PDA

View Full Version : Pope's No. 2 blames homosexuality, not celibacy for pedophilia

BAMAPHIN 22
04-14-2010, 12:58 AM
The Vatican's second-highest authority says the sex scandals haunting the Roman Catholic Church are linked to homosexuality and not celibacy among priests.

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican's secretary of state, made the comments during a news conference Monday in Chile, where one of the church's highest-profile pedophile cases involves a priest having sex with young girls.

"Many psychologists and psychiatrists have demonstrated that there is no relation between celibacy and pedophilia. But many others have demonstrated, I have been told recently, that there is a relation between homosexuality and pedophilia. That is true," said Bertone. "That is the problem."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2010-04-13-catholic-abuse-gay-blame_N.htm

GoonBoss
04-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Heh. The Catholic Church. Among the first organizations I think of in terms of being udtated and modern in philosiphy and science.

X-Pacolypse
04-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Just like the Catholic Church, pass the buck and put the blame on somebody else.

FinFan 13
04-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Exactly what about that statement doesn't make sense? There are far more cases of male priests molesting male children, than male priests molesting female children. This sounds logical to me. If it was just the celibacy, the male priests would be molesting more female children, not male one's.

It makes sense to correlate the pedophilia from the church with homosexuality. If someone can dispute this, please by all means, prove me wrong. I am just speaking from a purely logical standpoint.

aesop
04-14-2010, 02:29 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

GoonBoss
04-14-2010, 04:06 AM
Exactly what about that statement doesn't make sense? There are far more cases of male priests molesting male children, than male priests molesting female children. This sounds logical to me. If it was just the celibacy, the male priests would be molesting more female children, not male one's.

It makes sense to correlate the pedophilia from the church with homosexuality. If someone can dispute this, please by all means, prove me wrong. I am just speaking from a purely logical standpoint.

Maybe it's at least partially asking men to remain celibate, which is completely un natural, and is merely a continuation of old church policy and dogma that holds no place or relevance in modern, enlightened society. Is it purely celebacy? Probably not. Is it at least paritally to blame? I'd bet so. It's impossible to prove, but I have plenty of gay freinds, to include my brother in law, and to my knowledge, none of them a pedeophiles.

FinFan 13
04-14-2010, 04:13 AM
Maybe it's at least partially asking men to remain celibate, which is completely un natural, and is merely a continuation of old church policy and dogma that holds no place or relevance in modern, enlightened society. Is it purely celebacy? Probably not. Is it at least paritally to blame? I'd bet so. It's impossible to prove, but I have plenty of gay freinds, to include my brother in law, and to my knowledge, none of them a pedeophiles.

I am in no way saying all homosexuals are pedophiles, I never would. I am just saying that if it were simply celibacy, then why do they molest male children predominantly? It has to be in some way linked to homosexuality, in the church, not in society as a whole. If it were just celibacy, wouldn't they be molesting little girls? Does celibacy somehow change your sexual preference?

I am just being logical, logic say's if a man molests a boy, he is a homosexual....Regardless of his situation. Would you agree?

GoonBoss
04-14-2010, 04:25 AM
I am in no way saying all homosexuals are pedophiles, I never would. I am just saying that if it were simply celibacy, then why do they molest male children predominantly? It has to be in some way linked to homosexuality, in the church, not in society as a whole. If it were just celibacy, wouldn't they be molesting little girls? Does celibacy somehow change your sexual preference?

I am just being logical, logic say's if a man molests a boy, he is a homosexual....Regardless of his situation. Would you agree?

Well, i would say one reason would be the restricted social world that a preist can operate in. There is also the tradition and practice of male children's roles in the Catholic church, which is far more exposed to a preist's singular power and discression.

As we see in this case, females are not removed from this risk either, so it can't be purely linked to homosexuality. As for our last question, I would not agree. All jokes aside, simply because you have homosexual urges or thoughts, does not necessarily make you homosexual. If you are a homosexual, you are exclusively attracted to the same sex.

EvilDylan
04-16-2010, 05:35 AM
Doesn't it have something to do with the priests access to the genders? don't the priests have more access to the boys than the girls?

Think of it like being in prison, you hear stories about homosexual activities all the time in prison, and do you think when they get out they go after some dude? most of the time, probably not. It's about what you have access to, to relieve sexual tension.

HeartbreakKid28
04-18-2010, 02:12 AM

I dont normally get involved in this stuff, but the stuff the cardinal said is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard for two reasons:
1. The priest down in Chile was molesting girls.
2. He's saying the gays are pedophiles. All you need to do is watch "To catch a predator" to see that the majority of sex offenders are going after young girls, not boys. If someone rapes a girl, I'm pretty sure they are not gay.

They are being deceptive to try and throw heat away from them for royally screwing up. Instead, they ended up digging themselves a deeper hole. Hell, even the grandson of Mussolini[who sent gays into exile] who is a far right conservative criticized the cardinal for these comments.

ABrownLamp
04-29-2010, 02:11 AM

You really dont understand that theres a difference between being gay and being a pedophile? Seriously?

This whole thing sounds logical to you?
Do you just assume gay men want to have sex with little boys? Good lord, what a world of misinformation you live in.

JCane
04-29-2010, 02:26 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/Nicv0-1.gif

JCane
04-29-2010, 02:30 AM
What's sad is that this has become the "norm" for the Catholic Church. Priests touching little boys in sexual manners. Imagine if this were the "norm" here in the United States.

...oh wait...I forgot about Gainesville.

Dolphan7
05-04-2010, 10:26 PM
While I am sure there is a subset of homosexuals that prefer young boys, this guy is ignoring the cause of such behavior stemming from the requirement of celibacy. You take a man who does not have the "gift" of celibacy and put him in contact with young impressionable boys and it is inevitable that some of these priests will succumb to the urge. Take that same priest and put him in with young girls and you probably get the same or similar result. The cause is not allowing these men to have sexual release in the form of marriage to a wife. That is where the problem starts.