PDA

View Full Version : Excited About the 6th and 7th Rounds?

KillerJosh373
04-16-2010, 04:23 AM
Considering that 6 of Miami's 9 picks will be in the last two rounds this year, I was wondering how much value the Fins might be able to find in the 6th and 7th. Hopefully we can add some earlier picks by either trading back in the 1st or by trading Smiley/Ginn/Ronnie etc... But if we can't pull off anything substantial, it seems that the team will need to find A LOT of value in the last rds if they're going to receive a significant contribution from the draft this upcoming season.
After looking over Parcells/Ireland's past two drafts with the Fins, it looks like this FO has done a decent job finding talent at the end of the draft. They definitely seem to do a lot better when they have a lot of picks at their disposal, so hopefully that means good things for this year.
Here's a look at the 2008 "Irrelevants".
08 6th Rd:
Pick # 176- RB Jalen Parmele: Jalen was cut from the team just 3 games into his rookie season.He was actually on the Ravens 2009 roster, contributing 17 yards on 5 carries, 6 special teams tackles and racking up 283 kick return yards on just 9 returns. Decent special teams player for a 6th rder, but still not the greatest pick (especially considering that he never played a down in the regular season for Miami)
Pick # 195- OG Donald Thomas: Donald was named a starting guard during training camp of his rookie season. Unfortunately his progress has been stunted because of injuries. Still, it seems pretty clear he'll have a place in the NFL for awhile and has the potential to be the Fins starting right guard of the future. I'd be very happy to find another Donald Thomas in the 6th rd. of this years draft.
Pick #204- RB Lex Hilliard: Spent his rookie year on the practice squad. Hilliard has shown a lot of potential during the preseason but has yet to make much of an impact during the regular season. Not sure how valuable he really is or if he'll ever make a real impact on the team. An average pick I'd say. Could be a contributor this year or he could get cut after training camp, I really don't know.

7th rd.
Pick # 245- DE Lionel Dotson: Hey, he's still on the team atleast. Probably won't get the chance to contribute unless there are injuries to other DEs. Hasn't really done anything, wouldn't be surprised if he was replaced.

2008 Undrafted Rookies
The Fins found more value with undrafted rookies in 2008 than they did with their picks in the 6th and 7th rd. Davone Bess has arguably been the teams best receiver since he was signed. And Dan Carpenter has already been selected to the Pro Bowl.

2009 6th Rd.
Pick # 181- OT Andrew Gardner: Gardner was great in college and could have decent potential in the NFL. But, he hasn't done anything yet. Will probably be given the opportunity to become the teams primary backup tackle this offseason, but could very well be cut if the FO can find a better prospect or if a veteran is available for cheap. Decent pick considering the college production.

2009 7th Rd.
Pick # 214- LB J.D. Folsom- Probably didn't need to waste a pick on him, Folsom himself didn't expect to get drafted. He was released from and signed to the active roster multiple times during his rookie season. Is definitely a fast player, but I'd be surprised if he ever became anything more than an average special teamer. Hopefully the Fins can find players with a little bit more upside in the 2010 7th round.

2009 Undrafted Rookies:
The Fins didn't really find anyone of significance in the 2009 undrafted FA market. Technically, OT Lyndon Murtha wasn't an undrafted rookie but he was picked up after being drafted in the 7th rd and then cut by the Lions. Murtha has survived on the roster longer than most and should be given the same opportunity Andrew Gardner will be given to compete for a backup spot. DT/DE Ryan Baker was an undrafted guy who was off and on the active roster during his rookie season last year. Baker has contributed more tackles than J.D. Folsom so far, beating Folsom 2 to 1. Baker is deep on the depth chart though and could have a difficult time making the team again this year if the Fins draft a d-lineman.

So basically it seems like this FO does have the ability to find some quality players in the 6th and 7th rd. 2008 was much, much better than 2009 though. So hopefully by having so many picks, the Fins will be able to achieve in 2010 what they were able to achieve in 08. Ok, I'm done.

finfan54
04-16-2010, 04:28 AM
KR/PR
OLB #2
QB
C/G
TE

not neccessarily in that order.

Danny
04-16-2010, 04:44 AM
if we can get 2 players that can contribute out of the 6 picks we have in rounds 6 and 7 then it's a big win for us.....don't expect much more than that.

Ozzy rules!!

X-Pacolypse
04-16-2010, 07:09 AM
I think we can get a guy like Central Michigan's Antonio Brown in the sixth round and he would be ideal replacement for Ted Ginn.

#1dolphinsfan
04-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Freddie Barnes would be a good pick up in the seventh round IMO

3rdandinches
04-16-2010, 07:15 AM
We need to get a NT that can develope over a couple years like D.Granger in the 6th or 7th rounds. This is on top of grabbing alittle more polished one earlier.

I'd love to get a D.Gettis WR, E.Sanders WR, M.Johnson ILB aswell with those late picks.

#1dolphinsfan
04-16-2010, 07:20 AM
We need to get a NT that can develope over a couple years like D.Granger in the 6th or 7th rounds. This is on top of grabbing alittle more polished one earlier.

I'd love to get a D.Gettis WR, E.Sanders WR, M.Johnson ILB aswell with those late picks.
Aleric Mullins would be a good devlopment NT he is 6'1 319 pounds