PDA

View Full Version : BCS policy could cost USC 2004 title if NCAA finds major violations

BAMAPHIN 22
05-20-2010, 01:59 PM
If the NCAA deems Reggie Bush guilty, if it vacates victories in which Southern California's Heisman Trophy winner made an appearance five and six seasons ago, it appears likely the Trojans would lose their 2004 national championship, as well.

Quietly in early 2007, as the investigation into USC and alleged improprieties involving Bush and his family was unfolding, college football's Bowl Championship Series drew up a policy calling for teams' BCS appearances and BCS titles to be vacated when major rules violations subsequently are discovered and the institutions are sanctioned by the NCAA. Current BCS executive director Bill Hancock confirmed the provision Wednesday.

Hancock emphasized, "Nothing would happen until the very end of the NCAA process, including any appeals."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/pac10/2010-05-19-bcs-policy-usc-bush_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

X-Pacolypse
05-21-2010, 09:25 PM
The NCAA should have found what it needed to find about USC's alleged "wrongdoings" awhile ago. They'll find Jimmy Hoffa's body before the NCAA makes a ruling on SC.

Namor
05-21-2010, 09:44 PM
The NCAA should have found what it needed to find about USC's alleged "wrongdoings" awhile ago. They'll find Jimmy Hoffa's body before the NCAA makes a ruling on SC.

If it had been a SEC team,they would be in their 2nd year of probation by now.

chrisbaucom
05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
For some reason, I always thought the NCAA loved Pete Carroll and do agree with you Namor regarding any other school already being on probation for the same violations. Now that Carroll's gone and Kiffin is in town, I think they're screwed and the NCAA will put the hammer down on them. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

DphinBillkiller
05-25-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm not a USC fan anyhow.
Let them reap what they sowed.
Cheats, lies and athletic tape.

TedSlimmJr
05-26-2010, 04:28 PM
(U)niversity of (S)poiled (C)hildren is lucky Phillip Fulmer wasn't ever in the Pac-10 is all I know...

Probably wouldn't have mattered though... the NCAA would just let USC impose their own sanctions, lose a few scholarships, and continue to win a high school conference every year and play for BCS money...

Ahhhh....sunshine...palm trees...bikinis....movie stars... It's surely good to be a Trojan... now we know why....

X-Pacolypse
06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Looks like the hammer is going to come down on SC tommorrow.

BobDole
06-09-2010, 11:04 PM
i hope they rape 'em. i hate the trojans - even more so since kiffin decided to tuck tail and flee across the country.

BobDole
06-10-2010, 12:59 PM
and rape them they did. it seems they're getting a two year ban from any bowl considerations, a loss of 30 scholarships, and forfeiting wins from at least the 2004 season. ouch. suck it kiffin.

the PAC 10 almost needs to expand after that - being that USC pretty much is the conference. looks like they're gonna try to get texas, texas a&m, texas tech, oklahoma, oklahoma state and as of today they got colorado. makes you wonder how damn sure they were about what would happen to USC ...

al711
06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
The loss of 30 scholarships is by far the worst of these penalties...it will devastate the depth for at least 3-5 years. IMO thats what killed Bama(okay Shula hurt too)was the loss of scholarships, if none gets hurt you are okay but a key injury or a missed recruit or two and your season is trash. Oh by the way good for them! couldn't happen to a better school!!

BAMAPHIN 22
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
The loss of 30 scholarships is by far the worst of these penalties...it will devastate the depth for at least 3-5 years. IMO thats what killed Bama(okay Shula hurt too)was the loss of scholarships, if none gets hurt you are okay but a key injury or a missed recruit or two and your season is trash. Oh by the way good for them! couldn't happen to a better school!!

USC Hit Hard by Sanctions, Bush Heisman in Doubt

Citing USC for a lack of institutional control in its long-awaited report, the NCAA also put the entire athletic program on four years' probation, took away a total of 30 football scholarships over three years and vacated every victory in which Bush participated in from December 2004 through the 2005 season.

The NCAA found that Bush, identified as a "former football student-athlete," was ineligible beginning at least by December 2004, a ruling that could open discussion on the revocation of the New Orleans Saints star's Heisman. Members of the Heisman Trust have said they might review Bush's award if he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

"I have a great love for the University of Southern California and I very much regret the turn that this matter has taken, not only for USC, but for the fans and players," Bush said in a statement, according to an ESPN report.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/10/sportsline/main6569000.shtml?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.14

X-Pacolypse
06-10-2010, 05:59 PM
USC got hammered. I definately didn't expect the 2 year postseason ban.

BobDole
06-10-2010, 06:23 PM

i don't think its as bad as the 2 year ban myself. how are they gonna get any recruits to come to a team that has no shot of making a bowl bid? that's what USC recruiters say to kids and their parents to get them to go to there - if they come here, they have a legitimate shot at winning a championship. that's where elite players go - to teams they will get national attention and hopefully a title. this will hurt them for 10 years easy - especially with the powerhouses that are about to join the conference. fukt. i love it.

but the 30 scholarships over the next 3 years is also intense. instead of getting like 25 or whatever guys you get like 15? and thats 15 guys you'll have to convince to come with them knowing they won't be playing in any bowl games. gonna be borderline impossible to be even a little relevant for a while.

i can't stress enough how much i love how they came down on USC. but on the other hand, i feel bad for barkley, and all the new recruits - especially the ones kiffin stole from tennessee. the ones that already started summer school are fugged - if they transferred they'd have to sit for a few years. in fact, most of the guys would have to do that if they transferred out. talk about a potential career killer as far as NFL hopes go. yikes.