PDA

View Full Version : Draft process

Neece22
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
With the news of Marshall being a WR this obviously puts the Fins in a much more unpredictable draft spot. My question is why stock pile draft picks. Most of those picks are in the later rounds. How many of those draft picks actually make it? Obviously myself and the front office love to find the diamond in the rough and that is why I watch every round of the draft. The biggest needs of the team are IMO (S, NT, LB), (please fill in your top draft needs for my point). If we were to trade some of draft picks to move up and have more picks in the top 3 rounds but less overall, wouldn't that be better than taking flyers on guys in the later rounds that may or may not help our team? IMO again i feel that it's better to have as many top picks as you can not necessarily as many draft picks over all that you can have. Does anyone else have any opinions on this?

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
With the news of Marshall being a WR this obviously puts the Fins in a much more unpredictable draft spot. My question is why stock pile draft picks. Most of those picks are in the later rounds. How many of those draft picks actually make it? Obviously myself and the front office love to find the diamond in the rough and that is why I watch every round of the draft. The biggest needs of the team are IMO (S, NT, LB), (please fill in your top draft needs for my point). If we were to trade some of draft picks to move up and have more picks in the top 3 rounds but less overall, wouldn't that be better than taking flyers on guys in the later rounds that may or may not help our team? IMO again i feel that it's better to have as many top picks as you can not necessarily as many draft picks over all that you can have. Does anyone else have any opinions on this?

???

Neece22
04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
To clear up any confusion. Why not have less draft picks just have them higher in the draft. If we only had 3 draft picks but they were in the top 3 rounds and were able to fill our top 3 needs. Wouldn't that be better than having lots of draft picks just later on the draft and taking chances on guys in the later rounds?

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2010, 08:55 PM
To clear up any confusion. Why not have less draft picks just have them higher in the draft. If we only had 3 draft picks but they were in the top 3 rounds and were able to fill our top 3 needs. Wouldn't that be better than having lots of draft picks just later on the draft and taking chances on guys in the later rounds?

that's a strategy that would work for a year here and there, but it's not something i would want to do permanently. most of the depth guys on NFL rosters are low-round players. these guys are cheap. we do have some clear needs on defense, but that's not to say we can't improve our general depth with lower picks. i personally favor the approach our FO has taken with lower picks. we've dealt a few of those for proven players, e.g. Ferguson, Thigpen, McDaniel etc.