PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 reason to draft Brandon Graham

Phin-Phan 66
04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Here are the Top 10 reason why the Miami Dolphins should select Brandon Graham in Round 1.

10. He fills a huge position of need in our 3-4 defense
9. He is a highly productive player
8. He played at a big program for 4 years against top competition
7. He is NFL ready from Day 1
6. He was the FBS tackles for loss leader in 09 and 2nd in 08
5. He was MVP of the senior bowl
4. He has the versatilty to play OLB or DE
3. He has a non stop motor
2. He is a STUD

and the number one reason we should select Brandon Graham in the first round: Steve Ross gave a $100 million endowment to the University of Michigan and the business school is named the Ross School for Business :lol::lol:

ok - so the last one is just an interesting tidbit. This guy has been a productive force and would be a great addition to our team!

:hi5:

cobbs321
04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm down for it!!!

j-off-her-doll
04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Would love to see him on our in Miami. I have him right behind Berry and Morgan on my Miami big board.

datruth55
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Here are the Top 10 reason why the Miami Dolphins should select Brandon Graham in Round 1.

IMO FS and strong side OLB are the two biggest areas of need. He fills one of those so I agree.

Great motor, explosive off the snap (with his hand in the ground), plays with excellent leverage. Very productive in college.

When Lloyd Carr was there Michigan put out a lot of fine NFL players. Graham played for Carr for a couple of years and I think he will be a very good NFL player.

Don't think he'll be ready from day 1. He will be making a transition from DE to OLB which will take some time but I think he'll take to it faster than Matt Roth did. He'll have to learn to recognize screen plays, drop back in coverage and a number of other things that come with playing OLB but he's not much different than most of the guys the Dolphins are looking at to play OLB in the 3-4.

That goes back to his motor. He is relentless, you can see that on tape.

And from what I read he was virtually unblockable in practices. I'm sure the Dolphins coaching staff got a good look at him there.

This will be handy with Nolan as DC. Nolan could employ a hybrid defense with us running mostly 3-4 and mixing in some 4-3 on occasion but like I said most of the guys we're looking at are DE that can transition to OLB.

Yep.

2. He is a STUD

and the number one reason we should select Brandon Graham in the first round: Steve Ross gave a $100 million endowment to the University of Michigan and the business school is named the Ross School for Business :lol::lol:

ok - so the last one is just an interesting tidbit. This guy has been a productive force and would be a great addition to our team!

My only concern is that Parcells and Ireland seem to have a height requirement. It will be up to Nolan to petition for these "shorter" guys and try to convince the FO he can make it work. If they would relax their height issues it would open up a lot more players to the Dolphins.

Elliott 1
04-15-2010, 10:04 PM

2. He is a STUD

Arthur Moats is better!!!!!!!! Why?????????????????????

1. He is studlier
2. He has a bigger motor
3. It is ridiculous to suggest Graham as a 3-4 End
4. Moats was the Buch Buchanon award winner
5. Moats had just as many TFL's and sacks and way more tackles
6. Moats is more NFL ready because he played standing up more than Graham.
7. Moats is much faster and quicker than Graham
8. Moats has extremely long arms
9. Moats is known for his IQ and vocal leadership
10. Moats was more productive than Graham his senior year and he did while being double or triple teamed most of the time.

The number 1+tripleAAA super top reason we should draft Moats is that he has the biggest heart in the draft and we can get him in the 4th.
Why blow our 1st on a position we can fill in the 4th.

BillParFan
04-15-2010, 10:09 PM
My only concern is that Parcells and Ireland seem to have a height requirement. It will be up to Nolan to petition for these "shorter" guys and try to convince the FO he can make it work. If they would relax their height issues it would open up a lot more players to the Dolphins.

Hmmmmmm......

We were there longer than we usually are and the longer youre there the more evaluation you get, the more players you talk to and the more in depth you get with the players, he said. It was very helpful for us, not just for the team that we coached but for the other team as well as we got some good inside track on those players as well. I think it was outstanding and I would do it again.

I put a lot of weight on how the player plays, I put a lot of weight on that, and the Combine helps me kind of verify what Im seeing on tape. Sometimes at the bottom of the end of the draft youre looking at guys that run fast and are big, height, weight, speed guys, and I pay attention to that for sure. But Im trying to find good football players, not guys that run fast and jump high.:ponder:

datruth55
04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Hmmmmmm......
:ponder:
I'm guessing Sparano said that? You did notice he mentions height.

Sometimes at the bottom of the end of the draft you’re looking at guys that run fast and are big, height, weight, speed guys, and I pay attention to that for sure.
You do know that he only gets input and it's Ireland and Parcells that make the picks.

Let's not forget that Sparano is the guy that said Marshall is not a fit in Miami so how much say does he really have?

Phin-Phan 66
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM

1. He is studlier
2. He has a bigger motor
3. It is ridiculous to suggest Graham as a 3-4 End
4. Moats was the Buch Buchanon award winner
5. Moats had just as many TFL's and sacks and way more tackles
6. Moats is more NFL ready because he played standing up more than Graham.
7. Moats is much faster and quicker than Graham
8. Moats has extremely long arms
9. Moats is known for his IQ and vocal leadership
10. Moats was more productive than Graham his senior year and he did while being double or triple teamed most of the time.

The number 1+tripleAAA super top reason we should draft Moats is that he has the biggest heart in the draft and we can get him in the 4th.
Why blow our 1st on a position we can fill in the 4th.

So if Moats is better, why would Graham be ranked as the #1 prospect and Moats as the # 17 at the position? Why is one a projected 4th-5th round pick while the other is projected to go in the first?
Moats is good, but not Brandon Graham good, that's why. :up:

BillParFan
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm guessing Sparano said that? You did notice he mentions height.

You do know that he only gets input and it's Ireland and Parcells that make the picks.

Let's not forget that Sparano is the guy that said Marshall is not a fit in Miami so how much say does he really have?

That was Ireland (http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/ireland-putting-his-poker-face-upcoming-draft) although Tony said much the same at NFL owners meetings

datruth55
04-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Cause you're a student at James Madison?

ckparrothead
04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Let me offer you an 11th reason.

Because THESE are your in-house alternatives...

Charlie Anderson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDV6y4E7Z9g

Quentin Moses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um8wPIfmWBc

ckparrothead
04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
See I'm worried that he might go #10 to Jacksonville. They play a real multiple scheme and he'd be perfect there.

zach8111
04-15-2010, 10:35 PM
See I'm worried that he might go #10 to Jacksonville. They play a real multiple scheme and he'd be perfect there.

i actually think derrick morgan will be there pick

datruth55
04-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Heard Jack Del Rio say they're no longer going to run the 3-4 defense. It's 4-3 all the way now. I think Jacksonville goes with Derrick Morgan, he just seems like the kind of player Del Rio likes.

ckparrothead
04-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Interesting. I hope it's true.

Phin-Phan 66
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM

I'm aware of their protype size requirements but this guy is just an off the charts football player. Since when is 6'2, 270 lbs undersized?
I would hate to pass on him because his arms are 32" instead of 33".

64 tackles, 42 solo, 26 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and 31 reps on the bench.

In the Senior bowl alone 5 tackles 2 sacks and a forced fumble which earned him MVP honors.

The guy is a beast ...

hooshoops
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Heard Jack Del Rio say they're no longer going to run the 3-4 defense. It's 4-3 all the way now. I think Jacksonville goes with Derrick Morgan, he just seems like the kind of player Del Rio likes.

he just seems like the kind of player this regime likes also...

datruth55
04-15-2010, 10:48 PM
he just seems like the kind of player this regime likes also...
Yeah, but will he last long enough. I could see Seattle taking him too but not at #6.

datruth55
04-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm aware of their protype size requirements but this guy is just an off the charts football player. Since when is 6'2, 270 lbs undersized?
I would hate to pass on him because his arms are 32" instead of 33".

64 tackles, 42 solo, 26 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and 31 reps on the bench.

In the Senior bowl alone 5 tackles 2 sacks and a forced fumble which earned him MVP honors.

The guy is a beast ...
I'm not arguing the fact that the kid is a baller. I'm just stating that this FO likes guys who are 6'4" 255+ lbs to play OLB. They like the prototypical height, weight for certain positions.

ckparrothead
04-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm not arguing the fact that the kid is a baller. I'm just stating that this FO likes guys who are 6'4" 255+ lbs to play OLB. They like the prototypical height, weight for certain positions.

I don't think anyone here knows enough about their standards to accurately say whether Graham is on the board or off it.

Personally I think that if they knock Brandon Graham out for any reason it would be purely because they believe he's a DE and not a LB. I would disagree with that, but I would at least see where they are coming from on it.

newlownorder
04-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Yep, you hit it on the head. Tuna Co. is very strict with LB size requirement.

hooshoops
04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
if jason worilds is on our board there's no reason brandon graham shouldn't be...although i feel more confident that jason worilds is because he...

1. is very fluid in lb drills and drops his hips nicely...very natural
2. was actually brought in for a workout

but i can see where graham may not be viewed as an olb...but that also would apply to derrick morgan imo...except we did work him out in person

so who knows...i still don't think these guys would take a de to convert to olb with a top 12 pick if they haven't seen him workout as a lb...

BlueFin
04-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Interesting. I hope it's true.

Interesting, have you soured on Derrick Morgan? How much higher are you on Grahm over Morgan?

I think Spiller would be an interesting pick if he's around, then spend the rest of the draft on defense.

ckparrothead
04-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Interesting, have you soured on Derrick Morgan? How much higher are you on Grahm over Morgan?

I think Spiller would be an interesting pick if he's around, then spend the rest of the draft on defense.

Derrick Morgan is still on the list of guys I enjoy watching and I would love to have him but I do think he is more of a DE than OLB and I wonder if he's got the pure quickness and speed necessary to keep up with Tight Ends and Running Backs. He also has a tendency to end up on the ground, doesn't play with enough balance.

I think that Brandon Graham has everything Morgan may lack in that regard, not to mention experience at the LB position.

You know, we've gotten some out of left field stuff from this staff all off season. None more surprising than the sudden Brandon Marshall trade. Nobody thought they'd re-sign Pennington, until they did. In fact, days before they did, it was written that Pennington has settled on moving on to another team and he would not sign back with Miami. Nobody saw them bringing Ferg back after his suspension. There had been no leaks about their interest in Karlos Dansby until the 11th hour. Jeff Ireland pulled a fast one on people when he talked about how much better Gibril Wilson would be next year, and then he up and released him. Both Ireland and Sparano pulled a fast one on us all when they talked about how Brandon Marshall and those other divas don't fit what we do, and then they up and grabbed him for two 2nd round picks and gave him one of the richest WR contracts in history.

These guys are pretty freakin' clandestine about their intentions, especially this off season. And so, in a way, it would shock me if their target at #12 was one of the players we "know" to have piqued their interest (Earl Thomas, Derrick Morgan). Especially Morgan, since there's an open question about whether he'll fall to Miami's pick.

BlueFin
04-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Very true, Would you hate Spiller being the selection?

hooshoops
04-15-2010, 11:27 PM
it's possible that all requirements are out the window now...

cause if you would have asked me if i thought parcells would sign off to trade 2 second round picks and make a wr who's one more screw up away from a full year suspension the highest paid wr in the game i would have said you were nuts...

before yesterday...

Phin-Phan 66
04-15-2010, 11:29 PM
CK - that's exactly what I'm hoping for. The perceived lack of interest in a player of Graham's caliber is interesting. I'm hoping they saw all they needed at the senior bowl and on tape.

hooshoops
04-15-2010, 11:29 PM
and i absolutely agree with everything ck said there about derrick morgan...more de than olb to me...lacks the speed and quick acceleration imo as an olb

but i just can't rule him out...

DKphin
04-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Every time I start to ponder the 1st selection and my mind goes through all the possibilities, I always comeback to Brandon Graham being the most logical choice. Sure, Parcells and Co. could go in another direction such as FS, but if you weigh all the factors, I think Graham is the best choice on the board. I just do not want another team to nab him before us. Hopefully, he will still be there.:up:

newlownorder
04-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Ck, when watching Morgan look at his first initial step/reaction to a play developing. I believe that standing up would actually benefit him.

DKphin
04-15-2010, 11:40 PM

cause if you would have asked me if i thought parcells would sign off to trade 2 second round picks and make a wr who's one more screw up away from a full year suspension the highest paid wr in the game i would have said you were nuts...

before yesterday...
:lol2:

ckparrothead
04-15-2010, 11:40 PM

before yesterday...

In that way, even C.J. Spiller would not surprise me anymore. I was *sure* that even though there are a lot of perceived hard rules about what they would or wouldn't do that don't really have a solid base of evidence...the ONE I could isolate and say to myself ok, this one they actually believe in and it's the one prediction I'm comfortable making on the basis of past history...now that Brandon Marshall's here I suddenly have to ask myself, why wouldn't they take Spiller again?

JT-forpresident
04-15-2010, 11:42 PM
In that way, even C.J. Spiller would not surprise me anymore. I was *sure* that even though there are a lot of perceived hard rules about what they would or wouldn't do that don't really have a solid base of evidence...the ONE I could isolate and say to myself ok, this one they actually believe in and it's the one prediction I'm comfortable making on the basis of past history...now that Brandon Marshall's here I suddenly have to ask myself, why wouldn't they take Spiller again?

you're right, hoosh too ...

this offseason has me hanging on like --> :ohno:

:lol:

BlueFin
04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
As much as we all want more defense, it is intriquing to think about this offense with Spiller and Marshall in the mix.

I'm not discounting the importance of defense at all, but, I think most of us can agree this league and the rules changes of late make scoring points a premium as well.

hooshoops
04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
i've got no problem with spiller...none...would love it...

but i don't feel very confident about what olbs will be available to us at #74 who could come in from day 1 and play a solid run defending solb...

those guys are going fast...and there aren't many of them to begin with...

datruth55
04-15-2010, 11:46 PM
CK - that's exactly what I'm hoping for. The perceived lack of interest in a player of Graham's caliber is interesting. I'm hoping they saw all they needed at the senior bowl and on tape.
That's been at the back of my mind. They didn't show up at his pro day but I know they got a good look at him at the Senior Bowl. It just all seems a little to purposely coy.

hooshoops
04-15-2010, 11:51 PM
a cj spiller and brandon marshall offseason....you want to talk about adding playmakers...that's the definition right there...

wow

sure would be nice...

JT-forpresident
04-15-2010, 11:51 PM
i've got no problem with spiller...none...would love it...

but i don't feel very confident about what olbs will be available to us at #74 who could come in from day 1 and play a solid run defending solb...

those guys are going fast...and there aren't many of them to begin with...

no one would be comfortable with our OLB position if we don't draft one with #12 ...

But I answer your question with a rhetoric one

What can Mike Nolan, do for you ?

see, i don't believe in miracle workers and such, but that man right here has built average to solid defences with not a lot in his hands...
And like another poster sugested, this league is favoring the scoring and putting all kinds of rules and shenanagans that give an edge to offence-oriented teams

If spiller is there, I think the first thing Jeff is going to do, is call just about everyone to offer the 12th pick, and if he can't deal it, he'll have yet another ambitious call to make

ckparrothead
04-15-2010, 11:53 PM
And we don't even have very good word on whether they were at his pro day or not, either. Armando implied it but didn't really say it. Could be him just being him.

I would love C.J. Spiller. Top 6 talent in this draft, same as Dez Bryant. But we'd have to do something with Ronnie Brown. Maybe get that 2nd rounder back in a trade with San Diego? That would be nice. They could look at the OLB position with 2nd and 3rd round picks, doubling up as they're accustomed, grab two guys like Koa Misi and Thaddeus Gibson.

And in light of the Brandon Marshall trade, I'll be god damned if I can figure a valid reason to ignore Greg Hardy in the 3rd round.

JT-forpresident
04-15-2010, 11:55 PM
a cj spiller and brandon marshall offseason....you want to talk about adding playmakers...that's the definition right there...

wow

sure would be nice...

Imagine Chad Henne, he must be the happiest man in south florida :lol:

ckparrothead
04-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Personally I think this whole thing going on with Jason Taylor and the Jets is a charade and Taylor will be back with us. They could very well decide that the OLB position will be fine with a combination of Cameron Wake, Jason Taylor, and some draft picks. Maybe throw in a Quentin Moses. I have more faith in Moses than Anderson based on the videos I created.

Phin-Phan 66
04-15-2010, 11:56 PM
I sure will be happy when these questions are answered and I can get back to working a full day...

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 12:00 AM
i agree...taylor returns...but i don't think it's wise to promise him a certain number of snaps at this stage of his career

datruth55
04-16-2010, 12:03 AM
I sure will be happy when these questions are answered and I can get back to working a full day...
lol, that won't happen. We'll be spending time on here talking about all the draft picks and how we think they'll fit in.

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
ck, in your mike nolan defense where would you see austin spitzer (sp???) fitting???

cause that guy seems like he's already on the roster...

also...i've seen zero tape of his...what does he bring to the table to you short and long term???

SBN3YEARS
04-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Aren't his arms too small for Parcells? Not sure if it is him or not.

BillParFan
04-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Personally I think this whole thing going on with Jason Taylor and the Jets is a charade and Taylor will be back with us. They could very well decide that the OLB position will be fine with a combination of Cameron Wake, Jason Taylor, and some draft picks. Maybe throw in a Quentin Moses. I have more faith in Moses than Anderson based on the videos I created.

The FO is not going to tip their hand, as much as it upsets:boohoo: some here.

But CK, I do LOVE that scenario you posted a few days ago.:err:

the one where Taylor played the Patsies last year.:lol:

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 12:21 AM
They never promised him anything in 2009. He ended up a full time starter because of the problem with Matt Roth. Just worked out that way.

Something I've been thinking is, we can't count on Cam Wake being the full time WOLB. Nor should he be rushing from the right side on pass downs. He has to prove it first. If you re-hire Jason Taylor and have him play at a comfortable weight for him, instead of having him beef up like they did in 2009...and you play him back on the right side where he's always been more comfortable, I think you may have a decent WOLB on your hands. So if Cameron Wake can't translate his monstrous strength and athleticism as a SOLB in the 3-4, then you can always get a limited player that could be counted on to do that. You'd still have a combo of Taylor and Wake on pass rush downs.

Greg Hardy in the 3rd round...if they're finally open to the idea of grabbing talented guys with character issues and using a strong locker room and disciplinarian staff to keep them straight...you don't get much more talented than Hardy. He has everything they look for in a convert. He's huge at 6'4" and 281 lbs. He's explosive, showed off a 35" vertical and 10'0" broad jump at that size. He has a basketball background. He has natural ball skills, even played WR for Ole Miss and caught 3 TDs. He can move, is smooth. He's actually too heavy, you'd want him to lose weight down to about 265 I should think, get him faster.

Speaking of faster. I was having an argument with Richard a while ago about transition and the times of people between their 20 yard split and their 40 yard split. It's sort of an estimate of how fast you are at your fastest. I did those times for everyone that weighed between 225 and 290 lbs at the Combine. Guys that weighed between 265 and 290 lbs averaged 2.08 seconds. Hardy's was 1.98 seconds. The only one of the 14 players in that weight range that did better was Everson Griffen at 1.97 seconds, and he weighed 8 lbs less than Hardy. At his Pro Day, Hardy went on to flash a 1.95 second split in this measure. At the Combine, the only players that weighed 225 lbs or more that flashed better top speed were Dorin Dickerson and Taylor Mays at 1.85 seconds, Ed Dickson at 1.90 seconds, Anthony Dixon, Jimmy Graham and Clay Harbor at 1.92 seconds, and Toby Gerhart at 1.94 seconds. Jonathan Dwyer and Roddrick Muckelroy tied at 1.95 seconds.

To me that kind of top speed while getting off the blocks slow indicates you're a little too heavy, and that you're not a very polished track star.

BlueFin
04-16-2010, 12:21 AM
And we don't even have very good word on whether they were at his pro day or not, either. Armando implied it but didn't really say it. Could be him just being him.

I would love C.J. Spiller. Top 6 talent in this draft, same as Dez Bryant. But we'd have to do something with Ronnie Brown. Maybe get that 2nd rounder back in a trade with San Diego? That would be nice. They could look at the OLB position with 2nd and 3rd round picks, doubling up as they're accustomed, grab two guys like Koa Misi and Thaddeus Gibson.

And in light of the Brandon Marshall trade, I'll be god damned if I can figure a valid reason to ignore Greg Hardy in the 3rd round.

Also, Ronnie Brown's contract situation and injury history could make Spiller a more realistic possibility than one might think on the surface.

I do think JT returns.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 12:26 AM
ck, in your mike nolan defense where would you see austin spitzer (sp???) fitting???

cause that guy seems like he's already on the roster...

also...i've seen zero tape of his...what does he bring to the table to you short and long term???

He's interesting. Watch him play for any extended period and you'd swear you're watching A.J. Edds. He's not as tall but he looks big on the field, like Edds. He has excellent footwork like Edds and he can really move around. He played a position for the Buckeyes that was basically the equivalent of SOLB in a 3-4. He was on the line. He rushed the passer. He fought Tight Ends, set the edge, etc. He was a backup LB to James Laurinaitis for a long time. Seems very smart on the field, a team captain despite his lack of playing time. He moves clean, between his upper and lower body. As I watched a good bit of him I couldn't help but chalk it up to this front office for finding a guy that basically never played, and yet he's as good as much more heralded players.

I think he'd have to kick inside in our scheme. Can't really rush the passer very well at all, not sure I'd trust him out on the edge in the NFL.

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 12:29 AM
i know they didn't promise taylor anything in 09 but taylor said after the season that if he returned he didn't want to be taken off the field on pass downs...i guess like he was last year some so wake could play...of course losing porter should help that...provided we don't bring in an olb that should be on the field on all pass downs...

cause cam wake HAS TO BE on the field on pass downs...and over anyone else currently on the roster...got to be...let that kid hunt

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Taylor also admitted that the reality of the situation was such that he knows he can't play every snap anymore and I think he's open how the Dolphins would want to play him. I wouldn't want him off the field on pass downs anyway. I think he and Wake will work well together as a duo.

Cameron Wake still isn't a guy that's going to get to the QB in a whole lot of different ways. A QB can sort of try and predict it, and that's where JT comes in because he can get there however he wants and if he knows what a QB and protection scheme is going to do in response to Wake's rush he is smart enough to take advantage. I remember he used to study Brian Griese and Griese always had this tendency to drop back and then step up a certain distance, Taylor loved it he could just meet him where Griese was going to be. Taylor as a guy that can react and use his head would be really good opposite Wake who is a guy that will use his phenomenal physical ability. And likewise because when Taylor flushes the QB, Wake as a guy that has massive physical ability and running skills can just beat the OLs to where the QB is going.

PhinsTD
04-16-2010, 12:50 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think it would be silly not to bring Taylor back. He can fill a variety of roles for the defense, and any guy we bring in is going to be a convert to 3-4 OLB and might need some time. Taylor can both help with that transition, and play valuable snaps for the team. Our second OLB pick can compete with Moses, Anderson et al for one of the last spots on the roster and develop.

I just feel like Taylor's experience, and still solid skills can help this team.

datruth55
04-16-2010, 12:55 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think it would be silly not to bring Taylor back. He can fill a variety of roles for the defense, and any guy we bring in is going to be a convert to 3-4 OLB and might need some time. Taylor can both help with that transition, and play valuable snaps for the team. Our second OLB pick can compete with Moses, Anderson et al for one of the last spots on the roster and develop.

I just feel like Taylor's experience, and still solid skills can help this team.
I just read in the Herald that Taylor has put his decision on hold. He's going to wait till after the draft and see if Miami has a spot for him before he signs with anybody else.

finfan54
04-16-2010, 01:03 AM

I tend to think this regime wants a guy who can stop the run, shut off outside and then rush the passer when they see pass. Derrick Morgan is probably that guy and JPP could be as well. JPP is raw in that regard IMO. Morgan is probably all around what they are looking for.

I think they think JT is not sound at stuffing run as they would like and JP was an idiot last year and ignored them and he sucked vs. run. I think they want someone who can do it all. Certainly, Graham can, but they want a little more meat and LOS toughness ala Matt Roth except much better.

For this reason, I do not discount Morgan whatsoever like alot of people here would. I do think he will go earlier however, henceforth, my estimation is Earl Thomas. DE/OLB is deep and they know what they like.

normaldude
04-16-2010, 01:51 AM
A little bit risky.

One of major weaknesses is our ability to cover tight ends.

If we have Cameron Wake on one side (weak in pass coverage), and Brandon Graham on the other side (DE in college, and a big question mark in pass coverage), tight ends could continue torching us.

PhinsTD
04-16-2010, 02:50 AM
I just read in the Herald that Taylor has put his decision on hold. He's going to wait till after the draft and see if Miami has a spot for him before he signs with anybody else.

No matter what you think of some of his decisions (dancing etc), you cannot question that Jason Taylor is a Miami Dolphin through and through.

It is not normal for a professional player to show the loyalty he has shown the Phins, even when they don't always show the same loyalty to him. Not only that, he has left far greater amounts of money on the table elsewhere to play with Miami a couple of times.

PhinsTD
04-16-2010, 02:52 AM
A little bit risky.

If we have Cameron Wake on one side (weak in pass coverage), and Brandon Graham on the other side (DE in college, and a big question mark in pass coverage), tight ends could continue torching us.

Part of the beauty of a Mike Nolan defense is that he schemes for this. He puts players in a position to accentuate their strengths in situations where those strengths are needed.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 03:30 AM
I tend to think this regime wants a guy who can stop the run, shut off outside and then rush the passer when they see pass. Derrick Morgan is probably that guy and JPP could be as well. JPP is raw in that regard IMO. Morgan is probably all around what they are looking for.

I think they think JT is not sound at stuffing run as they would like and JP was an idiot last year and ignored them and he sucked vs. run. I think they want someone who can do it all. Certainly, Graham can, but they want a little more meat and LOS toughness ala Matt Roth except much better.

For this reason, I do not discount Morgan whatsoever like alot of people here would. I do think he will go earlier however, henceforth, my estimation is Earl Thomas. DE/OLB is deep and they know what they like.

From everything I've seen, Graham is stronger and better against the run than Morgan. He's got plenty of meat on the bone, he's 268 lbs and used to play at 285 lbs. He's actually heavier than Derrick Morgan, though shorter, which makes him more stout.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 03:31 AM
A little bit risky.

I agree it's a risk. But I am not sure that we can pencil Wake in as a starter and so I really believe Miami should look to get Taylor back. One of the reasons that Karlos Dansby is here is because he can take some cover pressure off the OLBs. Plus, hopefully we'd have better safety play.

Ozfin77
04-16-2010, 04:31 AM
I still think we'd be wise to pick up A J Edds next week.

The guy is one of the best cover LB's available and picked of 5 passes this past season.

Although it seems nobody here wants to talk about him except me...Why is that?

PhinsTD
04-16-2010, 04:46 AM
I have seen many people speak of Edds, and most seem to love the idea of taking him or Spitler if one of them is there in the 6th.

j-off-her-doll
04-16-2010, 04:50 AM
I'd love to have Edds on our team - just depends upon how far he falls.

Ozfin77
04-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Edds wont be there in the 6th...or the 5th....or the 4th....

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 04:53 AM

well it's a chance i'd take...not someone i'd take with pick #74 i know that...and maybe not someone i'd take with #110

and i like him...but i don't like him top 3 rounds by any means

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 04:57 AM
I agree it's a risk. But I am not sure that we can pencil Wake in as a starter and so I really believe Miami should look to get Taylor back. One of the reasons that Karlos Dansby is here is because he can take some cover pressure off the OLBs. Plus, hopefully we'd have better safety play.

i've heard that dansby was more effective as a zone defender in zona than a man cover guy...one thing he does have which none of our ilbs can match is impressive pure speed...guy can really run for his size...

much needed influx of speed on this ilb core...very much needed...also brings the occasional big play to the group...something that crowder and ayodele only did about 1 time a year...

in just about every game i've watched of dansbys at some point he's making a big play...i've yet to see one where he just was a nonfactor...

Ozfin77
04-16-2010, 05:11 AM
well it's a chance i'd take...not someone i'd take with pick #74 i know that...and maybe not someone i'd take with #110

and i like him...but i don't like him top 3 rounds by any means

I tend to agree hoos, but man I'd love to have him!

PhinsTD
04-16-2010, 05:39 AM

Hence the interest in other ILB's. I'd say there is a chance Miami moves up more than once to grab a guy they like in that late 4th to early 6th area. Edds may be a guy they target.

I really like him as a niche cover ILB, and core specials teams player.

Romy148
04-16-2010, 06:03 AM
Man at 6'1 weighting 263 I got feeling he nees to watch that weight he is not a Brian Cushing.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 08:48 AM
i've heard that dansby was more effective as a zone defender in zona than a man cover guy...one thing he does have which none of our ilbs can match is impressive pure speed...guy can really run for his size...

much needed influx of speed on this ilb core...very much needed...also brings the occasional big play to the group...something that crowder and ayodele only did about 1 time a year...

in just about every game i've watched of dansbys at some point he's making a big play...i've yet to see one where he just was a nonfactor...

He does both really well. Honestly when I took to the Arizona footage on NFL Rewind after we got him, what I saw of him in coverage made me wonder if he's not the best coverage linebacker in the NFL.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
BTW I have some more information on Brandon Graham's Pro Day. What we already know is that the Jaguars and Falcons were two of at least 20 teams that were there, with the Jags sending their DL coach in addition to a scout. We also knew that he stood on his 4.71 time in the 40 from the Combine on the slow Lucas Oil turf, where he also did a superb 31 bench reps after measuring 6013 and 268 lbs with 32.5" arms. We had already heard that at his Pro Day he did DL and LB drills, and then just to show off how well he moves, he participated in DB drills as well.

What we didn't have were agility and explosion numbers but I just got those. His jump numbers were not that great at only 31.5" vertical and 9'3" broad jump. However, he nailed his agility drills with a 4.25 shuttle and 7.01 cone drill. Those numbers are well within ideal linebacker range and at 268 lbs that's pretty damned impressive. Better than Everson Griffen. Way better than Sergio Kindle. On par with Jason Worilds and not quite as good as Jerry Hughes, both of whom were more like 255 lbs (with a gallon of water in them, no doubt).

Overall I don't see knocking him out of contention for LB because he's one inch too short. Nor do I see knocking him out of contention for LB because you don't think he moves well enough. Those are just bad arguments.

Elliott 1
04-16-2010, 11:51 AM
BTW I have some more information on Brandon Graham's Pro Day. What we already know is that the Jaguars and Falcons were two of at least 20 teams that were there, with the Jags sending their DL coach in addition to a scout. We also knew that he stood on his 4.71 time in the 40 from the Combine on the slow Lucas Oil turf, where he also did a superb 31 bench reps after measuring 6013 and 268 lbs with 32.5" arms. We had already heard that at his Pro Day he did DL and LB drills, and then just to show off how well he moves, he participated in DB drills as well.

What we didn't have were agility and explosion numbers but I just got those. His jump numbers were not that great at only 31.5" vertical and 9'3" broad jump. However, he nailed his agility drills with a 4.25 shuttle and 7.01 cone drill. Those numbers are well within ideal linebacker range and at 268 lbs that's pretty damned impressive. Better than Everson Griffen. Way better than Sergio Kindle. On par with Jason Worilds and not quite as good as Jerry Hughes, both of whom were more like 255 lbs (with a gallon of water in them, no doubt).

Overall I don't see knocking him out of contention for LB because he's one inch too short. Nor do I see knocking him out of contention for LB because you don't think he moves well enough. Those are just bad arguments.

How about comparing his numbers to Alex Daniels.
Daniels is 6'2" 265 36.5 vertical 10'09" broad jump 7.08 3-cone 31 reps
The 10'09" broad jump must be close to a record for a guy 265. I've never seen a big guy go that far.

Again, my point being; there is plenty of talent in later rounds.

It just doesn't make sense to spend the number 12 on a guy who may or may not end up getting out played by a 4th or a even a 6th rounder in the NFL.

Daniels gifts and talent cannot be denied and not only that he is kid with a strong faith and a great academic background. Projecting I guess 5th-7th because he played RB his first two years and then transferred schools and moved to DE, but only started one season and had 8.5 sacks.

SR 7
04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
He does both really well. Honestly when I took to the Arizona footage on NFL Rewind after we got him, what I saw of him in coverage made me wonder if he's not the best coverage linebacker in the NFL.

you have a link or was it on tv? I'd love to watch them.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 12:21 PM
The shuttle number is also excellent for a guy like him. The shuttle is something some coaches target especially in linebackers. I believe Belichick tends to be a big shuttle time guy. The shuttle is all about lateral movement and the ability to move well in tighter spaces. I think I've heard Pat Kirwan talk about it before, and he even labeled 4.25 as a good cutoff time, guys that have a shuttle time below that are deemed to have ideal shuttle times for being a linebacker.

Here is a list of linebackers drafted that had 4.25 shuttle times or better, and what they did this year.

1. Brian Cushing (4.22) - I don't think I need to explain how awesome he was.
2. Clay Matthews (4.18) - Same, he had like 10 sacks as a 3-4 OLB rookie.
3. James Laurinaitis (4.24) - One of the league leaders in total tackles, excellent rookie.
4. Brad Jones (4.21) - Played 404 snaps opposite Matthews, got 19 plays on QB in 201 pass rushes, excellent numbers.
5. Dannell Ellerbe (4.23) - Claimed 595 snaps as a rookie LB.
6. Kaluka Maiava (4.20) - Claimed 470 snaps as a rookie LB.
7. Nic Harris (4.23) - Started a few games for the Bills, got 12 tackles in one of them, promising guy.
8. Spencer Adkins (4.25) - Active for a few Falcons games, mostly just a STs guy.
9. Marcus Freeman (4.12) - Generally a dud for the Bills.

So I take it as promising that at 268 lbs, Brandon Graham is testing into that group.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Wow, I just posted this big thing about how Graham's 4.25 shuttle is the most impressive number and it got deleted.

Suffice it to say that there were 9 LBs drafted that had shuttles of 4.25 or below. They werre Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, James Laurinaitis, Kaluka Maiava, Brad Jones, Nic Harris, Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman.

That list not only includes the best rookie LBs in the league, but among them the only two players that did not start games in 2009 were Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman. And though Dannell Ellerbe was undrafted, he played like 600 snaps for the Baltimore Ravens this year at linebacker, and he's another one with under a 4.25 in the shuttle.

Pat Kirwan wrote an article about the shuttle last year. He pointed out that for linebackers, the shuttle time is supposed to be king. Belichick is a big believer in it. It measures lateral quickness and quick movement in a smaller space, which is a linebacker's game. Kirwan mentioned that guys with under a 4.25 in the shuttle are considered to have an ideal measurement there.

The fact that at 268 lbs, Brandon Graham fits in that group, is nothing less than an excellent sign for his transition. I can buy the position switch argument relative to a guy as talented as Dez Bryant...or C.J. Spiller, or Eric Berry. After that, the position switch argument deteriorates for me.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 12:33 PM
alright i can see that...and if there was no outright position switch here i wouldn't even question it...

i know i'm sold on him as an olb...and much more so than derrick morgan...

if he doesn't pull a hammy at the combine these questions are probably all answered...the workout #s support the ability to switch to olb also...

Wow, I just posted this big thing about how Graham's 4.25 shuttle is the most impressive number and it got deleted.

Suffice it to say that there were 9 LBs drafted that had shuttles of 4.25 or below. They werre Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, James Laurinaitis, Kaluka Maiava, Brad Jones, Nic Harris, Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman.

That list not only includes the best rookie LBs in the league, but among them the only two players that did not start games in 2009 were Spencer Adkins and Marcus Freeman. And though Dannell Ellerbe was undrafted, he played like 600 snaps for the Baltimore Ravens this year at linebacker, and he's another one with under a 4.25 in the shuttle.

Pat Kirwan wrote an article about the shuttle last year. He pointed out that for linebackers, the shuttle time is supposed to be king. Belichick is a big believer in it. It measures lateral quickness and quick movement in a smaller space, which is a linebacker's game. Kirwan mentioned that guys with under a 4.25 in the shuttle are considered to have an ideal measurement there.

The fact that at 268 lbs, Brandon Graham fits in that group, is nothing less than an excellent sign for his transition. I can buy the position switch argument relative to a guy as talented as Dez Bryant...or C.J. Spiller, or Eric Berry. After that, the position switch argument deteriorates for me.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 01:02 PM

TedSlimmJr
04-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Not only that....but Nic Harris wasn't even a LB in college....he was a safety...

...a 268 pound DE churning out relatively the same shuttle times as a safety/linebacker convert is a loud and clear....HELLO!!!

Elliott 1
04-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Here is another reason for not drafting Graham with the #12.
http://www.shelbystar.com/sports/johnston-29436-time-nfl.html

You want to talk 20 yard shuttle numbers. How about a [4.18 ]

This dudes numbers blow away anybody in this years draft, including JPP and especially Brandon Grahams.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
alright i can see that...and if there was no outright position switch here i wouldn't even question it...

if he doesn't pull a hammy at the combine these questions are probably all answered...the workout #s support the ability to switch to olb also...

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Here is another reason for not drafting Graham with the #12.
http://www.shelbystar.com/sports/johnston-29436-time-nfl.html

You want to talk 20 yard shuttle numbers. How about a [4.18 ]

This dudes numbers blow away anybody in this years draft, including JPP and especially Brandon Grahams.

You're a pretty funny guy.

Phin-Phan 66
04-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm sold - bring me Brandon Graham!

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 06:24 PM
you have a link or was it on tv? I'd love to watch them.

I have a subscription to NFL Rewind. I re-watch a lot of NFL action around this time of year to figure out what teams already have, etc.

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 06:28 PM
How about comparing his numbers to Alex Daniels.
Daniels is 6'2" 265 36.5 vertical 10'09" broad jump 7.08 3-cone 31 reps
The 10'09" broad jump must be close to a record for a guy 265. I've never seen a big guy go that far.

Again, my point being; there is plenty of talent in later rounds.

It just doesn't make sense to spend the number 12 on a guy who may or may not end up getting out played by a 4th or a even a 6th rounder in the NFL.

Daniels gifts and talent cannot be denied and not only that he is kid with a strong faith and a great academic background. Projecting I guess 5th-7th because he played RB his first two years and then transferred schools and moved to DE, but only started one season and had 8.5 sacks.

1. Combine type measurements are no substitution for showing talent on the football field. They're merely a vindication of that talent on the tape, or a flag to go re-watch the tape so that you can identify things that you might not have seen before.

2. You say "a guy who may or may not end up getting out played by a 4th or even a 6th rounder in the NFL". Based on what? You've laid out zero justification for that statement. Why is Brandon Graham more likely to get out played by a late rounder than any other first round prospect?

BARF
04-16-2010, 06:50 PM
i am fearing that ross is going to tell bp to draft this kid because of the donation that would really piss me off, because that is what jerry jones is and we do not need that

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 07:36 PM
7.01 cone...very good indeed

i just don't see the harm in bringing the kid in to the facility and working him out specifically in lb drills...

trying to hide intention??? maybe but i would think it would be more in the event we trade down to not show we have any interest...but at the same time can you really even trade down 3 spots and feel confident that brandon graham makes it to you??? i wouldn't be confident of that...

so why not bring him in who cares if people think you like him and work him out??? it's not like he's a secret around the league...

ckparrothead
04-16-2010, 07:46 PM
For one thing I think they could be trying to fake out Jerry Jones with respect to Earl Thomas. Jones covets Thomas and Berry, won't have a crack at either but is thinking about a trade up for one of those two. He knows it will cost him but he wants a ball hawk like Earl pretty badly and Miami is a natural trading partner for the Cowboys.

If you start fawning over every linebacker out there, especially the one that most teams consider to be the best OLB prospect in the draft (yes, better than Derrick Morgan on most teams' draft boards), then that Earl Thomas fake out doesn't look all that believable...and suddenly Jerry Jones is talking to a team below #12 about trading up for Earl.

The moment they paid any amount of attention to Brandon Graham, mock drafts sending him to Miami would light up like a Christmas tree. The same is true of Dan Williams. Both of these guys are the players that people WANT to mock to Miami based on position need, fit and value.

Also, there's a decent chance that Jacksonville could take Graham at #10. They are the highest picking team that I've seen paying attention to Graham. If this is the guy you want, you don't want to show interest in him and make them think that their valuing the guy at #10 overall is not out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately in the draft I think you rarely get the player you REALLY want unless you're picking very high. So I think the general rule is just to NOT show people who you really want. There's no benefit to it. If you miss that guy then you've got disappointment from the fans and media, a perception you were forced to 'settle'. Meanwhile if you really do clue everyone in on who you really want then someone else that really wants the guy could trade ahead of you, or you could make it more likely that a team ahead of you goes ahead and takes him, feeling more confident in his valuation or thinking they couldn't trade back and still get him.

I think it's just a general rule, not really worth overthinking about.

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 07:46 PM
one more thing...i would think off of what i saw even on those youtube highlights of graham working out for the combine that his cone drill would be good...

as we've already stated guy stays well balanced his feet underneath him at all times so i would think he'd be able to round those cones tight and explode off of them...indicative of that very good # for a 268 lb guy

hooshoops
04-16-2010, 07:55 PM
For one thing I think they could be trying to fake out Jerry Jones with respect to Earl Thomas. Jones covets Thomas and Berry, won't have a crack at either but is thinking about a trade up for one of those two. He knows it will cost him but he wants a ball hawk like Earl pretty badly and Miami is a natural trading partner for the Cowboys.

If you start fawning over every linebacker out there, especially the one that most teams consider to be the best OLB prospect in the draft (yes, better than Derrick Morgan on most teams' draft boards), then that Earl Thomas fake out doesn't look all that believable...and suddenly Jerry Jones is talking to a team below #12 about trading up for Earl.

The moment they paid any amount of attention to Brandon Graham, mock drafts sending him to Miami would light up like a Christmas tree. The same is true of Dan Williams. Both of these guys are the players that people WANT to mock to Miami based on position need, fit and value.

Also, there's a decent chance that Jacksonville could take Graham at #10. They are the highest picking team that I've seen paying attention to Graham. If this is the guy you want, you don't want to show interest in him and make them think that their valuing the guy at #10 overall is not out of the ordinary.

Unfortunately in the draft I think you rarely get the player you REALLY want unless you're picking very high. So I think the general rule is just to NOT show people who you really want. There's no benefit to it. If you miss that guy then you've got disappointment from the fans and media, a perception you were forced to 'settle'. Meanwhile if you really do clue everyone in on who you really want then someone else that really wants the guy could trade ahead of you, or you could make it more likely that a team ahead of you goes ahead and takes him, feeling more confident in his valuation or thinking they couldn't trade back and still get him.

I think it's just a general rule, not really worth overthinking about.