PDA

View Full Version : A Quote That Haunts Me...But Is Empowering In A Way..

GoonBoss
04-16-2010, 07:44 PM
You love playing with that. You love playing with all your stuffed animals. You love your Mommy, your Daddy. You love your pajamas. You love everything, don't ya? Yea. But you know what, buddy? As you get older... some of the things you love might not seem so special anymore. Like your Jack-in-a-Box. Maybe you'll realize it's just a piece of tin and a stuffed animal. And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.

This is from "The Hurt Locker" A great film. It's not particularly good at anything it does, but the overall package is very, very good. Ever since I've heard this quote I've been sort of haunted by it.

It really hit me how I've elvolved. I recently destroyed a freindship, purposely, because I just didn't want to be bothered by it anymore. It wasn't that I activly did it...I just let it die.

I just can't be bothered by things now. People at work have tried to embrace me, and I have had problems, because I'm courtious, but not freindly. I find I'm curling in on myself and it's a bit disconcerting that I hear it put in such a way.

I don't know why I even posted this, but maybe I can emote more here than IRL at times.

Slim
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey Goon,

Way to kill my mood on this fine Friday evening!

No but in all seriousness, that quote stuck to me when i saw Hurt Locker as well. Funny enough, i thought that movie was grossly overrated.

Anyway, it's amazing how as we age and become wiser, we lose all innocence and our ability to appreciate the small things in life. Gonna go have a few shots of whiskey.

GoonBoss
04-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey Goon,

Way to kill my mood on this fine Friday evening!

No but in all seriousness, that quote stuck to me when i saw Hurt Locker as well. Funny enough, i thought that movie was grossly overrated.

Anyway, it's amazing how as we age and become wiser, we lose all innocence and our ability to appreciate the small things in life. Gonna go have a few shots of whiskey.

I think Hollywood was looking for a war movie..Not to mention, it was Karen Biggalow, and someone has to put Cameron's ego in check. I think in any other year Hurt Locker doesn't win.

I really liked the film. EOD is it's own world. I tried out for EOD once, and failed the PT test, which is pretty rigerous.

I'm not sure how much wiser I've become, but I do know that I'm in the process of shutting windows. I've seen it for a while, but I've never really seen it in the light that was cast from a different angle.

Funny how the shadows fall when light is cast from a different direction.

Bobby Humphrey
04-16-2010, 09:50 PM
This is from "The Hurt Locker" A great film. It's not particularly good at anything it does, but the overall package is very, very good. Ever since I've heard this quote I've been sort of haunted by it.

It really hit me how I've elvolved. I recently destroyed a freindship, purposely, because I just didn't want to be bothered by it anymore. It wasn't that I activly did it...I just let it die.

I just can't be bothered by things now. People at work have tried to embrace me, and I have had problems, because I'm courtious, but not freindly. I find I'm curling in on myself and it's a bit disconcerting that I hear it put in such a way.

I don't know why I even posted this, but maybe I can emote more here than IRL at times.

i have never seen that movie .... but reading your post was like looking into my soul ....

the older i get and the more i see this world and the people in it the less i want to be part of it.

i have two things that keep me going. family and the miami dolphins.

GoonBoss
04-16-2010, 10:02 PM
i have never seen that movie .... but reading your post was like looking into my soul ....

the older i get and the more i see this world and the people in it the less i want to be part of it.

i have two things that keep me going. family and the miami dolphins.

In the prison I work in, it's important to be in a team mentality. I'm all for team and, I'll be in with the team. Everyone can count on me.

Just don't count on me to be your friend. I'm not your friend. I'll be there to beat the living **** out of the con that assaulted you (Theoreticly because we don't do that.) But don't count on me to come over on saturdays for a cookout.

I'm just not that guy. My family is everything.

I just don't need people I can't count on existing around me.

Ricky4Life
04-17-2010, 12:43 AM
In the prison I work in, it's important to be in a team mentality. I'm all for team and, I'll be in with the team. Everyone can count on me.

Just don't count on me to be your friend. I'm not your friend. I'll be there to beat the living **** out of the con that assaulted you (Theoreticly because we don't do that.) But don't count on me to come over on saturdays for a cookout.

I'm just not that guy. My family is everything.

I just don't need people I can't count on existing around me.

I completely agree with you Goon.

GoonBoss
04-17-2010, 01:03 AM

Just me expending loose gas.

SpurzN703
04-21-2010, 10:35 PM

You feel this way at 24 already? :d-day:

Ricky4Life
04-22-2010, 12:14 AM
You feel this way at 24 already? :d-day:

Got married early and had kids early, and at that point I decided what was important in life. I have very few close friends. I agree with Goon, I am the type of person that will be there to smile at you and help you if need be but I will not go out and have a beer with you. I would rather be at home with the wife and kids. Goon summed it up best in that you don't need people that you can't count on. I had my first kid at 20 and was married at 21, had my second kid at 23.

StormChaser101
04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I got married and had my first kid at 24 the second at 26. When came down to trying to ask for advice and mental consolation. The group of guys that were "always there" were quick to turn and burn. They didn't want anything to do with a guy who had family ties. Being a part of that group I was in had the mind set that having a kid and being married were a lifetime of servitude to a nagging wife and whiney kids. Which ironically enough became the foundation for stable living. After the parting of the me and "the crew" i adopted the policy of be friendly with many be friends with few. But I have a beautiful wife and two kids I couldn't have wished for.

SpurzN703
04-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I understand. I don't have kids but I have been married for almost four years. I do enjoy the balance between hanging with the wife and with my buddies whenever I can. Life isn't what it was growing up but I assume that's how it was always supposed to be.

GoonBoss
04-25-2010, 07:32 AM
I understand. I don't have kids but I have been married for almost four years. I do enjoy the balance between hanging with the wife and with my buddies whenever I can. Life isn't what it was growing up but I assume that's how it was always supposed to be.

It's really not about that man. It's good if you have buddies. I wish I had buddies to a degree. I don't think I have the capability to tolerate buddies though. I have a few buddies that I talk to on the phone that are close to me, but, they are phone. They don't come over.

I posted this when I was drunk, and no coincidence, I'm hammered again....Draft weekend...Wooo!

The whole thing of it is, I guess is where you are in life. I'm 42. Almost 43. I'm still scratching and clawing. I think I've got it right finally.

What I meant this as was a commentary on what we (me) sees as important. Most of my co workers are dicks. They have to be, but it doesn't make them any more attractive to me to hang out with.

I will beat the living **** out of a con (Again, we don't do that, so it's purely theoretcal and of literary license. ) If he tries to handle up on one of the boys. (In theory)

I just guess it's a stark world when you look around and you don't have any freinds.