PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 to be Pac-16

CedarPhin
06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
...it would appear.

The Big 12 meetings are reaching their climax Thursday and Friday in Kansas City with the presidents and chancellors from the league coming together to discuss pressing issues, including sites for championships. (Look for the Big 12 title game in football to stay at Cowboys Stadium for the next three years.)

But when it comes to possible realignment, the Big 12 meetings may be premature.

Why?

Because it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds has maintained that the Longhorns will do whatever it takes to remain the Jones' of college football.
Left out would be Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska and Missouri.

Messages left with Pac-10 officials by Orangebloods.com on Thursday were not immediately returned.

The six teams from the Big 12 would be in an eight-team division with Arizona and Arizona State. The other eight-team division would consist of USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

Wow.

phinnyhenne28
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
i wonder what happens if all these teams join, the big 12 will have to reload with teams from other conferences, tcu, utah, boise, would be canidates in my mind, barring that boise doesn't get accepted into the MWC that is. more than likely with conferences looking to expand, some conferences will die out, perhaps the big east is one of those conferences.

nickademus
06-04-2010, 11:08 AM
there would be no big12.

phinnyhenne28
06-04-2010, 12:30 PM
i don't know if i would say no big 12, no one knows say i can't say for sure. but the big 12 is too big of a power on and off the athletic fields, it's a big money maker. if the pac-10 expands as cedarphin quoted may happen, then more than likely it would do what the big east did in the early 2000's when miami, va tech, and boston college left, just go out and reload the conference. which i don't see the big east doing again if the likes of the big 10 and acc take teams such as rutgers, pittsburgh, cincinnati, or perhaps wvu. that is just speculation though, i know for a fact the big 10 is trying to add mizzou, rutgers, and pitt, and i'm pretty sure nebraska but i can't remember. so i say the big east will be extinct in the coming years. and the big 12 will just be reborn, but lack luster.

TedSlimmJr
06-08-2010, 01:29 AM
I can't believe people can't see what's really going on here....

16 team "super conferences" look good on paper, but this is just another way for the NCAA to keep side stepping the issue and keep the BCS in tact without going to a playoff... It's still about money...

There should be eight 12 team conferences all geographically situated....and several of the teams new to D-1 need to step back down to D-1AA.... they're already irrelevant.... 16 team "super conferences" just makes them even more irrelevant...

..but at least the the Pac-10 and Big-10 can put a stop to this SEC dominance and hogging all the national championships, BCS money, and tv contracts, right? Sure....

Basically, this all boils down to Notre Dame's refusing to join a conference.... ND's belligerence has been a key sore spot for decades in college football....

If they're so hellbent on keeping this flawed BCS system in tact, then you should be required to be part of a conference in order to get your hands on BCS money and/or play in a BCS game....

..AND have a conference championship game...

Yes, talking to you Pac-10/Big-10, etc...

This is going to ruin the landscape of college football the way it has stood for decades and do away with many of the rivalries that made it what it is in the first place...

Texas A&M wants no part of joining the Pac-10, and wants to join the SEC.... meanwhile doesn't mind splitting up with Texas if they go join the Pac-10/Big-10, etc.... where's the rivalry? Nobody in the SEC cares if Texas A&M joins the UN for ****'s sake....

The Big-12 is eventually going to be back to the ol' Southwest Conference days eventually....

The SEC is just going to sit back and see how this all plays out.... as the saying goes..... "It's better to step over all the dead bodies than to get caught in the crossfire"....

nickademus
06-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Good point Ted. It all hangs on Nebraska and Notre Dame at this point. When those decisions are made the dominoes will fall or stay in place. Notre dame stay indy and all hell breaks lose. They go to the big 10 and big 12 stays

X-Pacolypse
06-09-2010, 02:45 PM
According to some reports, people are expecting Nebraska to make the jump to the Big 10 by the end of the week. By the way, if you're going to expand the PAC 10 into the PAC 16, then at the very least it should make sense geographically. Utah, Colorado, Hawaii, San Diego State, Fresno State, and BYU would make a lot more sense than adding the Big 12 teams.

COphinphan89
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM
CFT is reporting that Tom Osbourne has in fact told his staff that Nebraska will move to the Big Ten. So that's the end of the Colorado-Nebraska rivalry and what was left of the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry.

And it looks like the 6 schools in discussion here will all bolt to the new mega-conference. Goodbye Big XII. We will miss you.

Also, think about basketball here. What does KU do?

Well fellow SECers, what happens now?

TedSlimmJr
06-09-2010, 09:13 PM
CFT is reporting that Tom Osbourne has in fact told his staff that Nebraska will move to the Big Ten. So that's the end of the Colorado-Nebraska rivalry and what was left of the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry.

And it looks like the 6 schools in discussion here will all bolt to the new mega-conference. Goodbye Big XII. We will miss you.

Also, think about basketball here. What does KU do?

Well fellow SECers, what happens now?

It's very, very sad for college football purests like myself.... The only positive in this IMO is that the NCAA should be disband soon... and college football is going to be ruled by the conference commissioners...

Hell they might as well, the conference commissioners are already the richest in all of collegiate athletics (other than the highest paid coaches i.e. Saban, Meyer, Kiffin, etc..)... the conference commissioners have all the power finally... and they'll straighten out this BCS mess....

Nebraska to the Big-10 makes some sense though.... The Huskers have the fanbase and endowment to be an asset to the Big-10.... Nebraska has sold out EVERY home game since 1962... THAT is a passionate fanbase... and it makes at least some sense geographically...

I'm not sure what teams the Pac-10 will allow in... because it has to be unanimous among the Pac-10 schools to welcome a new school to the conference... and with the academic standards of places like Stanford, Cal, etc....I'm not sure which Big-12 schools they would accept other than Texas, simply because Texas is college football royalty and brings the big bucks. The Pac-10 has already shot down some schools before (I think around 1990 or so) that wanted to join...If I'm not mistaken, Texas A&M was one of them....

But they may accept A&M as part of a package deal to get Texas....

As for the SEC.... they already have everything under control. There's already a plan in place should all this realignment go down.... all they have to do is hit the "execute" button...

The SEC didn't get where it's at by being reactive.... but proactive...

Adding 2 more schools sounds about right...

COphinphan89
06-09-2010, 09:23 PM
As for the SEC.... they already have everything under control. There's already a plan in place should all this realignment go down.... all they have to do is hit the "execute" button...

The SEC didn't get where it's at by being reactive.... but proactive...

Adding 2 more schools sounds about right...
That's what I was thinking, but which schools? GT and Clemson?

TedSlimmJr
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
That's what I was thinking, but which schools? GT and Clemson?

GT makes some sense from a historical standpoint.... they have a history with the SEC and belonged to it until 1963 I believe... plus, it adds the Atlanta area tv market...

The cons are that GT doesn't exactly have the fanbase to be an asset to the current day SEC.... I think Bobby-Dodd stadium only seats around 35,000 or so.... and most of the state of Georgia outside of Atlanta are Bulldog fans...

Basically, the SEC already has an academic leader with about 30,000 fans in Vanderbilt... I'm not sure what the SEC gains here by adding GT...

Clemson... I could see happening...

Maybe FSU....or even VT...

Virginia Tech has SEC DNA.... large, wild, passionate fanbase....and plays a physical brand of football.... Brings with them the DC area tv markets, etc...

BobDole
06-09-2010, 10:19 PM
i think FSU leads the way in the discussion about which team will possibly enter the SEC. the SEC is the elite conference in college football - and FSU is the highest profile team outside of the conference in the area. not to mention they have a huge rivalry with a team in the conference. i hate FSU with every fiber of my being but i'd love to have them in the SEC.

VT makes the next most sense for me. clemson and/or GT wouldn't be bad but i'm not sure they've got the clout. another team i was thinking about in all this was USF. they're an up and comer in college football - solid program - and its just weird to me they're in the big east. i know this is a massive long shot - b/c of talk about not having the clout or fan base - but i'd welcome them into the conference.

COphinphan89
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't really have a problem with USF or VT.

I wouldn't mind anyone from the ACC either, but I just read this on a Gator board I frequent:

"I can't confirm this but there are stories out there that UF/UGA/USC/UK have agreed to vote together to block any attempt to extend invitations to FSU, scUM, Clemson, Ga Tech and Louisville. If that is the case, we will never hear about it because the vote will take place behind closed doors and invitations will simply be extended to other schools."

Take that FWIW. I would not be surprised if this were true.

BobDole
06-09-2010, 10:52 PM
that's weird. why would we want to block FSU from coming over? nothing but good things would come from that IMO. the other ones make sense in a way though - and no way would i want to have to go up against a charlie strong defense every year. its too bad UM doesn't have more of a commitment to football - they'd be another good one to bring in.

COphinphan89
06-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't know. I wouldn't have any problem with it. But I think it has something to do with being the only school in the state in the SEC. Not just with UF-FSU/UM but with UGA-GT, UK-Louisville, and Clemson-South Carolina too. I know someone can explain this better than I can.

BobDole
06-09-2010, 11:17 PM
slimm will be all over this in no time to shed some light on the subject i'm sure ...

TedSlimmJr
06-09-2010, 11:28 PM
The thing about GT is, they left the SEC willingly.... I'm sure there's not a lot of love lost between GT and the SEC... besides the other factors that I've already mentioned...

FSU makes sense... but FSU and Miami have already had an opportunity to join the SEC and didn't want to... they didn't want to have to play the SEC schedules every year... They wanted to join the ACC and thought they would rule that conference in football.... didn't happen.

UM to the SEC isn't happening to begin with.... they're just not SEC material. They have no fan support outside of the southern tip of Florida.... and very little there. Nobody from the SEC wants to travel halfway to Cuba every year to play in an empty stadium. And they don't bring the tv market.... nobody in the Miami area even watches college football on tv. It's a pro sports town... not enough dollars to go around.

The SEC wants Texas.... and that huge Texas market. Similar to the Pac-10, the SEC would probably accept A&M as a package deal to get Texas.

Louisville, UNC, etc.... all these basketball schools are going to be at the bottom of the barrell on the SEC''s grocery list. College football pays the bills.... expansion is about money.... college football=money. College basketball isn't what it was 15 years ago...

Basically, any University that has a "State", "Tech", University of "a pro sports city", a directional school (South Florida, etc.) or anything else in their title isn't prime pickins' for the SEC....

Texas is....VT is because of their DNA, dedicated fanbase, tv market, and culture..... Florida St. is because of the same culture...

Texas, FSU, or VT would be who the SEC is most interested in...

BobDole
06-10-2010, 02:29 AM
The thing about GT is, they left the SEC willingly.... I'm sure there's not a lot of love lost between GT and the SEC... besides the other factors that I've already mentioned...

FSU makes sense... but FSU and Miami have already had an opportunity to join the SEC and didn't want to... they didn't want to have to play the SEC schedules every year... They wanted to join the ACC and thought they would rule that conference in football.... didn't happen.

UM to the SEC isn't happening to begin with.... they're just not SEC material. They have no fan support outside of the southern tip of Florida.... and very little there. Nobody from the SEC wants to travel halfway to Cuba every year to play in an empty stadium. And they don't bring the tv market.... nobody in the Miami area even watches college football on tv. It's a pro sports town... not enough dollars to go around.

The SEC wants Texas.... and that huge Texas market. Similar to the Pac-10, the SEC would probably accept A&M as a package deal to get Texas.

Louisville, UNC, etc.... all these basketball schools are going to be at the bottom of the barrell on the SEC''s grocery list. College football pays the bills.... expansion is about money.... college football=money. College basketball isn't what it was 15 years ago...

Basically, any University that has a "State", "Tech", University of "a pro sports city", a directional school (South Florida, etc.) or anything else in their title isn't prime pickins' for the SEC....

Texas is....VT is because of their DNA, dedicated fanbase, tv market, and culture..... Florida St. is because of the same culture...

Texas, FSU, or VT would be who the SEC is most interested in...

too bad about UM IMO. they've got the athletes too compete in the SEC - if their recruiting and coaching was what it once was they'd be ideal. damn school is too committed to academics though - which i guess is fine by me since UF has been snagging a lot of those elite south florida recruits.

texas would be great but i know the pac 10 is lobbying hard to get them - and they would easily dominate that conference - as it remains right now at least. plus i'd rather have two elite programs like FSU and VT rather than one elite program and its tag along.

TedSlimmJr
06-10-2010, 06:55 AM
too bad about UM IMO. they've got the athletes too compete in the SEC - if their recruiting and coaching was what it once was they'd be ideal. damn school is too committed to academics though - which i guess is fine by me since UF has been snagging a lot of those elite south florida recruits.

texas would be great but i know the pac 10 is lobbying hard to get them - and they would easily dominate that conference - as it remains right now at least. plus i'd rather have two elite programs like FSU and VT rather than one elite program and its tag along.

Perhaps, but I don't know. Apparently, UM nor FSU felt they could be competitive in the SEC or they would already be in it when they were invited. The SEC would accept UM, but only in a package deal with FSU. It would give the SEC the monopoly on the state of Florida both in terms of recruiting and tv market.

In other words, the SEC would accept FSU without UM, but not vice versa....

If you want to hear what's REALLY ridiculous....

According to a current Big-12 coach (who shall remain nameless for now) the new "mega" Pac-16 wants TWO automatic BCS qualifiers and doesn't want a conference championship game.

"The Pac-10 doesn't believe in a conference championship game," the coach said. "And the coaches in the Big-12 don't like it anyway".

Seriously? :lol: Then what the **** are you playing for then? Obviously just a "participation trophy" and a HUGE tv payout....

In a 16 team "super conference", you could easily have a 3 or 4 way tie for first with no way to determing who the hell the champion is...

It figures that one of these "super conferences" would try to weasel out of actually earning their way to a BCS championship game...apparently they even want to make up their own BCS rules for ****'s sake...

I have NO IDEA why the Big-12 would be against it.... Hell, they've already managed to send a team to the BCS National Championship Game TWICE that didn't even win it's own conference...

Like I said... the SEC wants Texas.... but I don't think Texas wants the SEC. They don't want to open up Texas recruiting the almighty SEC anymore than it already is...

What's amazing is the common theme among all these schools is that none of them believe they could come into the SEC and be competitive. I honestly believe that if all of these schools (with the NCAA's help of course) could come up with a way to make big money without actually keeping score.... they'd do it.

TedSlimmJr
06-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Also, going back to COPhinPhans point about Kansas..... the Big-12 "leftovers" like Kansas, Kansas St., etc., are the schools that I feel worst for in all this... they've flat out been left standing at the alter.

But at least Kansas with that powerful basketball program would likely be accepted in the Big East or ACC should some teams defect from either of those conferences to join the new SEC or Big-10.

Scraps like Kansas St., Iowa St., etc. would probably have to end up joining the new "mega" MWC.....

TedSlimmJr
06-10-2010, 07:34 AM
If you want to know the truth behind the demise of the Big-12 conference.... it's because of extremely weak conference leadership. The conference commissioner has dropped the ball numerous times over the course of the past few years that could have saved the conference.

Nebraska's problems with Texas go way back to the inception of the Big-12....Texas fought and won the battle over partial qualifiers..(Nebraska wanted to keep them under old Big-8 rules... Texas didn't.)

Nebraska's annual rivalry game with Oklahoma was dropped for a rotating north/south schedule.

The conference headquarters were moved from Kansas City to Dallas....and they just awarded the Big-12 championship game to the new Dallas Cowboys stadium.... Tom Osborne was the only A.D. to vote against it....imagine that. :lol:

The money split in revenue is predicated on tv and bowl appearances...so in reality... the rich get richer. (Texas and Oklahoma)

The Big-12 tv deal is weak compared to the SEC/Big-10 tv deals.

Bottom line is neither Texas nor Oklahoma wanted this to happen... but in their minds Nebraska was the key.

Missouri could be replaced if they were to defect to the Big-10...but with Nebraska out of the north now Texas and Oklahoma feel like they have to make a move.

What exactly do I mean by the rich get richer? Bringing the 3 big Texas tv markets along with the Denver market to the existing Pac-10 markets basically ties up the entire west. The new Pac-16 "super conference" would have 2 or the 3 motherlodes of recruiting (California and Texas) in it's backyard... and like I said... I don't think Texas wants to open up it's riches in recruiting to the SEC anymore than it already is.

Colorado has always wanted to be in the Pac-10 because they're a cultural fit. But I believe they were one of the teams that had been shot down in the past from the Stanford's and Cal's, etc... from joining the Pac-10 20 years ago for academic reasons. But all that academic talk is just that now....talk. A Pac-16 realignment will demand a tv contract that rivals that of the SEC/Big-10... or perhaps even more. It's all about money.... and college football is what pays the bills.

As I mentioned... this is really a somber time for college football purists like myself....but as they say... when one door closes another one opens..

..and that new door is going to lead directly to a college football playoff once these 80 or so teams that make up these 5 "super conferences" break completely off from these bleeding heart liberals known as the NCAA and form their own sanctioning bodies (made up of the conference commissioners) and the demise of the BCS.

BobDole
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
i'm all about the demise of the BCS myself. deserving teams get shafted basically every year. now that this is pretty much a lock to happen, i wonder who the SEC will end up with. i don't see us getting texas. i'd love FSU and VT - but i haven't read a word about VT even being in the discussion - and like you said - FSU already turned us down years back. hmmmm. should be interesting.

Namor
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Hey guys..a little scuttlebutt I've been hearing from my dad's cronies up at the Capstone,
and think about it a little before rushing to judgement...but don't be surprised if
West Virgina gets a invite to the SEC.

BobDole
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
i'll take west virginia. absolutely.

another thing i've been wondering about in all of this - what happens to notre dame now? i assume they'll be forced to join one of the upcoming mega conferences - i wonder which conference will end up with that giant revenue chunk.

al711
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
how about WV VT GT and FSU?

BobDole
06-10-2010, 06:03 PM
hell i'd envelop the entire ACC if that's what it takes. and west virginia, USF, notre dame, etc ... who knows how big these conferences are gonna end up - or basically - how intense of a pissing contest this will eventually be. adding monsters like texas and oklahoma will immediately put the pac whatever right up there with the SEC. the SEC will do whatever it takes to remain the elite conference in college football.

TedSlimmJr
06-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey guys..a little scuttlebutt I've been hearing from my dad's cronies up at the Capstone,
and think about it a little before rushing to judgement...but don't be surprised if
West Virgina gets a invite to the SEC.

Absolutely... I think your dad's cronies may understand what this is all about...

This goes back to my point about schools with State, Tech, University of "pro sports city", directional schools, etc... being at the bottom of the barrell on the SEC's grocery list.

Never turn down a University of (enter state here)..... there's only 50 of them... really not even that many because Alaska, Vermonts, Rhode Islands, New York, etc. etc... doesn't even count.

They bring a huge market and a huge following all to themselves. .. and West Virginia also opens up that DC/Baltimore.... perhaps even New York area tv market.

This is going to be a huge pissing contest Bob...these mega conferences are about to start shooting at each other from all angles.... it's going to get uglier before it gets prettier....

I wouldn't be surprised to see congress try to get involved at some point... there's simply way too much money involved and they aren't going to be left out while a bunch of millionaires get richer....

Besides, state legislature prevents a lot of these in-state schools from being seperated.... should two of these "super conferences" go to war over two schools in the same state/conference...

Very, very interesting...

BobDole
06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
nice post as always, slimm. this is gonna get real ugly real fast. there will be a frenzy to absorb some of those big name stragglers that have no choice but to pick a poison. notre dame really, really intrigues me in all of this. i think these conferences are gonna be falling all over themselves to get the irish to join - i mean - who wouldn't? they don't really pose that much of a threat competitively and talk about cashing in.

the big 12, big east, and mountain west are all but done for. the ACC might be as well to be honest. so these new monsters are gonna be the big 10, the pac 10, and the SEC? the ACC has a chance to join this group but they'll have to get creative fast - while competing with the SEC if they don't get absorbed. and everyone else is just more irrelevant i suppose? wow this is gonna get messy.

COphinphan89
06-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Rumors are flying of the SEC extending invitations to VaTech and Texas A&M.

TedSlimmJr
06-11-2010, 12:22 AM
nice post as always, slimm. this is gonna get real ugly real fast. there will be a frenzy to absorb some of those big name stragglers that have no choice but to pick a poison. notre dame really, really intrigues me in all of this. i think these conferences are gonna be falling all over themselves to get the irish to join - i mean - who wouldn't? they don't really pose that much of a threat competitively and talk about cashing in.

the big 12, big east, and mountain west are all but done for. the ACC might be as well to be honest. so these new monsters are gonna be the big 10, the pac 10, and the SEC? the ACC has a chance to join this group but they'll have to get creative fast - while competing with the SEC if they don't get absorbed. and everyone else is just more irrelevant i suppose? wow this is gonna get messy.

Notre Dame would obviously be a huge catch for the Big-10... Notre Dame football has always been it's own brand...but they belong in the Big-10 anyway...

Actually I think the MWC is going to be the other "super conference", with the addition of all the Big-12 leftovers and a few additions (possibly Boise St., Fresno St., etc.)... at least in terms of being an automatic qualifier for the BCS until the powers that be decide what to do with it...

It seems like the ACC and Big East teams that are left over by the potential raid by the SEC/Big-10, are going to have to merge...and try to add some of the better schools from C-USA, MAC, etc..... just in order to stay somewhat relevant as a football conference...

The Big-12 is done once Texas and Oklahoma defect to the Pac-10... and take several siblings with them...history... Actually it was done the instant Nebraska left....

The Big East and ACC are probably done as we know them....once the 2 eastern "super conferences" start plucking the good fruit. They'll have to merge and expand to stay relevant....and come up with a new name for a conference...."Big ACC"... "Eastern Atlantic Conference", etc... who knows....

It's basically going to be about 80 teams in 4 or 5 super conferences.... the rest turn into virtually D-1AA programs.....where a lot of them belong anyway....

But it's always been the NCAA's goal to stick up for the little guy.... I was just listening yesterday to the NCAA talk about how they want to help the little D-1 schools APR scores, scholarship limits, etc.)...but they seem to forget who's paying the bills...

Reguardless of logic or revenue... the NCAA would stick San Jose St. in a playoff just as fast as they would Texas, Alabama, Florida, or Ohio St....

However, I can guarantee that the new "mega" Pac-10, SEC, Big-10, MWC, etc.... won't go along with a playoff that pits their champion against whatever crap the WAC or MAC or whatever spits out... nor will the conference commissioners allow one of these teams to get an automatic bid should the BCS stay in tact for a little while longer....

This is the battle within the battle..... the conference commissioners vs. the NCAA....

BobDole
06-11-2010, 01:07 AM
if the mountain west stays i'll be impressed. they're second tier as it is - they'll need some bigger dogs than fresno st. to remain realistically relevant among the new super powers. i'm gonna be out of my mind and try to predict how this will end up.

SEC

florida
alabama
georgia
LSU
tennessee
kentucky
south carolina
vandy
mississippi st.
ole miss
auburn
arkansas
UM
FSU
VT
GT
clemson
UNC
USF
west virginia
BC
wake
UVA
NC state
maryland
troy
duke

26 teams

big 23

ohio st
penn st
michigan
michigan st
illinois
indiana
iowa
minnesota
northwestern
wisconsin
purdue
louisville
pitt
cincy
syracuse
uconn
rutgers
nebraska
notre dame
iowa st
mizzou
kansas
kansas st

23 teams

pac 22

USC
oregon
oregon st
cal
stanford
arizona
arizona st
UCLA
washington
washington st
colorado
texas
texas a&m
texas tech
oklahoma
oklahoma st
baylor
fresno st
app st
boise st
utah
hawaii

22 teams

i could very easily be totally insane but i could see monopolies like this happen - i think it's gonna get that bad. everyone else is just an afterthought. i also probably forgot a team or 2 - throw 'em in the pac.

also don't know what to do with army, navy, and air force. do they make the cut?

BobDole
06-11-2010, 01:58 AM
i could also see the ACC merging with the big east so all the basketball schools are together. i just think it's gonna get more cut throat than that - these conferences will be competing for the dollas. if the ACC does merge with the big east - look for the pac 10 and the SEC to be raping each other over who gets that coveted texas market. if the ACC merges with the SEC - i think the SEC will let the big 12 secede into the pac 10 b/c a stranglehold on the entire south is good enough.

i can't get enough of this ****. where are all you college football fans?

Possum
06-11-2010, 02:08 AM
i could also see the ACC merging with the big east so all the basketball schools are together. i just think it's gonna get more cut throat than that - these conferences will be competing for the dollas. if the ACC does merge with the big east - look for the pac 10 and the SEC to be raping each other over who gets that coveted texas market. if the ACC merges with the SEC - i think the SEC will let the big 12 secede into the pac 10 b/c a stranglehold on the entire south is good enough.

i can't get enough of this ****. where are all you college football fans?the acc and big east would have to merge especially after the sec comes and take the pick of the litter. but i think the big east and acc will just fill there ranks with the best teams out of the lower conferences. all speculation of course.

BobDole
06-11-2010, 02:25 AM
the acc and big east would have to merge especially after the sec comes and take the pick of the litter. but i think the big east and acc will just fill there ranks with the best teams out of the lower conferences. all speculation of course.

'the pick of the litter' comment is what makes or breaks it. if the SEC decides they want control of all of florida - and convince UM and FSU to come over - along with a team like VT - there won't be enough to salvage IMO. those other teams will pretty much be forced to join ranks just in order to survive. i don't think filling the void with the scraps will be enough to compete with the potential SEC and pac goliaths.

it will hinge on how stacked the pac and SEC get. if pac gets the texas market - or if the SEC gets the ACC - i think there will only end up being 3 conferences - which will probably go smoother - b/c teams will just fall in line. but if the ACC merges with the big east - then you've got the SEC and pac fighting over texas - and the big 10 scrambling for many of the scraps - and it will be a war among those guys fighting to be top dog.

Possum
06-11-2010, 02:35 AM
jesus, almost 80 percent of division 1 football being in 4 conferences.

BobDole
06-11-2010, 02:41 AM
jesus, almost 80 percent of division 1 football being in 4 conferences.

i know man ... crazy. that other like 20% would be forced to drop down a division - where they probably should be anyway - and there's no way around a playoff system. it will all work out for the best in the end IMO. but until then - be ready for these conferences to go after each other hard - especially if it ends up being 4.

TedSlimmJr
06-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Guys this is getting bezerk.... you wouldn't believe the stuff that's going on in the wee hours of the morning as we speak...it's a full fledged war....

First, let me get this out of the way so it makes sense..... Officials from both Texas and Texas A&M met yesterday in a closed door meeting to try to figure out what they're going to do... Texas A&M wants to break away from Texas....and it's getting nasty...

"Screw the over 100 year old rivalry"... as one A&M official put it.. A&M want's to stand on it's own and is tired of following around in Texas' shadow.. being the little brother program. They finally nutted up and told Texas to "suck it"...

Why did A&M suddenly get so brave as to tell big brother off finally? Because they're apparently on the verge of receiving an invitation to the SEC..... they wouldn't need Texas anymore... and it would open up the avenue to Texas recruiting and the Texas market to the SEC..

Apparently, two of A&M's Regents want to join the SEC.... with one of them being none other than Gene Stallings himself... who obviously still has major pull and major clout in the SEC....

The SEC wants Texas... but the bottom line is they're afraid to join... Texas wants to rule whatever conference they're in with an iron fist like they always have without splitting the revenue fairly... which is why Nebraska bolted and the Big-12 collapsed in the first place...

Texas wants to go to the Pac-10....A&M doesn't...and is trying to talk Texas into going to the SEC.... but if Texas won't budge... A&M is willing to split and join the SEC without them...

Mack Brown wants to stay in the Big-12.... basically, Texas can't even get their own head coach and University President on the same page with what to do... much less anybody else...

Colorado is gone... they've already accepted an invitation to the Pac-10...

But here's where it gets really interesting.... the SEC commissioner, Mike Slive (the most powerful man in college athletics) wants two of either Texas, Texas A&M, or Oklahoma... looks like Oklahoma and A&M are the strongest candidates right now to join the SEC... as the battle for Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma reaches it's peak between the SEC and the Pac-10....

If he gets A&M and Oklahoma from the west... he'll also likely want to balance that out by plucking UNC and Duke from the east (ACC).... you CANNOT split UNC and Duke for obvious reasons... they are a package deal...period.

FSU and VT would be the other 2 options from the east (ACC).... but according to Slive, Florida and A.D. Jeremy Foley would likely throw up a road block preventing FSU from joining the SEC...

Guys.... tensions are getting very high in the world of college football right now...

Possum
06-11-2010, 02:46 AM
i know man ... crazy. that other like 20% would be forced to drop down a division - where they probably should be anyway - and there's no way around a playoff system. it will all work out for the best in the end IMO. but until then - be ready for these conferences to go after each other hard - especially if it ends up being 4.

so your big 3 + (acc/bigeast merge + the best from other conferences) = D1 football.

BobDole
06-11-2010, 02:53 AM
so your big 3 + (acc/bigeast merge + the best from other conferences) = D1 football.

no my big 3 would be the pac 10/big 12 merge, the SEC/ACC merge, and the big 10/big east merge - for the most part at least - which i think would go smoother. and D1 football ends there. but who knows if it will go as swimmingly as that - way too many factors can fugg all that up - for instance a&m and texas splitting like slimm said might happen.

i just did the 3 b/c its easier that way - and it makes sense. it all ends up with playoffs anyhow - i see no major need for outright war.

Possum
06-11-2010, 03:07 AM
no my big 3 would be the pac 10/big 12 merge, the SEC/ACC merge, and the big 10/big east merge - for the most part at least - which i think would go smoother. and D1 football ends there. but who knows if it will go as swimmingly as that - way too many factors can fugg all that up - for instance a&m and texas splitting like slimm said might happen.

i just did the 3 b/c its easier that way - and it makes sense. it all ends up with playoffs anyhow - i see no major need for outright war.
outright war sounds fun.

DisturbedShifty
06-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Sorry if this has been asked already, didn't feel like reading all the responses. But will this help bring a more traditional playoff system to college football?

TedSlimmJr
06-11-2010, 03:10 AM
Anytime you have this much money and this much tradition at stake... it's inevitable... it's not going to be pretty...

The teams that are left in the Big-12 all WANT to keep the conference together... it's their first choice...or they wouldn't be meeting to begin with...it's like a brotherhood... but if so much as one more team decides to bolt.... it's just not going to be possible...

It's hanging on by the smallest thread possible now.... sure they all hate each other.... but they're also smart enough to realize they need each other... it's all or nothing...

If Oklahoma and/or A&M get invites to the SEC.... I just don't think they can turn it down... if one of them bolts the other is going to follow..

BobDole
06-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Sorry if this has been asked already, didn't feel like reading all the responses. But will this help bring a more traditional playoff system to college football?

its almost already inevitable. but read the thread, its pretty damn good.

TedSlimmJr
06-11-2010, 03:14 AM

It's a point that has been addressed throughout this thread.... but it's only my opinion...

Take a few minutes and read the thread and if you have any questions after that just ask..

BobDole
06-11-2010, 03:22 AM
It's a point that has been addressed throughout this thread.... but it's only my opinion...

Take a few minutes and read the thread and if you have any questions after that just ask..

so ... am i certifiable with the 3 conferences idea?

TedSlimmJr
06-11-2010, 03:38 AM
so ... am i certifiable with the 3 conferences idea?

Insane? Yes...:lol:

There will be at LEAST 4 "super conferences".... most likely 5... the definition of a "super conference" should actually mean that the conference is an automatic qualifier for a BCS game/money under the current structure, first and foremost..

Secondly, a "super conference" is a conference that has expanded by adding teams... the MWC surely qualifies as a "super conference" if they take in the Big-12 scraps (Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., etc.) and also add a Boise St., Fresno St., etc...

You're already looking at a much stronger MWC, especially with the existing Utah, BYU, TCU, etc...

If ND joins the Big-10, there are no more independents that are BCS eligible.... that bid has to go to somebody...

If the SEC or Big-10 plucks any of the top teams from the Big East or ACC..... or both...

..they would have to merge what's left just in order to survive as a conference....and then expand themselves if they want to remain in the BCS loop and get their hands on BCS money....

So basically you'll have the "mega" SEC, Pac-10, Big-10, MWC, and ACC/Big East merger as "super conferences"...

Did that make any sense whatsoever? :crazy:

BobDole
06-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Insane? Yes...:lol:

There will be at LEAST 4 "super conferences".... most likely 5... the definition of a "super conference" should actually mean that the conference is an automatic qualifier for a BCS game/money under the current structure, first and foremost..

Secondly, a "super conference" is a conference that has expanded by adding teams... the MWC surely qualifies as a "super conference" if they take in the Big-12 scraps (Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., etc.) and also add a Boise St., Fresno St., etc...

You're already looking at a much stronger MWC, especially with the existing Utah, BYU, etc...

If ND joins the Big-10, there are no more independents that are BCS eligible.... that bid has to go to somebody...

If the SEC or Big-10 plucks any of the top teams from the Big East or ACC..... or both...

..they would have to merge what's left just in order to survive as a conference....and then expand themselves if they want to remain in the BCS loop and get their hands on BCS money....

So basically you'll have the "mega" SEC, Pac-10, Big-10, MWC, and ACC/Big East merger as "super conferences"...

Did that make any sense whatsoever? :crazy:

i just wrote this long response and read it back ... and i could hardly make sense of my own logic. it just seems like the least complicated way to figure all this out - and i assumed the BCS was already finito.

with 4 conferences that mountain west will be pretty sad. with 5 really sad. i've tried to put it together with 4 or 5 and can't even begin to sort it out. oiy.

TedSlimmJr
06-11-2010, 04:15 AM
i just wrote this long response and read it back ... and i could hardly make sense of my own logic. it just seems like the least complicated way to figure all this out - and i assumed the BCS was already finito.

with 4 conferences that mountain west will be pretty sad. with 5 really sad. i've tried to put it together with 4 or 5 and can't even begin to sort it out. oiy.

The "mega" MWC would be pretty sad compared to the "mega" SEC, Pac-10, Big-10, etc..... but it would certainly be better than it is now... and it already gets an at large BCS bid...

So the options would be to either take their at large bid away... or strengthen the conference...

At the very least, if a Boise, Utah, TCU, BYU, etc... were to go undefeated in the new "mega" conference, they would certainly have more of an arguement for being in the national title discussion than they do now...

The other thing to keep in mind is the last resort...

Which is that the Big-12 stays in tact..... Oklahoma and Texas don't WANT to split... they have too much history together...

If all the main Big-12 players in this (Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma) can all agree to stick together.... they can keep the Big-12 alive..

...unless Missouri bolts for the Big-10 also...but they won't do it unless Texas and Oklahoma bolt for the Pac-10...

Texas and Oklahoma are in control here.... whatever they decide is what the rest are going to do.... the fate of the conference is in their hands... all they have to do is take in a few teams to replace Nebraska... because one can't do it....

Maybe take in a TCU, Utah, Air Force, etc....

This is basically one giant domino effect....whatever Texas and Oklahoma decides has everything to do with where the rest fall after that...

If Texas and Oklahoma go to the Pac-10..... the SEC will expand.... if not... the SEC will likely stay as it is...

If Notre Dame joins the Big-10.... it may factor into Texas and Oklahoma's decision to join the Pac-10.... and vice versa...

Somebody has to make a decision here eventually... and it boils down to Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and Notre Dame...

One move by any of them is going to set off the domino effect..... and the SEC will react accordingly...

Possum
06-11-2010, 04:24 AM
soooo, just thinking, with 4 conferences, you have a 12 team playoff, conference winners get byes, with essentially 4 wild card games, elite 8, final 4 and the championship.

X-Pacolypse
06-15-2010, 02:11 PM
According to some reports, people are expecting Nebraska to make the jump to the Big 10 by the end of the week. By the way, if you're going to expand the PAC 10 into the PAC 16, then at the very least it should make sense geographically. Utah, Colorado, Hawaii, San Diego State, Fresno State, and BYU would make a lot more sense than adding the Big 12 teams.

At least I got one team right. LOL. So, with the Big 12 staying intact, who's the 12th team in the Pac 10? Perhaps, Utah?

utahphinsfan
06-17-2010, 06:52 PM
At least I got one team right. LOL. So, with the Big 12 staying intact, who's the 12th team in the Pac 10? Perhaps, Utah?

Now that its offical. You are correct twice.

I am beyond excited to have the U (my alma mater) be #12 in the new Pac.

Hindsight being 20/20... I thought Texas & their lackies joining the PAC was a bad idea.

So glad A & M grew a pair and that greed exists in Austin.

COphinphan89
06-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Good for Utah. They've earned it. Although BSU probably feels a little slighted right about now.

utahphinsfan
06-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Good for Utah. They've earned it. Although BSU probably feels a little slighted right about now.

Now, Boise & BYU can battle it out for who has the most obnoxious, self-righteous, fanbase.:chuckle:

COphinphan89
06-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Now, Boise & BYU can battle it out for who has the most obnoxious, self-righteous, fanbase.:chuckle:
JohnBeckHOF is on the scene.

CedarPhin
06-21-2010, 08:11 PM
HOF's got to be blowing a fuse. BYU's a ****ty school though, I think they have like one graduate program, while UU has more than a few.

Pac-10 made a good choice with the two schools, though I think they could have added Hawaii instead of one of the two they picked and still would have been pretty well off.

Rafiki
06-22-2010, 12:29 PM

Riiiight. Just make sure your AD doesn't push back BSU and Utah's 2011 game.

Joe from WY
07-18-2010, 10:31 PM
shuldah teekn wyoming!...lol...thynd been gettn a hole stete...lol...nawt jus a sity...lol