PDA

View Full Version : NCAA: Taunting will nullify some touchdowns

BAMAPHIN 22
04-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Currently, players who are penalized for taunting on their way to the end zone draw a 15-yard penalty on the extra point attempt, 2-point conversion attempt or the ensuing kickoff.

Beginning in 2011, live-ball penalties will be assessed from the spot of the foul and eliminate the score. Examples include players finishing touchdown runs by high-stepping into the end zone or pointing the ball toward an opponent.

Celebration penalties following a score will continue to be assessed on conversion attempts or the ensuing kickoff.

“I think one of the reasons it’s been looked at is that when a penalty occurs on the field, it’s normally taken from the spot,” Teaff said. “This was the only occurrence that it wasn’t taken from the spot, so they wanted to change that.”

Taunting has caused an annual debate among college football players, coaches and fans, and last season’s big controversy stemmed from Georgia receiver A.J. Green receiving a 15-year personal foul penalty after he caught a go-ahead touchdown pass late in a game against LSU.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36562117/ns/sports-college_football/

Clipse
04-16-2010, 05:53 AM
That's a joke imo.

Rafiki
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
LAME. Why not let them have fun? It seems to me that this is more about the refs perception of showboating than anything else.

chrisbaucom
04-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Stupid way to enforce this rule. That AJ Green call was one of the worst calls ever in a game.

TedSlimmJr
04-16-2010, 07:26 PM
This is not going to end good....hopefully they re-think this in time for the 2011 season...

The first time one of these officials takes a TD off the board and gets one of these coaches fired....all hell is going to break loose..

CedarPhin
04-16-2010, 08:20 PM
What a dumb rule.

COphinphan89
04-17-2010, 12:12 AM
After this and the eye-black rule, can we just place the NCAA's logo next to the word "fascism" in the dictionary?

Awsi Dooger
04-17-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm glad I was able to see decades of college football before the morons took over.

I certainly hope it's reviewable. Hardly impossible for a nitwit ref with a bad angle to interpret something as (horrors) celebration when actually it was not.

CedarPhin
04-17-2010, 05:57 AM
It's appalling at the **** the NCAA does. Everything they do is a complete double standard, though this seems to apply to everybody. High stepping and the such are just forms of expression, do we want the Soviet Bloc of CFB now? What's next? No shows of emotion on a game-winning FG? Are we in Russia?

They should just disband it and start over with a new organization.

SuavePhin
04-17-2010, 10:33 AM
I can see it now, down by 2 a team lines up for a 40 yard FG with 1 second on the clock, kicker drills the ball going to right down the middle with plenty of distance to spare, a lineman realizes it's going to be a win and starts to celebrate before the ball has gone 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, then.........

PENALTY!! taunting by the lineman and the kick must be re-attempted again 15 yards from where the ball was in the air at the point of the infraction :crazy:

HurriPhin
04-17-2010, 07:20 PM
How stupid. They've certainly ruined the passion and unbridled excitement of the college game.