haven't seen in lb drills and project him as an olb with a top 12 pick unless we worked him out...too much risk there

my sleeper though for them is jason pierre paul...pure upside pick...i can see that also...even though i don't want to see it

griffen could be the steal of the draft...he could also be the bust...totally up to him cause the kids physical tools are off the charts...

if we did land dez bryant somehow at #12 watch out for jason worilds in round 2...a guy we have brought in for a workout and i'm thinking the shoulder concerns aren't bothering our front office much...

dez bryant and a medically cleared jason worilds in the first 2 rounds would be some pull...

just like a graham/morgan and arrelius benn would be nasty also...

newlownorder
04-13-2010, 05:40 AM
depends on how far they trade down. one name to not over look is Jermaine Gresham.

#1dolphinsfan
04-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Hopfully if we trade down Sean Weatherspoon is still there.

HurriPhin
04-13-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm not including Berry cause I don't think he'll be there.

He has just as much chance being at #12 as Bryant.

HurriPhin
04-13-2010, 06:28 AM
If anything I want to trade up to secure

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/EB12-1.jpg

COphinphan89
04-13-2010, 06:57 AM
I can't tell you who will be around if we trade down, but I can tell you won't be.....
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/ericberrybringsdownmariofannin_photobyjo-1.jpg

MadDog 88
04-13-2010, 08:03 AM
People may kill me over this one, but let me just throw this out there. Don't be surprised that if the Dolphins do indeed trade down that Idaho OG Mike Iupati may be a guy that they take. I'm not saying that's what they will do, it's just something to keep in mind.

I wouldn't be surprised, just deeply disappointed.

Fin_Frenzy_84
04-13-2010, 08:14 AM
We SHOULD trade down for Graham, Earl Thomas, Demaryius Thomas thats about it that I feel safe bout picking

AccordOn13z
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
I know im going to get hammered but in my opinion:

Thomas>Berry>Morgan B.
Atleast when it comes to fitting in with the fins needs because we need Thomas' spectacular coverage skills. Eric Berry is above average all around but Thomas has that amazing coverage skill much like an Ed Reed. Morgan also has above average coverage skills.

Benn>Dez>D. Thomas
Benn would have been ranked top 10 pick if he had a better team around him last year. This kid has everything it takes to be top 5 WR in the league while Dez MIGHT become another Dwayne Bowe (which is not exactly a bad thing). I wouldnt mind trading down and picking up Thomas then Benn in the second but my fear is that he may not last till the second. If he does then perfect if not then we should trade down (far) and reach on Benn and pick up Morgan B in the 2nd.

Lord, I know im going to get killed. Go ahead!

Tunaphish429
04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
I would like to see us trade down and get Dan Williams...If he is still there....

Some mocks have Bills taking him..But I would not be surprised to see the Browns take him...

rev kev
04-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Would not surprise at all... :up:

rev kev
04-13-2010, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, just deeply disappointed.

Disapointed in running like a freight train over the league for 8-10 years... With play action passing augmenting - yes that would be disappointing..., with the extra 2nd Rd pick taking an OLB or a WR in Benn or Thomas or a TE in Greshaim (sp?) horrible...

BARF
04-13-2010, 07:37 PM
the draft is deep this year there will still be some good talent there

XxfeensterxX
04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I know im going to get hammered but in my opinion:

Thomas>Berry>Morgan B.
Atleast when it comes to fitting in with the fins needs because we need Thomas' spectacular coverage skills. Eric Berry is above average all around but Thomas has that amazing coverage skill much like an Ed Reed. Morgan also has above average coverage skills.

Lord, I know im going to get killed. Go ahead!

Its funny you used Ed Reed as an example for Thomas, since he was the primary person Berry has been compared too.

I dont understand how you (or anyone) could want a guy who can cover really good over a guy who can do everything really good (including coverage). Berry lacked the Ints this year ,but he also moved up in the box and teams avoided throwing the ball around him.

Now dont get me wrong, I would love Earl Thomas, but in all reality,
Berry is one of the best prospects to come out in years, Thomas is not.

ckparrothead
04-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I think the Dolphins' best chance to trade down would be for a team looking to get ahead of the San Francisco 49ers for Jimmy Clausen.

What team would do that? I can only imagine one or two, those being Philadelphia and/or Minnesota.

And those would be tough trades to pull the trigger on. Who would Miami get at #24? Who would they have the option on at #30? At #24 they'd be picking behind the Patriots and at #30 they'd be picking behind the Jets as well. Do they want to do that? I think they might just sit on the #12 pick and make the choice...and it'll probably be Dez Bryant.

hooshoops
04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
i think we'll stay put also...but that it will be derrick morgan they take

j-off-her-doll
04-13-2010, 09:03 PM
If they like Morgan in coverage, he'd be a great pick. While he's not the flashiest pass rusher in the draft, I think he's the 2nd best - right behind J. Hughes. Obviously, Morgan would play SOLB (what we really want) while Hughes would play WOLB. I love and have loved Graham for a while, and he's a more explosive athlete than Morgan, but not all of the NFL's best pass rushers are explosive athletes (and Morgan is a very good athlete - who might get better if they ask him to drop a few lbs). Morgan would make a lot of sense. I'd be happy with Morgan.

Berry
Bryant
Graham/Morgan
Thomas

That's my board for #12. Give Nolan D. Morgan and M. Burnett, and I think he'll be able to do some things.

hooshoops
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
i don't consider morgan to be a great pure pass rusher...he's not sudden or quick twitch enough for me...

i consider him more of a power and leverage player who uses his hands well...

he lacks imo a burst to the ball and an explosive element...he'll push the pocket and force the qb to step up or out but i don't know that he's gonna beat tackles with any kind of speed off the edge...

i just think he fits what these guys want in a solb across the board...as long as they don't expect a whole lot from him in coverage...

ckparrothead
04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I think he can be every bit the pass rusher that Tamba Hali is and Hali has become an excellent pass rusher for the Chiefs.

ckparrothead
04-13-2010, 09:17 PM
I would be happy if we added Derrick Morgan, one way or another. He's a good player. He's on what I call my "All-Smiles List". I just wonder about his fitness for the move outward because of his coverage, and I wonder if he shouldn't just be put out to stud at WOLB where he can be the relentless pass rusher that I see him as.

ckparrothead
04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
One thing we don't know and have never heard from the Dolphins coaching staff about?

Whether they would use Cameron Wake at WOLB or SOLB.

I know, seems crazy to think they'd put him at SOLB instead of WOLB, but he was so incredibly left side oriented in 2009. I know where he lined up on every snap, I have it all on a spreadsheet for every player in the Miami defense. He only played on the right side something like 3 snaps in 2009. That's it. As a WOLB in Nolan's defense he would spend 2 out of 3 snaps on the right side. The kicker is that he has said before that the left side is most comfortable for him. I believe that's where he rushed from in the CFL but I would have to check that.

Just tossing that one out there. I don't know, one way or another. Him playing SOLB certainly wouldn't be ideal. But I know that right away the very first job he earns in my coaching staff is the LOLB/LDE job in my pass packages. That's where I want him. Whether he can be a LOLB on 1st/2nd down to where he can cover and set the edge and whatnot, that might not seem likely, but it may be the reality of the situation.

hooshoops
04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
derrick morgan as a wolb??? what??? don't see that at all...

and maybe i'm in the minority but i don't consider tamba hali to be some terror pass rusher...admittedly i haven't followed him closely of late but i'm just not seeing him as a monster...

j-off-her-doll
04-13-2010, 09:22 PM
i don't consider morgan to be a great pure pass rusher...he's not sudden or quick twitch enough for me...

i consider him more of a power and leverage player who uses his hands well...

he lacks imo a burst to the ball and an explosive element...he'll push the pocket and force the qb to step up or out but i don't know that he's gonna beat tackles with any kind of speed off the edge...

i just think he fits what these guys want in a solb across the board...as long as they don't expect a whole lot from him in coverage...

He has great bend and instincts. If he succeeds as pass rusher in the NFL, it'll probably be like J. Allen. Doesn't seem like he should be a great pass rusher, but he just gets to the QB and draws double teams. He had 12.5 sacks against some very good competition. One more than Hughes, three more than Graham. I don't think it's fair to knock him as a pass rusher because he doesn't look like the prototypical pass rusher. Hand use, balance, bend, tenacity: he has them in spades. I only question his ability to cover. Aside from that, I think he's the best SOLB prospect in the draft. And, if we draft him, I'm assuming that the FO likes what they've seen of his ability to cover.

j-off-her-doll
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
One thing we don't know and have never heard from the Dolphins coaching staff about?

Whether they would use Cameron Wake at WOLB or SOLB.

I know, seems crazy to think they'd put him at SOLB instead of WOLB, but he was so incredibly left side oriented in 2009. I know where he lined up on every snap, I have it all on a spreadsheet for every player in the Miami defense. He only played on the right side something like 3 snaps in 2009. That's it. As a WOLB in Nolan's defense he would spend 2 out of 3 snaps on the right side. The kicker is that he has said before that the left side is most comfortable for him. I believe that's where he rushed from in the CFL but I would have to check that.

Just tossing that one out there. I don't know, one way or another. Him playing SOLB certainly wouldn't be ideal. But I know that right away the very first job he earns in my coaching staff is the LOLB/LDE job in my pass packages. That's where I want him. Whether he can be a LOLB on 1st/2nd down to where he can cover and set the edge and whatnot, that might not seem likely, but it may be the reality of the situation.

Think most have discounted the idea, because they view Wake's coverage ability as a liability. But, he's a great athlete, and we don't really know how good he'll look in coverage. So, I think it's a very valid point.

hooshoops
04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
i think derrick morgan at the next level will be a consistent pressure player...but not explosive enough off the edge to me to be a consistent doulble digits sack guy...

and on the wolb if he was that i think left tackles foot speed would eat him up...i think he's have to player the power game on the left side off the edge and try and walk tackles into the backfield...definitely don't see a guy who's gonna gain the edge and beat guys with explosive first step and quickness...

hooshoops
04-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Think most have discounted the idea, because they view Wake's coverage ability as a liability. But, he's a great athlete, and we don't really know how good he'll look in coverage. So, I think it's a very valid point.

i've only seen wake a few times in space and he looked like a deer in headlights...and i don't think he has all that great change of direction and pure lateral movements...

you want that kid to hunt the qb...period

PhinsTD
04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
I must admit that it worries me with Graham that he was shut down by both Jason Fox/Matt Pipho, and Buluga/Callahan when played Miami and Iowa respectively.

It seems like he dominated most of the mediocre tackles he faced, but not as much the pro prospects (not to say Pipho is a prospect of course).

MiamiDolfan85
04-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Graham had 29.5 tackles for loss last year,aswell as 10.5 sacks,too times in a row,on a terrible,I repeat,TERRIBLE Michigan defense....He was a one man wrecking crew...

PhinsTD
04-13-2010, 11:57 PM
GBN mocked us trading 12 & 43 for 24, 37, and 54-ish. Would you like that trade?

PhinsTD
04-13-2010, 11:58 PM
I typed Graham but meant Morgan. Obviously Michigan didn't play Miami...my bad.

hooshoops
04-14-2010, 12:01 AM
this darn site crashed in the middle of a convo where i was being told that derrick morgan might make a good wolb fit...

that and that he's an elite pass rusher...

figures it crashed... :lol:

sinPHIN
04-14-2010, 04:11 AM
depends on how far they trade down. one name to not over look is Jermaine Gresham.
i was about to put the same thing

datruth55
04-14-2010, 04:28 AM
i've only seen wake a few times in space and he looked like a deer in headlights...and i don't think he has all that great change of direction and pure lateral movements...

you want that kid to hunt the qb...period
That's exactly what he'll do in Nolan's defense. Elvis Dumervil dropped back in coverage something like 17% of the time, Wake won't be dropping back in coverage often. Which is why I think getting a SOLB that can drop back, set the edge against the run and occasionally rush the passer is more important than getting a WOLB in this draft.