PDA

View Full Version : who do we draft in the 1st round now?

Charlie Brown
04-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Now that we have Brandon Marshall and its obvious we dont need to take a WR in the first round, who do we target?

I hate the idea of drafting a freaking NT with the 12th overall pick (Dan Williams) and hes a one year wonder. seems like a reach

Sergio Kindel worries me because I think hes a boom or bust just like JPP, and some scouts have Kindel graded to go in the 2nd round.

Derrick Morgan wouldnt be a bad pick but will he be there when we pick at #12? and can he play as a 3-4 OLB?

Earl Thomas is the best value pick and he fills a huge need for Miami, I dont have as many question marks or concerns with Earl Thomas.

What do you think?

thejetssuck
04-15-2010, 08:43 PM
I STILL want Dez Bryant if available, our passing attack would be lethal for years. Eric Berry would be great, but prob won't be available. Brandon Graham would be my 3rd choice.

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas or trade down IMO

matt11390
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Fact: No one knows but the FO at the time the pick falls to them on next Thursday.

My Opinion: I want Earl Thomas if he's there because he would be a playmaker on defense ... the biggest playmaker of all the defensive players we could pick. This is critical for Miami how the AFC East is now stacked with playmaking WR's.

Phin-Phan 66
04-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Brandon Graham is still my choice as he has from Day 1...

Charlie Brown
04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Trade down would be ideal, but I doubt it happens

If we were to take a OLB in the 1st round, I like Brandon Graham the most but Im afraid he doesnt fit the Parcells/Nolan OLB, Derrick Morgan or Sergio Kindel fit that mold better.

Parcells and company dont like under size guys as their starters, ala Brandon Marshall, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith, Karlos Dansby, Jake Long, Philip Merling, all of those guys are big and physical (not so much Sean Smith)

#1dolphinsfan
04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I am hoping that Eric Berry is still there when we pick at 12 if no i think the pick will be between Earl Thomas/ Brandon Graham/ Sergio Kindle/ Jason pierre-paul/ Derrick Morgan

flynryan15
04-15-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm thinking trade down to late first with Dallas and pick up a second.

Canadi-Phin
04-15-2010, 09:30 PM
I actually think that trading down is going to be easier than we think. The Dolphins are in a great position where most likely the best WR, RB, OLB/DE, TE, G, C and 2nd best S will be left at the 12th pick. Lots of teams will know that we will jump at a trade. This makes it easier, I think this is why the Pats get so many trades down, people know they are willing. I like our spot now. Love a trade down, I think it will happen.

Pitbull13
04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, there will be options for us at 12. I'd love to get Berry, he's my first choice even if we trade up to get him. Earl Thomas to me is too small to play safety, but if he does and does not work out, maybe move him to corner. I don't think Bryant is the pick, but if he is, I'd be ok with it. I really don't care who we pick because we got Marshall :woot:

j-off-her-doll
04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
E. Berry
D. Morgan
B. Graham
E. Thomas

I get the feeling that our staff liked what they saw out of Morgan during his private workouts - with special concern directed toward LB drills. If that's the case, and he's there, he's our guy (assuming Berry isn't). After him, I see only a very slight drop off in B. Graham, but there's speculation as to whether we see him as a LB or a fit for our team. I think we like him, but I'm a little hesitant to say I know we like him for SOLB. I love E. Thomas, but with no 2nd and as many OLB's as we need, I think we'll address FS in the 3rd.

The two dark horses: Spiller and Odrick.

The draft is much deeper on the defensive side of the ball, and Spiller will likely be BPA - if he's there. So, the FO might see it as an opportunity to ensure our offense is keeping up with the Jones's. Don't see it happening with all of our needs on D, but I wouldn't hate the move. It'd be a new direction.

Odrick would be a 3-down player capable of playing NT or 3-4 DE. His versatility along with his pass rush ability might be enough to entice the FO into pulling the trigger - if Morgan's gone, and they don't want Graham.

miami234ever
04-15-2010, 09:55 PM
E. Berry
D. Morgan
B. Graham
E. Thomas

I get the feeling that our staff liked what they saw out of Morgan during his private workouts - with special concern directed toward LB drills. If that's the case, and he's there, he's our guy (assuming Berry isn't). After him, I see only a very slight drop off in B. Graham, but there's speculation as to whether we see him as a LB or a fit for our team. I think we like him, but I'm a little hesitant to say I know we like him for SOLB. I love E. Thomas, but with no 2nd and as many OLB's as we need, I think we'll address FS in the 3rd.

The draft is much deeper on the defensive side of the ball, and Spiller will likely be BPA - if he's there. So, the FO might see it as an opportunity to ensure our offense is keeping up with the Jones's. Don't see it happening with all of our needs on D, but I wouldn't hate the move. It'd be a new direction.

Odrick would be a 3-down player capable of playing NT or 3-4 DE. His versatility along with his pass rush ability might be enough to entice the FO into pulling the trigger - if Morgan's gone, and they don't want Graham.

I agree with those rankings there. I would just put Earl Thomas and Brandon Graham as 3a. and 3b. I think what we do with the pick will entirely depend on what we do with Phillip Merling and Jason Taylor. Im not sure what the hell JT is thinking, but us not being super eager to strike a deal with him makes me believe we are going OLB at 12. If we go OLB at 12, the ONLY safety I trust us drafting in the 3rd to start day 1 would be Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. Guy is a great tackler and play-maker.

hooshoops
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
i can't for the life of me see odrick as an effective run defending nose...3-4 end absolutely the best one in the draft but i'm not taking that guy warm and fuzzy about his ability to play the nose on run downs...

i don't see it...

i can see odrick shifting inside on pass downs to bring pass rush but that's not what we need...we need a dominant run defending 2 down nose who eats blockers up for lunch...we already have guys who can shift inside on 3rd down and bring pressure...

WelcomeBack
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I want either Morgan, Graham, or Thomas. Or a trade down for Everson Griffen and getting a 2nd rounder back.

COphinphan89
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/04/down_arrowJPG-1.jpg

Aqua and Orange
04-15-2010, 10:53 PM
I'd personally like to see us draft in this order:

Berry
Graham
Morgan
Thomas
Hughes

I wouldn't be too upset if we drafted Spiller either, but I just hope we have solid additions at DT, OLB and S by draft's end.

BlueFin
04-15-2010, 11:12 PM
I like the idea of Spiller and the impact he and Brandon Marshall could have on this offense, then spend the rest of the draft on defensive talent.

We could certainly find a Run clogger in the third round or later, and resign JT for another year.

finfan54
04-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Brandon Graham, Earl Thomas or trade down IMO

exactly. I am on board with this. Even on board with Morgan. I give slight edge to Earl Thomas because Safety is difficult to find studs year in year out.

I would like to double up on Safeties getting Johnson in fourth. DE/OLB deep.

I guess it will come down to who would make a longer lasting impression. B Graham and Thomas IMO.

Graham could be pro bowler type who has double digit sacks every year.

Thomas could give us deep protection vs. pass happy league for years to come.

Dogbone34
04-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Eric Berry
Earl Thomas
CJ Spiller
Brandon Graham
Derrick Morgan

If Berry and Thomas are gone, I'm doing everything possible to get out of 12

allsilverdreams
04-16-2010, 04:07 AM
if teams know we want to drade down wont that work against us.instead of another 2nd we will prob get a 3rd =(

Danny
04-16-2010, 04:14 AM
I know a lot of people here like Berry and Thomas but while I know we need a FS we need an OLB that can rush the passer more.The fact is that there are some good WR's in our division and most of the time when the ball is up there they're going to make the catch.So do you prefer a safety that will tackle the guy making the catch or a pass rusher that will sack the QB before he trows it and therefor our secondary won't have to do anything? We need to go OLB with our top pick unless the guy we take is way better than the best pass rusher on our board.

Ozzy rules!!

j-off-her-doll
04-16-2010, 04:30 AM
i can't for the life of me see odrick as an effective run defending nose...3-4 end absolutely the best one in the draft but i'm not taking that guy warm and fuzzy about his ability to play the nose on run downs...

i don't see it...

i can see odrick shifting inside on pass downs to bring pass rush but that's not what we need...we need a dominant run defending 2 down nose who eats blockers up for lunch...we already have guys who can shift inside on 3rd down and bring pressure...

Can see him succeeding in a way similar to Ratliff. And, I think Paul S. is a pretty good run stopper inside, so I'm not as worried as others.

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 05:03 AM
solai has improved every year no doubt...but i don't think he's a consistent player on the nose by any means yet...and we all know that if his weight isn't down in the 340 range his conditioning and play level REALLY drops off

rent this space
04-16-2010, 05:38 AM
E. Berry
D. Morgan
B. Graham
E. Thomas

I completely agree with all of this, however I don't see Spiller happening at all. this draft will be about defense.
if Morgan does have the ability to play OLB, he would be a tremendous pick. with the size strength and character, he's got what they look for otherwise.
Thomas and Graham are both excellent players that may be smallish to the trifecta, but I would be happy with.
Thomas looked more fluid than some CB's in drills at the combine.
I've seen a ton of Brandon Graham and he is just plain disruptive all the time.

j-off-her-doll
04-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I completely agree with all of this, however I don't see Spiller happening at all. this draft will be about defense.
if Morgan does have the ability to play OLB, he would be a tremendous pick. with the size strength and character, he's got what they look for otherwise.
Thomas and Graham are both excellent players that may be smallish to the trifecta, but I would be happy with.
Thomas looked more fluid than some CB's in drills at the combine.
I've seen a ton of Brandon Graham and he is just plain disruptive all the time.

I agree. Should have probably labeled Spiller as the super dark horse. And, to my eyes, E. Thomas looked better than any player at the combine in the coverage drills. He wastes no movement when changing directions.

newlownorder
04-16-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm guessing that Parcells is going to try his hardest to recoup a 2nd round pick by trading down. If he can't I think it's down to Earl Thomas, Derrick Morgan or Dan Williams. But again, I have no doubt that Tuna Co. is going to try everything to get back a 2nd round pick, those are like diamonds for Parcells.

dtjp17
04-16-2010, 07:40 AM
you cant have a white NT its a black mans position

Charlie Brown
04-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Some of you are acting like we have a chance of drafting Eric Berry, no way he falls to number 12! no way we trade up to get him either, we'll trade down if anything.

And let me just say this...If you can put preasure on a QB then you dont need an outstanding safety.

and some of you say "we're in a good position to trade down because good talent will be available at the #12 pick" I disagree, I think Miami is in a rough spot because we could get a guy like Brandon Graham, jerry hughes, Sergio Kindel, Dan Williams or maybe Earl thomas in the 20-25 pick area. we could get just as good value in that area. If thats not true then why does everyone want to trade down? other teams know this as well

I dont see anyone trading up for Derrick Morgan, hes good but I dont think teams will fall in love with him. I could see teams maybe making a move up to get Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller and maybe Joe Haden if they are there. other than that, anyone who Miami picks will be a bit of a reach which is why I dont think teams will be dieing to trade up for our #12 pick.

FINMAN13
04-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Nobody...

The FO will find a few trades that get back picks for Marshall.

Berry will not be there at 12...no chance.
No longer need to reach for a WR & chances are the Broncos will take Bryant.
Earl Thomas is a bit of a reach at 12. Although he could turn into a great player. Just a bit risky at 12...
Don't think the UT NT is worth the 12th pick.

I see the Fins getting back into the second round and securing a pick next year to average out the Marshall trade.

If by chance a great player falls...yeah they will pull the trigger. But 12 is not a great slot to be sitting in this draft. Need to trade down...

Dolphins24
04-16-2010, 09:04 AM
I either want Sergio Kindle or Derrick Morgan.

finfan41
04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
if we trade down and get a second back, dont be surprised if we pick Mike Iupita the guard from Idaho, i know defense is a major need, but as of right now we dont have a starting left guard, they seem to like him and hes a parcels type of guy

fgrocker
04-16-2010, 12:40 PM
I'd like to see either Earl Thomas or Brandon Graham. Those are our major positions of need. Dan Williams or Dez Bryant would be OK too.

Phin-Phan 66
04-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I either want Sergio Kindle or Derrick Morgan.

I would be dissapointed with either of these guys at 12. Morgan rang up some big time numbers in the ACC, but disappeared against the 2 best teams he played (Miami and Iowa).

Aqua and Orange
04-16-2010, 06:45 PM
if we trade down and get a second back, dont be surprised if we pick Mike Iupita the guard from Idaho, i know defense is a major need, but as of right now we dont have a starting left guard, they seem to like him and hes a parcels type of guy

I agree with this. Our most likely trade partner with this regime will always be Dallas (here's hoping Dez falls to pick 12) and at their spot Iupita would likely be the best pick.

timwendt58
04-16-2010, 06:49 PM
What about Dan Williams? He isn't getting much love around here.

Aqua and Orange
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
What about Dan Williams? He isn't getting much love around here.

I think everyone can see there is a STRONG possibility Dan Williams is the pick, especially after the senior bowl, position need, how well he would fit in Nolan's scheme, etc...

I think people's seemingly negative feelings toward Williams are influenced heavily by the fact he had only one really good season, his stock flew up after his season had already concluded, he wears down late in games, and some believe he could still be available at pick 20.

If anything though he is the safest pick to mock. You'll see surprise moves like the Marshall trade influencing people's preconceived notions of Parcells, so Williams will start to fall. Don't believe it. Him and Earl Thomas are the two likeliest candidates.